OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 03:44:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is a Representation Church?  (Read 1259 times) Average Rating: 0
cholmes

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: May 11, 2009, 04:11:09 PM »

Is this to be thought of in the same way as the embassy of a nation in another?  In other words, if I go to an OCA Representation Church in Russia is it as if I were going to one here in the States?  And is this sort of church commonplace?

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 05:26:23 PM »

Here is a link to the OCA's representation church in Moscow.
http://www.st-catherine.ru/index.php?lang=eng&sitepartid=2

rwprof
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA now, Antiochian originally

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 05:46:19 PM »

If I were temporarily living in Moscow, I would probably go to St Catherine. I have a hard time imagining going to a representational church if I were just visiting Moscow, or any other European or Middle Eastern city. It seems kind of like eating at Mickey D's when you're in Hong Kong for the weekend.

Mark (rwprof) passed into eternal life on Jan 7, 2010.  May his memory be eternal!
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 05:52:07 PM »

If I were temporarily living in Moscow, I would probably go to St Catherine. I have a hard time imagining going to a representational church if I were just visiting Moscow, or any other European or Middle Eastern city. It seems kind of like eating at Mickey D's when you're in Hong Kong for the weekend.

Well, does St. Catherines in the Fields use Church Slavonic or English?  And even if they do use English that probably would be the only difference between it and a MP church up the street.  It is important to remember that the OCA does use Russian small traditions and serves liturgically Russian style.  Although a local parish of the OCA may use some varying chant styles they still use Slavic/Russian liturgical customs.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 05:54:35 PM by username! » Logged

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 10:24:57 PM »

I'm confused.  How can this work canonically?  Why is an OCA church on Russian soil?  If English speakers need to be ministered to, why cannot the MP simply provide an English speaking parish under its own jurisdiction?

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
cholmes

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 10:30:06 PM »

I'm confused.  How can this work canonically?  Why is an OCA church on Russian soil?  If English speakers need to be ministered to, why cannot the MP simply provide an English speaking parish under its own jurisdiction?

That's what I was wondering.  I assume that the secular analogy would be a foreign consulate in another country.   Huh

arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 10:59:41 PM »

They are there at the request of the host Church. The best analogy is that they are Embassies. The person assigned is usually an Archimandrite or Bishop and their main function is to be a liaison between between their home synod and the host synod. One of the key qualifications is the ability to speak their native tongue as well as the tongue of the land that they assigned to so that they can be the bridge and official translator.   

Joseph
cholmes

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 11:13:56 PM »

They are there at the request of the host Church. The best analogy is that they are Embassies. The person assigned is usually an Archimandrite or Bishop and their main function is to be a liaison between between their home synod and the host synod. One of the key qualifications is the ability to speak their native tongue as well as the tongue of the land that they assigned to so that they can be the bridge and official translator.   

So other then the OCA/MP, is this type of arrangement common in other jurisdictions?

Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 11:42:06 PM »

I've read something related to the life of St. Rafael of Brooklyn, which made reference to a representation church of the Patriarchate of Antioch in Russia, at Moscow, as I recall, but it may have been in St. Petersberg.  During the tenure of Patriarch Bartholomew, the Ecumenical Patriarchate negotiated permission from the Church of Greece for the establishment of an office for the Ecumenical Patriarchate in Athens, Greece.  The last time I read anything about it, the two churches were in dispute over the number of employees that would be authorized to staff the office.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 10:34:07 AM »

The CoP has some plans of starting one in Patriarchate of Jerusalem but I don't know more.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 11:01:24 AM »

That's what I was wondering.  I assume that the secular analogy would be a foreign consulate in another country.   Huh

yes, they are often called "Ambassador Churches."

So other then the OCA/MP, is this type of arrangement common in other jurisdictions?

Very common, even normal.  The Archbishop of Sinai, for instance, actually resides in his metochion (the technical term) to Alexandria, in Cairo.

Btw, the Vatican has them: they are called Titular Churches.  St. Peter's is actually the one for Constantinople.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 11:05:08 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: