OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 03:01:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 20 Torments  (Read 10847 times) Average Rating: 0
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2009, 02:24:00 AM »

But If the Church insists that it is now Dogma, I believe it is only because it suits what they believe.

Man, you are really itching to piss off someone on here, aren't you?

So if you are not Orthodox, are you affiliated with any other group?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 02:24:44 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Pap

« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2009, 02:25:27 AM »

AMAAA! You said a bad word
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2009, 02:27:06 AM »

But If the Church insists that it is now Dogma, I believe it is only because it suits what they believe.

First off, this quote shows how you have reversed what has actually occurred: praying for the dead is efficacious because it has been shown to be so in Scriptures, not because the Church needs to come to some justification for Tradition.

Secondly, this also shows that you have entered this forum not to learn about the Orthodox Faith, but to attack the Body of Christ.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Pap

« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2009, 02:33:21 AM »

Convince me that the Church is not teaching heresies and I will return. I am in your eyes a lost sheep.
My life would be much simpler if I left the Evangelical church and returned to the Orthodox Church. All my friends and relatives will no longer treat me like a leper and I might be welcome to dine with them and not spat on.  Cry
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2009, 02:34:36 AM »

AMAAA! You said a bad word
Last time I heard someone actually talk like that was when I was a little kid.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2009, 02:35:59 AM »

Convince me that the Church is not teaching heresies and I will return. I am in your eyes a lost sheep.
My life would be much simpler if I left the Evangelical church and returned to the Orthodox Church. All my friends and relatives will no longer treat me like a leper and I might be welcome to dine with them and not spat on.  Cry

Now you're appealing to pity.  Do you really have anything logical to say anymore?
Pap

« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2009, 02:44:00 AM »

Our local Priest (Who insidently was eventually kicked out for paedophylia) spent some time in every sermon warning us about the evil evangelicals. He said things like we burn icons, pray to Satan and all sorts of lies.
It wasn't till I heard an evangelical message that I realised it was all Propaganda.
As I said earlier: Convince me I'm wrong.
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2009, 03:23:54 AM »

Our local Priest (Who insidently was eventually kicked out for paedophylia) spent some time in every sermon warning us about the evil evangelicals. He said things like we burn icons, pray to Satan and all sorts of lies.
It wasn't till I heard an evangelical message that I realised it was all Propaganda.
As I said earlier: Convince me I'm wrong.

It sounds like your former priest didn't know a lot about Evangelicals, if he is even a real person.  But even you should be aware how iconoclasm was a hallmark of the "Re-formation."  Burning of iconography was common, but this conflict specifically was removed from Holy Orthodoxy.  I don't know of any Christians intentionally praying to Satan, unless you mean "Christian" used broadly enough to include some forms of Satanism which rely so heavily on inverted Christian imagery that it would be correct to refer to them as being paradigmatically 'stuck' in Christianity, even in their feeble opposition to it.  Such opposition actually fuels and reinforces Christian understanding as it is constricted by its linguistic and symbolic parameters, but I acquiesce.

The other side is just as guilty of propaganda, with catch-phrases like "Mary Worship" and "idolatry."  I think a better term than propaganda on either side would be misunderstanding.  As far as proving you wrong on these matters, simply grab a history book and start reading.  I don't need to prove anything, the Church has history on her side.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 03:25:15 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2009, 03:50:45 AM »

Praying for the dead is not found in the Bible.
Certainly it is.

See this message

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13820.msg304145.html#msg304145
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2009, 04:38:41 AM »

I asked this same question when I was studying and was told it is Deuetocanonical, so we only use it for historical reference , not theological.

This can be said about 4 Maccabees or 3 Esdras (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2_Esdras), which are included in Orthodox Bibles as non-canonical appendices, but not about 2 Maccabees which is a canonical book of the Old Testament. "Deuetocanonical" and "protocanonical" are Roman Catholic terms - coined under the influence of the Protestant Reformation - and should have no application in Orthodoxy.
Pap

« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2009, 04:55:44 AM »

http://www.bible.ca/catholic-apocrypha.htm
Michał
High Elder

« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2009, 05:23:46 AM »

What do you want to prove / show / draw our attention to by posting this link?
Pap

« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2009, 05:35:27 AM »

I draw your attention to the whole page.
It discusses the fact that the Maccabean books are NOT docrine.
Michał
High Elder

« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2009, 06:13:06 AM »

It's good but Jesus-Is-Savior.com is even better. Wink
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 06:15:01 AM by Michał » Logged
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2009, 09:29:26 AM »

I'd love to see the things that FrChris requested of you Pap. As stated previously, the link you provided is linked to the teaching of tollhouses. If you are looking for a smoking gun to shut the coffin on Orthodoxy, with tollhouses, you have failed miserably. It is NOT a doctrine/dogma of the Church PERIOD. The priests that I have come in contact with over the years, as well as my spiritual father, have all said to run from this teaching like the plague. They could not/cannot say this type of thing in regards to Saints, Prayers for the Dead, The Eucharist, etc. If you truly wish to be convinced of Orthodoxy, try being a little more kind in your posts. There are many non-Orthodox on this forum that have great relations with us. Why? Because they truly want to learn, and they don't demean us. I am not sure you are interested in learning, though.
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2009, 09:53:17 AM »

It discusses the fact that the Maccabean books are NOT doctrine.

The Old Testament of the Orthodox Church is the Septuagint, not the Masoric text that the Roman Catholic and Protestant Churches utilize. The website that you quote from is one of the Roman Catholic Church and not a website from the Orthodox Church. So yes, in the Orthodox church, praying for the dead is a biblical teaching that is officially found within the Official Text of the Old Testament utilized by the Orthodox Church called the Septuagint.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2009, 09:59:32 AM »

The Old Testament of the Orthodox Church is the Septuagint, not the Masoric text that the Roman Catholic and Protestant Churches utilize. The website that you quote from is one of the Roman Catholic Church and not a website from the Orthodox Church. So yes, in the Orthodox church, praying for the dead is a biblical teaching that is officially found within the Official Text of the Old Testament utilized by the Orthodox Church called the Septuagint.

Thomas
Exactly. I would also love to know what the "Official" Canon of Scripture is supposed to be anyway? Certainly not the one formulated in the 15/1600s. Convince me I'm wrong. Wink
Michał
High Elder

« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2009, 10:09:21 AM »

The website that you quote from is one of the Roman Catholic Church and not a website from the Orthodox Church.

You mean this one: http://www.bible.ca/catholic-apocrypha.htm? I had an impression that it was a fundamentalist Protestant website.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 10:09:56 AM by Michał » Logged
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2009, 10:16:47 AM »

The website that you quote from is one of the Roman Catholic Church and not a website from the Orthodox Church.

You mean this one: http://www.bible.ca/catholic-apocrypha.htm? I had an impression that it was a fundamentalist Protestant website.
Yeah, the site is worthless. The same tired Sola Scriptura argument regurgitated over and over. I really don't see who it appeals to.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2009, 10:51:49 AM »

Toll Houses have been discussed in any Church councils (someone here would know more about that than I do).

The first notes about it come from late 9th century and the last Ecumenical Council took place in 787.
http://www.oca.org/FSlives.asp see: Venerable Theodora of Constantinople  
monkvasyl
High Elder

Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2009, 02:08:56 PM »

If this is what I have to look forward to, I'd rather deal with Purgatory...lol

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Michał
High Elder

« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2009, 02:23:17 PM »

The first notes about it come from late 9th century. . .

It's not so obvious. St Paul already in the 1st century wrote about "the Ruler of the Powers of the Air, who is still at work among the disobedient" (Eph 2:2).
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2009, 02:35:23 PM »

It discusses the fact that the Maccabean books are NOT docrine.

Then why do the Jews celebrate Hanukkah?

I mention that, because you use their canon, why not their calendar?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2009, 02:40:54 PM »

When we asked a prominent scholar/Dr of Theology/Monk/Priest (yes, he is all of the above) of the Orthodox Church at the Q&A during a theological lecture, he reluctantly answered us: It IS an official belief of the Orthodox Church BUT it is “not taught”.

Please provide within 48 hours a source for this assertion, naming the person you are stating teaches this as well as the date and location of this lecture.

+FrChris
Admin

You should know better than that.
Just in case you're wondering, when a moderator or admin posts in bolded green text like this, this is a formal moderatorial request and is not open to public discussion.

-PeterTheAleut

And it's not a rhetorical question.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2009, 04:33:04 PM »

Thomas
Exactly. I would also love to know what the "Official" Canon of Scripture is supposed to be anyway? Certainly not the one formulated in the 15/1600s. Convince me I'm wrong. Wink

In response to your question, This is an excerpt from a longer article located at www.septuagint.net

Septuagint (sometimes abbreviated LXX) is the name given to the Greek translation of the Jewish Scriptures. The Septuagint has its origin in Alexandria, Egypt and was translated between 300-200 BC. Widely used among Hellenistic Jews, this Greek translation was produced because many Jews spread throughout the empire were beginning to lose their Hebrew language. The process of translating the Hebrew to Greek also gave many non-Jews a glimpse into Judaism. According to an ancient document called the Letter of Aristeas, it is believed that 70 to 72 Jewish scholars were commissioned during the reign of Ptolemy Philadelphus to carry out the task of translation. The term “Septuagint” means seventy in Latin, and the text is so named to the credit of these 70 scholars.

Septuagint - Influence on Christianity
The Septuagint was also a source of the Old Testament for early Christians during the first few centuries AD. Many early Christians spoke and read Greek, thus they relied on the Septuagint translation for most of their understanding of the Old Testament. The New Testament writers also relied heavily on the Septuagint, as a majority of Old Testament quotes cited in the New Testament are quoted directly from the Septuagint (others are quoted from the Hebrew texts). Greek church fathers are also known to have quoted from the Septuagint. Even today, the Eastern Orthodox Church relies on the Septuagint for its Old Testament teachings.

+++
A summary of several articles cited below:

It is notable that the Eastern Orthodox Church still prefers to use the LXX (Septuagint)as the basis for translating the Old Testament into other languages. The Eastern Orthodox also use LXX untranslated where Greek is the liturgical language, e.g. in the Orthodox Church of Constantinople, the Church of Greece and the Cypriot Orthodox Church. There is actually a scholarly consensus that the LXX represents a separate Hebrew-text tradition from that which was later standardized as the Masoretic text and is therfore an earlier understanding of the Jewish scriptures as understood by the Jews at the time of Christ.
(reference cite - a)Karen Jobes and Moises Silva, Invitation to the Septuagint ISBN 1-84227-061-3, (Paternoster Press, 2001). - The current standard for Introductory works on the Septuagint.
                       b) William Priestly, "The Dead Sea Scrolls." — A detailed explanation with scholarly apparatus.

I agree with you, as Orthodox christians we do not rely upon a canon of scripture that was settled between 1500 and 1600 (your quote) but rather on the practices and citations of the Early Church Fathers.  There are many who believe that the Jewish attempt at canonizing the Masoric text of the Old Testament is actually an attempt by jewish scholars and rabbis of the time  to minimize the us of quotations of LXX scriptures by the apostles and Our Lord as an attempt to minimize the reliance on scripture to prove the messiahship of Jesus Christ by the Christians.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2009, 05:16:46 PM »

....why on earth would I reprimand somebody on a website that I am not associated with?
If I name him on a public forum, his career will be ended

Then, as I mentioned before but you ignored...describe him in a private message to me.

And, if he were "tirelessly working for GOD" then he should not mind me contacting him.

Have we met sir? Do I have your credentials. Do you honestly expect me to post or PM you his details?

We have not yet met. However, it is well known that I am a priest in the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, serving in Jackson, MS. I invite members of this forum to vouch for me in this regard.

Fr. Chris is indeed a Greek Orthodox Priest. He has a wonderful parish (at least from the pictures) and he is an Administrator of this site.

-nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2009, 05:27:44 PM »

....why on earth would I reprimand somebody on a website that I am not associated with?
If I name him on a public forum, his career will be ended

Then, as I mentioned before but you ignored...describe him in a private message to me.

And, if he were "tirelessly working for GOD" then he should not mind me contacting him.

Have we met sir? Do I have your credentials. Do you honestly expect me to post or PM you his details?

We have not yet met. However, it is well known that I am a priest in the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, serving in Jackson, MS. I invite members of this forum to vouch for me in this regard.

As if he needed anyone else to vouch for him; Fr. Chris is indeed a priest in the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America serving in Jackson MS.  I attended his ordination to the priesthood (fried chicken for coffee hour?  yes!), was a schoolmate and next-door neighbor at Theological School, etc.  If you need more details: tough.

As for confidence in Fr. Chris' ability to hold things in, well, confidence... He's been trusted by a number of people with confidential personal information and situations for as long as I've known him (August 2003); he had a reputation as a person of great care on campus at Theological School, and has not broken the confidences of people yet since I've met him.  As far as I'm concerned, I would (and will) trust him with my life.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2009, 10:20:43 PM »

That doesn't sound like any Orthodox priest I have ever known or heard.  In my personal experience, it is the Evangelicals who obsess with telling lies about the Catholics and Orthodox.  Kind of like your list of 20 torments, or whatever that was.

Pap

« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2009, 12:21:25 AM »

That doesn't sound like any Orthodox priest I have ever known or heard.  In my personal experience, it is the Evangelicals who obsess with telling lies about the Catholics and Orthodox.  Kind of like your list of 20 torments, or whatever that was.

He used to say things like; the Evangelicals have "Holy Icons" under their carpet so they can be troden under foot.
Granted this was about 30 years ago but the old goat did a number on our congregation. His sons went to school with a very good friend. They never fasted and they once admitted that they were not even Orthodox. Their father's job is a Priest but doesn't practice it. Just in case I get moderated again, his Church was St Nicholas in Marrickvile Sydney. The archdiocese said he was sent back to Greece for his pedophilia but he shaved his goatee and got a job at Sydney airport as a customs officer. I don't know how to prove this but I have to answer to my Lord is I'm telling a lie.

So can someone tell me? How theologumena get into the Church and why do some priests believe and teach these false beliefs? Are'nt they answerable to the Archbishop? Shouldn't they all be teaching from the same books?
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2009, 12:36:52 AM »

I am so very sorry you were hurt.  May the Lord Jesus Christ heal your wounds, and may God have mercy upon this man and lead him to repentance!  I hope that this man's actions will not keep you away from the Church forever, and I pray that the unfortunate wrongdoings of weak servants would not keep you from the truth of the Orthodox faith!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 12:37:31 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Pap

« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2009, 03:06:53 AM »

Yeh! He's probably rotting in Hell. Screaming like a pig.
I hope the Church doesn’t still protect these pedophiles like the Catholic Church does.
I’ve gone off the topic. Sorry but these uneducated priests did a lot of damage in the past and still do. My mother in law was told at some senior citizens bible study that the original sin was anal sex.
Doesn’t matter what you tell her, she won’t change her beliefs because Fr Michael said so. (He’s retired last year, so there is no point chasing him up Fr Chris).
My Dad spent the last 30 years of his life in constant pain. He resorted to seeing a psychic who told him someone cast a spell on him. He told his priest but his priest did not reprimand him. He died not long after. Why didn’t the $#&#ing priest help him? (I can name the priest if you want). How many millions of Orthodox are going to Hell before the Orthodox Church stops worrying about offending their flocks or losing to the Evil Evangelical Protestants and start teaching the truth. Did Paul or John worry about offending the Christians? NO!!! John called the ones that hated their brother liars. He didn’t pull any punches.
The old goat (TRAGO)  should have told dad that if he continued to visit the psychic he would be condemning himself to Hell.
I better go before I break the keyboard.
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2009, 03:25:08 AM »

Yeh! He's probably rotting in Hell. Screaming like a pig.
I hope the Church doesn’t still protect these pedophiles like the Catholic Church does.
I’ve gone off the topic. Sorry but these uneducated priests did a lot of damage in the past and still do. My mother in law was told at some senior citizens bible study that the original sin was anal sex.
Doesn’t matter what you tell her, she won’t change her beliefs because Fr Michael said so. (He’s retired last year, so there is no point chasing him up Fr Chris).
My Dad spent the last 30 years of his life in constant pain. He resorted to seeing a psychic who told him someone cast a spell on him. He told his priest but his priest did not reprimand him. He died not long after. Why didn’t the $#&#ing priest help him? (I can name the priest if you want). How many millions of Orthodox are going to Hell before the Orthodox Church stops worrying about offending their flocks or losing to the Evil Evangelical Protestants and start teaching the truth. Did Paul or John worry about offending the Christians? NO!!! John called the ones that hated their brother liars. He didn’t pull any punches.
The old goat (TRAGO)  should have told dad that if he continued to visit the psychic he would be condemning himself to Hell.
I better go before I break the keyboard.

Kyrie Eleison.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2009, 07:53:22 AM »

Dear all, first, please forgive me that I missed this thread as a Mod yesterday; Global Mods and Admin, thank you so much for taking care of things here. Dear Pap, yes, lines in green are official moderatorial statements and they are not up for discussion, according to the rules of this Web forum. --Heorhij, moderator (Free-For-All, religious topics)

Now as a participant: Yes, from what I heard, torments (Old Church Slavonic "mytarstva") of the soul after death and before the general resurrection of the dead is what we call a theologumenon, meaning, a pious opinion of some theologians - but not a dogma of the Orthodox Church.

I think if one really wants to know what is dogma and what is theologumenon, one must: (a) pay a very close attention to the words of the Nicene-Constantinople Creed, because essentially all Church dogmatics is there, and (b) get in touch, personally, with a highly educated Orthodox priest or bishop, and respectfully, prayerfully ask him to clarify things.

Starting a heated debate on a Web forum, especially using expressions like "the lies the Orthodox Church teaches," etc., will definitely not clarify anything...
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 07:53:49 AM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
Pap

« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2009, 08:22:44 AM »

I remember now. The 20 Torments that I posted on my old web (at least 12 years ago) site was coppied from a book I once purchased from the church book shop.
How do these Theologumena even get a start?
I think because the Church has so so many Church Fathers and Saints, nobody knows who is reputable and who isn't. My parents were worshiping Saint Dinitri tou Leka till the Church anounced that he was never a Saint. Yet they got his books and Icons from the Church book stand on a Sunday on the Church grounds.
Go figure?
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2009, 08:52:48 AM »

I remember now. The 20 Torments that I posted on my old web (at least 12 years ago) site was coppied from a book I once purchased from the church book shop.
How do these Theologumena even get a start?
I think because the Church has so so many Church Fathers and Saints, nobody knows who is reputable and who isn't. My parents were worshiping Saint Dinitri tou Leka till the Church anounced that he was never a Saint. Yet they got his books and Icons from the Church book stand on a Sunday on the Church grounds.
Go figure?

I understand. I sometimes hear some very good people, obviously deeply believing Orthodox, say something like, "there is no evolution because that's what Holy Father Seraphim Rose says." Or, I remember being blasted and called a heretic because I mentioned, on another forum, that Genesis 3:21 ("animal skins") does not necessarily mean that man before the Fall had no flesh - people immediately quoted a number of Fathers who were, apparently, Platonists and who indeed believed that there was no flesh before the Fall (just an etherial, light, air-like body with no "meat" whatsoever on it). I quoted St. John Chrysostomos who obviously, clearly does NOT see any "flesh allegory" in these "animal skins," but my opponent said that I was "lying straight in the eye," even though I gave literal quotes and a link to an Orthodox source that had St. John's text.

Again, the only thing I can say in these situations is that we, perhaps, will all benefit if we (a) agree that the essence of the Church DOGMATICS (as opposed to "collection of OPINIONS") is all in the Nicene-Constantinople Creed, and (2) keep in touch with our spiritual Fathers, asking THEM to explain certain difficult moments in our learning the Church teachings, asking not casually but seriously, thoughtfully and prayerfuly...
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 08:53:45 AM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2009, 09:43:32 AM »

To the poster Pap,   May I suggest that you read this essay by a 20th c Orthodox saint who understands much of what is wrong in the human element within the church but sees the purity within the Orthodox Christian faith. http://incommunion.org/?p=26

Antiochian OC N.A.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2009, 12:37:07 PM »

Wow. Crazy thread.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Pap

« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2009, 05:53:08 PM »

I understand. I sometimes hear some very good people, obviously deeply believing Orthodox, say something like, "there is no evolution because that's what Holy Father Seraphim Rose says." Or, I remember being blasted and called a heretic because I mentioned, on another forum, that Genesis 3:21 ("animal skins") does not necessarily mean that man before the Fall had no flesh - people immediately quoted a number of Fathers who were, apparently, Platonists and who indeed believed that there was no flesh before the Fall (just an etherial, light, air-like body with no "meat" whatsoever on it). I quoted St. John Chrysostomos who obviously, clearly does NOT see any "flesh allegory" in these "animal skins," but my opponent said that I was "lying straight in the eye," even though I gave literal quotes and a link to an Orthodox source that had St. John's text.

Again, the only thing I can say in these situations is that we, perhaps, will all benefit if we (a) agree that the essence of the Church DOGMATICS (as opposed to "collection of OPINIONS") is all in the Nicene-Constantinople Creed, and (2) keep in touch with our spiritual Fathers, asking THEM to explain certain difficult moments in our learning the Church teachings, asking not casually but seriously, thoughtfully and prayerfuly...

You unwittingly proved my point.
You obviously believe in a form of Evolution. The Bible has no room for Evolution because if you ad up all the “begats” you’d get a figure of about 6000 years, allowing for a few generations that haven’t been mentioned. But wars and kings have been mentioned that archaeologists and historians can date. So why should I believe you if you teach a Doctrine different to GODS word?
You said some Church Fathers were Platonists. Then you tell me to consult my Spiritual Father. Who says that all Spiritual Fathers know what they are talking about? Is my Spiritual Father a Platonist?
Been an Orthodox is like been in the school debating team or a philosophy class. The Nicene-Constantinople Creed might have the truth of what Orthodoxy believes but the Orthodox clergy (and Church Fathers) have ignored it and added and taught whatever dream they’ve dreamt.
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2009, 06:18:48 PM »

You obviously believe in a form of Evolution. The Bible has no room for Evolution because if you ad up all the “begats” you’d get a figure of about 6000 years, allowing for a few generations that haven’t been mentioned. But wars and kings have been mentioned that archaeologists and historians can date. So why should I believe you if you teach a Doctrine different to GODS word?

Wow. First of all, I am not teaching you and there are no particular reasons you should believe ME. I am just a layman and a rank-and-file participant in OC.net discussions, not here to make anyone believe me. Second, the Orthodox Church has never been against figurative, allegoric interpretations of Genesis rather than literal, historical interpretations of it. Third, God's Word is not the Bible but the God-Man Jesus Christ, the Logos Incarnate, Who is always present in His Church. It is He Who teaches us, using a large variety of things: the Divine Liturgy, the Holy Mysteries, the Scriptures, the doctrinal documents of the Ecumenical Councils, the iconography, the architecture, and many other things...   

You said some Church Fathers were Platonists. Then you tell me to consult my Spiritual Father. Who says that all Spiritual Fathers know what they are talking about? Is my Spiritual Father a Platonist?

Not likely, because after the Fifth Ecumenical Council (553), Platonism and Neo-Platonism suffered a decisive blow and never really made a comeback into the Church doctrine (see the famous Anathemas against Origen that dealt with the "matter - bad, spirit - good" mentality, http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf214.xii.ix.html). If your spiritual Father is a seminary graduate, he most certainly knows that Platonism is not compatible with being an Orthodox presbyter. But in the 2-nd, 3-d, even 4-th century Platonism and Neo-Platonism (Plotinus) did influence the mentality and the language of many Church Fathers quite a lot.

Been an Orthodox is like been in the school debating team or a philosophy class. The Nicene-Constantinople Creed might have the truth of what Orthodoxy believes but the Orthodox clergy (and Church Fathers) have ignored it and added and taught whatever dream they’ve dreamt.

That's not true. First of all, the Nicene Creed IS ITSELF a product of many decades of deliberations of the many Church Fathers (BTW, same thing the Bible canon). From what you are saying, it seems like there was this Creed, fallen from the sky, and then these bad Fathers came and changed everything. Here, you are arguing like an extreme Sola Scriptura evangelical: we have this Bible (fallen from the sky), and then those bad Orthodox and Catholics added a lot of things to it. This is naive and inaccurate. Second, what was, indeed, added to the Church dogmatics, was added not arbitrarily (like someone dreaded a dream), but through meetings of many, many Ecumenical and local Councils. While some of these councils (like the Stoglav I mentioned) did not contribute much of substance and are today viewed as superfluous, other councils produced true gems of our faith like the Christological dogmat about the two natures of the Logos Incarnate (Chalcedon, 451). And lastly, if you have this preconceived notion that the Orthodox Church teaches falsehoods, why are you discussing on this forum? I am afraid we aren't going to convince you in anything if you have already made up your mind, and you will certainly not convince us (the Orthodox). Maybe we should start over, without you assuming that we are bad, lying, or childishly naive people?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 06:19:46 PM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
Pap

« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2009, 07:01:24 PM »

"Extreme Sola Scriptura evangelical"? Are you aware of the Heptadic Structure of the BIBLE?
I Beg you. Please watch this little video by Chuck Missler. No I didn't google this, I've met Chuch several times and he's no fool.

http://www.tangle.com/view_video.php?viewkey=cecdb33a38d06b187a2d
This Catholic Church tried to hide this stuff that Ivan Panin discoverd because it was proof for Sola Scripture.
Do the writings of the Church Fathers or Nicene-Constantinople Creed follow this structure?
In Christ
Pap
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2009, 07:47:44 PM »

"Extreme Sola Scriptura evangelical"? Are you aware of the Heptadic Structure of the BIBLE?
I Beg you. Please watch this little video by Chuck Missler. No I didn't google this, I've met Chuch several times and he's no fool.

http://www.tangle.com/view_video.php?viewkey=cecdb33a38d06b187a2d
This Catholic Church tried to hide this stuff that Ivan Panin discoverd because it was proof for Sola Scripture.
Do the writings of the Church Fathers or Nicene-Constantinople Creed follow this structure?
In Christ
Pap

Sorry, I don't know what you are talking about and I am out of this discussion. Be well.

Love never fails.
Pap

« Reply #86 on: May 19, 2009, 07:57:05 PM »

I thought Chuck Missler's explanation would have made it clear, but I'll try to summaries it for you.

Every single chapter and verse of the 66 books we call the Bible follow a mathematical formula. A formula that the Holy Spirit has put in it to prove its authentication. Chuck shows how it works. Only these 66 books have this formula (Heptadic structure). Please. It would only take 23.23 minutes to watch. The best 23.23minutes you will spend in a long time. The first couple of minutes he talks about the Gnostics then he get's "into it".
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #87 on: May 19, 2009, 07:59:20 PM »

I thought Chuck Missler's explanation would have made it clear, but I'll try to summaries it for you.

Every single chapter and verse of the 66 books we call the Bible follow a mathematical formula. A formula that the Holy Spirit has put in it to prove its authentication. Chuck shows how it works. Only these 66 books have this formula (Heptadic structure). Please. It would only take 23.23 minutes to watch. The best 23.23minutes you will spend in a long time. The first couple of minutes he talks about the Gnostics then he get's "into it".

Be well. Stay away from people who see "mathematical formulas" in the Bible.

Love never fails.
Pap

« Reply #88 on: May 19, 2009, 08:01:18 PM »

Are you going to ignore proof that the Bible is the infallible Word of GOD?
Pap

« Reply #89 on: May 19, 2009, 08:07:19 PM »

I suppose it’s OK to use a rotting corpse to prove a belief, just as it was used with St Euphemia. But GOD forbid we use a little mathematics to prove the BIBLE.

Miracle during the Council of Chalcedon
The Council of Chalcedon was the fourth Ecumenical Council of the Christian Church which took place in the city of Chalcedon in the year 451. It repudiated the Eutychian doctrine of monophysitism, and set forth the Chalcedonian Creed, which describes the "full humanity and full divinity" of Jesus Christ, the Second Person of the Holy Trinity.
The council sat in the cathedral consecrated in her name. Present at the council were 630 representatives from all the local Christian Churches. Both the Monophysite and Orthodox parties were well-represented at the council, so the meetings were quite contentious, and no decisive consensus could be reached. Patriarch Anatolius of Constantinople suggested that the council submit the decision to the Holy Spirit, acting through Saint Euphemia.
Both parties wrote a confession of their faith and placed them in the tomb of the saint Euphemia which was sealed in the presence of the emperor Marcian (450-457), who placed the imperial seal on it and set a guard to watch over it for three days. During these days both sides fasted and prayed. After three days the tomb was opened and the scroll with the Orthodox confession was seen in the right hand of St Euphemia while the scroll of the Monophysites lay at her feet.

Does the Nicene-Constantinople Creed  permit us to use a corps like that or was that another Theologumeno that Created another Saint?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 08:11:39 PM by Pap » Logged
Tags: toll houses Canon of scriptures Troll 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: