OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 06:20:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: posting  (Read 1308 times) Average Rating: 0
irishorthodox

St. Padraig

« on: November 02, 2003, 11:20:39 PM »

I’m an old wanderer; I searched many places religiously until I settled on Orthodoxy.  Of all truths of Christianity and in particular, Orthodoxy there is the Great or First Commandment of which Our LORD said on which all of the Law was hung.  “While if we were to discuss many topics you would find me to be quite conservative, even reactionary by some peoples summation, I feel that above all else, above all other truths is what the Jews refer to as the Schema, “The first is, Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, The LORD is one; and you shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ The second is this, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.” (Mk 12:29-31)  St John tells us that these two are really one, in that they are mutually inclusive. If one is to hold to Holy Tradition, or the Deposit of Faith, love is a prerequisite.  For as Paul said to the Corinthians, “GǪ, but have not love, I am nothing.”  It was the early first century Church that was known by Its Love.  There can be no Apostolic, or True Church that has not love.  And there is no orthodox teaching that doesn’t teach love.

If one looses his Christian Charity in order to defend the Faith, he inherently speaks outside the influence of the Spirit, and instead through his own pride.  Are malice and avarice gifts of the Spirit?  

While holding true to what we were taught by the Apostles is imperative.  Love is the foundation upon which the Faith is established.

I say these things in the manner in which I do, not because I’m any kind of authority, but because it is the simpliest of teachings.  

We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.   Robert Wilensky
Know the difference between success and fame.
Justinianus
Elder

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2003, 10:23:59 PM »

Very good posting.  Love is the source.  God created the universe out of Love.  He created humaity out of love.  He selected Abraham out of love, he sent His Son to be our savior out of love.

All that we hold true in Orthodoxy has to be held in the context of God's love.

"If we truly think of Christ as our source of holiness, we shall refrain from anything wicked or impure in thought or act and thus show ourselves to be worthy bearers of his name.  For the quality of holiness is shown not by what we say but by what w
irishorthodox

St. Padraig

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2003, 02:12:31 AM »

I fear in making these posts that I sound Polly-Anna,’ but the truth is I’m struggling in my life right now.  In that being so, I find that like some legendary football coach might teach I feel I must draw closer to the basics.  It’s my simple idea that if we want the Church to prevail the trick is to dance with the one who brung ya.’  The Church doesn’t need new fangled concepts; instead we need to realize that it is the basic principles of Christianity that conquered the Roman Empire.  What I think we need to do is trust the Power of the basic principles of Christianity.  When managers of public lakes allow water to flow over a dam the fish flock to the foot of the dam for a fresh gill full of oxygen.  Likewise, when the Church manifests through Her actions the Deposit of Faith people flock to Her doors to get a fresh breath of Truth.  The Deposit of Faith, like in Christ’s parable of the stewards the land owner leaves money in their care, is not given to us to just protect and preserve as the servant whom hid his in a hole.  Instead, it is for each of us to invest and use.  If we truly believe this Christianity, than we should expect it to be more than a nominative idea, we should expect it to be more powerful than lawyers, guns and money, than the deference of Kings.  Life has shown me to be an absolute fool, but I cannot help but believe that living according to the precepts of Christ is the scariest and the most powerful thing we have.

We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.   Robert Wilensky
irishorthodox

St. Padraig

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2003, 02:33:53 AM »

Please excuse how the nature of this thread as changed. My original intent was to address how posts were worded on this forum

David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2003, 03:08:03 AM »

"It’s my simple idea that if we want the Church to prevail the trick is to dance with the one who brung ya.’"

Amen, amen.  At least for the first few years, how can one hope to grow in faith if they uproot themselves at the first sign of unhappiness.  

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Karamazov
Elder

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2003, 03:57:43 PM »

Well said, IrishOrthodox!  I wish I had the words to express your sentiments about Orthodoxy and love (though I had tried).  Your post is a must-read for all of us posters who (more often than not) feign piety and forget Charity.
Fotina02

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2003, 04:26:19 PM »

Amen, Amen, Amen

After my last disastrous attempt at posting I hesitate to participate but had to add my AMEN to this post on Love.

I too am struggling and came to realization that so many trials, temptations are a test of Love.

How can I forgive except by Love?

How can I persevere in difficult circumstances except by Love?

How can I be faithful except by Love?

Not the cheap imitation love of the world that so easily falls. Only that Love that came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief.

Thanks for the post. I am blessed.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: