OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 09:56:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finnish priest running for European Parlimaint may face Expulsion  (Read 2263 times) Average Rating: 0
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« on: May 19, 2009, 05:49:31 PM »

Candidate Mitro Repo could face expulsion from priesthood and Orthodox Church
Fifth century rule could lead to removal
http://www.hs.fi/english/article/Candidate+Mitro+Repo+could+face+expulsion+from+priesthood+and+Orthodox+Church/1135246083246

Mitro Repo, a priest of the Finnish Orthodox Church who is running for the European Parliament on the ticket of the Social Democratic Party, could face expulsion from the Orthodox priesthood, and possibly from the Orthodox Church itself.

Repo has been summoned to attend a meeting of the Council of Bishops of the Orthodox Church, under the leadership of Archbishop Leo.
     The invitation mentions sections of two old canonic rules from the second and fifth centuries, which Repo can be seen to have violated.
     The sixth Apostolic Rule forbids a “bishop, presbyter, or deacon” of the church from taking on worldly tasks, on pain of removal from his post.
     The 81st rule of the Holy Apostles states that it is not proper for a bishop or presbyter to “surrender to any worldly administrative matters”.

Instead, he should dedicate his time to ecclesiastical matters, as “nobody can serve two masters”.

Even more severe is the seventh rule approved at the the Council of Khalkedon in 451, which orders that clerics and monks in the church must not take on military service or any worldly offices. Those who do so, and who do not repent, would face expulsion from the church.

Previous reactions to Repo’s candidacy have been limited to speculation that he would have to temporarily relinquish his role as priest, and not wear his cassock while campaigning.

Helsingin Sanomat has learned that Mitro Repo has not been able to prepare for his confrontation with the bishops, because he has not been given clear questions that he is expected to answer.

The Finnish bishops have even been in touch with the Ecumenical Patriarchate in Istanbul over the matter.

The view of Archbishop Leo is straightforward. He wrote earlier this year in the Finnish Orthodox publication Analog:

“The canonic tradition of the Orthodox Church takes a negative view of the participation of priests in politics. The background is that of keeping Caesar and God in their own areas. A priest who teaches the truth of God in church cannot, in the same role, move into the field of politics, where the basis of decision-making is never truth, but only necessity.”
      The Repo case is also of interest to Minister of Justice Tuija Brax (Green).

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Theoprovlitos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 08:02:23 PM »

Now this is what I call hypocricy on behalf of the Finnish Synod.

We should note that Fr Mitro Repo belongs to the "opposition" in the diocese of Helsinki and has publicly confronted innovative ideas, such as ordination of women by the Finnish Orthodox Church.
Robert W
Self-appointed forum herald
Elder

Jurisdiction: Finland

Love is no feeling

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 08:20:05 AM »

Shocked Finland sure have been "hot stuff" when it comes to the news section of this forum.  Grin

The short story by a finn (me)

Father Mitro: An altogether good guy who for some strange reason want to run in the EU election.

Response from HH Archbishop Leo: Father Mitro will not be able to function (or dress) as a priest while campaigning or while in office.

Pesonally I think Archbishop Leo has handled this quite well.

EDIT: The headline "...expulsion from priesthood and Orthodox Church" is purely sensational, there have been no talk about "expulsion from the Orthodox Church" only about his position within the Church.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 08:30:37 AM by Robert W » Logged
Jake

Faith: Eastern orthodox

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 09:41:36 AM »

I thought Fr. Repo was on a 3 year Leave of absence from active ministry?  Has that term come to an end?
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 10:06:26 AM »

Shocked Finland sure have been "hot stuff" when it comes to the news section of this forum.  Grin

The short story by a finn (me)

Father Mitro: An altogether good guy who for some strange reason want to run in the EU election.

Response from HH Archbishop Leo: Father Mitro will not be able to function (or dress) as a priest while campaigning or while in office.

Pesonally I think Archbishop Leo has handled this quite well.

EDIT: The headline "...expulsion from priesthood and Orthodox Church" is purely sensational, there have been no talk about "expulsion from the Orthodox Church" only about his position within the Church.

My apologies if the headline was inaccurate, I was merely copying what had been written in the article. I wasn't trying to "add more fuel to the fire."

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 10:32:12 AM »

O, Finland!  Lips Sealed
Robert W
Elder

Love is no feeling

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 12:24:01 PM »

I thought Fr. Repo was on a 3 year Leave of absence from active ministry?  Has that term come to an end?

Might be, I don't actually know but it sounds familiar. However, a leave of absence does not automatically prevent a priest from performing priestly functions.

My apologies if the headline was inaccurate, I was merely copying what had been written in the article. I wasn't trying to "add more fuel to the fire."

Grin I know you didn't write the headline. It is the the newspaper Helsingin sanomat that is being sensational.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 01:10:51 PM »

Finland is so much trouble lately.  Oh well, at least they still have Wintersun.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 01:11:01 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 10:26:06 AM »

After hearing Father Mitro the Council of Finnish Bishops published yesterday a bulletin in which they forbid him performing priesty functions and using priestly symbols. They base their decision on 6. and 81. Apostolic Canons and on 7. Canon of the Council of Chalcedon and explain briefly in the bulletin why the Orthodox Church does not accept policital activity of her priests. Father Mitro may ask for removal of ban after he has ceased his political activity.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 03:13:47 AM »

He've got in:

http://coptreal.com/ShowSubjectEn.aspx?SID=20689
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 03:14:02 AM by mike » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Robert W
Elder

Love is no feeling

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 05:50:17 AM »

Cheesy You broke the news for me mike. I have not read any newspapers yet.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 06:07:07 AM »

It's interesting that he got 10 thousands more votes than there are EO in Finland.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Robert W
Elder

Love is no feeling

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 09:55:50 AM »

It's interesting that he got 10 thousands more votes than there are EO in Finland.

Not really surprising at all (to me here). I don't think he received a higher percentile of orthodox votes than from the general public.
He didn't brand himself as the "orthodox" alternative. I think he tried for the "cares for people" alternative, and apparently he succeeded Cheesy.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 10:14:32 AM »

Cheesy You broke the news for me mike. I have not read any newspapers yet.

Repo, or Father Mitro as he is known by most Finns, has written numerous books and columns on a variety of subjects, including depression and school shootings, and has appeared on many television programmes always wearing his black robe.
You all have school shootings.  I thought that was only Violent Gun America.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Robert W
Elder

Love is no feeling

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 04:35:18 AM »

Repo, or Father Mitro as he is known by most Finns, has written numerous books and columns on a variety of subjects, including depression and school shootings, and has appeared on many television programmes always wearing his black robe.

Yes the phenomena of school shootings is spreading. My parish lost a member in the Kauhajoki tragedy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kauhajoki_school_shooting

It is very likely that Mitro got elected because he seems like a man that actually cares about people and the current state of our society, while other politicians seems to care more for themselves or their party.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2009, 06:45:56 AM »

Yes the phenomena of school shootings is spreading. My parish lost a member in the Kauhajoki tragedy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kauhajoki_school_shooting

Memory eternal!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags: Finland 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: