OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 09:41:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pictures of Concelebrated Oriental Orthodox Liturgy  (Read 2476 times) Average Rating: 0
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong." - Carl Kraeff
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Lion of Judah, Lion of Arabs, Lion of Everyone

« on: November 03, 2003, 07:45:09 PM »

Here's a link with some pictures from a recent concelebration of Oriental Orthodox hierarchs in America.  

http://groups.msn.com/SOCM-FORUM/concelebratedooliturgy2003.msnw

"Best of all, Mor Ephrem won't trap you into having his baby." - dzheremi

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

"You are consistently one of the cruelest posters on this forum." - William
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2003, 08:13:47 PM »

Nice pics, Mor, although about three of them were, unfortunately, fuzzy.  This appeared to be a very colorful celebration with Armenian, Coptic, Syriac and Syro-Malankara prelates taking active part.  An Ethiopian priest is shown chanting.

Now, for the sake of liturgical harmony and continuity, the Liturgy of only one of the Oriental Orthodox Churches could actually be used, I assume; otherwise, you'd have liturgical chaos, or "mish-mosh."  The Rite of which OO Church prevailed in the concelebration?

Hypo
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2003, 08:58:01 PM »

the host church's liturgy is the base of the liturgy with hymns from other liturgies/traditions taken into this framework.  So it was the Copitic liturgy this time.

anastasios

Check out my personal website with 130+ articles: www.anastasioshudson.com

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2003, 09:49:25 PM »

Anastasios is right.  The rite of the host church is that which is used.  I regret that some of the pictures were fuzzy, and that there were fewer than I hoped, but I'm thankful that they are online this time.  Last year, I don't remember anyone hosting pictures of the concelebration online.

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

Karamazov
Elder

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2003, 10:12:41 PM »

Speaking of concelebration...do you have any idea, Mor, about the status of the OO and the EO since the Joint Commission of the Theological Dialogue between the Orthodox Church and the Oriental Orthodox Churches proposed the lifting of anathemas, agreed to at Chambesy, Geneva, in 1993?
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2003, 02:50:48 AM »

Others are probably better suited to answer your question.  Thus far, I think the work of the Joint Commission is one of those things that, while great, is being prayed over and thought about in both communions, but nothing concrete has been done on a wide scale.  In certain places, it is allowed for members of one Church to commune at the other.  I don't have a problem with this so much.  In at least one instance (Antioch), it seems that the Orthodox Patriarch of Antioch and the Greek Patriarch in the same city allow for concelebration in some instances, which is something that I don't see a particularly urgent need for, and which I have mixed feelings about.  Because I feel that EO and OO essentially believe the same things, it doesn't bother me on that level, but I still think it is premature for Orthodox hierarchs to sanction concelebration with the Greeks as in the Antiochian case.  So a lot of work needs to be done, with a lot of sobriety and prayer, but I think it is a step in the right direction.

arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2003, 03:02:20 AM »

The Orthodox Patriarch of Antioch and the Greek Patriarch are the same person and the same church so of course they concelebrate.

Joseph
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2003, 03:12:14 AM »

By "Orthodox Patriarch of Antioch", I was referring to the Syrian Orthodox Patriarch of Antioch versus the Greek one.  I'm sorry for any confusion.

Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2003, 03:28:09 AM »

Smiley The "Greek" (i.e., Eastern) Orthodox Patriarch of Antioch and All The East is, yup, an ARAB, not a Greek!  This was not always so in the past.

The Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America under the primacy of His Eminence, Metropolitan-Archbishop +PHILIP [Saliba] recognizes and honors His Beatitude, +ELIAS IV, the "Greek" Orthodox Patriarch of Antioch, as its Patriarch.

Hypo
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2003, 06:19:28 PM »

Smiley The "Greek" (i.e., Eastern) Orthodox Patriarch of Antioch and All The East is, yup, an ARAB, not a Greek!  This was not always so in the past.

The Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America under the primacy of His Eminence, Metropolitan-Archbishop +PHILIP [Saliba] recognizes and honors His Beatitude, +ELIAS IV, the "Greek" Orthodox Patriarch of Antioch, as its Patriarch.

Hypo

Isn't that +IGNATIUS IV (not ELIAS)?
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2003, 08:54:30 PM »

Yes.  Hypo confused him with his predecessor.

In IC XC
Samer
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2003, 08:58:46 PM »

Thanks for the correction, Eliseus!   My memory is just not up to par anymore.  Yes, indeed, the Greek Orthodox Patriarch of Antioch is His Beatitude, IGNATIUS IV, an Arab.  I don't know where I came up with the name of ELIAS IV.  Embarrassed  Is there a Patriarch somewhere with this name? (If not, I'll take it as my patriarchal name when I'm enthroned somewhere---won't say where!)  Wink

Hypo
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2003, 10:20:23 PM »

[I don't know where I came up with the name of ELIAS IV.    Is there a Patriarch somewhere with this name?]

The current Patriarch's immediate predecessor, as I mentioned.

In IC XC
Samer
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2003, 11:22:17 PM »

Thanks, Samer.

I've reached the age where I sharply remember things that happened 25 or so years ago as if they were yesterday, while sometimes I can't even remember what happened yesterday, a few days ago, or even a few minutes ago.  And all time seems to have disappeared and blended into the present for me.  Please forgive me, brothers and sisters, for my age-induced slip-ups.  I'm mortified!  Embarrassed

Hypo
Thomas Daniel (Reji)
Chevalier
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Malankara Archdiocese of Syriac Orthodox Church

Proud to say belongs to Syriac Orthodox Church

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2003, 05:23:48 AM »

Dear brothers in Christ
Thanks for visiting my Forum Photo gallery and making the comments and clarifications. Due to some personal problems I was unable to join in the discussion of this community. Hope very soon I will be able to join back.
Please remember me in your prayers.
In His Love
Thomas Daniel (Reji)

Oh.. Morth Mariam Yoldath Aloho (Mother Of God)Pray For Us
Tags: unity 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: