OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 06:09:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Is country-western music evil?
Yes, it is all evil
No, it is not evil
Some of it is evil, some isn't
no opinion

Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is country-western music evil?  (Read 5630 times) Average Rating: 0
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« on: May 17, 2009, 06:50:33 PM »

Drunkness, audultery, violence, murder. Country-western music deals with some pretty dark subject matter. Yet it proportes to be a bastion of Christian & American values. What do you think?

Proverbs 22:7
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 06:58:49 PM »

I think it's perfectly fine.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 06:58:55 PM »

I don't like "new country."

And Johnny Cash's rendition of "Hurt" is the most moving and convicting piece of music I think I have heard in my life.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 06:59:33 PM »

I prefer Bluegrass.

Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 07:01:49 PM »

I admire Johnny Cash and I never even thought that he somehow "promotes" drunkenness or violence or murder. He sings what's on his mind, and that's the mind of a suffering person - what else is Christianity about?

Love never fails.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 07:10:10 PM »

I have a friend who often talks about this "Country and Western" Liturgy he's been working on writing, so the music can't be evil. laugh
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 07:24:16 PM »

It's not evil...it just sucks!

However, let me say that Hank Williams, Patsy Cline and Johnny CAsh are all fine in my book.  Anything after that, however, just is not worth listening to!

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 07:49:11 PM »

I heard a while back, that people that listen to too much country music ,especally the sad songs are prone to commit suicide.....How true it is i don't know...

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
LBK
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 07:51:10 PM »

I heard a while back, that people that listen to too much country music ,especally the sad songs are prone to commit suicide.....How true it is i don't know...

The same could be said for a whole lot of traditional Portuguese, Spanish and Greek folk music, for a start. Much of it is lyrically quite blue and depressing.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 08:13:49 PM »

The same could be said for a whole lot of traditional Portuguese, Spanish and Greek folk music, for a start. Much of it is lyrically quite blue and depressing.

I once commented at Holy Cross that a lot of Greek folk music sounds be similar to Country music...let's just say my observation was not appreciated one bit!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 08:41:59 PM »

I remember the study, but it didn't determine if the music contributed to some ppl's depression or if persons with an existing  tendency to depression gravitated to CW and it's many"I was drunk cuz you left me the day my mom got out of prison" genres.

stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 08:44:39 PM »

Isn't european music especially the folk music, the mother of American country folk music it had to come from somewhere...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 08:46:05 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 08:55:08 PM »

I remember the study, but it didn't determine if the music contributed to some ppl's depression or if persons with an existing  tendency to depression gravitated to CW and it's many"I was drunk cuz you left me the day my mom got out of prison" genres.

laugh

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 11:23:30 PM »

If it's old enough, it's usually good!
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 11:44:13 PM »

I recall long ago hearing a CW title that takes a humourous twist on this

"I've got tears in my ears (from lying on my back in my bed while I cry over you)"

Speaking as one who has sung folk music of the British Isles and the US the subjects of "Drunkness, audultery, violence, murder" are things that people made songs about and many of them were collected and preserved.  Here are a few

Adultery:  "Matty Groves" is one of the Great Old songs about that, along with "The House Carpenter/the Daemon Lover"
If we include betrayed love and false love and young men/women having their way then leaving there are such songs as  "Blow the Candles Out", "Cold Haily Windy Night", "The Blacksmith" "The Trooper and the Maid" and "

Murder- (does that count killings in battle as well as love triangles, highwaymen and assorted other causes?)  "Lily of the West" has a false woman and murder and a trial, "False Lamkin" is rather gruesome, "Bonnie George Campbell" and "The Bonnie Earl of Morey" don't come home from battle  "Jesse James" gets shot in the back by the "dirty little coward/ that shot Mr. Howard/ and laid poor Jesse in his grave" while "The Streets of Laredo" had a young cowpoke gunned down in a duel; "Captain Kidd" (hanged for piracy) and I mustn't forget "Lord Randall" where he is poisoned by his sweetheart with "Eels boiled in brew"

There's plenty of accidental death by train wrecks "Casey Jones" and "The Wreck of the Old 97"; overwork "John Henry"; accidents with a horse "Blood on the Saddle", drowning at sea "The Golden Vanity", "Henry Martin","Sir Patrick Spence"; being shot by accident "The Great Silkie" (which also has unmarried procreation between the Selkie and the human woman)

Then there's drink and its effects of which is a very popular topic for songs, starting with "John Barleycorn" which compares harvesting grain and brewing ale to murder, "What Do You Do With a Drunken Sailor?"  "Blow the Man Down"  "The Jug of Punch" "The Old Dun Cow" "Nancy Whiskey"

Just running over a few others that I know of, there's the great Russian folksong "Stenka Razin" in which the leader of the bandits dallies with a Persian princess until his men object because they're not raiding any more.  So he throws her into "Mother Volga" as an offering. "Na!"  (I'm told it doesn't really mean *splash*, but it could  Wink )

These are some of the subjects that people like to make songs or stories about, and that's the way it is.   Smiley

Here is one site for some of the songs I mentioned plus many more (it's a terrific site) http://www.contemplator.com/folk.html  
Here's a version of "Stenka Razin"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLd9vy3iCZs

If wanted I can provide more songs/lyrics/melodies  Wink

Ebor

« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 11:45:50 PM by Ebor » Logged

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2009, 11:55:53 PM »

Only thing out there nowadays is George Strait...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 12:34:31 AM »

Perhaps it would not be evil if it was country-Eastern?  Eh?   Wink
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2009, 05:17:45 AM »

There's plenty of accidental death by train wrecks "Casey Jones" and "The Wreck of the Old 97"; overwork "John Henry"; accidents with a horse "Blood on the Saddle", drowning at sea "The Golden Vanity", "Henry Martin","Sir Patrick Spence"; being shot by accident "The Great Silkie" (which also has unmarried procreation between the Selkie and the human woman)

Hey Ebor, don't forget "Big John" (big bad John ...)!
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2009, 08:01:28 AM »

I once commented at Holy Cross that a lot of Greek folk music sounds be similar to Country music...let's just say my observation was not appreciated one bit!

Now that is funny. Many years ago I was invited by a group of Greek chefs (just off the boat, real Greeks) to join them for their once a week after hours get-together. I was rather hesitant as I wondered what exactly I might have in common with them (nice guys all). Restaurants closed, we met up at one of them and then they drove me to their usual haunt...a country and western tavern with live music. Needless to say I was incredulous because they went to great lengths to entice me in joining them with promises a "wonderful entertainment, good music". Go figure. Been a C&W fan ever since.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
monkvasyl
High Elder

Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 09:17:45 AM »

I like country music...grew up with it from my parents in PA, except it was more hillbilly music and nothing like what is played today.  At work I either listen to country on the radio or the oldies station...this new stuff turns my stomach.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2009, 10:49:41 AM »

On the contrary, what's interesting about country music is that you're far more likely to hear about the consequences of all these sins - from the point of view of the wronged wife or husband, or kids - than you would in music like rap or rock, which tends to glorify them.

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2009, 11:00:02 AM »

Now that is funny. Many years ago I was invited by a group of Greek chefs (just off the boat, real Greeks) to join them for their once a week after hours get-together. I was rather hesitant as I wondered what exactly I might have in common with them (nice guys all). Restaurants closed, we met up at one of them and then they drove me to their usual haunt...a country and western tavern with live music. Needless to say I was incredulous because they went to great lengths to entice me in joining them with promises a "wonderful entertainment, good music". Go figure. Been a C&W fan ever since.

This is nothing new. A beloved Greek gent of blessed memory I knew very well once told me that he had friends from his National Service days (1953-55) who hailed from northern Greece (at that time VERY isolated) who were jazz buffs, through their following of American and British (especially British) shortwave radio programs. They would use military radios in the evenings before "lights out" (and sometimes after!) to tune in to get their fix of jazz.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2009, 01:28:35 PM »

Hey Ebor, don't forget "Big John" (big bad John ...)!

Ah yes, thanks for mentioning that one.   Smiley

There are lots and lots of songs about matters of a more then innocent nature, aren't there. 
 Wink

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

rwprof
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA now, Antiochian originally

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2009, 01:40:39 PM »

Played backwards, it is definitely evil.

Mark (rwprof) passed into eternal life on Jan 7, 2010.  May his memory be eternal!
monkvasyl
High Elder

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2009, 02:00:35 PM »

That was the same with the Beatles' music...lol

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2009, 02:01:53 PM »

That was the same with the Beatles' music...lol
Any music that, when played backwards, doesn't sound like cats knocking over a garbage can is impressive to me.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2009, 02:31:08 PM »

The only proper answer to the question is "yes, always."

Now bluegrass, on the other hand... magnificent.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2009, 04:21:00 PM »

The only proper answer to the question is "yes, always."

Now bluegrass, on the other hand... magnificent.

I most heartedly concur.  Bluegrass, when performed by actual bluegrass musicians and not a bunch of country wannabes, is truly a great musical experience.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2009, 04:27:33 PM »

I've been trying to tell people country music was satanic for years   Cheesy Wink

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
monkvasyl
High Elder

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2009, 05:01:57 PM »

I've been trying to tell people country music was satanic for years   Cheesy Wink

Then I guess we need some Orthodox rappers.   Shocked

monkvasyl
High Elder

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2009, 05:12:15 PM »

One of my favorites is by Keith Urban:  "God's Been Good To Me"

Well I can't believe I'm sittin' here today
Picking on my banjo with a big smile on my face
Writin' new words to an old school melody
Hey there ain't no doubt that God's been good to me

Oh the sun is shinin' on down in Tennessee
And right now where I'm right where I wanna be
I've never felt so loved, so peaceful and so free
Hey there ain't no doubt that God's been good to me

(Chorus:)
'Cause he put me smack dab in the middle of Paradise
In the heart of the city where my dreams have come alive
And everything I have, and everything I see
Is just another reminder that God's been good to me

This golden road's been long
And sometimes I've lost my way
I've been down some darkened detours
Leanin' heavy on my faith
But where the devil had me chained
Lord your love done set me free
Hallelujah! God's been good to me

(Chorus 2x)

Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2009, 08:48:10 PM »

As for me, I turned into a fan of country music right after immigration to USA. And my love to the country music only strengthened with time.
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2009, 11:20:57 PM »

!kcolC eht dnuorA ckoR

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2009, 12:40:33 AM »

As for me, I turned into a fan of country music right after immigration to USA. And my love to the country music only strengthened with time.

I need to get into it more.  Can anyone suggest particular albums that they consider to be outstanding; the must-own classics?
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2009, 04:10:17 AM »

I need to get into it more.  Can anyone suggest particular albums that they consider to be outstanding; the must-own classics?
If you like/don't mind something not so classic and with a bit of a crossover pop/rock edge, Garth Brooks has put out a lot of good stuff.  For a more classic country sound, Hank Williams, Sr. is a good place to start.
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2009, 04:18:20 AM »

Johnny Cash is the Man! Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 04:18:48 AM by ChristusDominus » Logged

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2009, 04:37:47 AM »

Johnny Cash is the Man! Roll Eyes

Yup. Can't go wrong with The Man In Black.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2009, 05:51:22 AM »

Yeah, I already own some of Cash's material , in fact his is the only country music that I own at this point.  Is there a particular Hank Williams, Sr. album that any of you would recommend as being particularly noteworthy?
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2009, 09:43:39 AM »

Yeah, I already own some of Cash's material , in fact his is the only country music that I own at this point.  Is there a particular Hank Williams, Sr. album that any of you would recommend as being particularly noteworthy?

Probably this complation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40_Greatest_Hits_(Hank_Williams_Sr._album)

As for suggestions above, I second them.
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2009, 09:49:40 AM »

Drunkness, audultery, violence, murder. Country-western music deals with some pretty dark subject matter.

I think it deals with life.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2009, 10:13:37 AM »

I highly recommend Chet Atkins' Stay Tuned. He is one of the best guitarists I have ever heard. I was fortunate enough to attend a concert the summer before he died. Amazing musician.

http://www.amazon.com/Stay-Tuned-Chet-Atkins/dp/B000OY1OG6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1242742374&sr=8-6

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2009, 11:59:26 AM »

Mandy Barnett (1990s- present, need to google search, not on any major label, also on youtube), Blue sky boys (1930s-50s),soundtrack to the movie: The Last Picture Show, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Alabama, Sweetheart of the Rodeo album by the Byrds, George Jones, Dwight Yokum, Skeeter Davis etc.

Antiochian OC N.A.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2009, 12:28:40 PM »

Some people have a real problem with Eastern Rite Country music. They think that its not truely an organic development within the Country music community. As we all know, Eastern Rite Country music has only developed in a few jurisdictions.  Grin
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 12:29:45 PM by Papist » Logged

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2009, 03:14:36 PM »

Some people have a real problem with Eastern Rite Country music. They think that its not truely an organic development within the Country music community. As we all know, Eastern Rite Country music has only developed in a few jurisdictions.  Grin
This one went way over my head Huh

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2009, 03:20:46 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Another Good-thing-I-wasn't-drinking-coffee-when-I-read-this moment.

Tags: music country & western music 
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: