OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 03:25:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Penguin unveils secret book on Turin Shroud  (Read 304 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: March 27, 2012, 05:17:56 PM »

New book coming out -- just in time for Easter. What a coincidence. Roll Eyes

Penguin has been employing "Harry Potter-style security measures" for a book it releases today [26th March], billing the secret non-fiction title as containing an "astonishing breakthrough" which explains the birth of Christianity for the first time.

The Sign: The Shroud of Turin and the Secret of the Resurrection by Cambridge art historian Thomas de Wesselow has been kept a closely guarded secret by Penguin, with only three staff at Penguin in the know about it until this year. C.E.O. Tom Weldon and Viking editorial director Joel Rickett acquired world rights through Philippa Harrison at Ed Victor.

The book tackles the question of how Christianity was born. The religion began when, after Jesus' crucifixion, Jesus' followers claimed to have seen him alive again. In The Sign, de Wesselow argues that it was the Turin Shroud, the cloths Jesus was wrapped in after his reurrection, which his followers saw, seeing the imprint of Jesus in the cloth and taking it as a sign of resurrection. Though the shroud has been assumed to be a fake created in medieval times, de Wesselow provides what the publisher describes as "conclusive evidence" that the shroud is authentic, based on the fact that the imprint of Jesus' body is a negative image.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 05:18:40 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 05:39:51 PM »

Penguin has been employing "Harry Potter-style security measures" for a book it releases today [26th March], billing the secret non-fiction title as containing an "astonishing breakthrough" which explains the birth of Christianity for the first time.

The Sign: The Shroud of Turin and the Secret of the Resurrection by Cambridge art historian Thomas de Wesselow has been kept a closely guarded secret by Penguin, with only three staff at Penguin in the know about it until this year. C.E.O. Tom Weldon and Viking editorial director Joel Rickett acquired world rights through Philippa Harrison at Ed Victor.

The book tackles the question of how Christianity was born. The religion began when, after Jesus' crucifixion, Jesus' followers claimed to have seen him alive again. In The Sign, de Wesselow argues that it was the Turin Shroud, the cloths Jesus was wrapped in after his reurrection, which his followers saw, seeing the imprint of Jesus in the cloth and taking it as a sign of resurrection. Though the shroud has been assumed to be a fake created in medieval times, de Wesselow provides what the publisher describes as "conclusive evidence" that the shroud is authentic, based on the fact that the imprint of Jesus' body is a negative image.

For crying out loud. Let's just ignore the fact that the Risen Lord was seen in the flesh and insinuate that He disappeared and the Apostles used deductive reasoning. Rather audacious to call it non-fiction.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Pray for me, Sts. Mina & Kyrillos VI for my exams

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 05:49:27 PM »

It is a good question to ask though, that is it possible to create a "negative image" in the 13th Century?  Wink

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 06:59:09 PM »

Wow.  So the Apostles saw an image on a shroud, assumed Christ rose from the dead, and then went and got themselves killed because of a piece of fabric?

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 08:21:09 PM »

I find the idea of time-travelling cloth harder to swallow than traditional accounts of the Resurrection.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Fear the Tooth

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 08:59:04 PM »

To be fair, we do need something to read during the commercial breaks of the History Channel shows telling us about the heretofore unknown historical Jesus.
Zenovia
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 10:12:17 PM »

I find the idea of time-travelling cloth harder to swallow than traditional accounts of the Resurrection.

The Shroud appeared right after the sack of Constantinople.  No doubt it was one of the relics stolen by the Crusaders during the Fourth Crusade.  Greece at the time was a Crusader state, and the Shroud I believe was owned by a French noble family that lived in Athens.  Eventually it was brought  back to France.   Now I'm not too sure about all of this,  so don't take my word for it.

I read a few years ago that the original 'mandilla' (Veronica/handkerchief) which has the face of Jesus was found in a little church in Italy.  The one in the Vatican was merely a copy.   No doubt it too was stolen by the Crusaders.  When the face of Christ on the Mandilla was superimposed on the face of Christ on the Shroud, it was a perfect match.  Since then I haven't read anything about it, so again I might be mistaken.  
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 10:13:41 PM by Zenovia » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: