OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 08:21:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Bible is best (for me)?  (Read 1585 times) Average Rating: 0
cholmes

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: May 12, 2009, 11:57:10 PM »

I didn't want to derail any of the recent threads discussing specific translations of the Bible, so I'll just ask here - I'm looking to purchase another Bible and am totally confused as to which one to buy.  I own the first Orthodox Study Bible and generally like it, although the fact that it doesn't contain the OT is unfortunate.  I have the Septuagint (Brenton) but for me this isn't what I would read in bed.

So what I'm looking for is a Bible containing both the NT and OT, in the most accurate English translation possible.  I'd rather not scramble for a Koine reference every time I want backing for a particular word or passage.  It would be nice if it was "poetic" but that's not a big hangup for me.  I prize accuracy over flowery prose.

Help!   Huh
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 11:57:20 PM by cholmes » Logged

Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 12:33:45 AM »

Wait until 1 July, 2009 and then buy The Eastern / Greek Orthodox Bible Companion to the Orthodox Study Bible (http://www.orthodox-church.info/eob/news.asp). It will contain:
- The EOB Introduction to the Old Testament (200 pages),
- The Liturgical Psalter,
- Four Books of Maccabees,
- The EOB New Testament,
- The EOB Appendices to the New Testament (i.e. essays explaining controversial passages).

The rest of the EOB OT is still being prepared. And if you don't want to waint for it, you can purchase (some volumes of) The Holy Orthodox Bible (http://www.peterpapoutsis.com/).
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 12:50:13 AM by Michał » Logged
Orthodox Swamp Thing

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - San Francisco & The West

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 07:36:14 PM »

The Orthodox Study Bible with Presvytera and Dr. Jeannie Constantinou's podcast Search the Scriptures is fantastic.... For a first attempt at a Study bible I would have to say this one is really good  and have recommended it to several of my Protestant friends when they have questions regarding scripture.....
xuxana
babygirl

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

i♡ΙΧΘΥΣ!

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 03:43:16 PM »

i have the Orthodox Study Bible but i'm crazy about my Message Bible. i use that mainly for devotions and i bring it with me in bible study class (in addition to the orthodox study bible) for passages that i'm having difficulty understanding.

NLT is also a great easy to understand bible. it's close enough to KJV but it doesn't use shakespearean english.

Ephesians 6:10-18
Orthodox Swamp Thing

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 06:07:29 PM »

The only bad thing I don't like about the Orthodox Study bible is in the prayers morning and evening prayers Gillquist has chosen to leave out prayers to the Theotokos so this bible would get into the hands of prots.... It's a decision he regrets.... I hope they correct it in future editions.
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 08:34:09 PM »

The only bad thing I don't like about the Orthodox Study bible is in the prayers morning and evening prayers Gillquist has chosen to leave out prayers to the Theotokos so this bible would get into the hands of prots.... It's a decision he regrets.... I hope they correct it in future editions.
You are correct that there are no prayers to the Theotokos in the first NT/Psalms version. In the newer and full LXX OT version, the prayers are included.
Orthodox Swamp Thing

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 09:31:36 PM »

I have the Orthodox Study bible with the OT & NT and they don't have prayers to the Theotokos...... Mine is also a early edition though.
Orthodox Swamp Thing

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 09:39:57 PM »

I stand corrected......
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: