OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 06:39:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: a fond farewell  (Read 1843 times) Average Rating: 0
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

Pray for me an unworthy sinner

« on: November 01, 2003, 11:55:27 PM »

Several friends and my spiritual father have advised me to leave this forum completely.  As it appears to be lacking in intelectual and spiritual merit, I have decided to follow their advice.  

I shall only be posting at the Cafe and communicating via private conversation.  

A fond farewell to my friends who post here, oh wait. Never mind their aren't any.  Just kidding.

Good bye everyone.  Please do not attempt to contact me via private email, YIM, or AIM as the individual conversations/emails will simply be deleted.  

I shall pray for all of you.

In Christ,
the soon to be Nicholas

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2003, 11:57:43 PM »

Hope you find your path, and commit to it.

Pax Christi,

james

« Last Edit: November 02, 2003, 12:00:50 AM by Jakub » Logged

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2003, 12:40:50 AM »

Too bad you can't spell Intellectual.

The pride is astounding.

Bobby
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2003, 01:17:25 AM »

I believe this is at least the fourth time you have left this forum.   Huh
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2003, 01:23:22 AM »

Your "spiritual father"? But Joe, you're not Orthodox.
I'm going to take a wild stab in the darkness of the super-correct night and guess that you're allowed to post on the other forum because your "spiritual father"(?) might be posting there as well? And if you're "banned" from posting here why did you post telling us that you're banned? It fits in so perfectly... it's just simple misguided extremism. Everything is a production, everything is about the fireworks and the "show". Church life, your arrogant  "declaration" of departure, your switch from fanatical traditional Catholic to radical "Orthodox" then back to fanatic Catholic and to "true" Orthodoxy again.
There's no intelligent conversation here? Come on...
Maybe you should have tried actually engaging in a conversation before abondoning the board. Instead we got to see pre-programmed,  uninformed one liners. It's sad...very sad. This forum(or it seems to me) is comprised of people who are willing to really address questions of the Church and spiritual life. There are a multitude of opinions here- sometimes these opinions clash, and sometimes there is agreement. Either way, it's a dialogue- not just a one sided security blanket of a forum that reinforces how "right" we are. Of course, fellowship of like minded Orthodox Christians is an amazing thing, but personally, I'm sometimes thankful when my ideas are challenged- it's an opportunity for growth- it's an opportunity for the sharing of ideas and a working towards the Truth.
I'm sorry Joe that the intelligence level here isn't up to your standards. I'm sorry that a pathological need for security in being "right" isn't met here. But mostly, I'm sorry that the words of Fr. Seraphim Rose and through him the entire tradition of Orthodoxy's Royal and tempered Path, did not touch your soul.

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
The young fogey
Moderated
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2003, 02:01:26 AM »

Keble has been doing a great job but I'll risk sounding personal and go ahead and add that Joe might really mean what he says but it's obvious to all that what's really happening, good intentions or no, is he is pretending to belong to ROAC in order to get attention. Posting to point out this church's contradictions and shortcomings only feeds that. He then can play the martyr/heroic defender of the faith. At least he's consistently apostolic and reactionary - both good points, and a sign of stability actually - but I fear for him too.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2003, 02:12:29 AM by Serge » Logged

katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2003, 09:23:22 AM »

Personally, I wonder if your spiritual father didn't think that there was too much intellectual and spiritual merit here--the truth of the true Orthodox church might get through to you on this board.

Joe, I pray for you on this journey.
the slave
intolerant of intolerance
High Elder

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: UGCC

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2003, 09:38:01 AM »

Joe , as I have said before - I will pray for you.

However I do have memories, that very recently after you said you were returning to Catholicism from ROCOR [ I believe it was ], your Spiritual Director then told you to stay off this Board - and you did not,     and very shortly after that you announced that you were going to ROAC.

I do hope that eventually you find out where God intends you to be as I cannot believe that you will be at peace till then.

God Bless

PS  I take it that you have therefore withdrawn from the Mr OCNet Competition Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 02, 2003, 09:39:35 AM by the slave » Logged

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2003, 04:57:50 AM »

I have the same memories, slave.

Joe's inability to follow the simple instructions of his spiritual father is a perfect example of what Keble has been talking about. Joe seems to be accountable only to himself.

Anyway, presuming that Joe is actually following his "spiritual father's" advice this time and not reading this, I think it best if we don't discuss Joe behind his back. May God go with him and give him peace wherever he finds himself. May God bless his youthful zeal for the truth, knowing that truth is a person, our Lord God and Savior Jesus Christ, and only in communion with Him will any of us know truth in its fullness.

John.
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2003, 08:23:26 AM »

As (I presume) the chief instigator here, I have not really known what to say. (I do wish his advisor had told him to stay off the e-Cafe too though.) I've sent Joe a message which he has at least opened, if not read.
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2003, 11:24:25 AM »

Hey!

We am too intelekshool!

Pardon me while I wipe the drool from my chin (and the keyboard).

God's love for you, Joe. May you be saved!

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
moronikos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ...and they were first called Christians in Antioch

I'm trying to think, but nothing happens!

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2003, 12:16:13 PM »

I've seen his ID come up on users who were browsing certain boards.
Innocent
No longer posting on this site
Elder

St. Innocent of Alaska

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2003, 12:23:55 PM »

I do not think he ever actually left. I've seen him browsing almost everyday since he left.

I've seen his ID come up on users who were browsing certain boards.
Karamazov
Elder

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2003, 09:55:00 PM »

Joe, if you're out there, GIVE US A SIGN!  AHA!  You've changed your name!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: