OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 07:33:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do Christians have a future?  (Read 3438 times) Average Rating: 0
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« on: May 15, 2009, 05:31:23 PM »

Is our global chrisitan community in decline? this video seems to suggest just that. Please watch. Thank You
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-3X5hIFXYU

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 06:08:45 PM »

It's probably true.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 06:27:25 PM »

What's up with all of the scare-tactic videos?
c.steward

Faith: Inquirer

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 06:30:23 PM »

Someone is binging on propaganda.

Don't forget to purge!
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 06:39:50 PM »

What's up with all of the scare-tactic videos?

It's a lead-up to a prophesy about the Second Coming....

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 06:45:35 PM »

Well, the population decline in Europe (especially Spain, German and the UK) is significant and worth mentioning.  But to assume that all Muslim immigrants are breeding like cockroaches is just stupid.  The costs for childcare that have driven down birthrates apply to Muslims just as much as they do to Christians.
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 09:22:37 PM »

Well, the population decline in Europe (especially Spain, German and the UK) is significant and worth mentioning.  But to assume that all Muslim immigrants are breeding like cockroaches is just stupid.  The costs for childcare that have driven down birthrates apply to Muslims just as much as they do to Christians.
Latin Americans living in the USA seem to have more babies than Anglo Americans, and they tend to come be in the lower income bracket so obviously the childcare thing isn't discouraging them. Another observation I have made is that some Western European government's provide free childcare. They obviously want you to procreate! The point I'm trying to make is; if poor immigrants can come here(USA) and procreate abundantly, then I am sure that those that immigrate to Western Europe from poor muslim countries can do so as well (abundantly).
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 09:23:24 PM by ChristusDominus » Logged

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 10:06:27 PM »

I think we are not to care much about what will happen in this world or "age" ("eonos"). Even if we are - or what we think and hope and pray we are - some 0.0000001% of those who will stand in front of the judgment seat of Christ on the last day - what does it matter?

I worry a lot more about where I will be - on His right hand, or on His left, - than on how many Muslims or Atheists or Republicans or Pro-Choicers or Pro-Lifers or Therewada Buddhists or whatever will there be overall on that day...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 10:07:12 PM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 05:31:57 PM »

Here's something scientific on the topic:
http://www.sneps.net/research-interests/religious-demography
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 05:39:34 PM »

Christians have a future regardless of whether the figure of our international numbers increases, maintains, or declines.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Alive
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 07:27:47 AM »

Is our global chrisitan community in decline? this video seems to suggest just that. Please watch. Thank You

One more nazi video.

1.   West Europe has no Christianity for 1000 years all ready, so do not need to be worry about.
2.   Jesus have no kids as well as most apostles ..... so what?.

“Do not be afraid, little flock” !!!! (Luke 12:32)

Christianity never was about numbers or demographics.
Techno politics and business ruled by numbers , not orthodoxy.

Christianity is not about of building paradise on earth….

Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.(Revelation 22:20)
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 08:47:50 AM »

One more nazi video.

1.   West Europe has no Christianity for 1000 years all ready, so do not need to be worry about.

"Be fruitful and multiply..."  Gen 1:28.  Technically this is God's first commandment to us, chronologically. 
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 09:34:43 AM »

"When the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?"

We must continue to evangelize where we can but as "the hearts of men grow cold", I do believe the Church will shrink. I have often thought it may shrink so much that Christ's second coming may occur only just in time to stop her from being wiped out entirely. (Unfortunate comparison to the Restaurant at the End of the Universe aside.)

But for now there are reasons to be optimistic. While there are problems in Russia, the Church there is slowly coming back, and some of the Russian saints prophecied it would happen (I believe St Seraphim among them).

So all is not lost just yet. Someday it will be, but the fields are still white with harvest, I believe.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 09:38:11 AM by bogdan » Logged
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 12:21:09 PM »

Edit: Actually, I don't even want to post this uncontroversial comment since I'm sure someone will argue up a ridiculous storm about it.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 12:27:28 PM by Jason.Wike » Logged
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 04:11:11 PM »

Really now?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 07:25:40 PM »

Really now?
Really.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 07:50:27 PM »

Really now?
Really.

How about restoring paradise on earth?
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 07:57:08 PM »

Not disagreeing with your point, but your language, unless you are mocking prior uses of such language:

„Wo Ratten auch auftauchen, tragen sie Vernichtung ins Land, zerstören sie menschliche Güter und Nahrungsmittel. [...] Sie sind hinterlistig, feige und grausam und treten meist in großen Scharen auf. Sie stellen unter den Tieren das Element der heimtückischen, unterirdischen Zerstörung dar – nicht anders als die Juden unter den Menschen.“

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Der_ewige_Jude

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Alive
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 11:09:38 PM »

One more nazi video.

"Be fruitful and multiply..."  Gen 1:28.  Technically this is God's first commandment to us, chronologically. 

Read more holy fathers to know what is mean.

You would be surpliced lot of them say that this was not sexual reproduction matter but multiply in Grace and virtue.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 04:29:41 PM »

"Nihilism has failed as long as true Christian faith remains in a single person; for that person will be a living example of Truth that will prove vain all the impressive worldly accomplishments of which Nihilism is capable and will refute in his person all the arguments against God and the Kingdom of Heaven." -Fr. Seraphim Rose

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Alive
High Elder

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2011, 08:24:22 PM »

"Nihilism has failed as long as true Christian faith remains in a single person; for that person will be a living example of Truth that will prove vain all the impressive worldly accomplishments of which Nihilism is capable and will refute in his person all the arguments against God and the Kingdom of Heaven." -Fr. Seraphim Rose

1.   “God He is not the God of the dead, but of the living, for to Him all men are alive”

2.    “tell you that if these keep silent, the very stones will cry out.”

And following this idea - Christianity never ends, for new born child are hardly corrupt and can be  “living example of Truth” .
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 08:35:26 PM by Alive » Logged
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2011, 05:31:32 PM »

If I get a chance, I'll dig up and post some old propaganda about how Catholics would take over England. The parallels between that scare and this one are pretty amusing.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2011, 09:10:16 AM »

Great quote!
theo philosopher
Elder

Jurisdiction: Self-Ruled Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2011, 01:26:04 PM »

This is one of the best quotes I've seen in a very long time.

“Wherefore, then, death approaches, gulps down the bait of the body, and is pierced by the hook of the divinity. Then, having tasted of the sinless and life-giving body, it is destroyed and gives up all those whom it had swallowed down of old." - St. John of Damascus
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2011, 03:02:49 PM »

With all due respect, Fr. Seraphim of Platina wasn't entirely clear on what nihilism classically means. He should have read more Nietzsche and Kierkegaard.

NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2011, 05:56:00 PM »

With all due respect, Fr. Seraphim of Platina wasn't entirely clear on what nihilism classically means. He should have read more Nietzsche and Kierkegaard.
True. But, he used the term to refer to a specific manifestation of what I would safely call Nihilism; his goal was to expose what he saw as a threat to humanity, not to go into detail about what Nihilists believe nihilism is.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 05:57:23 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2011, 06:10:39 PM »

Make more babies....no abortion and no birth control. And educate them in conservative christian schools. All the liberals, secularists, and atheists will die out eventually. In one hundred years their population will be only a fraction of what it is now. And with real capital being in Asia and not in the western World........then they won't have the funds to keep religious conservatives suppressed. Just like how they fear the muslim brotherhood coming into power now in Egypt.......they will soon fear us when our system breaks down. We will automatically out number them and so our influence will be dominate ......more so than it is now.

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2011, 06:26:21 PM »

Make more babies....no abortion and no birth control. And educate them in conservative christian schools. All the liberals, secularists, and atheists will die out eventually. In one hundred years their population will be only a fraction of what it is now. And with real capital being in Asia and not in the western World........then they won't have the funds to keep religious conservatives suppressed. Just like how they fear the muslim brotherhood coming into power now in Egypt.......they will soon fear us when our system breaks down. We will automatically out number them and so our influence will be dominate ......more so than it is now.

I'd prefer to win the war on intellectual grounds, through discussion and the eventual triumph of truth...

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2011, 07:48:50 PM »

What's that saying? One drop of truth outweighs the whole world.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2011, 02:32:24 AM »

I'd prefer to win the war on intellectual grounds, through discussion and the eventual triumph of truth...

We gotta do both! The war is on all fronts! Therefor any advantage is a plus.......including having Orthodox monasteries in space.....through some type of Orthodox Christian space program!

Countries come and go, and philosophical influences tied to such governments will also come and go, but those who convert the barbarians will be the ones who will dominate the next government. Orthodoxy needs to convert biker gangs, inner city gangs, the secular middle class business men in business suits, as well as the etiquette school teachers, college professors, marriage counselors, and blue collar workers.. ......for they are all the modern Barbarians. The Barbarians still walk among us! We live side by side with eachother.....and have for many centuries! Both America and Europe were never really fully Christianized. It was a simultaneous mixed society of Christians and Barbarians from the very start, and it will probably continue to be that way for some time now.

Which is why we must make more babies, and educate them in conservative schools.......as well as do what you said. We need both!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 02:42:58 AM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2011, 03:06:16 AM »

True. But, he used the term to refer to a specific manifestation of what I would safely call Nihilism; his goal was to expose what he saw as a threat to humanity, not to go into detail about what Nihilists believe nihilism is.

Neither Nietzsche or Kierkegaard were nihilists. In fact, if you had to suggest one project both railed the most against, it was nihilism.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2011, 03:15:27 AM »

To be clear about Fr. Seraphim of Platina's ideas on Nihilism(sic):

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/augustine/arch/nihilism.html

I've never understood his popular reception.

Hard to get past the shrill voice, to even notice the academic abuses he engages in.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2011, 03:30:16 AM »

That's great and all, Jnorm888... but I'm a liberal. And after two kids I don't plan on having any more. Where does that leave me? I guess my only option is to show my fellow liberals that they're wrong on some things...  Cheesy Cool

« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 03:30:46 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2011, 03:38:20 AM »

Neither Nietzsche or Kierkegaard were nihilists. In fact, if you had to suggest one project both railed the most against, it was nihilism.

I made no claim about Nietzsche or Kierkegaard.

Hard to get past the shrill voice, to even notice the academic abuses he engages in.
I read the essay; that's where I got the original quote that sparked this whole thing.

Academic abuses? You mean the Greek-influenced rhetorical style?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 03:42:00 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2011, 03:53:22 AM »

I made no claim about Nietzsche or Kierkegaard.

I read the essay; that's where I got the original quote that sparked this whole thing.

Academic abuses? You mean the Greek-influenced rhetorical style?

Where to begin?

Not to hijack this thread (we can start another), but really if you want an example of how not to write coherently, this work of Fr. Seraphim of Platina would be a good start. It is more similar to that of a broadsheet or manifesto of some of the various "movements" he criticizes in one fell hubristic swoop, than anything to be taken seriously, I hope.

I don't know the biographical background, nor do I usually care to when reading something, I just hope he was very young and very tormented at the time and didn't expect this to see the light of day.

Then again, I've yet to read anything by him or his most ardent students that is very compelling.

NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2011, 03:57:57 AM »

It is more similar to that of a broadsheet or manifesto of some of the various "movements" he criticizes
Ah, but that's one of the best things about it.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2011, 04:18:22 AM »

I don't know the biographical background, nor do I usually care to when reading something, I just hope he was very young and very tormented at the time and didn't expect this to see the light of day.

The Hieromonk Damascene biography of Fr. Seraphim seems to imply that he completed the work at some point in his early 30's (Father Seraphim Rose: His Life and Works, p. 149). It was published posthumously in 1994. You'll be delighted to know that, according to a footnote on p. 137, the book has been translated and published in Russian, Serbian, Romanian, Bulgarian, Latvian, Italian, and German. police
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 04:19:15 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

theo philosopher
Elder

Jurisdiction: Self-Ruled Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2011, 01:19:55 PM »

This view really puts you in the minority. In fact, I can't think of a single philosopher who thinks Nietzsche wasn't a Nihilist (I know they exist, I've just never seen one). Kierkegaard wasn't a nihilist by any stretch, but Nietzsche most certainly was...

“Wherefore, then, death approaches, gulps down the bait of the body, and is pierced by the hook of the divinity. Then, having tasted of the sinless and life-giving body, it is destroyed and gives up all those whom it had swallowed down of old." - St. John of Damascus
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2011, 02:22:14 PM »

This view really puts you in the minority. In fact, I can't think of a single philosopher who thinks Nietzsche wasn't a Nihilist (I know they exist, I've just never seen one). Kierkegaard wasn't a nihilist by any stretch, but Nietzsche most certainly was...

I know. Because almost no one reads him even those who write books on him. Good grief man and you put the word philosopher in your board name. Have you read at least 90% of his writing, not just the stuff that gets glossed into English. But even then, one would have a hard time to make the case that Nietzsche is a nihilist. Again and again this is what he rails against.

I can think of a dozen thinkers off the top of my head who would disagree with the fact he is in fact a nihilist at least in the manner that most would understand the idea.

Again this would get too technical, although even in Kaufmann's silly reader there are enough polemics of Nietzsche again nihilism that even your run of the mill angry teen should know differently.

But to go further you would need to pay me, so I leave you instead with a silly joke:

Nietzsche contra Hitler:

Hitler going beyond Good and Evil stopped half way.

theo philosopher
Elder

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2011, 05:20:42 PM »

I know. Because almost no one reads him even those who write books on him. Good grief man and you put the word philosopher in your board name. Have you read at least 90% of his writing, not just the stuff that gets glossed into English. But even then, one would have a hard time to make the case that Nietzsche is a nihilist. Again and again this is what he rails against.

I can think of a dozen thinkers off the top of my head who would disagree with the fact he is in fact a nihilist at least in the manner that most would understand the idea.

Again this would get too technical, although even in Kaufmann's silly reader there are enough polemics of Nietzsche again nihilism that even your run of the mill angry teen should know differently.

But to go further you would need to pay me, so I leave you instead with a silly joke:

Nietzsche contra Hitler:

Hitler going beyond Good and Evil stopped half way.

I have read all of Nietzsche's major works, albeit in English, so therein lies the problem (I suspect). I formed my own opinions of Nietzsche before coming to any interpretations of him.

Since you're probably familiar with them, my interpretation of Nietzsche is similar to John Caputo's and Gianni Vattimo's interpretation and subsequent (and unfortunate) application.

Then again, with it being Nietzsche, we could both be right. I think of something Peter Kreeft said to me on why he would never write about Nietzsche, "He's too [darn] contradictory!"

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2011, 05:56:27 PM »

I've read your mention of Caputo and Vattimo. They belong in the cylindrical bookshelf.

Nearly every version of Nietzsche's work into English translation is good. Even Kaufmann. As he lamented, he lacked for readers. He still does.

If you are reading his Will to Power, then I can't take you too seriously. It is this text the Fr. Seraphim of Platina quotes most often in his tirade or what you would call that misagos of his.

The state of English translation of Neech's Nachlass I have no idea about.

If you want to broaden your horizon and maybe find some grist for calling him a nihilist, then I suggest tackling Heidegger's profound lectures on his work. To the degree that Heidegger understands nihilism or better yet "philosophy", then I would agree Nietzsche was a nihilist and thus a philosopher and arguably the last.

Caputo and the rest are just footnotes to their beloved Derrida who is nothing but an added tittle to Heidegger's work.

Even the sillypedia has a surprisingly nice reference to the old Kraut:

Some interpreters also upheld a biological interpretation of the Wille zur Macht, making it equivalent with some kind of social Darwinism. For example the concept was appropriated by some Nazis such as Alfred Bäumler, who may have drawn influence from it or used it to justify their expansive quest for power and world domination.

This reading was criticized by Martin Heidegger in his 1930s courses on Nietzsche—suggesting that raw physical or political power was not what Nietzsche had in mind. This is reflected in the following passage from Nietzsche's notebooks:

I have found strength where one does not look for it: in simple, mild, and pleasant people, without the least desire to rule—and, conversely, the desire to rule has often appeared to me a sign of inward weakness: they fear their own slave soul and shroud it in a royal cloak (in the end, they still become the slaves of their followers, their fame, etc.) The powerful natures dominate, it is a necessity, they need not lift one finger. Even if, during their lifetime, they bury themselves in a garden house![25]

Opposed to a biological and voluntary conception of the Wille zur Macht, Heidegger also argued that the will to power must be considered in relation to the Übermensch and the thought of eternal recurrence—although this reading itself has been criticized by Mazzino Montinari as a "macroscopic Nietzsche".[26] Gilles Deleuze also emphasized the connection between the will to power and eternal return.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_to_power

Also noteworthy is the work of Deleuze is who probably the only post-Heideggerian thinker to read Nietzsche with relatively new eyes.

The bolded quote of Neech's I have there is just beautiful.

Heidegger was the one of the first to criticize fervently against the The Will to Power "work" of Nietzsche and return strictly to his notebooks not mangled by his nutty anti-Semitic sister and her husband.

It is also in Heidegger where you find the first reader to take Neech at his word, to take seriously his "Eternal Recurrence of the Same" as radically important to his own work and left unthought.

Again without all this, just get an electronic copy of Nietzsche's stuff and search "nihilism" and see what context surrounds each time.

If you really believe Caputo to be a worthy read, I cannot stress to you the superficial read he offers lifted from Derrida (whose most interesting work on Neech is the role of the feminine, but still not earth-shattering stuff) who reads over Heidegger's shoulder.

FWIW.

If you are interested in what I constantly read: Heidegger (thus most of the Western Canon and Eastern), Deleuze (who for me takes forever to get my head around, my French sucks), and over the last half decade I've been reading into Niklas Luhmann's System Theory (very difficult, but incredibly fascinating and perhaps some of the most innovative Continental thinking, my bet he will make more of an impact in the States within the next 10 years.)

Just finished reading some texts on current ideas around Patristic hermeneutics. And everything led back to folks making livings filling out paragraphs that Heidegger wrote.

I also noted that you seemed to have some background in Thomist thought. This was Heidegger's first interest as a boy and his early work and throughout is marked by it, to a lesser and lesser degree.

That is it, I promise.

Basta!

NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2011, 06:31:23 PM »

I know. Because almost no one reads him even those who write books on him.

That's precisely why what Nietzsche actually believed is irrelevant to Fr. Seraphim's essay on Nihilism; just as Nestorius's beliefs are irrelevant to discussions about the Nestorian heretics.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2011, 06:33:32 PM »

I know. Because almost no one reads him even those who write books on him.

That's precisely why what Nietzsche actually believed is irrelevant to Fr. Seraphim's essay on Nihilism; just as Nestorius's beliefs are irrelevant to discussions about the Nestorian heretics.

Not talking belief. I have no idea about another's belief. I only know what I read. And to call Fr. Seraphim of Platina's writing an "essay" is pushing the limits of the genre.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2011, 06:35:29 PM »

Really now?
Really.

So we are to frequently pray to the Father that His Will be done on Earth, yet we shouldn't bother attempting to ourselves work for that reality?  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 06:35:38 PM by deusveritasest » Logged

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2011, 08:20:35 PM »

Really now?
Really.

So we are to frequently pray to the Father that His Will be done on Earth, yet we shouldn't bother attempting to ourselves work for that reality?  Roll Eyes
We should continually work to improve the world around us, but realize that our human efforts will not bring about some kind of Utopia. Until the return of Christ, there will always be sin in the world. Paradise doesn't come until Christ returns.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: