OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 01:28:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Matrix Revolutions  (Read 8485 times) Average Rating: 0
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« on: November 06, 2003, 10:16:04 AM »

So....anyone go to see Matrix Revolutions yesterday at its opening?

It wasn't that great, and was personally a bit of a disappointment.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2003, 11:07:03 AM »

The reviewer in the "Washington Post" wasn't impressed. He said it was mostly mechanized bug-oids attacking Zion and fights like in the first two.

Ebor (saving movie money for The Return of the King :bounce: Grin

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2003, 11:22:25 AM »

I would not waste my money on this drivel. The first one was barely tolerable after the first hour, and the second one (which, fortunately, the DVD was given to me to watch) was nothing but -- run here, fight there, run there, fight here.

Most boring thing to come out since "Magnolia"
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2003, 11:24:42 AM »

Right.

The concept was cool at first, but as you said it soon became drivel.

The dialogue in the 2nd was rather corny, and the 3rd is even cornier, sad to say.

I guess see it only if you're a die hard Matrix fan, otherwise as Ebor said, wait to see Return of the King which debuts in theaters next month.

Bobby
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2003, 11:35:39 AM »

What's "Return of the King"?
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2003, 11:39:04 AM »

Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

3rd book in Tolkien's trilogy
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2003, 11:41:44 AM »

Ahhh, more drivel. I walked out of the first one about halfway through!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2003, 11:42:22 AM by TomS » Logged
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

Anglican (but not Episcopagan)

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2003, 12:00:03 PM »

Blasphemy!!!  Shocked

How can one not like LORD OF THE RINGS???   Smiley

"My Lord and My God!"--Doubting Thomas, AD 33
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2003, 12:03:58 PM »

Tom was talking about the Matrix being drivel and not LOTR Smiley

Rest assured, Tolkien is still in good standing but the Walkcoksi (sp) brothers are not.

Bobby
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2003, 12:04:52 PM »

Oh wait, i stand corrected. I didn't see TOm's latest post!

How dare you Tom, you movie hater Smiley

Bobby
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2003, 12:11:55 PM »

Blasphemy!!!  Shocked

How can one not like LORD OF THE RINGS???   Smiley

'cause it was the same thing over and over....and over....and over. Run away! Drat! The big bad men on the big bad horses caught up with us! Fight again. RUN AWAY! ...... etc. etc.

Oh! Oh! Guess WHAT! The old man that we THOUGHT was the friend of the first old man is actually BAD! (Gee, didn't see THAT one coming!  Tongue)

Arrghhhh!!! Let me tell you my real problem. I HATE movies where the major characters get their ASSESS kicked over and over yet NEVER DIE! I mean, the old men fight, throw each other up against walls with magic  Shocked yet neither of them DIE. And finally the BAD old man puts the GOOD old man on the top of the castle. Why not just KILL him??!!!!
Arrrghhhh!!!

I really can't say much more about it 'cause I think I left at the point where the BAD old man is tearing up the landscape to build an army. Later my wife (who LOVES these types of movies) said something about that that was why the TREES hated him (huh?) (LOL)  Roll Eyes

I just never have liked fantasy or science fiction stories. But gimme a movie like PATTON any day!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2003, 12:22:08 PM by TomS » Logged
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2003, 12:25:32 PM »

PATTON was quality, I certainly enjoyed Black Hawk Down as well. We Were Soldiers was a very real and sad depiction of Vietnam.

Bobby
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2003, 12:32:10 PM »

I hated Black Hawk Down. I stopped half way through. I wish movies like that were not allowed to be made--I don't want such images in my mind.

I liked Matrix 2; it made me think about reality, choice, free will, etc.

Lord of the Rings is just the best.  That movie had it all: good cinematography, acting, music, etc.

My favorite movie is Bram Stroker's Dracula, though.

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2003, 12:34:18 PM »

Black Hawn Down is one of my favorites because it depicts the reality of war, and the craziness of the world. Not to mention it is the story of the US in Somalia verbatim.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2003, 12:34:39 PM »

Your loss.  (and I agree with the blasphemy comment) Have you even read any of the books?  Your comments make you seem VERY short-sighted.  You seem to want to take everything at face value.  Think big picture in LotR.

Something tells me you wouldn't know a good movie if it hit you in the face.

Definitely like Revolution - thought it was better than Reloaded.  The Trinity/Neo "love scene" lasted too long, but for the most part, it was a good movie.  Techie movies like Star Wars/Matrix need to minimize any attempt at romance - it comes off cheezy no matter what.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2003, 12:37:34 PM by Elisha » Logged
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2003, 12:50:36 PM »

Your comments make you seem VERY short-sighted.  Something tells me you wouldn't know a good movie if it hit you in the face.

Elisha,

LOL!!! It is truly pathetic that you would react so strongly to my personal opinions of a MOVIE ! Geez! And then you make judgements about my whole character and intellect based upon what YOU consider to be a GOOD story/movie.

REPENT!!!  Wink

« Last Edit: November 06, 2003, 12:51:56 PM by TomS » Logged
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2003, 01:00:43 PM »

Youngsters,

BEST movies, " Shane" & Treasure of the Sierra Madres.

New stuff is computer generated trash.

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2003, 01:04:00 PM »

The Brother SPEAKS the truth!!
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2003, 01:06:41 PM »

For what it's worth, I liked the Matrix, didn't like Reloaded as much but for curiosity's sake will watch Revolutions, liked the two LOTR movies although to be honest I don't understand all the fuss surrounding them (and the new one), liked Black Hawk Down a lot, and enjoyed Patton.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2003, 03:22:40 PM »

For what it's worth, I liked the Matrix, didn't like Reloaded as much but for curiosity's sake will watch Revolutions, liked the two LOTR movies although to be honest I don't understand all the fuss surrounding them (and the new one), liked Black Hawk Down a lot, and enjoyed Patton.  

Yes, I order the Trilogy in preference as 1-3-2, with 1 definitely a notch above the other 2.  The last two each had parts that either bothered me or were sappy due to content and/or length.  Worth seeing them all if you liked the first.

Mor, what do you mean by "all the fuss"?  Do you mean by the critiques of them?  I think that the LotR purists are the most upset by the changes/omissions in the storyline (my biggest complaints), overall, excellent movies though.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2003, 04:09:03 PM »

Youngsters,

james

Computer generated trash? Are you aware at how difficult it is to create those images? It is true artwork.

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
MsGuided
Pharmakolytria
Elder

St. Anastasia

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2003, 04:18:24 PM »

Youngsters,

james

Computer generated trash? Are you aware at how difficult it is to create those images? It is true artwork.

anastasios

Yes, also, the real acting comes into play where you have to do a scene pretending that there is an 80 foot mechanical cockroach attacking you Wink
« Last Edit: November 06, 2003, 04:18:52 PM by MsGuided » Logged

"Forgive me that great love leads me to talking nonsense." Barsanuphius
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2003, 04:42:40 PM »

'cause it was the same thing over and over....and over....and over. Run away! Drat! The big bad men on the big bad horses caught up with us! Fight again. RUN AWAY! ...... etc. etc.

Then you left too soon.  The "big bad men on the big bad horses" (the Nazgul) weren't in the second half of the movie.  Grin

Arrghhhh!!! Let me tell you my real problem. I HATE movies where the major characters get their ASSESS kicked over and over yet NEVER DIE! I mean, the old men fight, throw each other up against walls with magic  Shocked yet neither of them DIE. And finally the BAD old man puts the GOOD old man on the top of the castle. Why not just KILL him??!!!!
Arrrghhhh!!!

Because the wizards aren't actually human--they are Maia ("angelic-type" beings) that took human form to combat  Sauron, the Dark Lord of the Rings (who himself is also a Maia but more powerful).  Of course, in your defense, you'd have to read the book to know that, since the movie(s) (so far) do not explain who the wizards (the "Istari") really are.

I really can't say much more about it 'cause I think I left at the point where the BAD old man is tearing up the landscape to build an army. Later my wife (who LOVES these types of movies) said something about that that was why the TREES hated him (huh?) (LOL)  Roll Eyes

The second movie picks up more on the TREES-hating-the-BAD-old-man (Saruman) theme. Smiley

I just never have liked fantasy or science fiction stories. But gimme a movie like PATTON any day!

I understand.  I have a buddy who doesn't like sci-fi/fantasy either.  It's your preference--was just kidding about the blasphemy thing...well...sort of.   Wink

TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2003, 04:53:55 PM »

The second movie picks up more on the TREES-hating-the-BAD-old-man (Saruman) theme. Smiley

Well, my wife wants to rent the second one (again). So, maybe I will go get a bottle of Bacardi Vanilla and Coke and try to make it through it!

Grin
« Last Edit: November 06, 2003, 04:55:10 PM by TomS » Logged
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2003, 04:55:29 PM »

Yes, I order the Trilogy in preference as 1-3-2, with 1 definitely a notch above the other 2.  The last two each had parts that either bothered me or were sappy due to content and/or length.  Worth seeing them all if you liked the first.

I don't know much about the history of the Matrix, and whether they originally intended to make two subsequent movies to the original.  I thought the first Matrix was the best because it combined special effects with an intelligent plot (not sure if that's the word I'm looking for).  It involved a lot of deep stuff, I think, and it made me think, which is something I love in a movie.  But to me it ended in a way that seemed to make further movies useless, because the first came to a satisfying end, and so when Reloaded came out, I thought it wasn't as thought provoking as the first, and the special effects were way overdone.  I still want to see Revolution, though.  

Mor, what do you mean by "all the fuss"?  Do you mean by the critiques of them?  I think that the LotR purists are the most upset by the changes/omissions in the storyline (my biggest complaints), overall, excellent movies though.

Well, I've never read the books, so I suspect that has something to do with it.  I just see a lot of hype surrounding the films, whether it is people waiting in anxious expectation for months and months for the next film, or purists complaining about where they went wrong, etc., etc.  I watched the first two films, and I enjoyed them, but if you asked me, I probably still wouldn't be able to tell you who was who, or remember every detail of the plot, or anything like that.  I saw the first, and then I saw it again before I saw the second.  When the third comes out, I will watch it, but only after watching the first two first.  I like them, I am just not nearly as excited about them as everyone else seems to be.

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

LatinTrad

www.unavoce.org www.christendom.edu

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2003, 05:01:48 PM »

Well, I've never read the books.

HERESY!!!!!  There is a HERETIC on this board!!  BURN HIM!!!! Wink  And he is an ADMIN nonetheless!!!  

I'm gonna have to PROSELYTIZE you, my fine friend!! Grin

LatinTrad, Tolkienite
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2003, 05:03:00 PM »

Oh, as if the false accusation of Monophysitism wasn't enough... Tongue

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

LatinTrad

www.unavoce.org www.christendom.edu

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2003, 05:09:15 PM »

Sorry Mor.  I guess you do get enough flack for being a heretic . . . Wink
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2003, 05:31:43 PM »

I'm reporting you all for senior abuse, in fact I'm not sharing my Patron Tequila with any of you.

james

Or my Stolies, B&B, Sam Adams, Tecate, heck I'm closing my bar.

Hypo is the exception.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2003, 05:34:31 PM by Jakub » Logged

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2003, 05:40:28 PM »

Well, my wife wants to rent the second one (again). So, maybe I will go get a bottle of Bacardi Vanilla and Coke and try to make it through it!

Grin

LOL!  Cheesy   You can do it!

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2003, 05:48:30 PM »

Dear me.  I seem to have started something and contibuted to rampant thread wandering.   Embarrassed  

Well, I was told that there's an old Irish saying that:

"If we all liked the same thing, there wouldn't be enough to go around."

Ebor ("Ash nazg")

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2003, 05:50:54 PM »

Well, I've never read the books.

HERESY!!!!!  There is a HERETIC on this board!!  BURN HIM!!!! Wink  And he is an ADMIN nonetheless!!!  

I'm gonna have to PROSELYTIZE you, my fine friend!! Grin

LatinTrad, Tolkienite

Tut, tut!  One is not a heretic, just because one has not had exposure to the texts.  Grin  

Ebor (So many books, so little time)

Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2003, 06:21:26 PM »

Jakub, Tecate rules!!! Wink

I agree with Mor about the hype surrounding LOTR and I have read the books. I don't think Tolkien would much like the phenomenon himself, but I do have friends who, having read the books and seen the movies, were inspired to study linguistics or classical languages. The movies are quite good, but the hype seems rather misdirected.

Matt
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2003, 06:32:53 PM »

Speaking for myself, I'm interested in the Matrix only for its cheap flair (It's Reeves [Lebanese-born B.T.W.], people, and L.O.T.R. it isn't; do you expect something of serious caliber here?).  This means I'll accept nothing but IMAX as an appropriate medium.  Now the only relevant confirmation I need is on the quality and quantity of special effects as they compare with the previous two films.

In IC XC
Samer
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2003, 08:58:04 PM »

I'm reporting you all for senior abuse, in fact I'm not sharing my Patron Tequila with any of you.

james

Hypo is the exception.

What about the third Pole posting here? Huh
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2003, 09:19:04 PM »

james

Hypo is the exception.

What about the third Pole posting here? Huh

You're too young to drink.
Justinianus
Elder

« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2003, 09:50:21 PM »

I did not like the first Matrix movie, so i do not plan on seeing the others.  As far as science fiction goes, my favorite SF movie is A L I E N.

"If we truly think of Christ as our source of holiness, we shall refrain from anything wicked or impure in thought or act and thus show ourselves to be worthy bearers of his name.  For the quality of holiness is shown not by what we say but by what w
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2003, 11:21:25 AM »

BIG LTR fan, here, but purist...have the DVDs, but books still rule.  Should have stuck to the story line better. Still, can ANYONE else think of a better use for New Zealand?  Wink

Vicki

I agree.  I have the FOTR Extended version and will buy the TT extended version when it comes out on the 18th.  I love the movies, but I still love the story line of the books even more.  Some of the changes from the books worked good for the big screen (eg: the elfs fighting at Helm's Deep in TT; the fight with the cave troll in FOTR) and others I could have done without (eg: Aragorn falling over the cliff while riding the warg in TT; Arwen greeting the fellowship before Rivendell in FOTR).  Anyway, just 1 1/2 months til ROTK!!

arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2003, 11:42:13 AM »

Just a note about the Matrix, it is a great film to use for youth retreats. Most teenagers have seen it and like the film, but if you sit down with them and stop it at certain points, it can help explain Orthodox Theology. This is espcialy true with the end of the first film where Neo dies, all the good guys can't believe he died, all the bad guy think they have won because he died, and then Neo "resurects" and he becomes so bright and powerful that the bad guys are defeated. Sound familar?

Joseph
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2003, 01:20:19 PM »

Bobby, we're not too young, right?
Edward Yong

Faith: Greek-Catholic (for the moment)

« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2003, 06:13:08 AM »

Am I allowed to comment on certain Christian resonances I found in Revolutions? I don't want to be accused of spoiling it for anyone Wink

"The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr" - Mahomet
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2003, 10:41:18 AM »

Edward,

Why don't you start a new thread entitled "The Matrix Revolutions (Spoilers)" so that way people will know to stay out if they haven't seen it.  Or perhaps just call it it "Christian Influences in the Matrix Trilogy (spoilers)".

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2003, 11:32:39 AM »

FWIW I liked the first Matrix a lot. Didn't see the others.

Most teenagers have seen it and like the film, but if you sit down with them and stop it at certain points, it can help explain Orthodox Theology. This is espcialy true with the end of the first film where Neo dies, all the good guys can't believe he died, all the bad guy think they have won because he died, and then Neo "resurects" and he becomes so bright and powerful that the bad guys are defeated. Sound familar?

Good point, but... this concept/belief is the exclusive property of Eastern Orthodoxy? Next I expect somebody on this board to claim Greeks or Russians really discovered America.

TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2003, 11:38:26 AM »

What? Russians no discover Amerika? IS OUTRAGE!!
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2003, 11:44:36 AM »

You can use the 'hidden' text feature.

THere is a hide button on top like this.

[hide]HIDDEN[/hide]
Tags: movies 
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: