OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 02:36:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mormon church wants more compassion for gays  (Read 451 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: December 06, 2012, 09:51:45 PM »

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Mormon leaders made their most significant outreach yet to gays and lesbians, unveiling a new website Thursday that encourages church members to be more compassionate in discussions about homosexuality.

Church officials insist they haven't changed the Mormon teaching that marriage is only between a man and a woman and that same-sex relationships are sinful. However, the website states that Mormons should be loving and respectful toward gays and lesbians, while appealing to gay and lesbian Mormons to stay in the church.
Church leaders say in the presentation that gay and lesbian Mormons who are not in same-sex relationships can have "full fellowship in the church," including holding the priesthood and participating in temple rituals — a privilege reserved only for church members in good standing. And the church said it would no longer "necessarily advise" gays to "marry those of the opposite sex."

"Same-sex attraction itself is not a sin, but yielding to it is," the website states. "However, through repentance Jesus Christ will offer forgiveness."

OK, so in other words, the Mormons have the same position as the Catholics.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 12:29:59 AM »

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Mormon leaders made their most significant outreach yet to gays and lesbians, unveiling a new website Thursday that encourages church members to be more compassionate in discussions about homosexuality.

Church officials insist they haven't changed the Mormon teaching that marriage is only between a man and a woman and that same-sex relationships are sinful. However, the website states that Mormons should be loving and respectful toward gays and lesbians, while appealing to gay and lesbian Mormons to stay in the church.
Church leaders say in the presentation that gay and lesbian Mormons who are not in same-sex relationships can have "full fellowship in the church," including holding the priesthood and participating in temple rituals — a privilege reserved only for church members in good standing. And the church said it would no longer "necessarily advise" gays to "marry those of the opposite sex."

"Same-sex attraction itself is not a sin, but yielding to it is," the website states. "However, through repentance Jesus Christ will offer forgiveness."

Wow, I'm surprised they made such a radical shift.

I wonder if this means they're removing the part about homosexuality from the baptismal interview as well.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 12:30:24 AM by Nephi » Logged
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 01:33:28 AM »

I wonder if this means they're removing the part about homosexuality from the baptismal interview as well.

You shouldn't be surprised; I've been saying for a while that if you give it thirty years, the Mormons will have a revelation from God declaring gay marriage.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 01:39:27 AM »

You shouldn't be surprised; I've been saying for a while that if you give it thirty years, the Mormons will have a revelation from God declaring gay marriage.
I think I'm more surprised over how sudden it was than surprised of it happening at all. I wonder if granting black access to priesthood was this sudden.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 01:58:31 AM »

The irony is that the Mormon church is more Christian than most of the traditional Christians on this.

soderquj

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOAA, Metropolis of Denver

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 11:08:27 AM »

Why surprised, this is typical operating procedure.  A teaching is publicly debated and vigorously attacked/dissected/argued and the church after seeing the PR damage takes action to change/soften the official Church stance, and create an opportunity to retain or recruit new members.

Examples:
Blacks in the priesthood.
Pictures of Christ in Churches (For as long as I was a Mormon you would only see Joseph Smith pictures in churches, this changed a few years ago).
now Gays.

There has been discussions that crosses are not bad and there was never a church teaching to prohibit them. Watch given time you will see them in the churches and on Mormons.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 11:14:50 AM by soderquj » Logged

O God, cleanse me a sinner and have mercy on me.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 03:24:17 PM »

Where's the radical shift? Did Mormonism officially teach that simply "being homosexual" itself was a sin?

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 05:16:28 PM »

Where's the radical shift? Did Mormonism officially teach that simply "being homosexual" itself was a sin?
In the article:

Church leaders say in the presentation that gay and lesbian Mormons who are not in same-sex relationships can have "full fellowship in the church," including holding the priesthood and participating in temple rituals — a privilege reserved only for church members in good standing.

They couldn't do these things before. So I'd say yes, even if not "officially."
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 05:18:43 PM »

In the article:

Church leaders say in the presentation that gay and lesbian Mormons who are not in same-sex relationships can have "full fellowship in the church," including holding the priesthood and participating in temple rituals — a privilege reserved only for church members in good standing.

They couldn't do these things before. So I'd say yes, even if not "officially."
I believe it has been done before.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 05:20:41 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 05:22:32 PM »

Something like it been done before.
Interesting. Maybe the shift has been more gradual than I was aware of, but I'm sure one could still find more instances of members losing their temple recommends over it than not. Until now, at least.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 09:05:39 PM »

Why surprised, this is typical operating procedure.  A teaching is publicly debated and vigorously attacked/dissected/argued and the church after seeing the PR damage takes action to change/soften the official Church stance, and create an opportunity to retain or recruit new members.

Examples:
Pictures of Christ in Churches (For as long as I was a Mormon you would only see Joseph Smith pictures in churches, this changed a few years ago).
now Gays.

There has been discussions that crosses are not bad and there was never a church teaching to prohibit them. Watch given time you will see them in the churches and on Mormons.

Don't forget though that both with blacks in the priesthood and this issue, much of the debate and arguing and attack has come from members of the Mormon Church.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 09:48:51 PM »

Examples:
now Gays.

Don't forget though that both with blacks in the priesthood and this issue, much of the debate and arguing and attack has come from members of the Mormon Church.
The two issues are a bit different: one (the Black priesthood issue) involves returning to a previous position, whereas the other (the gay issue) involves greater empathy towards a group of people (who are still prohibited from being sexually active). Black priests did exist until Brigham Young prohibited them; the LDS church returned to its previous position on Black priesthood, in 1978.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 10:25:18 PM »

The two issues are a bit different: one (the Black priesthood issue) involves returning to a previous position, whereas the other (the gay issue) involves greater empathy towards a group of people (who are still prohibited from being sexually active). Black priests did exist until Brigham Young prohibited them; the LDS church returned to its previous position on Black priesthood, in 1978.
I didn't realize that Brigham Young was the one to prohibit it, but it does explain why the non-LDS branches never, to the best of my knowledge, had a similar prohibition.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: