OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 05:42:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 985 times) Average Rating: 0
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« on: November 03, 2003, 07:27:07 PM »

Since I recently began posting here, I thought it might be best to briefly introduce myself. I recently gave up discussions on another popular forum and at the suggestion of some people, decided to become more active over here at OC.net.
My name is Peter Hatala(although I've generally gone by my middle name "Josh(ua)" for most of my life. Grandpa and Dad's names were/are Peter so I ended up with it too, but my mom happened to like Josh more so that's what stuck). After having spent 4 years in Boston, MA  recently moved to (very) far Western MA. I tutor/teach at a small boarding school out here in the wilderness and attend a parish of the Russian Church Abroad in Springfield, MA.
Those are the basics.

Thanks to anastasios and the other moderators for providing this forum!

-Peter/Josh, etc.

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2003, 03:02:33 AM »

Peter,

I have read many of your posts at the other forum.  I'm glad to have you here, and look forward to future discussions.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2003, 03:40:43 AM »

Peter, you must be attending St. Nicholas Orthodox Church in West Springfield--it's the only ROCOR church in the Springfield, MA, area.  I occasionally attend Services there and know your rector, Father Brendan Crowley, and his matushka.

I am a parishioner at St. Peter and St. Paul Russian Orthodox Church (OCA) at 118 Carew St. in Springfield proper.  We're having a concert this Friday evening, Nov. 7, at 7:15 pm featuring a group of 10 children of various ethnic groups from Saraktash settlement, Orenburg Region, Russia, to benefit the Holy Trinity House of Mercy in Saraktash.   The children's adopted father, a Russian Orthodox priest, father of 53 adopted children in all now, will be with them and will answer questions after the concert.  Please let Fr. Brendan know--and I hope to see you there Friday night as well!

Hypo-Ortho
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2003, 03:55:31 AM »

Hypo-Ortho and David,

Thanks for saying hello.
Hypo- You'll be happy to know that a flyer for the Children's concert is posted at St. Nicholas Church. I just recently found out about the concert, from my mom surprisingly enough, and would very much like to go- unfortunately, I start working in the evening so I may not be able to go. Though maybe I'll try ditch the students for the night and try to attend.
I came to Sts Peter and Paul for the Exaltation of the Cross this past September. Maybe I saw you there? You should stop by St. Nicholas again some time soon...

-Peter/Josh

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2003, 04:30:03 AM »

Bogoliubstsy<<I came to Sts Peter and Paul for the Exaltation of the Cross this past September. Maybe I saw you there? You should stop by St. Nicholas again some time soon..>>

In all likelihood, you did see me Peter/Josh.  I was singing with the choir. I believe I was the only male in the choir that evening.  

With our new rector, Father Michael Korolev, you'll be happy to know that Services at SS P&P have been "expanded" and the All-Night Vigil is now served on the Eves of Great Feasts rather than simply Great Vespers with Litiya as you experienced before.

I'll try to make it to Vigil at St. Nicholas on the next Great Feast on the Julian Calendar if my calendar is not conflicting with something at my church, or you could try to make it to Vigil at my church on Thurs., Nov. 20, at 6 pm for the Feast of the Entry of the Theotokos into the Temple.  Then we can meet!   Cool

Hypo
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: