Author Topic: Re: Use of icons in the Oriental Orthodox Church  (Read 12649 times)

Offline Alpo

• Lying Chalcedonian Liar
  • Taxiarches
Re: Re: Use of icons in the Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2012, 09:33:43 AM »
An iconoclast saint = a saint who destroyed icons?

I thought "Iconoclast" who is against use of icons, deems it as sinful and improper for Christians. I understood that "were against icons" meant exactly that.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 09:37:18 AM by Alpo »
Quote from: Severian
the people on this forum have to stop taking themselves so seriously. None of us are some modern-day Athanasius, we all just have nothing better to do.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2012, 09:36:41 AM »
An iconoclast saint = a saint who destroyed icons?

I thought "Iconoclast" who is against use of icons, deems it as sinful and improper for Christians.

The word has both meanings: to be against the use of icons, and to destroy icons. The principle is the same.
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline Suryoyutho

« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2012, 09:42:22 AM »
Okay, I read that it literally means "image breaker".

But apparently they wrote short comments (passing by) against their usage in their writings, but the feeling I got when I was told about it is that they were worried that it might become idolatry so I don't know about deeming it as sinful.
The Tur Abdin Timeline - A timeline of Tur Abdin (Syriac for "the Mountain of the Servants [of God]"), the heartland of the Syriac Orthodox Christians, a hilly region located in upper Mesopotamia, between the Tigris and Euphrates.

Offline Severian

• Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me and help my unbelief!
  • Taxiarches
  • The Patriarch Saint Severus of Antioch
    • St. Jacob Baradeus' Orthodox Christian Fellowship
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Alexandria (Coptic)
Re: Use of icons in the Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2015, 02:58:06 AM »
3. Mor Severus of Antioch and Mor Philoxenus of Mabbug were against the use of icons. It wasn't a main issue at all to them and they only mentioned it as short comments in their texts.
Source? :police:
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 02:58:13 AM by Severian »
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world. -The Lord Jesus

The Saviour is made of elements which are distinct from one another yet He is not two Persons. God forbid! For both natures are one by the combination. -St. Gregory Nazianzen

Offline Severian

• Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me and help my unbelief!
  • Taxiarches
  • The Patriarch Saint Severus of Antioch
    • St. Jacob Baradeus' Orthodox Christian Fellowship
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Alexandria (Coptic)
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2015, 03:11:39 AM »
From Severus of Antioch by Pauline Allen and CTR Hayward

After his flight, Severus was accused by the clergy of Antioch of the stock crimes of embezzlement, conspiring with Jews and sorcery; a further, more original, allegation was that he had removed gold and silver statues of doves, representing the holy Spirit, which hung above the baptismal fonts and altars in his patriarchate.51 Both Severus and Philoxenus fell foul of accusations of iconoclasm regarding doves, but in Syria these birds were sacred to the goddess Aphrodite, and their removal should rather be seen in the context of stamping out pagan practices.52

These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world. -The Lord Jesus

The Saviour is made of elements which are distinct from one another yet He is not two Persons. God forbid! For both natures are one by the combination. -St. Gregory Nazianzen

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Protostrator
  • All who love ZZ, honour ZZ!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Czech Lands
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2015, 12:02:15 PM »
From Severus of Antioch by Pauline Allen and CTR Hayward

After his flight, Severus was accused by the clergy of Antioch of the stock crimes of embezzlement, conspiring with Jews and sorcery; a further, more original, allegation was that he had removed gold and silver statues of doves, representing the holy Spirit, which hung above the baptismal fonts and altars in his patriarchate.51 Both Severus and Philoxenus fell foul of accusations of iconoclasm regarding doves, but in Syria these birds were sacred to the goddess Aphrodite, and their removal should rather be seen in the context of stamping out pagan practices.52

Interesting...I wonder if it can be definitely known that these were pagan elements as opposed to being tabernacles in the shape of a dove.  Such were in use in the Christian East at least a century or two before Ss Severus and Philoxenus.   
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

New thread topic.  Rate the sexual attractiveness of members of OC.net on a scale of 1-10.

Mor Ephrem: 11/10

Offline Father Peter

• Archon
    • British Orthodox Church
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2015, 02:58:32 PM »
I can vaguely remember a canon about such things, but can't find it of course. I think it was a live issue at some time and in some place.
Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington