OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 07:18:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is It OK For Orthodox to Attend Protestant Churches?  (Read 329 times) Average Rating: 0
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« on: May 21, 2009, 04:03:10 PM »

Being new to Orthodoxy, I have a question:

We live in the deep south (Mississippi) which is a heavily Protestant region. Our family converted to Orthodoxy about one year ago. My Father-in-law is a devout Protestant Christian, and my brother-in-law has just become a pastor of a very fundamentalist Protestant church. My Father-in-law is very open minded in a genuine godly way. He has accepted our family's decision to enter into the Orthodox Church, and is always interested in learning more about our Orthodox tradition. But my brother-in-law is very close-minded, and rejects any Christian tradition that is not "Fundamentalist Baptist."

So my question is this: From time to time my wife attends my Father-in-law's church; and sometimes our children go with her. I have not forbidden this, because I have felt that as long as they are learning about the Bible and Christian morality then this is a positive thing. But I do fear that they may be misled by unorthodox doctrines and influences.

I must remind you that we live 7 hours away from our Ethiopian Orthodox Church in Atlanta, so this poses a problem. So, I wanted to know if it is OK for my family to attend Protestant churches from time to time. I know it is forbidden to receive the sacraments in any Church other than a non-Chalcedonian Church. But is it OK for them to attend a Protestant church as long as they don't take the sacraments?

I am hesitant to allow them to attend my brother-in-law's church, since he is kind of a "my way or the highway" type of guy. He's a good fellow, and he and I are on the same page as far as morality and family discipline. But I'm afraid that he will try to push unOrthodox ideas on my children.

Sorry to be so  long in asking such a simple question!

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: