OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 04:31:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Beliefs  (Read 1061 times) Average Rating: 0
the_quest

OrthodoxChristianity.net

« on: November 05, 2003, 12:49:37 PM »

I have found the Orthodox beliefs under discussion on several different forums in the past few months and most of the participants were not of the Orthodox faith.  I suspect that a lot of misinformation has been given about your beliefs.  I am somewhat familiar with your faith from others I have known in the past but am probably confused myself so with my confessed ignorance I am wondering if anyone here would care to take a stab at answering the following issues that I have seen come up;

What is the Orthodox position on the concept of Mary as the Queen of Heaven - Mary's Assumption and Immaculate Conception, eternal torment w/ hope of universal salvation or salvation for all who accept Christ, do you have a celibate pastorate.  

Also, are all of the orthodox churches under a single church government or are all independent i.e. Serbian Orthodox - Greek - Russian -etc. do they all make their own rules and regulations?

Wow, that’s a lot.   Grin
« Last Edit: November 05, 2003, 12:53:48 PM by the_quest » Logged

Si hoc legere scis, nimium eruditionis habes.
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2003, 08:09:37 PM »

I have found the Orthodox beliefs under discussion on several different forums in the past few months and most of the participants were not of the Orthodox faith.  I suspect that a lot of misinformation has been given about your beliefs.  I am somewhat familiar with your faith from others I have known in the past but am probably confused myself so with my confessed ignorance I am wondering if anyone here would care to take a stab at answering the following issues that I have seen come up;

What is the Orthodox position on the concept of Mary as the Queen of Heaven - Mary's Assumption and Immaculate Conception, eternal torment w/ hope of universal salvation or salvation for all who accept Christ, do you have a celibate pastorate.  

Also, are all of the orthodox churches under a single church government or are all independent i.e. Serbian Orthodox - Greek - Russian -etc. do they all make their own rules and regulations?

Wow, that’s a lot.   Grin

Hey...I am not myself Orthodox but I feel as if I can adress your concerns/questions...

As for Mary the Orthodox Church teaches, as the Catholic Church does, that she was a sinless virgin her whole life and after death the lord raised her from her tomb and was taken up into heaven. The Orthodox Church believes in and celebrates the Assumption of Mary, but has not declared it a dogma.

In fact I attend Assumption Greek Orthodox Cathedral in Denver.

Now...the Immaculate Conception is a harder issue. From my understanding as a Roman Catholic the Catholic dogma states Mary was free from the stain of Orginal sin. Orthodoxy firmly rejects this. Why? Because the Orthodox Church does not believe we are born with the guilt of Adam and Eve's sin. The Orthodox Church believes we are born with the effects of their sin, but not their sin. So the problem with the Dogma of the Immaculate Conception is not Mary, but Original sin.

Orthodoxy does not teach all who believe in Jesus Christ are automaticaly saved. Salvation is a life long process that requires much more than a quick"I believe."

You mentioned a Celibate pastorate. As the early Church did, Orthodoxy allows married men to be ordained to the priesthood, and celibate men too ( but this I have found is discouraged). But Priests cannot get married.

All Orthodox Churches are not under a single Church government, however they are all united under Jesus Christ our Lord and saviour in Faith, canons, and most of the time litrugy.

Hope this helps....GBU!

« Last Edit: November 05, 2003, 08:12:21 PM by Ben » Logged

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
Justinianus
Elder

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2003, 07:31:22 PM »

You can explore some of the links attached to the portal buttom above.

Also, The Orthodox Church in America, www.oca.org, has a number of resources to help explain Orthodoxy.  The site also has a question and answer section.

Also, your method of asking specific questions and getting answers back from board members can help.

"If we truly think of Christ as our source of holiness, we shall refrain from anything wicked or impure in thought or act and thus show ourselves to be worthy bearers of his name.  For the quality of holiness is shown not by what we say but by what w
Tags: dogma doctrine 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: