OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 08:40:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christological Controversies  (Read 1154 times) Average Rating: 0
ambrosemzv

Pray unto God for us, Holy Ambrose of Optino!

« on: December 25, 2003, 04:03:47 PM »

Peter Farrington, in the "Did You Know?" thread on the "Free For All" forum:

Those who came over from the errors of our friends in the EO during the Christological controversies

Peter, I though most Oriental Orthodox had concluded, by and large, that the apparent schism following upon the Council of Chalcedon was the result of inadequate understanding, by both sides, of the linguistic nuances used by the other side.  So, what are these "errors," according to you?

Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne comprend pas.  -Pascal
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2003, 04:42:36 PM »

I was speaking slightly tongue in cheek and thinking back to the period within the Christological controversies.

I'm writing an article at the moment about the Tome of Leo for someone which will put the anti-Chalcedonian response to it in context and tease out the reasons why it was considered un-Orthodox. I will also be considering how it has been further clarified by Constantinople II and other later Chalcedonian fathers. And then considering the prospects for it being accepted as an Orthodox statement, hedged about and glossed where appropriate to remove ambiguity. This is not the same as saying that there were no historical reasons for rejecting it.

I hope to have the article finished by the end of the holiday, so bear with me.

Of course I have no doubt that the EO today are completely Orthodox, but I am also well aware of the various currents of thought present in the 5th/6th centuries which made people on all sides legitimately wary.

On this special day the last thing I want to do is present a list of reasons why the anti-Chalcedonians believed that they needed to wall themselves from what they believed to be heresy and heterodoxy.

Bear with me

Peter Theodore

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: