OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 02:31:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 20 Torments  (Read 10829 times) Average Rating: 0
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #90 on: May 19, 2009, 08:45:31 PM »

Are you going to ignore proof that the Bible is the infallible Word of GOD?

Yes, I am going to ignore claims of people who have no idea what the Bible actually is that it is "the infallible Word of GOD." And especially if W is capitalized and GOD is in all caps - that's plain hysterical and not worth any further discussion. Be well and stay away from wacos.

Love never fails.
Pap

« Reply #91 on: May 19, 2009, 09:06:32 PM »

My Bible (and yours) has GOD'S name capitalized. Jesus’ name always has the first letter in caps. ie When the Bible says LORD, it's talking about GOD. When it says Lord, it's talking about Jesus. I also show reverence to HIS Bible by using a capital B or W when I call it HIS Word. You show it reverence by Kissing it, I show by giving it a capital.
PS You may also have noticed I use a capital i when I talk about myself. That is called English grammar.
I suppose when you die GOD might ask you what you have read. You’ll name all the writings of the Fathers. How sad HE will be when you tell HIM you haven’t read HIS Book or if you’ve place the writings of mere men over HIS writings.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #92 on: May 19, 2009, 09:26:49 PM »

My Bible (and yours) has GOD'S name capitalized.

Well, first off, it's not God but the noun LORD that is capitalized - and even that, in the OT, not in NT. The reason why the word "Lord" is capitalized in OT is an old Jewish custom stemming from the tradition to replace the proper name Jehovah with the general noun "Lord," for purely supersticious reasons. And then - why should it matter? I repeat, just because I seem merely to know and appreciate what my Church teaches me, - the Word of God is not the text of any book, but the Person of Jesus Christ, the unique "hypostasis" Who joined God and man in Himself. I hope and pray you meet Him. Unless you do, all our exchanges are "chasing after the wind." I have. In the Church. Have you? Seriously?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 09:27:51 PM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
Pap

« Reply #93 on: May 19, 2009, 09:35:32 PM »

I, my dear friend do not leave my brain at the door when I worship at my Church. You however seem to accept everything your Church teaches with blind faith. We are comanded to be like the Bereans (Acts 17:11 KJV)  These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

What are the Scriptures? The writings of the Fathers?
They are now gathered into one volume called the Bible.

Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #94 on: May 19, 2009, 10:02:25 PM »

I, my dear friend do not leave my brain at the door when I worship at my Church. You however seem to accept everything your Church teaches with blind faith. We are comanded to be like the Bereans (Acts 17:11 KJV)  These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

I do not leave my brain at the door either, but I know, with the help of this brain, that the Bible Canon was compiled at the Laodicean Council of the Church in the late 300's. Before that, there was no way in the world to claim that the Gospel of John WAS the Bible, and the Gospels of Thomas, Judas or of some "little green spirits" were not. So, the Church actually gave us the Bible, by Her thorough, slow, careful deliberations. And similarly the Church gives us the dogmatics, and the applications of it to our everyday life - not any book or Internet URL. Smiley

Love never fails.
Pap

« Reply #95 on: May 19, 2009, 10:32:19 PM »

When I was Orthodox I was under the impression that the Bible was a GOD inspired book. With all their faults our uneducated priests never denied that it was the "word of GOD". Now you're trying to tell me it isn't?
I suppose the Bible contradicts the beliefes of the Church in many ways, so the best defence is attack.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #96 on: May 19, 2009, 10:42:10 PM »

With all their faults our uneducated priests never denied that it was the "word of GOD". Now you're trying to tell me it isn't?

The Word of God is Christ.  Read the first chapter of the Gospel according to St. John. 

Heorhij isn't denying that the Bible is inspired by God.  He is giving you the history of its compilation.  It didn't drop down from heaven as it is today, the day after Christ's resurrection.  It's compilation has a long history and it involves the work of councils attended by bishops of the Church.

Prior to the late fourth/early fifth centuries there was no universally accepted rule as to what the Christian Bible consisted of.  Different communities had different lists of books they considered to be scripture.  This is well documented.  It was the Church which, a few centuries after Christ's death and resurrection, finally decided which books were in and which were out.

Pap

« Reply #97 on: May 19, 2009, 11:09:12 PM »

Why won't you watch this short video? I guarentee you will be impressed.

http://www.tangle.com/view_video.php?viewkey=cecdb33a38d06b187a2d

(Rev 22:19 KJV)  And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Pap

« Reply #98 on: May 19, 2009, 11:24:17 PM »

(Mat 21:42 KJV)  Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord's doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes?

(Mat 22:29 KJV)  Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.

(Mat 26:54 KJV)  But how then shall the scriptures be fulfilled, that thus it must be?

(Mat 26:56 KJV)  But all this was done, that the scriptures of the prophets might be fulfilled. Then all the disciples forsook him, and fled.

(Mark 12:24 KJV)  And Jesus answering said unto them, Do ye not therefore err, because ye know not the scriptures, neither the power of God?

(Mark 14:49 KJV)  I was daily with you in the temple teaching, and ye took me not: but the scriptures must be fulfilled.

(Luke 24:27 KJV)  And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.

(Luke 24:32 KJV)  And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?

(Luke 24:45 KJV)  Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,

(John 5:39 KJV)  Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

(Acts 17:2 KJV)  And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures,

(Acts 17:11 KJV)  These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

(Acts 18:24 KJV)  And a certain Jew named Apollos, born at Alexandria, an eloquent man, and mighty in the scriptures, came to Ephesus.

(Acts 18:28 KJV)  For he mightily convinced the Jews, and that publicly, showing by the scriptures that Jesus was Christ.

(Rom 1:2 KJV)  (Which he had promised afore by his prophets in the holy scriptures,)

(Rom 15:4 KJV)  For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

(Rom 16:26 KJV)  But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:

(1 Cor 15:3 KJV)  For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

(1 Cor 15:4 KJV)  And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

(2 Tim 3:15 KJV)  And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

(2 Pet 3:16 KJV)  As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

(Mark 12:10 KJV)  And have ye not read this scripture; The stone which the builders rejected is become the head of the corner:

(Mark 15:28 KJV)  And the scripture was fulfilled, which saith, And he was numbered with the transgressors.

(Luke 4:21 KJV)  And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.

(John 2:22 KJV)  When therefore he was risen from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this unto them; and they believed the scripture, and the word which Jesus had said.

(John 7:38 KJV)  He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

(John 7:42 KJV)  Hath not the scripture said, That Christ cometh of the seed of David, and out of the town of Bethlehem, where David was?

(John 10:35 KJV)  If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;

(John 13:18 KJV)  I speak not of you all: I know whom I have chosen: but that the scripture may be fulfilled, He that eateth bread with me hath lifted up his heel against me.

(John 17:12 KJV)  While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.

(John 19:24 KJV)  They said therefore among themselves, Let us not rend it, but cast lots for it, whose it shall be: that the scripture might be fulfilled, which saith, They parted my raiment among them, and for my vesture they did cast lots. These things therefore the soldiers did.

(John 19:28 KJV)  After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst.

(John 19:36 KJV)  For these things were done, that the scripture should be fulfilled, A bone of him shall not be broken.

(John 19:37 KJV)  And again another scripture saith, They shall look on him whom they pierced.

(John 20:9 KJV)  For as yet they knew not the scripture, that he must rise again from the dead.

(Acts 1:16 KJV)  Men and brethren, this scripture must needs have been fulfilled, which the Holy Ghost by the mouth of David spake before concerning Judas, which was guide to them that took Jesus.

(Acts 8:32 KJV)  The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth:

(Acts 8:35 KJV)  Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.

(Rom 4:3 KJV)  For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.

(Rom 9:17 KJV)  For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might show my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.

(Rom 10:11 KJV)  For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

(Rom 11:2 KJV)  God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew. Wot ye not what the scripture saith of Elias? how he maketh intercession to God against Israel, saying,

(Gal 3:8 KJV)  And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.

(Gal 3:22 KJV)  But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.

(Gal 4:30 KJV)  Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.

(1 Tim 5:18 KJV)  For the scripture saith, Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward.

(2 Tim 3:16 KJV)  All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

(James 2:8 KJV)  If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well:

(James 2:23 KJV)  And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

(James 4:5 KJV)  Do ye think that the scripture saith in vain, The spirit that dwelleth in us lusteth to envy?

(1 Pet 2:6 KJV)  Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.

(2 Pet 1:20 KJV)  Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

All these New Testament Verses use the words Scripture or Scriptures.
The reason I point these out to you is to show that all these verses are refering to the Old Testament
Old Testament is Scripture. So at least 1/2 your Bible is Scripture. Not just a History Book.
I can also prove that the other half (New Testament) is also Scripture but somehow I don't think you will bother reading it because it hasn't been sanctioned by the Orthodox Church.
sohma_hatori
Earthbending Novice
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church

The Blind Bandit

« Reply #99 on: May 19, 2009, 11:33:21 PM »

Why won't you watch this short video? I guarentee you will be impressed.

(Rev 22:19 KJV)  And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

On this video, Id like to repeat what others have already said here. THE BIBLE DIDN'T EXIST BEFORE THE CHURCH DID.. Gee, its SO easy for you to point your finger at the ancient Church and say, "Oooh! They added Greek Philosophy and other crap into Christian Teaching blah3x".. Well, no matter how much you use the bible against us, one thing you cannot deny is that, it was the Orthodox Church who CHOOSE which books will be compiled into the Bible. It's exactly the reason why we DON'T have Gnostic heresies inside there. Also, those books were chosen by the standard of the faith that was ALREADY being held by the people of the Church eversince then. The Compilation of the Bible therefore, is a product of the Orthodox Faith, because our bishops wouldn't have placed those sacred books there had they been contradicting what we have always believed..
 This only proves that without Holy Tradition, the Bible wouldn't have any REAL Theological Value. But BECAUSE of Holy Tradition, we Christians recognized that Indeed the Bible is TRULY written with the Inspiration of the Holy Spirit, and God through the Bishops of the Church revealed to us, which of the myriad of religious writings then, were that which affirms the true faith, the true teachings of Christianity.
Therefore, you protestants CANNOT use the bible against us, because the Bible was compiled to affirm THE Faith, not some other faith..

""Pride is not the opposite of shame, but it's source. True humility is the only antidote to shame.""
— Iroh- Avatar:The Last Airbender
sohma_hatori
Earthbending Novice
High Elder

The Blind Bandit

« Reply #100 on: May 19, 2009, 11:40:18 PM »

I can also prove that the other half (New Testament) is also Scripture but somehow I don't think you will bother reading it because it hasn't been sanctioned by the Orthodox Church.[/b]

What do you mean "not sanctioned by the Orthodox Church"?? As Heorhij has said, THE CHURCH compiled the books of the Bible.. If we hadn't compiled it for you, then I ask you, what would have been your "infallible" basis for the faith??

Come to think of it, it was the Church who actually ALLOWED the use of what is now the bible, for the use of Christian instruction.. Again I repeat, the Bible was compiled on the basis of the faith that the early Christians have already held from the start, therefore the Bible cannot be use to argue against the tenets of Orthodox Christianity.

""Pride is not the opposite of shame, but it's source. True humility is the only antidote to shame.""
Pap

« Reply #101 on: May 20, 2009, 12:00:37 AM »

You don't get it!
Yes your Church may have compiled it through the power of the Holy Spirit. Don't you wonder why only those 66 books were chosen? And doesn't it seem a little strange that ONLY those 66 books follow a particular mathematical pattern. It's proof that these books were GOD inspired. No other book, not even the Machabean books, not the Koran or even a one page essay can follow this pattern.  It is impossible.. Only GOD can accomplish such a feat.
Watch the video and I will shut up.
Pap

« Reply #102 on: May 20, 2009, 12:06:27 AM »

Come to think of it, it was the Church who actually ALLOWED the use of what is now the bible, for the use of Christian instruction..

Yeh! How long did it take for the Church to ALLOW the public to read the Bible?
We were commanded to read it but the Church hid it from us. Thank GOD for the reformers.
Rev 1:3  Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.
sohma_hatori
Earthbending Novice
High Elder

The Blind Bandit

« Reply #103 on: May 20, 2009, 12:11:52 AM »

You don't get it!
Yes your Church may have compiled it through the power of the Holy Spirit. Don't you wonder why only those 66 books were chosen? And doesn't it seem a little strange that ONLY those 66 books follow a particular mathematical pattern. It's proof that these books were GOD inspired. No other book, not even the Machabean books, not the Koran or even a one page essay can follow this pattern.  It is impossible.. Only GOD can accomplish such a feat.

You don't have to shut up really, and forgive me for any offenses I have done..  Undecided

Mathematics doesn't prove anything concerning this Theological problem.. So what if numbers on the Bible and patterns on the books have 7 on them? That doesn't "prove" that the Bible is God Inspired. I don't think The apostles, or the early Christians for that matter based there respect for scripture on these mathematical patterns! I mean,  My own birthday has many patterns that can lead to seven, does that mean I am God-like?? Or if person X, had his birthday on June 6 2006, does that mean that he is the anti-christ??

My point here is that, there was already a faith before the bible, and the bible was compiled according to that faith. The Bible is not infallible per se, because it was not even the basis for why there IS a Christianity in the first place. We must also be mindful of Holy Tradition, which affirms not only the value of the Bible for the Christian, but also affirms the authenticity and antiquity, of the True Christian faith.

(Modified for errors in grammar)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 12:17:20 AM by sohma_hatori » Logged

sohma_hatori
Earthbending Novice
High Elder

The Blind Bandit

« Reply #104 on: May 20, 2009, 12:13:18 AM »

Come to think of it, it was the Church who actually ALLOWED the use of what is now the bible, for the use of Christian instruction..

We were commanded to read it but the Church hid it from us. Thank GOD for the reformers.
Rev 1:3  Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.

Yes, the Church hid it from us, that's why it is being read from the pulpit during Divine Liturgy, and processed in ceremony before being opened for the readings..

Pap

« Reply #105 on: May 20, 2009, 12:43:52 AM »

So the Church was in error in the past?
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #106 on: May 20, 2009, 12:51:03 AM »

Your ancestors may have hid the Bible from people, but not mine.  People were well-educated enough in the Faith in the 4th-10th Centuries to debate scripture and Theology in the streets.  You can thank the Lord for the reformers all you want, but they brought to the Church what was not needed; we knew the scriptures, read them and treasured them within the context of the continuous tradition of Saints from Christ's time (and before) to the present - they, OTOH, threw out the opinions of those who had read and known and lived the scripture for over 1,000 years (at the time).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #107 on: May 20, 2009, 12:52:55 AM »

You don't get it!

There were more than 66 accepted before the reformers; the Christian Church had for 1,000 years used the LXX as its basic OT.  Not until the incomplete and flawed scholarship of the modern age have we thrown out what the Church had known for so long.

I sincerely doubt that.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #108 on: May 20, 2009, 12:53:03 AM »

Oh really?  And who did the gathering.....?

As St. Peter warns (II Peter 3:)15 our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; 16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction. 17 Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness."

Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.  God, by the hand of St. Paul, so commands us explicitely (unlike your implicite example of the Bereans). II Thessalonians 2:15.  Since you have refered to you own fall from stedfastness, you accuse Heorhij of blindly accepting, without basis.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Pap

« Reply #109 on: May 20, 2009, 12:55:21 AM »

Guys.
I believe I am a man of science. If I wasn't such a problem child I would have done well in any science field. It was science that convinced me that GOD is real. The science of Creation and the amount of science in the Bible. From Quantum physics, Hydrological cycles to currents, valleys and paths in the oceans deep. The Bible has the formula for "pie" and "e". I can go on but I won't. My son in law was an atheist till I pointed out the science in the bible. He is now one of the youth leaders at our church.
Others are attracted to the medical side, like the fact that the blood clotting factor is higher on the 8th day after birth. That is why GOD told the Jews to circumcise their boys on the 8th day. Adam had his rib removed to create Eve. The lower rib is the only bone that can regenerate. How did the writer of Genesis know that?
There are many things in the Bible that appeal to many people.
Mathematical structures are one tool that GOD uses. It's no big deal. In fact, it is a big deal because it can not be replicated by man.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #110 on: May 20, 2009, 12:57:06 AM »

I'm getting dizzy!

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Pap

« Reply #111 on: May 20, 2009, 12:58:10 AM »

THA SOU RIXO TO LADI NA SE XE-MATIASO.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #112 on: May 20, 2009, 12:59:38 AM »

So at least 1/2 your Bible is Scripture. Not just a History Book.

Actually, the Fathers specifically call the OT Scripture, and the NT they split into Gospels, Acts, Apocalypse, and Letters.  So it would be more accurate to refer to the first "1/2" as Scripture.

I can also prove that the other half (New Testament) is also Scripture but somehow I don't think you will bother reading it because it hasn't been sanctioned by the Orthodox Church.

If you're implying that the Orthodox Church has not sanctioned whatever writing you're going to put forward as "proof" that the New Testament is Scripture, then don't bother.  The New Testament is the foundation of the Church, the lens for interpreting all Scripture, and the only collection that covers the period before beginning of time (John 1:1) to after the end (countless places besides Revalation).

If you're implying that the Orthodox Church hasn't sanctioned the New Testament, You'll need to prove it, or suffer the consequences of grossly misrepresenting the Orthodox position on scripture on an Orthodox board.  If this is indeed what you're implying, you'll need to offer proof (which I'm positive you won't find) in the next 48 hours, or clarify that this is not what you were implying, or you will be warned.  (Yes, this is an official moderatorial request for sources/proof or retraction, as per The Compiled Board policies (link}.

---------------------
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #113 on: May 20, 2009, 01:03:08 AM »

Even the Apostles themselves, at the forefront of the wave of Christianity, wouldn't think that all could be contained about the Goodness of Jesus Christ in one (1!) book:

John 21:25 "And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen."

---------------------
Pap

« Reply #114 on: May 20, 2009, 01:06:19 AM »

...If you're implying that the Orthodox Church hasn't sanctioned the New Testament, You'll need to prove it, or suffer the consequences of grossly misrepresenting the Orthodox position on scripture on an Orthodox board.  If this is indeed what you're implying, you'll need to offer proof (which I'm positive you won't find) in the next 48 hours, or clarify that this is not what you were implying, or you will be warned.  (Yes, this is an official moderatorial request for sources/proof or retraction, as per The Compiled Board policies (link}.

No. Your people hereon this Forum are implying that the Orthodox Church hasn't sanctioned the New Testament. I came here quoting the Bible and they tell me that the Bible is not held as high as the Church father's writings. Go back and read the previous posts.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #115 on: May 20, 2009, 01:12:06 AM »

No. Your people hereon this Forum are implying that the Orthodox Church hasn't sanctioned the New Testament. I came here quoting the Bible and they tell me that the Bible is not held as high as the Church father's writings. Go back and read the previous posts.

I'm not dense, so if I'm not seeing where people have implied that the Church hasn't sanctioned the New Testament, it must be a bit of a stretch.  Why don't you enlighten me with quotes of what you're talking about, so I don't have to guess at which straw you're grasping at.

---------------------
sohma_hatori
Earthbending Novice
High Elder

The Blind Bandit

« Reply #116 on: May 20, 2009, 01:20:23 AM »

Guys.
I believe I am a man of science. If I wasn't such a problem child I would have done well in any science field. It was science that convinced me that GOD is real. The science of Creation and the amount of science in the Bible. From Quantum physics, Hydrological cycles to currents, valleys and paths in the oceans deep. The Bible has the formula for "pie" and "e". I can go on but I won't. My son in law was an atheist till I pointed out the science in the bible. He is now one of the youth leaders at our church.
Others are attracted to the medical side, like the fact that the blood clotting factor is higher on the 8th day after birth. That is why GOD told the Jews to circumcise their boys on the 8th day. Adam had his rib removed to create Eve. The lower rib is the only bone that can regenerate. How did the writer of Genesis know that?
There are many things in the Bible that appeal to many people.
Mathematical structures are one tool that GOD uses. It's no big deal. In fact, it is a big deal because it can not be replicated by man.

yes, mathematics is a tool... However, it isn't the Number 7 that makes the Bible infallible or the sole basis of faith.. You must respect the fact that Holy Tradition is what gave rise, to the compilation of what is now the Bible.

Pap

« Reply #117 on: May 20, 2009, 01:27:21 AM »

yes, mathematics is a tool... However, it isn't the Number 7 that makes the Bible infallible or the sole basis of faith.. You must respect the fact that Holy Tradition is what gave rise, to the compilation of what is now the Bible.

What I am saying is; if GOD has gone to so much trouble to ad this Heptadic structure, HE must have done it for a reason. Why do YOU think it isn't Infallible (Fallible) [Mr Cleveland, Hi hope you are reading what he's  saying]
Can you please point to something in the bible that proves its fallibility? I have read it over and over and whenever I find something strange, there has always been an explanation.
Pap

« Reply #118 on: May 20, 2009, 01:33:00 AM »

I'm not dense, so if I'm not seeing where people have implied that the Church hasn't sanctioned the New Testament, it must be a bit of a stretch.  Why don't you enlighten me with quotes of what you're talking about, so I don't have to guess at which straw you're grasping at.

No body called you dense. A little sensitive may be, but not dense. I'm trying to prove the Bible's infallibility and they are doing the debating.
You’ve obviously made up your mind to moderate me in 48 hours because you don’t like what I’m saying.
Reminds me of a news story last year where some evil Protestants were handing out copies of the new testament in a little Greek village. The local Priest organized a mob to chase them out of town. The poor missionaries were black and blue by the end of the whole affair.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 01:33:49 AM by Pap » Logged
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #119 on: May 20, 2009, 01:52:38 AM »

No body called you dense. A little sensitive may be, but not dense.

Hardly.  It's ok, I'm not "sensitive."

I'm trying to prove the Bible's infallibility and they are doing the debating. You’ve obviously made up your mind to moderate me in 48 hours because you don’t like what I’m saying. 

I haven't made up my mind; you made an ambiguous statement, and so I provided options for each eventuality.  However, since you haven't retracted, and in fact have re-asserted that you think others are arguing something they're not (i.e. that the Orthodox Church has not "endorsed" the New Testament), I haven't seen any reason to retract my potential warning.

You've made a fairly controversial claim (which, by their nature, are not verboten here); but in making this claim (i.e. that others have been arguing in such a way as to imply that the Orthodox Church does not endorse the New Testament) you have to prove your assertion, since it flies in the face of what our Church explicitly teaches!

Reminds me of a news story last year where some evil Protestants were handing out copies of the new testament in a little Greek village. The local Priest organized a mob to chase them out of town. The poor missionaries were black and blue by the end of the whole affair.

Real Christian-like of your people: going to an already Christian area to poach believers, rather than going to an area where people had not heard the gospel.  People in Eastern Europe are tired of Protestants telling their 50th-generation Christian children that they're not really Christian.  If they had focused the energy that they've directed at Eastern Europe elsewhere were the gospel is not preached or not as prevalent, the number of Christians in the world would be significantly higher.

---------------------
Pap

« Reply #120 on: May 20, 2009, 01:59:23 AM »

Are you serious?
I'm arguing for SOLA SCRIPTURE and they are against it.
That is all that is happening here.
Pap

« Reply #121 on: May 20, 2009, 02:08:16 AM »

BTW. Has any body watched the video?
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #122 on: May 20, 2009, 02:12:53 AM »

Are you serious?

Usually am (outside of the Random Postings thread).

I'm arguing for SOLA SCRIPTURE and they are against it.

Actually, you're trolling (i.e. attempting to inflame anger through your posts while not attempting to enter dialogue).

I suppose the Bible contradicts the beliefes of the Church in many ways, so the best defence is attack.

I'm trying to prove the Bible's infallibility and they are doing the debating.
You’ve obviously made up your mind to moderate me in 48 hours because you don’t like what I’m saying.

Why don't you address the actual points that some of us have brought up.  Let me summarize just a few of them:

As St. Peter warns (II Peter 3:)15 our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; 16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction. 17 Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness."

Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.  God, by the hand of St. Paul, so commands us explicitely (unlike your implicite example of the Bereans). II Thessalonians 2:15.  Since you have refered to you own fall from stedfastness, you accuse Heorhij of blindly accepting, without basis.

Yes, the Church hid it from us, that's why it is being read from the pulpit during Divine Liturgy, and processed in ceremony before being opened for the readings..

My point here is that, there was already a faith before the bible, and the bible was compiled according to that faith. The Bible is not infallible per se, because it was not even the basis for why there IS a Christianity in the first place. We must also be mindful of Holy Tradition, which affirms not only the value of the Bible for the Christian, but also affirms the authenticity and antiquity, of the True Christian faith.

You've made a fairly controversial claim (which, by their nature, are not verboten here); but in making this claim (i.e. that others have been arguing in such a way as to imply that the Orthodox Church does not endorse the New Testament) you have to prove your assertion, since it flies in the face of what our Church explicitly teaches!

Real Christian-like of your people: going to an already Christian area to poach believers, rather than going to an area where people had not heard the gospel.  People in Eastern Europe are tired of Protestants telling their 50th-generation Christian children that they're not really Christian.  If they had focused the energy that they've directed at Eastern Europe elsewhere were the gospel is not preached or not as prevalent, the number of Christians in the world would be significantly higher.

That is all that is happening here.

Not from where I'm sitting.  You're simultaneously trying to prove:

Sola Scriptura
Biblical Infallibility
That the statements of the Orthodox on this forum indicate that the Orthodox Church hasn't endorsed the New Testament
The Church has hid the scriptures from the people
Orthodox people in Eastern Europe chase off Bible-loving Christians

---------------------
Pap

« Reply #123 on: May 20, 2009, 02:42:47 AM »

You CAN NOT defend what the Orthodox Church (BTW That is an oxymoron) is doing to it’s people.
They’ve been using fear for decades to keep people from leaving her. A Greek would rather his family and friends be atheists than Protestants.
When My mother was dyeing, the local stupid moron Priest came in and opened his little doll house covered in icons. Pulled out some communion that was in a bottle no bigger than a thimble and gave her some in a coke spoon. He left without saying a word. He never prayed with her or even asked her if she trusted Christ. I ran out to drag him back in to talk to her but was stopped by my Orthodox relatives. Even at death they don’t try to help. I told her to pray to Christ and not Mary (as she would have) .She gave me the dirtiest look. If she had the energy, she would have got up off her death bed and given me a belting
I suppose my dumb brothers light candles for her and Dad and feed them KOLIVA.
Yes Sir. Your Church does not practice what the Bible teaches. I suppose the clergy will be punished in the end
(James 3:1 NIV)  Not many of you should presume to be teachers, my brothers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly.
You can believe what you like, but when you place the writings of mere men and circular reasoning above the writings of GOD you lose.
(Col 2:8 KJV)  Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

I know I’m all over the place with my rantings but I am furious at the number of my loved ones that are now probably in Hell because of the Orthodox Church.

Tell me. Do you know if you are going to Heaven when you die?
I’m a Protestant and I know I’m going. I bet you and everyone else here can not be sure of their salvation.

You're being placed on Post Moderation for your unsubstantiated innuendo against the Church which you refuse to acknowledge that you're making and you've refused to offer proof of your position.  You will still be able to post, but your posts must be approved before appearing on the forum.  We will not "silence" dissent, but we will force you to support your position, rather than rely on innuendo to Troll the forum.

The duration of your Post Moderation is 99 days, although we can reduce or increase that based on your posting behavior.

If you feel that this warning is in error, please PM Fr. Chris (the Forum Administrator) to appeal.

- Cleveland, Global Moderator
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 08:37:25 AM by cleveland » Logged
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #124 on: May 20, 2009, 02:51:24 AM »

I’m a Protestant and I know I’m going.
How presumptuous can you be to think you know the secret judgments of God!!?

I bet you and everyone else here can not be sure of their salvation.
In the end, I'd be willing to bet you can't, either.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 02:56:03 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Pap

« Reply #125 on: May 20, 2009, 03:04:37 AM »

My GOD tells me in HIS book, The BIBLE, that all believers in Christ will go to Heaven.

John 10:9 I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and go out, and find pasture.

Acts 4:12 Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved.

Hebrews 9:28 so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many people; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him.

Romans 10:9 That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord, " and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

-(Jn. 3:16)God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life".

(Jn. 6:47)"He that believes on me has everlasting life"

(Jn. 17:3)"This is eternal life; that they may know Thee, the only true God and Jesus Christ whom Thou hast sent:.

(I Jn. 5:11)"This is the record, that God has given to us eternal life, and this life in in His Son"....

(I Jn. 5:13) "These things I have written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life"...

(Jn. 14:6)" I am The Way, The Truth, and The Life; no man can come to the Father except through me". -- Jesus Christ

Your religion uses one verse to make a doctrine because you're too busy reading the writings of the Church Fathers

(Mat 7:1 NIV)  "Do not judge, or you too will be judged.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #126 on: May 20, 2009, 03:14:20 AM »

My GOD tells me in HIS book, The BIBLE, that all believers in Christ will go to Heaven.

Then there is no need for you to be anxious that the Orthodox and the Catholics, etc. will not go to Heaven.  By your own teaching we will be there.

So why be so concerned about our doctrines?   They don't change the fact that we believe in Christ and will be in Heaven.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #127 on: May 20, 2009, 03:33:34 AM »

John 10:9 I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and go out, and find pasture.

Acts 4:12 Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved.

Hebrews 9:28 so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many people; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him.

Romans 10:9 That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord, " and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

-(Jn. 3:16)God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life".

(Jn. 6:47)"He that believes on me has everlasting life"

(Jn. 17:3)"This is eternal life; that they may know Thee, the only true God and Jesus Christ whom Thou hast sent:.

(I Jn. 5:11)"This is the record, that God has given to us eternal life, and this life in in His Son"....

(I Jn. 5:13) "These things I have written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life"...

(Jn. 14:6)" I am The Way, The Truth, and The Life; no man can come to the Father except through me". -- Jesus Christ
You missed--or should I say you conveniently ignored--some verses.  (But then, why should I be surprised, seeing how you and your ilk have taken the entire Bible out of context since before the 1500's.  You see, Pap, there's a reason I'm no longer Protestant.)

Matthew 10:22 - "and you will be hated by all for my name's sake. But he who endures to the end will be saved."

Philippians 2:12 - "Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for God is at work in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure."

2 Timothy 2:11-13 - "The saying is sure: If we have died with him, we shall also live with him; if we endure, we shall also reign with him; if we deny him, he also will deny us; if we are faithless, he remains faithful--for he cannot deny himself."

Hebrews 3:5-6 - "Now Moses was faithful in all God's house as a servant, to testify to the things that were to be spoken later,
but Christ was faithful over God's house as a son. And we are his house if we hold fast our confidence and pride in our hope."  (The NKJV translates this as "if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm to the end.")

Revelation 2:26 - "He who conquers and who keeps my works until the end, I will give him power over the nations, and he shall rule them with a rod of iron, as when earthen pots are broken in pieces, even as I myself have received power from my Father; and I will give him the morning star."

(All verses quoted from the RSV)

Can you honestly say now that you will persevere to the end?  I don't know that I can say that.

Your religion uses one verse to make a doctrine because you're too busy reading the writings of the Church Fathers

(Mat 7:1 NIV)  "Do not judge, or you too will be judged.
And what doctrine would that be, O Divine judge of our souls?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 03:37:52 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Pap

« Reply #128 on: May 20, 2009, 03:39:05 AM »

Then there is no need for you to be anxious that the Orthodox and the Catholics, etc. will not go to Heaven.  By your own teaching we will be there.

So why be so concerned about our doctrines?   They don't change the fact that we believe in Christ and will be in Heaven.
You won't be there because if you are an Orthodox you pray to Mary and the Saints. (BTW the Bible says we [the believers] are all Saints)
Jesus said to pray to Him. He is a jealus God. Nobody comes to the Father except through Him etc.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #129 on: May 20, 2009, 03:42:54 AM »

You won't be there because if you are an Orthodox you pray to Mary and the Saints. (BTW the Bible says we [the believers] are all Saints)
Jesus said to pray to Him. He is a jealus God. Nobody comes to the Father except through Him etc.
Do you really care to know why we pray to Mary and the Saints (because they direct our hearts and minds to Christ), or are you content to just continue to troll our forum with ignorant garbage?
Pap

« Reply #130 on: May 20, 2009, 03:48:24 AM »

PeterTheAleut
If I fail, I was never a "follower of Christ". I was a liar.
If I am a "follower of Christ" I will endure till the end.
Worship GOD in the name of Christ. Not GOD in the name of Mary or your Saint.
The bible also says that Heaven rejoices whenever a soul gets saved.
Pap

« Reply #131 on: May 20, 2009, 03:50:30 AM »

Do you really care to know why we pray to Mary and the Saints (because they direct our hearts and minds to Christ), or are you content to just continue to troll our forum with ignorant garbage?

I can tell, this is going  to be good.
Go ahead. Can you do it without circular reasoning? Can you do it Biblically?
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #132 on: May 20, 2009, 03:54:33 AM »

PeterTheAleut
If I fail, I was never a "follower of Christ". I was a liar.
If I am a "follower of Christ" I will endure till the end.
I love it when the "perseverence of the saints" or "once saved, always saved" crowd confuses 5-Point Calvinism with Scripture to produce unbiblical stuff like this.

I can tell, this is going  to be good.
Go ahead. Can you do it without circular reasoning? Can you do it Biblically?
You obviously aren't here to engage us in serious discussion, so why should I?
Pap

« Reply #133 on: May 20, 2009, 03:56:34 AM »

Oh?
OK. You can use circular reasoning and you don't have to quote the Bible.
Why are you guys so precious?
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #134 on: May 20, 2009, 04:01:31 AM »

To everyone else:

DON'T FEED THE TROLL!

Tags: toll houses Canon of scriptures Troll 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: