OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 12:11:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: jurisdiction transfer  (Read 1470 times) Average Rating: 0
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« on: May 19, 2009, 12:42:53 AM »

I have heard of priests being "canonically released" from one jurisdiction to serve as a priest in another jurisdiction here in the U.S.  Is there any such necessary procedure for laypersons?  If so, what is the procedure? Or are we just to go to Liturgy at an Orthodox Church near where we live regardless of whether we are actual members (christmated/baptized) of that particular jurisdiction?

I ask because I am moving (don't know where yet) but at the same time, I must admit that I am becoming more and more disillusioned with what is going on in the AOCA (and not just because of what is going on with the Bishops) and feel that I would be more comfortable in an old calendar jurisdiction, preferably one that still follows the Greek Typicon than the Slavic.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 12:47:14 AM »

I ask because I am moving (don't know where yet) but at the same time, I must admit that I am becoming more and more disillusioned with what is going on in the AOCA (and not just because of what is going on with the Bishops) and feel that I would be more comfortable in an old calendar jurisdiction, preferably one that still follows the Greek Typicon than the Slavic.

Check out the Greek Old Calendarists; true to the end!
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 06:23:10 AM »

Check out the Greek Old Calendarists; true to the end!

But most of them are not canonical. Not the best advice, Alveus, unless you were being ironic.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 06:23:48 AM by LBK » Logged
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 06:26:00 AM »

Not the best advice, Alveus, unless you were being ironic.

Bingo.  Well, sort of.  I actually have a lot of respect for what they represent.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 06:53:54 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 06:35:48 AM »

I have heard of priests being "canonically released" from one jurisdiction to serve as a priest in another jurisdiction here in the U.S.  Is there any such necessary procedure for laypersons?  If so, what is the procedure? Or are we just to go to Liturgy at an Orthodox Church near where we live regardless of whether we are actual members (christmated/baptized) of that particular jurisdiction?

You're not going to find a canonical old calendar church on the Greek Typikon in the U.S.A. as far as I know. All of the churches on the Greek Typikon are New Calendar, except for the Holy Land and Mount Athos.

But you do not need a canonical release to attend another Orthodox Church unless you are ordained to one of the orders of the clergy. You may attend liturgy in any of the 15 autocephalous Orthodox churches, although many parishes might ask you to provide a baptism certificate before they agree to commune you.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 07:22:51 AM »

Actually you are supposed to have a letter of introduction from your old priest to the new one, but it is rarely enforced.  The purpose is vouch for you that you are not switching for less than honorable reasons (my ex switched when our priest told her not to come back.  But in time it seems she showed her true colors again, and she was odious at the new parish as well, so skipping the letter didn't do her any good).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
monkvasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 08:56:07 AM »

You're not going to find a canonical old calendar church on the Greek Typikon in the U.S.A. as far as I know. All of the churches on the Greek Typikon are New Calendar, except for the Holy Land and Mount Athos.

But you do not need a canonical release to attend another Orthodox Church unless you are ordained to one of the orders of the clergy. You may attend liturgy in any of the 15 autocephalous Orthodox churches, although many parishes might ask you to provide a baptism certificate before they agree to commune you.

Isn't there a Greek Old Calendar group that is part of the Greek Archdiocese?

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 09:26:59 AM »

The safest thing to do is just have a letter from your current priest (with his contact information), stating that you're an Orthodox Christian, and have been the member of a parish.  This way, if the parish you go to is particularly guarded about who receives communion (a blessing!), then you'll have the necessary credentials to enter into their sacramental life.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 09:38:54 AM »

I have changed jurisdictions several times as I moved within the military to new posts and into retirement.  All that was really required was for me to get a letter from the priest of the parish I was leaving to verify that I was an Orthodox Christian.  I provided that to my gaining parish's priest and after a confession to that priest, I was able to commune and  become part of my new parish (and its jurisidction).  After I was tonsured as a sub-deacon, I had to notify my bishop where I was being transferred to and he would release me to the jursidiction I was entering.

If one sees him/herself as an American Orthodox Christian (Canadian, etc) the move from one jurisidction to another is relatively easy, what becomes more difficult, as some of my friends attested in the past, was when one sees oneself only as a "Greek" or "Russian" Orthodox etc and where one moves does not have a parish of that jurisdiction they may feel lost and unwelcomed in other jurisdictions.

Thomas
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 02:08:54 PM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 09:54:48 AM »

Do you mean Sacred Patriarchal and Stavropegial Monastery of Saint Irene Chrysovalantou and Dependencies?
http://www.stirene.org/
http://www.stirene.org/resources/admin_dependencies.html
http://www.goarch.org/archdiocese/otherpatriarchal/sta/index_html

Actually, they are a part of the Ecumenical Patriarchate, but not a part of GOA. I visited St. Irene Chrysovalantou Monastery twice. They have a myrrh extruding icon of their Patron Saint. Really nice experiences. Definitely enjoyable.

As a matter of fact, St. Irene Chrysovalantou Monastery itself uses New Calendar now. Not sure about all Dependencies. But for me, New Calendar is a plus.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 09:55:17 AM by Starlight » Logged
monkvasyl
High Elder

Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 11:26:53 AM »

Do you mean Sacred Patriarchal and Stavropegial Monastery of Saint Irene Chrysovalantou and Dependencies?
http://www.stirene.org/
http://www.stirene.org/resources/admin_dependencies.html
http://www.goarch.org/archdiocese/otherpatriarchal/sta/index_html

Actually, they are a part of the Ecumenical Patriarchate, but not a part of GOA. I visited St. Irene Chrysovalantou Monastery twice. They have a myrrh extruding icon of their Patron Saint. Really nice experiences. Definitely enjoyable.

As a matter of fact, St. Irene Chrysovalantou Monastery itself uses New Calendar now. Not sure about all Dependencies. But for me, New Calendar is a plus.

What?!  They changed from the Old to the New Calendar.  Pity.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 01:34:33 PM »

http://jerusalemusa.org/directory.htm

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 01:42:16 PM »

All the stavropegial monasteries of the EP outside Athos that I've encountered have been New Calendar. I assume this is true also of Fr. Ephraim's monasteries?

Thanks. I had forgotten about the presence of JP parishes in America. Am I right in thinking these are now under the jurisdiction of the EP?
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 02:17:10 PM »

All the stavropegial monasteries of the EP outside Athos that I've encountered have been New Calendar. I assume this is true also of Fr. Ephraim's monasteries?

Thanks. I had forgotten about the presence of JP parishes in America. Am I right in thinking these are now under the jurisdiction of the EP?
Depends on who you ask.  The EP says yes.  The phanariot JP says yes.  The parishes evidently say no, as has been posted on a number of threads.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 02:25:28 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 03:36:45 PM »

The phanariot JP says yes.

Can you link me to a thread that can fill me in on this?  Is the current bishop of Jerusalem a puppet for the EP?  Did a stronger man get ousted recently despite the will of the people?
kijabeboy03
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

"The glory of God is in man fully alive."

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2011, 05:17:43 PM »

A letter sounds like a good idea, but I've moved around quite a bit and never once been asked for one. That's held true when I have taken communion and with parishes from an assortment of Orthodox Churches and jurisdictions (Alexandrian, American, Antiochian, Greek, and Russian Orthodox so far).

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2011, 05:27:47 PM »

almasiiH qaam!
The phanariot JP says yes.

Can you link me to a thread that can fill me in on this?  Is the current bishop of Jerusalem a puppet for the EP?  Did a stronger man get ousted recently despite the will of the people?
The particulars were given at the time that the deal was struck in the official organ of the GOARCH.  It's not a recent problem, it has been brewing for centuries, particularly the last one.  If I get time later, I might link some threads, etc. on this.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 05:28:15 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: