OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 03:55:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pan-Orthodox annual feasts in the US  (Read 1773 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: May 07, 2009, 11:48:00 AM »

Are there any annual feasts which gather faithful and clergy from different jurisdictions apart from Sunday of Orthodoxy in your country? Such feasts which are attended by thousands of believers and are considered biggest EO events in your country.

Maybe feasts of Americans Saints (the day of St. Tikhon, St. Raphael, St. Alexis- it's today by Julian Smiley, St. Herman or any other Saint)? It could also be a day of some Icon of Theothokos which you do have in your country (Icon form Kursk or any other?).

In Poland the most attended Orthodox feast is Transfiguration in Grabarka. There is a female Monastery and the place is connected to an ancient Icon-Mandylion. According to the legend the spring which is there has miraculous water which in XVIIIth century cured people suffering from cholera. Approximately a dozen of thousand of people gather there on the feast. It is also often attended by hierarchs from other Orthodox jurisdictions.

I've been wondering whether you have something similar.

I know it's annoying to answer all my questions 'bout Orthodoxy in your country but I can't stop asking them, sorry Smiley
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 11:51:36 AM by mike » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 12:06:20 PM »

I think that it's a little bit of a unique thing here in the US.  For example, there are definitely feast days in the Serbian church (i.e. St. Sava) where other orthodox churches will show up and celebrate with us.  Also, there are many times events that are proclaimed to be pan-orthodox and many jurisdictions will come, but they are NOT on an annual basis. 

the one thing for sure that IS pan-orthodox are the pan-orthodox lenten vespers that are done on sunday nights during lent.  they are always done in a different church in a particular area, and all of the other churches will shut down for that service and go to the one church.  that happens every year. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 12:45:23 PM »

The Super Bowl.
shep4569

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 06:51:47 PM »

I don't think there's anything like that. Perhaps some parishes celebrate the Synaxis of the NA Saints together, but I've never attended or heard of anything like that. I know the metropolitan usually makes a visit to Dormition Monastery in MI for the feast of Dormition and a lot of people come, but that's all I know of.

In Christ,
Logan

"The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord." - Job 1:21
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 11:19:18 PM »

I believe there's the annual St. Herman's Pilgrimage at Spruce Island, Alaska, to commemorate his glorification in 1970.  I'm not sure how pan-Orthodox that is, but I have heard rumor that a lot of Orthodox make that annual event.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 04:13:47 AM »

Are there any foot pilgrimages held in your country?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 04:17:13 AM by mike » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 04:18:12 AM »

In Atlanta, GA, in addition to having pan-Orthodox Vespers on the Sunday of Orthodoxy, pan-Orthodox Vespers were celebrated every weekend of Lent. A different parish from a different jurisdiction would host, and an agape meal would follow.

While I’m not sure how pan-Orthodox it is, I know every year on Memorial Day weekend (celebrated the last Monday of May), there is a large pilgrimage to St. Tikhon’s Seminary in Pennsylvania which many Orthodox attend. Although St. Tikhon’s is an OCA seminary, Orthodox Christians from all jurisdictions have been known to attend the festivities.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 05:33:45 AM »

there is on Spruce Island for ST. HERMAN, but i'm not sure how "pan-orthodox" it is. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 09:32:58 AM »

there is on Spruce Island for ST. HERMAN, but i'm not sure how "pan-orthodox" it is. 

I've known a number of Russian, Greeks, Arabs besides OCA who have gone.

Yes, I know a lot of people from different jurisdictions go to St. Tikhon's.  How much said different jurisdictions coordinate that is a different story. Sad

Which brings up what I think goes to the heart of what the OP is asking. The problem in North America is that a lot of people identify which the saints and festivals in the "old country," not here.  I remember the (Antiochian) priest who baptized my son being perplexed that the OCA was thinking of canonizing St. Raphael (this was before he was glorified by any jurisdiction).  "How can they do that when he's one of ours?"  St. Raphael, none the less is popular (as is St. Herman) across jurisdictions, just like St. John Maximovich: many people of different  backgrounds go to his VERY (ochen') Russian shrine.  I think it is those saints that are going to forge unity on this continent.  Ditto shrines (in Chicago we have two weeping and myrh bearing icons, one at an Albanian church, another at an Arab.  They attract people of all backgrounds (even Muslim and JW! Shocked).

Another issue you have here but not in Poland (but you do in Russia and perhaps Ukraine) is distance.  You can drive for days and still be in the U.S./Canada.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 09:34:47 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 03:11:52 PM »

Another issue you have here but not in Poland (but you do in Russia and perhaps Ukraine) is distance.  You can drive for days and still be in the U.S./Canada.

I'm aware that foot pilgrimages from East Coast to some Monastery near Los Angeles aren't possible Smiley

But imagine such a situation:
There is a Bulgarian monastery with myrrh bearing icon of St. Clemens of Ochrid somewhere in the Arizona. It's about 90 miles from Phoenix. A fortnight before the day of St. Sava from the Church in Phoenix which is in the suburbs in the direction to the Monastery (let say it's an Antiochian parish) about 100 people set off into the pilgrimage. En route they spend nights in EO and non-EO friendly families' places. In the Monastery they could sleep in tents, that does not matter. The governor of Arizona had ordered the Police to make the pilgrimage safe. Policemen direct the traffic so that the pilgrims are safe.

On the vigil of the feast (26th of June) they reach the Monastery as well as about a dozen of smaller groups. There also went by coaches cars and trains. They pray on the All Night Vigil. The main Liturgy is served by Met. Joseph as well as two more US jurisdictions Primates (let say Met. Jonah and Met. Nicholas). There are also bishops from GOA, UOC-USA, ROCOR and ROMA. Serbian Church, Church of Jerusalem and MP are represented by Parish Priests of closest Parishes.

Imagine there are similar feasts in different parts of the year and country regions in other jurisdictions as "popular" (don't know a better word) as that.

Do you get what I mean? Maybe I'm not understandable enough. I know my English isn't very good.

Please do not post something like:
There aren't any Bulgarian Monasteries in Arizona... or Antiochian Parishes are usually located in the downtown. Smiley

Maybe it's a good idea to start such an event for any young-adults Orthodox organisation?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 03:24:03 PM by mike » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 03:21:07 PM »

I'm aware that foot pilgrimages from East Coast to some Monastery near Los Angeles aren't possible Smiley

There is a Bulgarian monastery with myrrh bearing icon of St. Clemens of Ochrid somewhere in the Arizona. It's about 90 miles from Phoenix. A fortnight before the day of St. Sava from the Church in Phoenix which is on the suburbs in the direction to the Monastery (let say it's an Antiochian parish) about 100 people set off into the pilgrimage. En route they spend nights in EO and non-EO friendly families' places. In the Monastery they could sleep in tents, that does not matter. The governor of Arizona ordered the Police to make the pilgrimage safe. Policemen direct the traffic so that the pilgrims are safe.

On the vigil of the feast (26th of June) they reach the Monastery as well as about a dozen of smaller groups. There also went by coaches cars and trains. They pray on the All Night Vigil. The main Liturgy is served by Met. Joseph as well as two more US jurisdictions Primates (let say Met. Jonah and Met. Nicholas). There are also bishops from GOA, UOC-USA, ROCOR and ROMA. Serbian Church, Church of Jerusalem and MP are represented by Parish Priests of closest Parishes.

Imagine there are similar feasts in different parts of the year and country regions in other jurisdictions as "popular" (don't know a better word) as that.

Do you get what I mean? Maybe I'm not understandable enough.

There aren't any Bulgarian Monasteries in Arizona... or Antiochian Parishes are usually located in the downtown. Smiley

Mike,

While what you are suggesting is beautiful, I know of no events like that in the U.S. I don’t know why, but there just aren’t any. Perhaps it’s because Orthodoxy is still “new” in the U.S., or maybe Americans are just lazy when it comes to that sort of thing.

One thing that comes to mind is that Orthodox Americans may have shied away from such a thing so that they wouldn’t appear any more “different” to Americans than they already were.

Years ago Russians were held under suspicion for being Communists, and Greeks and Arabs were attacked by the KKK. Several members of the local Antiochian parish in Atlanta went all the way to the Supreme Court for the right to own land, because they had to prove they were Arab and not “Negros.” (Thankfully times have changed!)

Prayerfully, Orthodox pilgramiges will become more popular, and so will Orthodoxy.

In XC,
Maureen

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 03:43:36 PM »

There is a Bulgarian monastery with myrrh bearing icon of St. Clemens of Ochrid somewhere in the Arizona. It's about 90 miles from Phoenix. A fortnight before the day of St. Sava from the Church in Phoenix which is in the suburbs in the direction to the Monastery (let say it's an Antiochian parish) about 100 people set off into the pilgrimage. En route they spend nights in EO and non-EO friendly families' places. In the Monastery they could sleep in tents, that does not matter. The governor of Arizona had ordered the Police to make the pilgrimage safe. Policemen direct the traffic so that the pilgrims are safe.

Do you get what I mean? Maybe I'm not understandable enough. I know my English isn't very good.

No, but I had to laugh: my ex wife was from Romania, and since you don't have desert in Europe to speak of (I am just recently aware that you have any at all, including the  Błędów desert), I am not sure if you know what Arizona is like.  She didn't. Traffic isn't the problem.  I'd worry more about snakes and scorpians and such.

There are some monestaries there though. There's a thread here somewhere about people going there than to regular parishes.

The usual problem would be to get jurisdictions to know what other jurisdictions are doing. And yes, it's a good idea. I went on several pilgramages when I was in the Middle East.

Maybe it's a good idea to start such an event for any young-adults Orthodox organisation?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 03:47:35 PM »

No, but I had to laugh: my ex wife was from Romania, and since you don't have desert in Europe to speak of (I am just recently aware that you have any at all, including the  Błędów desert), I am not sure if you know what Arizona is like.  She didn't. Traffic isn't the problem.  I'd worry more about snakes and scorpians and such.

Cheesy I've never been good at Geography. You know better what places would be better and less dangerous destination points. it was only an exemplary idea.

The usual problem would be to get jurisdictions to know what other jurisdictions are doing.

As I could realise it's the biggest problem in your country. But such a thing should not be organised by jurisdictions but by ordinary people. Bishops would only have to bless the idea Wink
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 03:54:15 PM by mike » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
zebu
Mot à ta mère!
Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

aimovoroi tourkoi!

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 11:42:11 PM »

St John of San Francisco's feast day on the Saturday after 2 July is a pretty big deal. People from all jurisdictions from all over come to Holy Virgin Cathedral, where his relics are, and it's absolutely packed! It's almost like it is Pascha or something, it is just so full of people. 

Also, many monasteries do host annual pilgrimages to which many people come, and often do camp out in tents! They don't walk there though.

Жизнь прожить не поле перейти
mersch

Faith: converting to orthodoxy, seems to be on hold

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 02:58:35 PM »

Do you know the name of the churches in Chicago, that have the weeping icons? Have not heard of this in the US, thanks.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 03:08:45 PM »

Do you know the name of the churches in Chicago, that have the weeping icons? Have not heard of this in the US, thanks.

St. Nicholas Albanian Orthodox Church (EP)
http://stnicholasalbanianchicago.org/blessedvirgin.html

St. George Antiochian Arab Orthodox Church
http://www.stgeorgecicero.org/home.aspx

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 04:27:20 PM »

Here in Omaha, this past Lent, we started doing pan-Orthodox Pre-Sacntified Liturgies.  I don't know if any more will come, but I hope so.  Generally, all the other Orthodox jurisidctions are invited to a particular church for Liturgy if it happens to be their patronal feast day or if a  hierarch is visiting.   Not much beyond that though.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Tags: pilgrimage 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: