OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 17, 2014, 07:13:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gebre Menfes Kidus  (Read 10251 times) Average Rating: 0
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2010, 01:27:23 AM »

I'm assuming it's a figure of speech.   Smiley

Well then, isn't there some truth then to the contention that some of it is fantastical and not 100% literally true?

Can we literally see God when Christ taught, "Blessed are the pure in heart"?

Have not you and I been the two major proponents of the acceptance of Palamism on this forum? You should know the answer to that.  Wink

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2010, 01:27:23 AM »

Well then, isn't there some truth then to the contention that some of it is fantastical and not 100% literally true?

Yes.

But not His Essence as the heretic Thomas Aquinas taught.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2010, 01:27:23 AM »

I'm thinking of the divinity, but okay, yes, we can see God the Logos incarnate.

Energies!

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2010, 01:27:23 AM »

@deusveritasest
Pls dont make 'irresponsible' comments for things you dont know very well. I am afraid, you are trying to define religion by scientific calculation, which is not possible!

What in the blazes are you talking about?

hailemaryam

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian

« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2010, 08:00:23 AM »

Due to Geopolitical reasons, ethiopian and coptic monks share many qualities, may be not common for the rest Christendom.
/Of course the monasticism and solitary life started in Egypt by St. Antony and St. Paul - both of these are very loved in ethiopia. /
Hermits do exist even now, some of them dont see any face of mankind for rest of their lifetime.
Please read in this book, the life of Abba Marcos El-Termaki the Hermit, page 113

http://st-anthony.co.uk/media/The_Hermit_Fathers.pdf

It may help you to have the an idea about the Hermit fathers.

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2010, 09:58:15 AM »

Why can't we see His essence? As a fairly new convert I don't know much about these issues so I'm honestly curious.

jah777
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2010, 11:28:14 AM »

This may be considered a new topic, but the icon on the wiki page shows Gebre holding what appears to be a prayer rope.  Could someone please explain how the prayer rope is used by the Ethiopian Orthodox or the Copts and how the rope and its use may differ from what is commonly found in the Orthodox Church (Chalcedonian)?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gebre_Manfas_Qeddus
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2010, 11:44:36 AM »

This may be considered a new topic, but the icon on the wiki page shows Gebre holding what appears to be a prayer rope.  Could someone please explain how the prayer rope is used by the Ethiopian Orthodox or the Copts and how the rope and its use may differ from what is commonly found in the Orthodox Church (Chalcedonian)?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gebre_Manfas_Qeddus

You can read about it here:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,4892.0.html
Reply #13 and following.

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
jah777
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2010, 12:42:43 PM »

Quote from: Gebre Menfes Kidus

You can read about it here:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,4892.0.html
Reply #13 and following.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 12:43:20 PM by jah777 » Logged
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2010, 12:49:33 PM »

Have not you and I been the two major proponents of the acceptance of Palamism on this forum? You should know the answer to that.  Wink

Then you can understand it's not that far of a stretch to say that a saint was "kissed by the Trinity."  Wink

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2010, 01:29:19 AM »

Why can't we see His essence? As a fairly new convert I don't know much about these issues so I'm honestly curious.

Because it's infinite and thus totally transcendent.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2010, 01:29:20 AM »

Then you can understand it's not that far of a stretch to say that a saint was "kissed by the Trinity."  Wink

I don't think that they are as comparable as you are thinking. It would have to be highly poetic language. All along I have been arguing that it cannot be literally true. Kissing is an anthropomorphic idea which is linked to the physical reality of lips. The Trinity does not literally have lips in any way (Essence or Energies) and therefore cannot literally kiss anyone in any way (Essence or Energies). For sure the Logos could because He became human. But the idea of the Trinity as a whole kissing anyone would have to be highly metaphorical.

Hiywot

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahido

« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2010, 08:27:46 AM »

It is true that nobody can approach or see God in His full essence. BUT whenever God wants to reveal Himself to or communicate with His saints He does it in a form which is permissible and is comprehensible to their level. This is why Jacob said “I saw God face to face” after fighting with God. This is how the patriarchs and prophets saw and met Him. And, of course, this is what He did with our holy father, Saint Gebre-Menfes-Qidus. If you examine Ethiopian hagiography, you will find even more astounding events in the lives of our saints which we never qualm about. For us, the miracles that we witness in many of our monasteries, now, in our age, are reassurances of the reality of the happenings recorded in the lives of the saints. The argument reminds me what one monk once told me: “The foolishness of faith that I have brings me more spiritual growth than the theological knowledge that I have”.

Hiywot
Hiywot

« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2010, 08:41:49 AM »

Following is the correct list of the 10 ranks of holiness (spiritual perfection) mentioned by Haile-Mariam, reply No. 22 above.

The Ten Ranks

The three categories of the ten ranks

I.   Nits’ha siga (Purity of flesh/body)
II.   Nits’ha nefs (Purity of soul)
III.   Nits’ha libona (Purity of heart/mind)

I. Nits’ha siga (Purity of flesh/body)

1. Tsimawe (Stillness): loves silence, calmness, loneliness, simplicity and humility
2. Libawe (Discernment): enlightened with knowledge and understanding of mysteries
3. Ta’ime zimare (Essence of chant): loves singing, reading, and unceasing prayer

II. Nits’ha nefs (Purity of soul)

4. Anb’e (Tears): weeps with easy flowing tears
5. Kune’ne (Subjugation): body totally submits to soul and maintains this
6. Fiqir (Love): loves everyone and every creature invariably
7. Huset (Instant movement): gets anywhere instantly

III. Nits’ha libona (Purity of heart/mind)

8. Nitsa’re mela’ikt (Seeing angels): sees and hears angels and sees the works of the world above
9. Tesetmo (Sinking in light): clothed with light and with highest heavenly mysteries
10. Kewine issat (Fire): clothed with fire, sees the Holy Trinity with the eyes of the heart

Hiywot
hailemaryam

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian

« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2010, 11:20:13 AM »

@ Hiywot,
Thanks very much for the details. I was not able to remember them all, I am in the wilderness, in a place where spirituality is the most detested stuff.
No books, no priests.....babylon.
Your prayers for me.
Hiywot

« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2010, 11:45:04 AM »

@ Hiywot,
Thanks very much for the details. I was not able to remember them all, I am in the wilderness, in a place where spirituality is the most detested stuff.
No books, no priests.....babylon.
Your prayers for me.

Hailemariam

Thank you my brother. Please do not worry about the wilderness because what matters most is where your heart/mind is located.

Hiywot
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2010, 04:42:37 PM »

"...reminds me what one monk once told me: “The foolishness of faith that I have brings me more spiritual growth than the theological knowledge that I have”.

Hiywot

I love that!

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
Tags: saints Oriental Orthodox saints Ethiopian Orthodox Church Gebre Menfes Kidus 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: