OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 06:22:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Theotokos and the Uncreated Energies of God  (Read 791 times) Average Rating: 0
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« on: May 13, 2009, 09:29:30 AM »

I was reading in Christ the Eternal Tao that the Uncreated Energies of God are "handed"(if that is even the correct terminology, and I am sure it is not) to the Theotokos, who then distributes them to the highest among the Seraphim, then to the highest among the Cherubim, etc. all the way down the line of the angelic hierarchies. Is this a common teaching within Orthodoxy? It seems very close to Platonic thought, and has some parallels within Gnosticism. Any thoughts on this subject?
Douglas
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 09:42:30 AM »

In my view: no. In addition, I would be somewhat guarded in what I read from monk Damascene and Lou Shibai.

Douglas no longer posts on the forum.
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 09:44:32 AM »

In my view: no. In addition, I would be somewhat guarded in what I read from monk Damascene and Lou Shibai.
Have you read Christ the Eternal Tao?
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 12:22:34 PM »

I'm curious to know what you have against Hieromonk Damascene, whom I understand was a spiritual son of Fr. Seraphim Rose.
Douglas
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 01:18:15 PM »

I've read a number of his works and I've read a number of Fr Seraphim Rose's publications and on several points, I take issue with them. Let's just say that I believe there are better writers/scholars to challenge and instruct us. But getting back to the original question (as opposed to challenging my right to have a personal view)... I do not believe this to be Orthodox teaching. I find it nowhere else in Orthodox writing.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 01:18:47 PM by Douglas » Logged

Douglas no longer posts on the forum.
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 03:25:45 PM »

I've read a number of his works and I've read a number of Fr Seraphim Rose's publications and on several points, I take issue with them. Let's just say that I believe there are better writers/scholars to challenge and instruct us. But getting back to the original question (as opposed to challenging my right to have a personal view)... I do not believe this to be Orthodox teaching. I find it nowhere else in Orthodox writing.
Is this true? Does anyone else know anything about this idea?
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 03:49:02 PM »

It sounds like a nice illustration of the way that God's energies could be 'distributed', but ultimately it just sounds made up.  There's no way to verify if God's energies are 'handed down' to anyone, so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.  If anything, you could email St. Herman of Alaska Press and ask them to forward your request for sources on the matter to Hieromonk Damascene.  I'm sure if he's not just pulling it out of his rear then he will provide you with some source material.

stherman@stherman.com
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 03:49:49 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Tags: Theotokos 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: