OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 02:30:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If you want to know the truth, read Wikipedia-and avoid the Press  (Read 2730 times) Average Rating: 0
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« on: May 12, 2009, 02:47:49 PM »

DUBLIN (AP) -- When Dublin university student Shane Fitzgerald posted a poetic but phony quote on Wikipedia, he was testing how our globalized, increasingly Internet-dependent media was upholding accuracy and accountability in an age of instant news.

His report card: Wikipedia passed. Journalism flunked.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Irish-student-hoaxes-worlds-apf-15201451.html?.v=1

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 03:58:16 PM »

It's a sad, sad day when Wikipedia is actually more reliable than a newspaper. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 05:23:29 PM »

Sadder still the reason: anyone can write Wikipedia, but somebody can check it.

Only the somebodies of the elite can write for the press, and nobody can check them.  Or question them.

More reason to abolish the first amendment.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
chrevbel
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 11:52:28 PM »

Only the somebodies of the elite can write for the press, and nobody can check them.  Or question them.

Methinks I missed the part about how you got from your premises to your conclusion.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 11:59:44 AM »

No, no, no, no, and no!  More reason to hire better editors and journalists, not just some dimwit English majors who can't find a job anywhere else.  I say this being an English major who couldn't find a job myself (dimwit or otherwise).  This is just one reason why the newspaper industry is failing.  They're trying so desperately to keep up with the speed of internet news (which is itself often unreliable) that they keep grasping at these big news scoops, regardless of the veracity of the story.  I just don't think conventional news is going to survive.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 12:34:27 PM »

What? Huh Please explain how abolishing the first amendment wouldn't make the elite even more difficult to check. As it stands, you contradict yourself terribly--or else you completely misunderstand the Bill of Rights.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 12:39:18 PM »

What? Huh Please explain how abolishing the first amendment wouldn't make the elite even more difficult to check. As it stands, you contradict yourself terribly--or else you completely misunderstand the Bill of Rights.

The Fourth Estate always uses its alleged watch dog responsibilty as cover for its excesses under the First Amendment.  As this little exercise shows, journalism is dead, so the sanctimonious lot at the New York Times et alia can go on to the afterlife of the Bloggosphere, where there is no pretense of objectivity.

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 12:40:29 PM »

The Fourth Estate always uses its alleged watch dog responsibilty as cover for its excesses under the First Amendment.  As this little exercise shows, journalism is dead, so the sanctimonious lot at the New York Times et alia can go on to the afterlife of the Bloggosphere, where there is no pretense of objectivity.
Can you write this without using jargon? Go on...you have the right to free speech.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 12:41:43 PM »

No, no, no, no, and no!  More reason to hire better editors and journalists, not just some dimwit English majors who can't find a job anywhere else.  I say this being an English major who couldn't find a job myself (dimwit or otherwise).  This is just one reason why the newspaper industry is failing.  They're trying so desperately to keep up with the speed of internet news (which is itself often unreliable) that they keep grasping at these big news scoops, regardless of the veracity of the story.  I just don't think conventional news is going to survive.

there's more to the failure of the press, but a complete answer would be in the politics section, other than the fish don't know he's wet so how can he edit?

One word though: FOX news.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 12:42:40 PM »

Can you write this without using jargon? Go on...you have the right to free speech.

I already see that the explanation can't be on this forum.  Start a thread in politics, and if I have time I'll go into what we already know.

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 01:01:15 PM »

there's more to the failure of the press, but a complete answer would be in the politics section, other than the fish don't know he's wet so how can he edit?

I can see where this is going already.  *sigh*

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 02:06:46 PM »

LOL.

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 01:11:25 PM »

The liberal media elite are acting like the Nazis.  The EP sucks.  Greeks and Turks are bad.  Arabs are good. 

There I saved you a lot of reading. 
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 01:57:50 PM »

The liberal media elite are acting like the Nazis.  The EP sucks.  Greeks and Turks are bad.  Arabs are good. 

laugh LOL! You've got us pegged.

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 02:30:15 PM »

Thanks, much obliged!   laugh

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 02:32:56 PM »

ah, the cacophony of singing to the choir.

Sorry to interrupt you MSNBC viewing.  LOL. Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 02:34:04 PM by ialmisry » Logged

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 03:00:43 PM »

ah, the cacophony of singing to the choir.

Myeh, they're no good either.  I'll continue getting my news from Fark.com.  Grin

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 06:59:44 PM »

There' s much more to gaining news then a couple of networks and two or three big papers.  (and I don't get my news from any TV either).  I'll take freedom of the press, thanks.  There are plenty of alternative press sources.

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 07:03:02 PM »

I'll continue getting my news from Fark.com.  Grin
There's always The Onion.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2009, 11:47:53 AM »

OO OO! Me next! Me next!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 11:48:19 AM by Papist » Logged

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2009, 01:04:04 PM »

OO OO! Me next! Me next!

Abortion.  Infanticide.  Hysterics.  Holocaust.  Abortion.  Public Eduction is evil.  Abortion.  Government programmes that would lower the abortion rate are slavery.  Abortion. 
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2009, 01:07:19 PM »

Right, because surely we must rely on one of the big media producers to think for us. There's no possibility we might, say, dislike them all.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2009, 01:12:44 PM »

Right, because surely we must rely on one of the big media producers to think for us. There's no possibility we might, say, dislike them all.
Not to choose is to choose. Tongue

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2009, 01:24:25 PM »

Not to choose is to choose. Tongue
Again, you don't seem to take into account that news doesn't have to come from the Big Four. By choosing "none of the above," we are not necessarily choosing "none."

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2009, 01:46:32 PM »

I'll continue getting my news from Fark.com.  Grin
There's always The Onion.

Indeed!

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2009, 01:51:23 PM »

OO OO! Me next! Me next!

Abortion.  Infanticide.  Hysterics.  Holocaust.  Abortion.  Public Eduction is evil.  Abortion.  Government programmes that would lower the abortion rate are slavery.  Abortion. 

Grin  Grin  Grin
Except you have to remember I'm still on the fence about public education.  Wink
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 01:52:24 PM by Papist » Logged

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2009, 02:58:53 PM »

I choose none since I don't have cable at home.  I catch some FOX when I'm over at my parent's since they have it on a lot, but it is honestly too stressful for me after about ten seconds.  There are like ten tickers going in opposite directions and it is so emotionally charged.  If I watch TV news, PBS is what I stick with.  PBS isn't the 24 / 7 adrenaline pumping, sexy cable news as entertainment, but they have had some great coverage of the fighting in Swat that is much more in-depth than anything else I've seen on TV. 

The internet is great for getting free news.  I read the Economist cover to cover (more RSS feed to RSS feed) every week, for free.  You'd be hardpressed to find better reporting on international affairs.  I don't think that level of quality can be replaced by wikipedia like sources.  In a perfect world, they ought to compliment one another.  I use both blogs and traditional sources.

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2009, 10:15:29 PM »

Thanks to the wonders of the 'Net, I read news from a number of international sources, granted in English, but it is still useful to find out the way people in Japan or Australia or New Zealand or Singapore or England or India etc etc look at world events.  And as I mentioned before there are lots of indie sources.  It takes so thought and discernment, but I'll take a free press and the first amendment thanks

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2009, 10:26:12 PM »

OO OO! Me next! Me next!

Pro-gay Finnish Freemasonic women taking communion druing thier menstral period without headscarfs in churches with pews from bishops with no beards who are known sex offenders who may or may not be in communion with the MP:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmxyj6iInMc
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 10:31:05 PM by Tallitot » Logged

Proverbs 22:7
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2009, 07:09:10 AM »

Wikipedia actually dodged a nasty bullet, because once the bogus quote got into a newspaper, the "quote" in the news story could then have been cited in the article and thus be protected-- at least until the truth was revealed.

I edit in Wikipedia, and I keep a bunch of articles on my watchlist-- which is to say, when I ask, I get a list of recent changes in those articles. I've only dealt with one bogus citation, which was being used to defend an urban legend, and it was difficult to chase down because I didn't have direct access to the supposed original source. Of course, someone else fought me the whole way on it. Still, imperfect fact-checking is better than none at all.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2009, 01:32:58 PM »

The image of a false quote being supported by it's mention in the news because it was found on Wiki strikes me as circular, like the Worm Ouroboros

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouroboros

and if it had come to pass I think this worm would have had a very chewed up tail.
 Cheesy

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2009, 02:29:48 PM »

The image of a false quote being supported by it's mention in the news because it was found on Wiki strikes me as circular,

Like reading web articles that tell us about how credibility on the internet has improved drastically? Cheesy

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Dismas84
Struggling

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2009, 10:49:55 PM »

/agreed

"It is truly difficult for me to say who has done me more good and who has done me more evil in the world: friends or enemies."
-- Saint Nikolai Velimirovic

The blog of an Orthodox convert
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2009, 08:53:38 PM »

I do not think that you can neatly pigeon hole Ialmisry this way. How about:

The main stream media have fascistic tendencies. Greeks, Turks and Arabs are OK. The EP sucks big time.

BTW, I would agree with all except to soften the EP bit and to add, Rushbo is right. You betcha!

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: