OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 26, 2014, 03:32:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: U-[forbidden] backed up by local authorities tried to seize an Orthodox church  (Read 1278 times) Average Rating: 0
orthodoxlurker
Supporter & Defender of Fr Ambrose (Irish Hermit) - banned
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian - NOT a phanariote
Jurisdiction: Serbian Patriarchate under siege

al-Saabir yaraa al-Hurriyah

« on: May 29, 2009, 08:58:47 AM »

http://www.interfax-religion.com/?act=news&div=6077

28 May 2009, 18:26
Uniates backed up by local authorities tried to seize an Orthodox church in West Ukraine

Moscow, May 28, Interfax – The Uniate community headed by a priest made an attempt to seize an Orthodox church in town of Kolomiya, the Ivano-Frankovsk Region of Ukraine, press service of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church has reported on Thursday.

Soon afterwards, the city council took a decision to close the Annunciation church for reconstruction and then give it to the Greek-Catholic community.

The Orthodox community initiated a criminal case and asked to consider the decision of local authorities illegal.

Bishop Panteleimon of Ivano-Frankovsk and Kolomiya wrote corresponding letters to Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia, Metropolitan Vladimir of Kiev and All Ukraine, the Head of the Ukrainian Greek-Catholic Church cardinal Lubomyr Huzar and Uniate bishop Nikolay Simkaylo.

“In view of all stated above, Lubomyr Huzar’s statement about his wish to meet with His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia “tête-à-tête” during his visit to Ukraine seems rather enigmatic. We would rather believe, the cardinal wants to repent,” the UOC press service concluded.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 09:00:17 AM by orthodoxlurker » Logged

Curse the Pope, for he is the root and cause of these disasters! - St. Nektarios of Aegina

You don't get to circumvent your post moderation by calling out the moderators in your signature. ~Veniamin, Global Moderator
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 09:44:17 AM »

Uniates backed up by local authorities tried to seize an Orthodox church in West Ukraine

Moscow, May 28, Interfax – The Uniate community headed by a priest made an attempt to seize an Orthodox church in town of Kolomiya, the Ivano-Frankovsk Region of Ukraine, press service of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church has reported on Thursday.

Soon afterwards, the city council took a decision to close the Annunciation church for reconstruction and then give it to the Greek-Catholic community.

The Orthodox community initiated a criminal case and asked to consider the decision of local authorities illegal.

Bishop Panteleimon of Ivano-Frankovsk and Kolomiya wrote corresponding letters to Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia, Metropolitan Vladimir of Kiev and All Ukraine, the Head of the Ukrainian Greek-Catholic Church cardinal Lubomyr Huzar and Uniate bishop Nikolay Simkaylo.

“In view of all stated above, Lubomyr Huzar’s statement about his wish to meet with His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia “tête-à-tête” during his visit to Ukraine seems rather enigmatic. We would rather believe, the cardinal wants to repent,” the UOC press service concluded.

More of that "taking-care-of-our-flock's-needs" I see.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 11:33:13 AM »

Reply;  So much for this so called complete and total religious freedom within Ukraine that is claimed by some!!!!!

Orthodoc

Fixed Quotes. --Fr Anastasios
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 11:42:42 AM by Fr. Anastasios » Logged

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 03:30:13 PM »

Let me guess. The Church was once owned by Greek Catholics and taken away from them at one point and given to Eastern Orthodox. Now the Greek Catholics are upset and wan their Church back. I am only guessing that this may be the case but I have heard the same story over and over again coming form Ukraine.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Orthodoc
Archon

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 03:38:36 PM »

Let me guess. The Church was once owned by Greek Catholics and taken away from them at one point and given to Eastern Orthodox. Now the Greek Catholics are upset and wan their Church back. I am only guessing that this may be the case but I have heard the same story over and over again coming form Ukraine.

You are right.  Your response is only a guess.  Things like this would not still be happening if both the UGC's and the RC's had not pulled out of the Quardriparte Agreement they signed in the 1990's giving the parish members the right to decide what and who they wanted to be. 

Orthodoc
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 03:39:44 PM by Orthodoc » Logged

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 03:40:51 PM »

You are right.  Your response is only a guess.  Things like this would not still be happening if both the UGC's and the RC's had not pulled out of the Quardriparte Agreement they signed in the 1990's giving the parish members the right to decide what and who they wanted to be. 

Orthodoc
The Quadriparte Agreement should be burned.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Orthodoc
Archon

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 03:48:26 PM »

Orthodoc
The Quadriparte Agreement should be burned.

Really!!!!  Please explain why an agreement giving each parish the right and freedom to vote on whether they wanted to remain Orthodox Catholic or be Ukrainian Greek Catholic should be burned in favor of using force to take over a parish.  Do you say that because if there had been such an agreement in place in 1596 there would be no U (forbidden) today?

Orthodoc

ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 03:53:39 PM »

At Brest and Uzhhorod ALL Churches that the Vatican took were owned by the Orthodox.  The mother church of St. George in Lviv is built on the site of the Orthodox Cathedral.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 04:23:11 PM »

Reply;  So much for this so called complete and total religious freedom within Ukraine that is claimed by some!!!!!

Orthodoc

Fixed Quotes. --Fr Anastasios

Well, it would seem they got the temple for completely and tolatally free. Roll Eyes

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 09:05:13 AM »

If I am reading the inscription write (not big enough and not enough coffee), the Church dates from the 16th century, i.e. it predates the "union"of Brest. Gee, in that case, I wonder who built it?

http://orthodoxy.org.ua/uk/mijkonfesiyni_vidnosini/2009/05/25/24234.html

Orest
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 10:54:13 AM »

If I am reading the inscription write (not big enough and not enough coffee), the Church dates from the 16th century, i.e. it predates the "union"of Brest. Gee, in that case, I wonder who built it?

http://orthodoxy.org.ua/uk/mijkonfesiyni_vidnosini/2009/05/25/24234.html

Thanks for the link.  It is interesting to read the comments too on that site.

Just a reminder to everyone that the Union of Brest in 1596 really does not apply here because this church is located  in Galicia.  The bishop of Galicia was one of the bishops who did not sign any requests to Rome for union.

Galicia only became part of the Catholic Church after the 3rd partition of Poland in the 18th century, when it became part of the Austrian Empire.

And the last Orthodox monastery in Galicia was closed down by Austrian troops in 1785.

Tags: persecution Ukraine 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: