OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 04:11:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: convicted felon, +Demetri Khouri has returned to the United States  (Read 21139 times) Average Rating: 0
Tamara
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« on: May 07, 2009, 09:44:30 PM »

If you go to this site you will see he lives in Miami, FL
There was a warning from the person who wrote under the name of Abdullah Khouri (Servant of God, priest)
that Metropolitan Philip would try to re-instate him as a bishop in the United States.
All the other things Abdullah wrote have come true. God forbid this last prophecy.

http://offender.fdle.state.fl.us/offender/flyer.do?personId=40249
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 10:13:26 PM »

There was a warning from the person who wrote under the name of Abdullah Khouri (Servant of God, priest)
that Metropolitan Philip would try to re-instate him as a bishop in the United States.
All the other things Abdullah wrote have come true. God forbid this last prophecy.

Looking for a tie breaker bishop to sign?  If the Metropolitan thought he had trouble before.....

Of course, this would be the dummest thing, as, as you point out, his wearabouts are monitored.  Anyone can, and I assure you many will, see if he is here or not.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 11:03:34 PM »

Looking for a tie breaker bishop to sign?  If the Metropolitan thought he had trouble before.....

Of course, this would be the dummest thing, as, as you point out, his wearabouts are monitored.  Anyone can, and I assure you many will, see if he is here or not.

Isa,

I would agree it would be the dumbest thing but demoting our diocesan bishops sure wasn't an act of genius either.
And +demetri is favored by the priests in Detroit.
Douglas
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 01:20:03 AM »

So when does a "convicted felon" become just an ordinary sinner like the rest of us? The man was drunk, he groped a woman, he was convicted and he paid the penalty. Or has he not paid a "high enough" price for some? You know... I blush to think what others might think of me if my indiscretions and my sins were made public. And I'm just bold enough to suggest that the same could be said for each and every poster on this forum. Rather than sit in judgment upon this man, why not humbly pray for him and let him be in peace?

Douglas no longer posts on the forum.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 01:24:23 AM »

Rather than sit in judgment upon this man, why not humbly pray for him and let him be in peace?
You mean behave like Christians?

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 01:53:35 AM »

So when does a "convicted felon" become just an ordinary sinner like the rest of us? The man was drunk, he groped a woman, he was convicted and he paid the penalty. Or has he not paid a "high enough" price for some? You know... I blush to think what others might think of me if my indiscretions and my sins were made public. And I'm just bold enough to suggest that the same could be said for each and every poster on this forum. Rather than sit in judgment upon this man, why not humbly pray for him and let him be in peace?

The man needs to be deposed so he can heal, not be brought back as a functioning bishop within our archdiocese.
And there are some very powerful priests in the archdiocese who want to make it happen.

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 01:57:33 AM »

The man woman needs to be deposed excommunicated so he she can heal, not be brought back as a functioning bishop gossip-monger within our her archdiocese.

According to the Canons of the Orthodox Church, you cannot be punished twice for the same offence..... but look who I'm trying to talk to about the Orthodox Church.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 02:00:01 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

Tamara
Archon

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 01:59:58 AM »

The man woman needs to be deposed excommunicated so he she can heal, not be brought back as a functioning bishop gossip-monger within our her archdiocese.

no one has said he should be excommunicated. He just needs to return to lay status so he can heal.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 02:02:37 AM by Tamara » Logged
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 02:19:54 AM »

Rather than sit in judgment upon this man, why not humbly pray for him and let him be in peace?

Sadly, Oz, they re behaving like Christians, based on my experience. Tommorow's Friday...Shabbat Shalom everybody!

Proverbs 22:7
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 02:27:13 AM »

Sadly, Oz, they re behaving like Christians, based on my experience. Tommorow's Friday...Shabbat Shalom everybody!

Smiley Good Shabbat!

ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 02:43:10 AM »

Nedostoyniy!  How do you say unworthy in Syrian?

He must not serve as a priest or auxillary bishop or the Metropolitan.

Twenty percent of American females have been sexually abused!  (Look up the reference yourself.)  Imagine their pain having a convicted sex felon
serving in church! How about a convicted sex offender being the LEADER of their diocese?

For those men who will now respond,"Oh, but he was drunk", I will pray that God never sends you wives or daughters.  

I challenge the moderator to not lock and delete this topic without  consulting female OCnet readers, his wife, mother, grandmother, matushka and GOD.

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 02:53:19 AM »

I challenge the moderator to not lock and delete this topic without  consulting female OCnet readers, his wife, mother, grandmother, matushka and GOD.

You see, this kind of hysterical dramatics is exactly why we don't delete posts. They stand as testimony to the posters.
Perhaps you would like to share with us an example of when we have deleted a topic? I'll give you a hint: never. But then, what does reality and facts have to do with anything? Roll Eyes
Good Shabbat.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 02:59:16 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 09:06:13 AM »

Kick em' while they up, kick em' while they down
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 09:44:32 AM »

Give it a rest.  No one took up positions in the judgement seat:

Isa,

I would agree it would be the dumbest thing but demoting our diocesan bishops sure wasn't an act of genius either.
And +demetri is favored by the priests in Detroit.

What was pointed out was the continous mechinations in the Antiochian Archdiocese.  How beholdin' do you think Bp. Demitri would be to the Metropolitan and the powers that be if they brought him back?

So the Metropolitan found out that he needed fresh ink for the rubber stamp synod.  Is Bp. Demitri the refresher? 

That question has nothing to do with the best course for Bp. Demitri's personal salvation/problems/redemption...whatever.  And it requires no judgment of him personally.  Just the intelligence and honesty to state that piling one controversial issue over another, as bringing a convicted bishop back (when it was made quite clear he could not) into the midst of an ongoing canonical crisis, isn't going to solve either issue, but exaserbate both.

According to the Canons of the Orthodox Church, you cannot be punished twice for the same offence..... but look who I'm trying to talk to about the Orthodox Church.

someone who isn't cowed?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 09:46:13 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 09:51:07 AM »

no one has said he should be excommunicated. He just needs to return to lay status so he can heal.

I totally agree Tamara. It would be absurd to make him a bishop again. This isn't about not judging others and focusing on your own sins. Bishops must be moral men. The Bible even talks about the character men must have to be qualified to be bishops. We cannot have convicted sex offenders as clergy. Imagine the women who have been sexually harassed being in his dioceses...it is unthinkable.

If +PHILIP installs this man as a bishop again, I think you are going to see outrage amongst the laity. This could be the straw that breaks the camels back. 

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 09:52:53 AM »

That question has nothing to do with the best course for Bp. Demitri's personal salvation/problems/redemption...whatever.  And it requires no judgment of him personally.  Just the intelligence and honesty to state that piling one controversial issue over another, as bringing a convicted bishop back (when it was made quite clear he could not) into the midst of an ongoing canonical crisis, isn't going to solve either issue, but exaserbate both.
I would have to agree. We have already been jerked around with this auxillary fiasco, and then bring back a bishop that was laisized(sp) for sexual indiscretion, just seems like the last thing the Archdiocese needs right now.
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 09:53:42 AM »

If +PHILIP installs this man as a bishop again, I think you are going to see outrage amongst the laity. This could be the straw that breaks the camels back.
I hope you are not right, but I think you are...unfortunately.
Esteban

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 11:32:04 AM »

. . . and then bring back a bishop that was lai[c]ized for sexual indiscretion . . .

Bishop Demetri was not deposed, but only suspended. It seems, further, that his suspension has been lifted.

As I recall, no canonical court was ever convened to try his case; perhaps it was feared by some that this would inevitably lead to his deposition, which would have been much more difficult to undo than a simple suspension.

"This life has been given to you for repentance. Do not waste it in vain pursuits."

--St Isaac the Syrian
ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 12:06:52 PM »

Does anyone check the criminal history of individuals applying for to be moderators on this forum? 
Sign of a spiritually sick moderator:
Altered quote from OZGeorge-
"The woman needs to be excommunicated so she can heal, not be brought back as a functioning gossip-monger within her archdiocese".

Only a very spiritually sick man would believe that women, who are concerned about convicted sexual criminals, should be silenced.

Sex offenders must never be placed in positions of authority.

Lord have mercy on OzGeorge.

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 12:12:50 PM »

Does anyone check the criminal history of individuals applying for to be moderators on this forum? 
Sign of a spiritually sick moderator:
Altered quote from OZGeorge-
"The woman needs to be excommunicated so she can heal, not be brought back as a functioning gossip-monger within her archdiocese".

Only a very spiritually sick man would believe that women, who are concerned about convicted sexual criminals, should be silenced.

Lord have mercy on OzGeorge.

I entirely agree. 

This really has nothing to do with "judging" the person in question - rather it is not appropriate for someone like that to be in a pastoral role.  The complacency about this by some really betrays quite a bit of misogyny. 
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2009, 01:13:45 PM »

Could not agree more.  Such a person may well be a Christian, since there is forgiveness.  But a Bishop?  Not as I understand things.  I must agree with Tamara on this one.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
SDMPNS
High Elder

Jurisdiction: raised in Metropolia which became the OCA now I belong to a GOA parish..

Praise God for the beauty of Creation

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2009, 01:30:34 PM »

Where will he serve? Is he an auxillary Bishop.?.he is a registered sex offender.Florida is very strict...
Wht does Bishop Antoun think of this?
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2009, 01:37:25 PM »

Well, Bishop's can't be wed. And given what he was in trouble for I would say the man has a sexual desire he can't control so being celibate is not a good option for him. So he should just find a woman that he can love, and she will love him and get married. That would be my argument for him not coming back as Bishop.
SDMPNS
High Elder

Jurisdiction: raised in Metropolia which became the OCA now I belong to a GOA parish..

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2009, 01:46:33 PM »

or..he could just hide the woman and still be a Bishop..has that ever happened before? We cannot/should not post rumors but wasn't this once an issue in the OCA? I am asking  a question not spreading rumors but I remember being told about this once...I think it was in the Eastern part of the USA.
If this is offensive or against forum rules please forgive me...
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2009, 02:00:17 PM »

or..he could just hide the woman and still be a Bishop..has that ever happened before? We cannot/should not post rumors but wasn't this once an issue in the OCA? I am asking  a question not spreading rumors but I remember being told about this once...I think it was in the Eastern part of the USA.
If this is offensive or against forum rules please forgive me...

I think you are refering to Aftimos Ofiesh, the successor to Bp. St. Raphael Hawaweeny.  He married, but that was in the open: he claimed that he was restoring the married episcopate.  The synod disagreed, and deposed him.

recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2009, 02:01:08 PM »

So laity have no right to expect accountability from the clergy? The spin game is to say concerns are judgemental and perhaps more hair trigger than shortcomings that may be expressed in otherwise legitimate concerns.

Antiochian OC N.A.
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2009, 02:18:04 PM »

So laity have no right to expect accountability from the clergy? The spin game is to say concerns are judgemental and perhaps more hair trigger than shortcomings that may be expressed in otherwise legitimate concerns.
Exactly. He has no place being a Bishop. Is he holier than I could ever hope to be? Yes. But he shouldn't be a Bishop. Sorry, but I think that I am in the right here.
ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2009, 02:55:17 PM »

Altered quote from OZGeorge

This really has nothing to do with "judging" the person in question - rather it is not appropriate for someone like that to be in a pastoral role.  The complacency about this by some really betrays quite a bit of misogyny. 
[/quote]

Immediately after Tamara's post, ozgeorge posted a new topic called "Spreading Lies at the Speed of Light". Clearly he is beyond "a bit of misogyny".   
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2009, 02:58:29 PM »

Do you have anything better to do? I can pretty much predict how your online career will go here:
1) Abuse moderators more.
2) Abuse moderators more.
3) Then put on post moderation
4a) Become furious that you are stifled and leave the forum/
4b) Become furious that you are stifled, causing you to abuse the moderators even more, and then get banned.

I will await my predictions to materialize. Call me Nicholasdamus.
I still await my predictions to materialize...
SbdcnDavid

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2009, 03:20:07 PM »

The problem here is not with +Demetri, who like all of us is a sinner, and like all of us needs to spend his life in peace (if God grants it) and repentance--I am fond of point out that pride, self-esteem, wrath and sloth surely fetter more souls in Hades than do the sins of the flesh.

The problem is with Metropolitan Philip, who hampered the course laid out for the repentance of bishops who fall into grevious sins, by not setting +Demetri on proper path by deposing him.  The reason the felony conviction and sex offender registry status are relevant is that they create scandal.  And the only reason Tamara is bringing the matter up at all is the pseudonymous prophecies of Abdullah Khouri, all of which have come true except the last, that Metropolitan Philip would try to reinstate +Demetri in active ministry.

We all wish that +Demetri would be left in peace to repent, and that is one reason among many why we wish that he had been deposed, and one reason among many why we do not wish him to be reinstated as an active auxiliary or diocesan bishop.
MLPB

« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2009, 03:32:36 PM »

I believe it was Gandhi who said something to the effect that he would've become a Christian but for the fact that he knew too many!
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2009, 03:35:20 PM »

Immediately after Tamara's post, ozgeorge posted a new topic called "Spreading Lies at the Speed of Light". Clearly he is beyond "a bit of misogyny".   

No, he didn't.  He did so nearly a full day prior to Tamara's post and I've addressed your false accusation in greater detail there.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2009, 03:52:31 PM »

No, he didn't.  He did so nearly a full day prior to Tamara's post and I've addressed your false accusation in greater detail there.

I beg forgiveness.  ozgeorge wrote this topic before he Tamara's post.   
Hadel
IN CHRIST
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Jerusalem

Jesus Christ Our Lord, King of Kings

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2009, 03:53:44 PM »

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2009, 03:56:25 PM »

I'm sorry but who is that Bishop, where is he from and what wrong has he done?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 03:56:36 PM by mike » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2009, 04:30:32 PM »

It's an American Orthodox custom. 
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2009, 04:34:49 PM »

It's an American Orthodox custom. 

I really appreciate your sense of humor and willingness to help but I think It's not the answer I'm looking for Tongue

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2009, 07:00:20 PM »

. . . and then bring back a bishop that was lai[c]ized for sexual indiscretion . . .

Bishop Demetri was not deposed, but only suspended. It seems, further, that his suspension has been lifted.

As I recall, no canonical court was ever convened to try his case; perhaps it was feared by some that this would inevitably lead to his deposition, which would have been much more difficult to undo than a simple suspension.

Yes, no spiritual court was convened because he would have been deposed.
SDMPNS
High Elder

« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2009, 07:16:51 PM »

He is living in some pretty nice digs but it appears to not be connected with a
Church..he probably can't because of the issue of churches having sunday schools
and he cannot live within a certain number of feet from a school or park as a
registered sex offender.
What is he going to do?
I cannot believe Met.Phillip did this with the issues happening in the
Antiochian Archdiocese right now.I cannot feel that this is very arrogant...people are going to be upset. I agree that he needs to repent and I,personally am a worse sinner than anyone but there are legal and logistical issues involved. Florida does not deal kindly with people who do not abide by the restrictions put upon REGISTERED {Emphasis mine} Sexual Offenders.
It is funny how life changes...a couple of years ago I didn;t think the OCA was
going to survive and now look at the Antiochian Archdiocese of America.
Stephen Montgomery

Tamara
Archon

« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2009, 07:28:17 PM »

Don't worry Ms. Hoorah,

It will take a lot to silence me. And I agree, convicted sex offenders cannot be placed in positions of authority.

Allah Maa'ak (God be with you!), Tamara  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 07:33:27 PM by Tamara » Logged
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2009, 07:35:57 PM »

Now what have I told you before on this thread about hysterical dramatics?
See the troubles they get you in?
And the misinformation that is spread as a result?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 07:38:33 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

Tamara
Archon

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2009, 07:38:20 PM »

Who moderates Christian News?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 07:38:36 PM by Tamara » Logged
SDMPNS
High Elder

« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2009, 07:39:33 PM »

I certainly agree that Sexual Offenders and especially REGISTERED Sexual Offenders should not be placed in positions of authority but what if Metropolitan Phillip tries something ?
He appears to be relatively arrogant and not a good listener.
Has Bishop Antoun said something about this.This is in his Diocese..Oops wait! He is an Auxillary Bishop now.he also lives in Englewood,NJ even though he is the Auxillary Bishop of Miami.
Stephen
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2009, 07:41:06 PM »

Who moderates Christian News?

Yes. I would like to report a slanderous lie made about me on this thread.

SDMPNS
High Elder

« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2009, 07:41:52 PM »

I am sorry..I cannot use the "quote " feature ..too much college....

I certainly agree that Sexual Offenders and especially REGISTERED Sexual Offenders should not be placed in positions of authority but what if Metropolitan Phillip tries something ?
He appears to be relatively arrogant and not a good listener.
Has Bishop Antoun said something about this.This is in his Diocese..Oops wait! He is an Auxillary Bishop now.he also lives in Englewood,NJ even though he is the Auxillary Bishop of Miami.
Stephen
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: