OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 22, 2014, 10:31:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just a random act of kindness  (Read 4388 times) Average Rating: 0
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #135 on: December 07, 2012, 05:46:43 PM »

Well I had a draft written to Charles, but I deleted it. I wasn't trying to impress you nor anyone. Just trying to get you to actually open your eyes up to reality. I'm rather tired of the same rhetoric that is parroted without any critical thinking. The fact that I am pointing out deficiencies amongst Christians in regards to ending "poverty" or meeting solvency, says more than it really should.

But what I'm really saying is that unions were necessary in the past but serve no purpose in the modern age. I trust our corporations implicitly to not tear every penny possible out of my flesh and, when I am too run down to work anymore, feed my still breathing body into the furnaces of industry that choke the sky and poison the water. Hail Mammon, Hail.
I see that you haven't defined for us yet what you mean by "poverty".
It doesn't matter how I define it, I am pointing out how it is defined by you and the rest. It doesn't exist, we are all too entitled. Remember, I asked the question first and never got an answer.
Because how I define "poverty" is irrelevant to my statement that the Gospel doesn't call us to alleviate poverty, a statement I made only in reply to a post by That person. If there's anyone who owes us a definition of the word "poverty", it's That person, not me, since he was the one who implied that it's our job to alleviate it.
This seems decent enough from what I've read. Feel free to offer critique of it.
How the Census Bureau Measures Poverty
Poverty Thresholds: dollar amounts the Census Bureau uses to determine poverty status
HHS Poverty Guidelines: a different poverty measure, used by the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
CPS Definitions and Explanations: terms used in Current Population Survey (CPS) reports -- includes many topics, not just poverty
Variables used to construct alternative income definitions [XLS – 21k]
Poverty Definition Applied in the American Community Survey
make up your mind on which one you like, and get back to us.
Also, I'm really curious what Kerdy considers "rights," since that's what a lot of his arguments hinge upon.
Not any more than yours does.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #136 on: December 07, 2012, 06:35:08 PM »

Also, I'm really curious what Kerdy considers "rights," since that's what a lot of his arguments hinge upon.
I already addressed this.  Also, this is not a political forum, so I am restricted from going too far into detail, but I will say people toss the word "right" around almost as much as they do "good morning", which has caused it to lose its meaning and value.  Far too many people THINK they have the right to a lot of things, but that is not the case at all. 
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: