OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 09:46:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: convicted felon, +Demetri Khouri has returned to the United States  (Read 21188 times) Average Rating: 0
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #225 on: May 17, 2009, 12:55:43 AM »

POST OF THE MONTH!!
Douglas
High Elder

« Reply #226 on: May 17, 2009, 01:20:32 AM »

Most right-thinking men would feel exactly the same...

Baloney! You do not speak for most men. You speak for yourself and YOU alone. You have no authority to say that MOST right-thinking men feel the exact same way. How on earth do you know that? We've heard a few folks... a dozen? a half dozen? express their opinions on the matter. That does NOT constitute MOST men.

This is not being judgemental,

Yes, it IS being judgmental and it's a wrong judgment. See my comment above. All you have done is to express opinions (which is all I've done). That's all this entire thread is... a bunch of opinions based upon our experiences (very limited for some folks) and our knowledge of the bishop in question (for some... absolutely zero other than what they have read).

Scripture and Holy Tradition proclaims it to be so,

No, it does NOT declare it to be so. I reject your interpretation of both. See my earlier posts for my reasons for rejecting it.

... this sad and unfortunate case .

What is sad is the rush to judgment... the lack of compassion... the bullying here on this forum when a poster expresses a differing opinion from the majority view... the belittling and lack of respect for my right to express my own views. I don't appreciate being lumped in with the WRONG-THINKING men... but since my opinion happens to differ from yours... well... evidently you have the authority to place me there. What arrogance. You are entitled to your view and I do not resort to lending a label to you for holding it. I would appreciate the same civility shown to me. Thank you.

Douglas no longer posts on the forum.
Douglas
High Elder

« Reply #227 on: May 17, 2009, 01:34:46 AM »

I STRUGGLE NOT TO JUDGE, BUT I HAVE BEEN THROUGH THIS AND IT WAS LIKE HAVING CHRIST RIPPED RIGHT OUT OF MY HEART....AND I HAVE NO REASON TO ASK FOR MORE MERCY THAN THE BISHOP ASKS, BUT I AM ASKING.

kaarina

But judge you have, in spite of your wish not to do so. I appreciate that you have reasons for doing this. As I've tried to point out (but with little success), we are all black-hearted sinners NOT just Bp Demetri. It certainly does matter that he was inebriated when he committed this act whether you're willing to accept that fact or not. Alcohol can (and often does) cloud our judgment and loosen our inhibitions. We see the result with Noah and his sons when Noah allowed himself to become drunk with wine. There are many other biblical examples of this. It is anyone's guess what wrongful actions other clergy would indulge in were their inhibitions clouded by the demon of alcohol. That is by no means a justification for his actions BUT it is a partial explanation. You cannot dismiss this so simplistically.

Many of you are amazed that I would stand behind Bp Demetri. Perhaps I do so because I recognize what a sinner I am and that I'm in no position to judge him. I don't know the level of his remorse nor do I know the sincerity of his repentance. I don't know the discussions that have gone on between Bp Demetri and Met. Philip and because of my lack of knowledge, I'm in no position to say what is and what is not the appropriate placement of the bishop. I believe OUR position should be one of prayer FOR the bishop and for the metropolitan and the archdiocese rather than pontificating about his future on an internet forum.

I've expressed a willingness to listen to the female point of view. That doesn't translate into my believing that the best course of action. It simply means that I respect that position up to a certain point. Our position is not one of judgment. It should be one of prayer for this man, lest we fall into some worse sin ourselves. Lord, have mercy on me.

Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #228 on: May 17, 2009, 01:45:41 AM »

I believe OUR position should be one of prayer FOR the bishop and for the metropolitan and the archdiocese rather than pontificating about his future on an internet forum.

And yet you go on pontificating.  Sex offenders should not be bishops, EVER.
Douglas
High Elder

« Reply #229 on: May 17, 2009, 01:49:25 AM »

I've not spoke in a dogmatic manner. That has been the course of action of several others. I've merely expressed a contrary opinion but evidently I'm not even entitled to do that. <sigh>
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 02:20:48 AM by Douglas » Logged

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #230 on: May 17, 2009, 02:31:28 AM »

I believe OUR position should be one of prayer FOR the bishop and for the metropolitan and the archdiocese rather than pontificating about his future on an internet forum.

And yet you go on pontificating.  Sex offenders should not be bishops, EVER.
And how is THIS not a pontification?  And a very dogmatic statement at that!
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #231 on: May 17, 2009, 02:35:44 AM »

POST OF THE MONTH!!
Nomination duly noted. Wink
SDMPNS
High Elder

Jurisdiction: raised in Metropolia which became the OCA now I belong to a GOA parish..

Praise God for the beauty of Creation

« Reply #232 on: May 17, 2009, 07:18:11 AM »

Douglas...do you not use the name "Kerygma" on Beliefnet? I recognize the argumenative and disparaging tone as well as the self rightous posts.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #233 on: May 17, 2009, 07:37:59 AM »

Douglas...do you not use the name "Kerygma" on Beliefnet? I recognize the argumenative and disparaging tone as well as the self rightous posts.

LOL.  I'm sorry - your description fits about 40 or 50 users here (off the top of my head).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
SDMPNS
High Elder

Jurisdiction: raised in Metropolia which became the OCA now I belong to a GOA parish..

« Reply #234 on: May 17, 2009, 07:47:10 AM »

You may be right but I am experiencing deja vu all over again. I think he was also on Orthodoxcircle as kerygma. Reason I gave up on both sites.

Getting back to the subject on this thread so I don't get water boarded by the moderators. I am still trying to figure out why Metropolitan Philip would do this..a sop to the Palestinians, mendacity or misogyny?
Can you imagine how other churches will react if the Antiochian "No longer self ruled" Archdiocese has a registered sex offender as an axillary Bishop?
I am however more concerned about the message this would give women.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #235 on: May 17, 2009, 07:53:44 AM »

You may be right but I am experiencing deja vu all over again. I think he was also on Orthodoxcircle as kerygma. Reason I gave up on both sites.

Getting back to the subject on this thread so I don't get water boarded by the moderators. I am still trying to figure out why Metropolitan Philip would do this..a sop to the Palestinians, mendacity or misogyny?
Can you imagine how other churches will react if the Antiochian "No longer self ruled" Archdiocese has a registered sex offender as an axillary Bishop?

Given that, as I posted above, this has real world legal implications, maybe we should ask the chancellors for a legal opinion.  It seems to have worked regarding the latest uncanonical nonsense:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,19965.msg321758.html#msg321758

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Douglas
High Elder

« Reply #236 on: May 17, 2009, 12:25:55 PM »

Okay. That's about enough for me; I surrender.

Let's see... to date my sanity has been brought into question, I've been told that I've obviously adopted a devil's advocate position since it's unthinkable that anyone would hold to a difference of opinion... it's been noted that "all right-thinking" men think otherwise than I on this issue... and now I'm somebody else BECAUSE SDMPNS happens to know someone else online who's argumentative and therefore I MUST be that person. That description, SDMPNS, would fit about a thousand different posters (if not more). Yet, I'm still the one who's pontificating.

In all of the above instances, the subject of the thread's discussion was not being addressed. Instead personal attacks were leveled against me for adopting a different view of the discussion matter. I fail to see any moderator stepping in to censure the other posters so I can only assume that my being relatively new here places me squarely on the bottom of the totem pole and therefore these tactics have been "noted" but allowed anyway.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 12:27:11 PM by Douglas » Logged

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #237 on: May 17, 2009, 05:06:10 PM »

Brothers and sisters in Christ, let us focus on the topic of discussion and not veer into personal questions and judgments of participating posters.  Thank you.
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #238 on: May 17, 2009, 06:27:20 PM »

And how is THIS not a pontification?  And a very dogmatic statement at that!

They, I never said that I was not pontificating.  He did.  I was just calling him out on it.
kaarina33

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Western Rite

« Reply #239 on: May 17, 2009, 07:54:08 PM »

It certainly does matter that he was inebriated when he committed this act whether you're willing to accept that fact or not. Alcohol can (and often does) cloud our judgment and loosen our inhibitions. We see the result with Noah and his sons when Noah allowed himself to become drunk with wine. There are many other biblical examples of this. It is anyone's guess what wrongful actions other clergy would indulge in were their inhibitions clouded by the demon of alcohol. That is by no means a justification for his actions BUT it is a partial explanation. You cannot dismiss this so simplistically.

Bear with my while I think out loud...

Your claim to express a "different view"...reasonable

Your style of debate is self-effacing, you claim to not take it personal if others views differ exhibit humility and willingness to learn; you even thank them for widening your horizons;

HOWEVER, Your style of debate has had me on edge since the beginning, but I couldn't find any flaws in your interaction; you seem to be more wronged than wrong; and you are quick to forgive, and take "nothing personal"; bending over backward, to be generous; apologizing rather than become confrontational and willing to tolerate "different views" to the point that I wonder if you believe you are living and proclaiming what Christ, the Apostles and Tradition have proscribed; the scriptures witness that there are traits, behaviors that are expected of leaders....if there was no delineation, why all of Paul's admonishions...and why was it to the leaders that Christ spoke His most venomous words? ...and the majority on this thread hold a "different view" the view that is that written Scripture, and the writings of the Fathers also hold;  Your view, while sprinkled with grains of truth is  so contrary/ (maybe twisted is a better word) to yours that a stranger wandering by would wonder if we are talking about the same Church, the same God, the Same Tradition......that or we have one who has wandered in among us, who has gone beyond his realization that he is chief of sinners and has almost become perfect in  imperfection (including his own)...and because of that imperfection, no one can ever hold another accountable....and we must change the way things have always been because of this clarity of there is only one level...all are equal in sinfulness.....why have you not spoken about the fruit of virtue of his repentance that for the good of the Church, for the good of the Gospel, criminal record or not, we need his example?  I am not being sarcastic...

I am willing to myself on the line and make it personal....I do not judge you, I do not judge Bishop Demetri....but I do judge your "view"...which BTW is not a view it's dogma...those things that concern the Order and guarding the Truth, the Church has standards, canons, and traditions to and responsibility to protect it...its what were here for...if we cannot offer the way of Salvation to the World, we cease to be the Church.
The Church has procedures that may change, but the Church has always has Order and canons, traditions, to do ...whatever it takes to guard, protect and hand on the Truth entrusted to it.
Your "view", which states because we are all imperfect, we all sin, we all depend on the mercy and grace of God for all; and that anyone who turns toward him and lives a life of repentance, true repentance, will be saved...and only God can judge the heart, and at times the fruit of repentance may be visible only to God.....all true,

However, we are accountable to one another...it's not just "me and Jesus" and "you have to believe me if I say I repent, because God sees my heart and he knows I have repented."
No.
What you do, and, even more so, what the person/s who are responsible for handing on the Faith to me; responsible for uniting me to Christ IS PERSONAL.

And, although I have not read every post in this thread, your solos Scripture is showing when you say we are not to judge....I refer you to Chrysostom's homilies...basically he says anyone who would looks at evil and doesn't call it evil...either a fool, or a wolf in sheep's clothing.
Christ teaching had more to do with judging with True Wisdom...which we can only have in Christ, and that it is still playing with fire, because the standard we judge by are what will be applied to us.  I am called to become like Christ, and He is my ideal and my Standard and the only One I measure myself by... I learn Christ because I partly because I see Him transform others....and it is to those I look...and yes judge to follow their example, their faithfulness, their humility....But, I am not on my own....the Church gives me Saints and Shepherds, examples to follow....it's important and it's personal how one uses their body to follow Christ...(reference below about the mystical bond of body and soul and other members of Christ's body, the Church)  IT'S ALL PERSONAL...

And for those things we need to learn and LIVE and bear FRUITS OF....LIKE repentance, the Church does not lack for mentors, teachers and examples of true repentance...LOOKS LIKE....AND IT LOOKS THE PRETTY MUCH THE SAME FROM ALL ANGLES....if someone is living a life of true repentance they will not have to be pushed in your face....those qualities, those fruits will draw others....and if Bishop Demetri is rich in these fruits, he will be welcomed and loved, no matter what kind of list he is on.....it wouldn't be the first time a flock has followed a shepherd that has been caught on the wrong side of the law/or the popular view of the day....you don't have to defend the Bishop, his life will do that (or witness against him-it cuts both ways) if the time comes and he returns.

St. Mary of Egypt being the icon of repentance...repentance is the way to Salvation, not a stopover on the way back to the job you got fired from.

And blaming that demon alcohol for the evil of sin....WE ARE NOT DUALISTS/ EVIL HAS NO SUBSTANCE

GOD CREATED ALL THINGS GOOD- Evil has no independent existence (EVIL IS  movement toward utter nonexistence......
Again...going to the heart of the Sin in Bishop Demetri's treatment of another human and if their humanity, AS IF THEY HAD NO IMAGEO DEO....

btw, you were exactly right when you said that alcohol reduces inhibitions...and people do things they otherwise might not do....but the alcohol only weakens what one is struggling with...it doesn't create out of the blue behavior that we are not struggling with on some level when we are completely sober.

In other words, the "sin was in the bottle" or "the devil made me do it"...doesn't fly here.

Your "views" are not just "different"... I am beginning to sense they are dangerous.

Back to the Main Issue..
We are embodied souls (we are not shells with spirits living inside....our body and soul cannot be divided.... and it is not possible for a Christian to only commit a "little violation" that only involves rudely touching anther just a "body"...what touches the body touches the soul and what touches the soul affects the body...and since we are all joined mystically through Christ...the spirit is nudging me to not expose myself, and in turn, those I am bound and accountable to in continuing with debating your views, no matter how civilized, tolerant, and open to my opinions you may be...What ever happens, we are not totally at the mercy of those who may be wolves in sheep's clothing.  Each one of us, in mystical paradox have Christ, the Way, the Truth, the Light, the Gospel living within us...and the sheep know the True Shepherd's voice....but that means not being lulled by those who tell us their view is what the church teaches, when your heart tells you otherwise.  It is time to flee.

And I question the value and wisdom of  conversing with you at all...you are either very holy and wise or very clever and dangerous. And the spirit is nudging that this might not be a very good place to be right now.

But back to your "different view".....your almost perfect virtue, humility, and lowliness that would refrain from condemning the anyone, eliminating the possibility of erring on the side of perfect faith that would demand signs that God's Grace has fully restored and healed a soul; we, and I mean those with a view other than yours, demonstrate a lack of faith, act with presumption and  prelest by demanding  that those responsible for us, exhibit visible signs of repentance, metanoia, transformation, in other words show us Christ, so we can become like Christ.
That is the role of the Bishop- HE IS THE ONE THAT IS TO TRANSFORM US, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND (though there is always overlap, we have responsibility to pray and support and obey him...but not to grow him into a Bishop...in other words, there is not total parity)

Your way of expressing yourself, your way of interacting immediately puts others on the defensive...your "non judgmental attitude toward "different views" and your claims that we are all on the same plane as sinners doesn't add up either; you seem to have gone beyond what all Orthodox Christians claim to be, "chief of sinners" to one who is chief of the chief bid those of us who question you, end up appearing to question one who has reached perfection in admitting his imperfection.

Before I close, again, you confuse me and since I don't know if this is good or bad  debate, I will say that if I ever fall, stumble into sin that harms someone so much and publicly shames the church, I hope I have someone like you by my side to keep me from despair.

As you have done so far, for whatever reasons for your presence here-May the Mercy of God always be the first words on your lips.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 07:59:55 PM by kaarina33 » Logged

We are always living God's future in a broken present,
the Gospel is always a word of reconciliation from God's future spoken ahead of its time"
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #240 on: May 18, 2009, 09:58:24 AM »

Dear posters in this thread,

I am a bit concerned about the intensity of the debate in this thread, and especially about certain tendency to pick at individual posters.

After consulting with more experienced moderators and the administration, I hereby am telling you that this thread will be watched, and that it will perhaps do all of us a lot of good if we narrow the discussion exclusively on the case of +D. Khouri rather than on general issues of morality (seeking the speckle in our brother's eye).

If the general trend in this thread remains "moralistic" and picking on individual posters, I wll have to lock it.

Thank you,

Heorhij, moderator of "Religious Topics"
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 10:00:23 AM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #241 on: May 19, 2009, 04:30:55 PM »

Shouldn't all comments relating to the February 24 decision of the Holy Synod of Antioch be posted into that respective thread?  I really don't think that the issue here, namely of Bishop DEMETRI's status within the AOCA, is related to that.

I just split off some posts in question and combined them with the Antiochian thread. Thanks for your report; HOWEVER....

Scamadrius: If you report an issue, then why are you placing a post in the thread in question duplicating your report? Please respond to me in a PM regarding your reasoning behind this behavior.

+FrChris
Admin
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 06:47:39 PM by FrChris » Logged

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Tamara
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #242 on: May 21, 2009, 02:38:07 PM »

From OCA news:

According to the State of Florida retired Bishop Demetri (Khoury) of the AOCA has returned to the United States and taken up residence in Miami. (Read that here.)

The Bishop is currently serving as an auxiliary bishop in the Mexican Exarchate, assigned to Puerto Rico. There were some questions as to whether the Archdiocese was paying his salary in Mexico, even while having been “retired” from the Archdiocese by the Local Synod in 2004. According to sources close to Englewood, the Archdiocese does not officially pay his salary - rather, a member of the Archdiocesan Board of the Trustees has donated the required amount as a “gift” to the Mexican Exarchate, using the Archdiocese as a "pass-through".

http://www.ocanews.org/news/News5.20.09.html
SDMPNS
High Elder

« Reply #243 on: May 21, 2009, 04:30:49 PM »

"pass-through".................. is that another word for money laundering?
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #244 on: May 21, 2009, 09:39:16 PM »

"pass-through".................. is that another word for money laundering?

If that's what you want to call or I would rephrase the above as: a contribution to the Mexican Exarchate by a member of the Archidocesan Board of Trustees.

The latter reference doesn't sound as sinister as the former.
SDMPNS
High Elder

« Reply #245 on: May 22, 2009, 05:44:02 AM »

sinister is as sinister does...

Having a Registered Sex Offender as a Bishop is an affront to every Orthodox Christian. I wouldn't want any of my money paying his salary.

Are the faithful in Mexico aware of his history or do they not matter.
CCTE

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian Patriarchate

Patriarch Daniel

« Reply #246 on: May 22, 2009, 07:25:11 AM »

The Bishop is currently serving as an auxiliary bishop in the Mexican Exarchate, assigned to Puerto Rico
This scare me.
I do not want to ,,put gaz on the fire" (Romanian expression) but this is what happened in the chatolic church 2001 scandals. They moved the guilty priests from place to place, and the abuses continued....
This scare me.

Sorry if my English is not perfect
SDMPNS
High Elder

« Reply #247 on: May 22, 2009, 07:39:36 AM »

We do it too..Gabriel Barrow was moved from the Antiochians to the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese. Katsinas was moved from the Metropolis of Chicago to the Metropolis of Denver and now Bishop Demetri is the "Flying Dutchman" of the Antiochian Episcopate.
I still wonder what the faithful in Mexico know...another issue is whether or not he will even be allowed to leave Florida...dear friends..Bishop Demetri is a REGISTERED sexual offender and Florida is very strict..
An Antiochian priest told me recently that is Bishop Demetri is given an official position that a loud outcry will result..why hasn't the outcry happened now??
CCTE

Jurisdiction: Romanian Patriarchate

Patriarch Daniel

« Reply #248 on: May 22, 2009, 07:51:23 AM »

The Bishop is currently serving as an auxiliary bishop in the Mexican Exarchate, assigned to Puerto Rico
This scare me.
I do not want to ,,put gaz on the fire" (Romanian expression) but this is what happened in the chatolic church 2001 scandals. They moved the guilty priests from place to place, and the abuses continued....
This scare me.
A big And
Why we put somewane with such a past, in a Orthodox MISSIONARY diocese? There we should put the best priest / bishop from moral point of view.  What he will tell to the catholics from Puerto Rico? Or to the Orthodoxs people, recent converts or to the catechumens?

Sorry if my English is not perfect
SDMPNS
High Elder

« Reply #249 on: May 22, 2009, 08:20:56 AM »

Your English is a lot better than my Romanian!! I think it is arrogance or a lack of love..he needs a job or Metropolitan Phillip thinks he needs a job so there you have it..send him to Mexico!!
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #250 on: May 22, 2009, 10:10:28 AM »

This is a really bad situation. Do I think that he will offend again, (to be politically correct)? No. But I think what has already happened will certainly hurt the Orthodox witness. Very sad.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #251 on: May 23, 2009, 09:17:20 PM »

Well... I haven't been following this thread in detail because it had started way before yours truly became the section moderator. Yet, it was brought to my attention that some posters in this thead are not being compliant with the OC.net code of posters' behavior - specifically, they were asked some questions and they refrain from answering. So, not really being all that tremendously intetersted in the nuances of this particular case, I do very strongly suggest that all of the posters in this thread answer all of the specific questions offered to them, be it in public or in private. With my all best wishes to all of you - Heorhij, section moderator
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 09:27:59 PM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #252 on: May 24, 2009, 12:30:18 AM »

I have to weigh in by saying that a one strike and you are out rule must apply for clerics involved in sexual abuse whether it is drunken groping or premeditated seduction or outright rape. Yes the 3rd is worse than the 2nd which is worse than the 1st, but in our current cultural climate, no matter the person's talents (and their value to the Church) and their subsequent repentance, the integrity of the Church within the general culture must be maintained, especially in light of the scandals of the RCC and protestant TV evangelists and mega-church pastors. Christ's Church's reputation is at stake. Nothing less.

This has nothing to do with judging the person as an individual or standing in the place of God in terms of judgment. Why else would St. Paul have instructed Titus and Timothy on the standards for deacons, priests and bishops - so they could pass personal judgement and damn their own souls? NO! But rather that there be institutional, public standards that would keep the Church above reproach.

The pastoral reasons for such a tough standard are many as well:

Sexually abused people are vulnerable. Christ said He will not bruise the broken reed or quench the smoking flax. Who are we to reinstate a person whose reinstatement would do just that to the victims of sexual abuse? I honestly do not believe Christ would reinstate such a person precisely for the sake of bruised reeds and smoking flax individuals. Would He be able to find a productive life for the repentant offender outside of his former office - oh yes, to be sure! That is the mercy of grace - the repentant offender can be punished and still be of service to Christ in some different capacity where he will not further wound the already broken or besmirch the reputation of the Church. But that is between him and Christ.

Secondly, as a bishop this person made a vow of celibacy. Maybe we do not take breaking vows all that seriously today, but they are serious. We kiss the bishop's hand as Christ's hands and they grope a woman? Come on. How could anyone kiss that hand again and not be reminded where it was. Again, this is a matter of the public purity of the Church.

The Church must maintain its purity in the public eye. And a bishop must be held to a higher standard per the instructions to Timothy and Titus by St. Paul.

SDMPNS
High Elder

« Reply #253 on: May 24, 2009, 06:35:20 AM »

I work at a clinic which deals with sexually and physically abused children. A woman I work with who is very anti-religious found the Registered Sexual Offender listing for Bishop Dimitri. She thought it was funny that a Bishop had to register.
I tried to use the jurisdictional out " I'm not Antiochian Orthodox"" I am Greek Orthodox" but I realized that this is a scandal for all Orthodox.
It would also be hypocritical because I decry the numerous jurisdictions in America when it suits my purpose.
I also agree with the above posting about "kissing the hand of Christ".
I still wonder why Metropolitan Phillip is doing this now. I hope the moderator agrees that this is one of the questions that needs to be answered.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #254 on: May 24, 2009, 08:14:30 AM »

I have to weigh in by saying that a one strike and you are out rule must apply for clerics involved in sexual abuse whether it is drunken groping or premeditated seduction or outright rape. Yes the 3rd is worse than the 2nd which is worse than the 1st, but in our current cultural climate, no matter the person's talents (and their value to the Church) and their subsequent repentance, the integrity of the Church within the general culture must be maintained, especially in light of the scandals of the RCC and protestant TV evangelists and mega-church pastors. Christ's Church's reputation is at stake. Nothing less.

It is not that we are judging Bp Dimitri, but are protecting the Church, because the world will judge the Church, Chirst and the Gospels by him.  And as St. Paul says also, so that he may not suffer reproach and fall into the snare of the devil.  And what of those in the Church with weak consciences, or worse wounded ones by abuse, for whom Christ died?  What does St. Paul about the use of freedom?

I cannot agree with BrotherAidan's excellent post more.  It is BECAUSE we are NOT focused on Bp. Dimitri's personal status that we are opposed to his reinstatement as bishop.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #255 on: May 24, 2009, 08:17:05 AM »

Maybe they should send this bishop to a Serbian treatment center to get beaten up.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 08:21:29 AM by Tallitot » Logged

Proverbs 22:7
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #256 on: May 24, 2009, 09:51:46 AM »

Maybe they should send this bishop to a Serbian treatment center to get beaten up.
Please refrain from remarks like the one above, because we need to respect people's sensitivities. While it may feel like a funny joke to you, it may seem to be a threat and an insult to others. --Heorhij, moderator, Religious topics.

Love never fails.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #257 on: May 24, 2009, 10:13:27 AM »

As an aside, I deeply appreciate our moderator's kindness, wisdom and moderation as shown by his two gentle reminders yesterday and today. I am going to quote today's posting because it is also a window to his soul.

"Please refrain from remarks like the one above, because we need to respect people's sensitivities. While it may feel like a funny joke to you, it may seem to be a threat and an insult to others. --Heorhij, moderator, Religious topics."

God bless.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #258 on: May 24, 2009, 01:46:39 PM »

Funny Funny HA HA HA...Maybe even Russian and Ukrainian treatment center after that...
all those treatments it should eventually straiten him out..
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 02:06:14 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #259 on: May 24, 2009, 03:28:24 PM »

^see what we mean?

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #260 on: July 18, 2012, 10:12:46 AM »

What is his situation know? Is he suspended? Deposed? Where doe he serve (if anywhere)?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #261 on: July 18, 2012, 10:31:17 AM »

Bishop Demetri is retired and living in Miami, FL.  You can look him up on Facebook.  He's also got a blog: http://almoutran.blogspot.com/.

I believe he attends church but does not serve.  He does some translating and keeps to himself.  The one attempt by Patriarch Ignatius to restore him to ministry did not work out, and so he has remained in Florida.

What is his situation know? Is he suspended? Deposed? Where doe he serve (if anywhere)?

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #262 on: July 18, 2012, 10:34:11 AM »

Is he suspended, deposed or only retired?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #263 on: July 18, 2012, 11:15:25 AM »

Is he suspended, deposed or only retired?

"retired" per Fr. Giryus above.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: