OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 06:42:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm new  (Read 2062 times) Average Rating: 0
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« on: November 04, 2003, 07:40:27 PM »

Hey everyone.....

My name is Ben. I am a devout Roman Catholic (SSPX) and I am considering a conversion to Orthodoxy, well more than just considering...planning would be a better word. Sadly I live about 3 hours away from an active Orthodox parish, but no worries because I can get there about 2/3 times a month. I have met with the Orthodox priest there and everything is happiness  Smiley.

I am considering a converstion to Orthodox because:

1) The Orthodox Church has an unbroken line of apostolic succesion from Christ himself. In other words Orthodoxy has the history.

2) Not only does the Orthodox have the history but it also has the faith. The Orthodox Church teaches the same apostolic faith taught in 1000 and 100 A.D., no other denomination can claim this.

3) The Orthodox Church worships and praises God in a wonderful and proper liturgical manner. No dry sermons, no pep rallies, but a liturgy that makes you question wether you are in heaven or on earth.

4)This connects to number 2: Orthodoxy doesnt change its liturgy and theology every 50 years, it is the same faith yesterday, today, and forever!

5) The Orthodox Church has produced countless numbers of Saints.

These are just a few reasons. I could of course right a list of all my reasons, but that would ...well...take forever!

I joined this little online Orthodox community to learn more about the Orthodox Church and its members. I have read a breadth of books on Orthodoxy but I just need to talk to Orthodox Christians..if you know what I mean.

Thanks and God bless!

Hope to get to know all of you!!!

In the love and peace of Christ,
                                        Ben

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
Karamazov
Elder

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2003, 07:51:18 PM »

Ben, I keep running into you everywhere!
Justinianus
Elder

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2003, 08:35:06 PM »

Ben,

Welcome!  I agree with your reasons, for they are also what brought me from the Roman Church to Orthodoxy.

Talking to Orthodox Christians is a good thing.  There are many Orthodox on this forum is varying stages. Some are contemplating conversion, some are recent converts, some converted some time back, and some have been Orthodox all their lives.  

It is also essential that you continue your talks with an Orthodox priest.  Most of the posters are laymen and may not know Orthodox Theology as in depth as a priest would.  But all of us are in the Body of Christ and by talking and praying together we can all be spiritually enriched by our communion.

"If we truly think of Christ as our source of holiness, we shall refrain from anything wicked or impure in thought or act and thus show ourselves to be worthy bearers of his name.  For the quality of holiness is shown not by what we say but by what w
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2003, 08:49:03 PM »

Ben, I keep running into you everywhere!

I hope thats a good thing...lol

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2003, 08:51:00 PM »

Ben,

Welcome!  I agree with your reasons, for they are also what brought me from the Roman Church to Orthodoxy.

Talking to Orthodox Christians is a good thing.  There are many Orthodox on this forum is varying stages. Some are contemplating conversion, some are recent converts, some converted some time back, and some have been Orthodox all their lives.  

It is also essential that you continue your talks with an Orthodox priest.  Most of the posters are laymen and may not know Orthodox Theology as in depth as a priest would.  But all of us are in the Body of Christ and by talking and praying together we can all be spiritually enriched by our communion.

Thank you very much and please pray for me. Like many converts I am confussed on many issues and wonder if my call to Orthodox is truly from God, I am in much need of prayers. I am in contact with a wonderful Orthodox priest but most of all I need all of your prayers! And assured that you will all be in my prayers!

Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2003, 08:52:27 PM »

CORRECTION: Thank you very much and please pray for me. Like many conveting to Orthofoxy I am confussed on many issues and wonder if my call to Orthodox is truly from God, I am in much need of prayers. I am in contact with a wonderful Orthodox priest but most of all I need all of your prayers! And be assured that you will all be in my prayers! *

Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2003, 08:54:21 PM »

CORRECTION: Thank you very much and please pray for me. Like many conveting to Orthofoxy I am confussed on many issues and wonder if my call to Orthodox is truly from God, I am in much need of prayers. I am in contact with a wonderful Orthodox priest but most of all I need all of your prayers! And be assured that you will all be in my prayers! *

ok thats it I really need to learn to type..and spell for that matter! lol

let me try again..hehehe

CORRECTION: Thank you very much and please pray for me. Like many converting to Orthodoxy I am confussed on many issues and wonder if my call to Orthodoxy is truly from God, I am in much need of prayers. I am in contact with a wonderful Orthodox priest but most of all I need all of your prayers! And be assured that you will all be in my prayers!

irishorthodox

St. Padraig

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2003, 09:23:46 PM »

Welcome Ben,

I truly believe what you say you are looking for is in Orthodoxy.  Being a member of forums like this can be a good thing, but as you may already be aware your priest is your guide, (I assume) your confessor, and your official' contact to Orthodoxy.  It is his duty to act as your spiritual guide.  These boards are not here to substitute for him.  These boards may introduce you to controversies within Orthodoxy, and there may discussion as to how one should do this or that.  On these things, again, it is you priest to whom you should go.

Having said that, I am glad to see you here and hope to get to know you well.

In Christian love,

We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.   Robert Wilensky
Know the difference between success and fame.
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2003, 09:50:30 PM »

Dear irishorthodox,

Thank you...

I understand that the Orthodox priest that I ahve been in contact with and have met with is my spiritual guide to Orthodoxy. But as  have said I live 3 hours away from him, and every time I have a question or difficulty I can't meet with him right away, and since I am not yet Orthodox he can not hear my confession.

I joined Orthodoxchristianity.net not to find spiritual guidance but to get input, advice, prayer and freinds.

Thanks and I hope to get to know you too!!!

arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2003, 10:17:50 PM »

Ben,

Welcome to the forum. I hope we don't scare you away from the Church (joke, kinda)!

I noticed something with your post, and figured this might help you. You can go back in and edit a post that you have posted. Go back to that post and there should be a modify button, for when you need to modify it.

Also I noticed you are in Colorado, I know Colorado is a big state but I also know there are lots of Orthodox parishes there. If you don't mind sharing what part of the state are you in?

« Last Edit: November 04, 2003, 10:19:24 PM by arimethea » Logged

Joseph
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2003, 11:12:51 PM »

Hey Arimethea!

Thanks for letting me know I can correct my previous posts...lol..thats funny...anywho...

I live in Carbondale, Colorado, 1.5 hours away from a Greek Orthodox mission that has a priest come and celebrate Divine Liturgy about 3 times a month, and 3 hours way from any active Orthodox parish with a full-time priest.

I currently go the 3 hours to attend divine liturgy and meet with a priest at the Greek Orthodox Cathedral in Denver (Assumption Cathedral).

Thanks and God bless!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2003, 11:13:35 PM by Ben » Logged

arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2003, 01:16:46 AM »

Sound like you live in the middle of Ski Country, God Bless on your journey I hope we can help.

Joseph
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2003, 01:18:09 AM »

lol yep....ski country for sure...ttyl:)

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: