OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 05:48:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is The Orthodox Church Roman?  (Read 22414 times) Average Rating: 0
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« on: May 06, 2009, 08:58:27 PM »

Topic split from this thread:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,20839.0.html
ozgeorge

even though some of us supposed barbarians are actually roum decedents. 

You can't have it both ways. Smiley
Either you are roum, or that term is meaningless.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 01:13:00 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Tamara
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 09:06:08 PM »

George,

I have a Greek-American friend who jokingly calls me a Byzantine bigot because I love all things Byzantine (chant, church architecture, iconography, mosaics, jewelry work etc.) so I believe in my DNA, roams eastern Roman genes!  Cheesy Wink

ps. wish I could have been there when they found these lovely earrings in Israel in the ruins of Byzantine home.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 09:18:04 PM by Tamara » Logged
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 09:17:58 PM »

I have a Greek-American friend who jokingly calls me a Byzantine bigot because I love all things Byzantine (chant, church architecture, iconography, etc.) so I believe in my DNA, roams eastern Roman genes! 

I think that's where you are mistaken. "Roum" is not a genetic term. One is not automatically "born" a Roum. One is Baptized a Roum. An apostate from Orthodoxy in Damascus is no longer a Roum.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 09:22:10 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 11:11:22 PM »

Well, actually you can.  I'm ruumiy when I'm with anyone but the Greeks.  Then I'm not ruumiy (by their definition).
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 11:11:39 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 12:00:50 AM »

I have a Greek-American friend who jokingly calls me a Byzantine bigot because I love all things Byzantine (chant, church architecture, iconography, etc.) so I believe in my DNA, roams eastern Roman genes! 

I think that's where you are mistaken. "Roum" is not a genetic term. One is not automatically "born" a Roum. One is Baptized a Roum. An apostate from Orthodoxy in Damascus is no longer a Roum.

okay, I was baptized...did I make the cut? Grin

ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 12:04:07 AM »

LOL. Another difference.  Those Greek ruumiy don't cut; us Arab ruumiy do.  After all, we are Abraham and Ishmael's sons.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 12:14:28 AM »

Indeed you do! But only if you remain Faithful to Christ.

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 12:16:36 AM »

LOL. Another difference.  Those Greek ruumiy don't cut; us Arab ruumiy do.  After all, we are Abraham and Ishmael's sons.

See, as long as you keep thinking that being Roum is genetically inherited, you understand neither Christianity nor what being a Roman is.

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 12:25:14 AM »

See, as long as you keep thinking that being Roum is genetically inherited, you understand neither Christianity nor what being a Roman is.

Christ wasn't a Roman.

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 12:28:02 AM »

Christ wasn't a Roman.

Well duh.

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 12:30:29 AM »

Christ wasn't a Roman.

Well duh.

Well then, don't mix your ethnicity/nationalism with your religion.

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 12:31:55 AM »

Christ wasn't a Roman.

Well duh.

Huh
Roman is not an ethnicity, any more than New Yorker is.
Failed again.

Tamara
Archon

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 12:51:00 AM »

Christ wasn't a Roman.

Well duh.

Huh
Failed again.

Well then, how do you define it?
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 12:59:44 AM »

The Romanian Church is.

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 01:01:24 AM »

Christ wasn't a Roman.

Well duh.

Huh
Failed again.

Yes, we all know that Hellenism transcends nationalism.  The Chief Secretary of the EP told us so:
To this effect, the active participation of the lay element was, as we have seen, very important. We believe that the younger generations of the omogeneia are free of the past’s prejudices and complexes, according to which, if you wish to succeed in America you have to forget your cultural patrimony and your language in order to be left naked, so to speak, in the thorny desert of the Wild West. Today’s omogeneia has overcome that denial and has come to understand that the secret of the American civilization’s success does not lie in the obliteration of one’s cultural background...Our cultural heritage and our national conscience is not, by any means, an obstacle for our progress and for the successful witness to our faith, especially insofar as ecumenicity (οἰκουμενικότης) is the heart of Hellenism and by definition alien to any form of nationalism or cultural chauvinism...Examining, then, ourselves, I believe that we ought to be more careful towards the easiness with which we are ready to abandon our Hellenism, both as language and as tradition. As we have already said, it is nothing but a myth the opinion that Hellenism is an obstacle to the creative and successful incorporation in the American reality. Hellenism is identified with its ecumenical character and for that reason it can never be nationalistic for both of its manifestations, its culture and its Orthodox faith are concepts that transcend the boundaries of the national....At no point, the spirit of nationalism took hold of the Ecumenical Patriarchate because that is incompatible with the concepts of Hellenism and Ecumenicity (ecumenical character) as well as with the Christian Orthodox faith. The proof of this emerges in the most decisive manner throughout the 17 centuries of its history, during which it never Hellenized, not even attempted to Hellenize the nations to which it gave through its apostolic missions the undying light of Christ....That truth is testified by the fact that, although the Patriarchates of the East were virtually destroyed during the difficult times of the 17th and 18th centuries, nevertheless, the Patriarchate of Constantinople was taking the care to have a Patriarch elected for those Patriarchates, supporting their primates in every possible way....

Blah, blah, blah...

When one speaks Ρωμαίικα, he's not speaking Arabic.  Or Latin.  He's speaking Greek.

Its a ethnicity.  Which is the reason why the Romanians (or maybe that's not a ethiciy either) didn't rush to join Ypsilanti when started the War of Independence for Greece...in Romania.  Why the Greeks fought hard to keep an Arab to regain the throne of Antioch, and won't let one regain Jerusalem's.  In the latter instance, it is particularly egrecious, as the ruum are actually "yuunaan" who just came to carpet bag in the Holy Land.  Why the Phanar suppressed the Patriarchates of the Serbs and of the Bulgarians.

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 01:04:54 AM »

The way St. Constantine the Great who gave us the title defined it when he granted it to all his Christian subjects.
But I guess if we have to keep the "United American Orthodox Church" happy a la Tamara and ialmisry style- (the Great Defenders of the Orthodox Church on OCnet who valiantly shout down any opposing view to the TruthTM) then the Orthodox Church will have to admit that the title "Roman" was not granted to us, but only to the Roman Catholic Church and your ancestors in the faith were lying phonies to call themselves such.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 01:07:11 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

Tamara
Archon

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 01:11:40 AM »

The way St. Constantine the Great who gave us the title defined it when he granted it to all his Christian subjects.
But I guess if we have to keep the "United American Orthodox Church" happy a la Tamara and ialmisry style- (the Great Defenders of the Orthodox Church on OCnet who valiantly shout down any opposing view to the TruthTM) then the Orthodox Church will have to admit that the title "Roman" was not granted to us, but only to the Roman Catholic Church and your ancestors in the faith were lying phonies to call themselves such.

How did St. Constantine define it? I would title the church the Orthodox Church of North America. It would need to be a church for the whole North American continent (Canada, U.S., and Mexico).

Come on George, I don't shout down anyone. I was trying to throw a little levity with a bit of truth in that other thread on "who was here first." Where is your Aussie sense of humor?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 01:15:19 AM by Tamara » Logged
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2009, 01:17:53 AM »

How did St. Constantine define it?
See above (that thing you quoted).

I would title the church the Orthodox Church of North America. It would need to be a church for the whole North American continent (Canada, U.S., and Mexico).
That's nice. But what has that got to do with the fact that you and ialmisry hold that the Roman Catholics are the only true heirs and continuation of the Church of the Ecumenical Councils?

Tamara
Archon

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2009, 01:24:45 AM »

How did St. Constantine define it?
See above (that thing you quoted).

How does being a Roman Orthodox Christian make you different than any other type of Orthodox Christian who is not Roman? Does it really make a difference in regard to our salvation?

I would title the church the Orthodox Church of North America. It would need to be a church for the whole North American continent (Canada, U.S., and Mexico).
That's nice. But what has that got to do with the fact that you and ialmisry hold that the Roman Catholics are the only true heirs and continuation of the Church of the Ecumenical Councils?

How do you figure that last question/statement? Please explain yourself.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 01:25:27 AM by Tamara » Logged
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2009, 01:25:40 AM »

Where is your Aussie sense of humor?
It was killed by online American style Orthodoxy which seeks to divide the Church of Christ, publicly insult people's heirarchs, and says (in it's wisdom) that only the Latin Catholics are the true Roman Catholic Church of the Fathers of the Oecumenical Councils.

Tamara
Archon

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2009, 01:29:39 AM »

It was killed by online American style Orthodoxy which seeks to divide the Church of Christ, publicly insult people's heirarchs, and says (in it's wisdom) that only the Latin Catholics are the true Roman Catholic Church of the Fathers of the Oecumenical Councils.

Come on George, I am not shouting you down. Explain what you mean. I am willing to hear you out if you speak plainly.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2009, 01:39:35 AM »

Guess you should have done some research first, hey?
Who convened the First Oecumenical Council Tamara? Was it St. Constantine the Great who established Constantinople, the New Rome?  Yes, that's right.
And what did he call all the Christian subjects of the Empire? "Romans"- thats right.
And which Empire held all of the Seven Oecumenical Councils? The Roman Empire.
Thus, the Church of the Seven Oecumenical Councils is the Roman Church. That is why you guys called yourself "Rum" and we call ourselves "Romioi" for centuries, even after the fall of New Rome to the Ottomans, and it means the same thing- "Roman", that is, a Faithful member of the Roman Church- not just a citizen of the Roman Empire.
After the Great Schism, Old Rome began to claim that it alone was the true "Roman Church" of the Oecumenical Councils and that we were schismatics. Hence, the entire history of New Rome was completely forgotten, as though all the Oecumenical Councils were held under Old Rome, and thus the Church of Old Rome was the "Roman Catholic Church".
And you agree with this.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 01:43:00 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

Tamara
Archon

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2009, 02:08:34 AM »

Who convened the First Oecumenical Council Tamara? Was it St. Constantine the Great who established Constantinople, the New Rome?  Yes, that's right.
And what did he call all the Christian subjects of the Empire? "Romans"- thats right.
Thus, the Church of the Seven Oecumenical Councils is the Roman Church. That is why you guys called yourself "Rum" and we call ourselves "Romioi" for centuries, even after the fall of New Rome to the Ottomans, and it means the same thing- "Roman", that is, a Faithful member of the Roman Church- not just a citizen of the Roman Empire.
After the Great Schism, Old Rome began to claim that it alone was the true "Roman Church" of the Oecumenical Councils and that we were schismatics. Hence, the entire history of New Rome was completely forgotten, as though all the Oecumenical Councils were held under Old Rome, and thus the Church of Old Rome was the "Roman Catholic Church".
And you agree with this.
But a majority of the Orthodox Christians in the world are not Roman they are Russian. So this title wouldn't be a very authentic way of identifying a world Orthodox church. And since the Roman empire no longer exists in either the west or the east it means very little to the average unchurched human being who needs to hear what we have to share with them.
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2009, 02:30:46 AM »

I would venture the Roman Empire still exists in the form of the Roman Catholic Church, especially in ruthlessness and financial strength. Did not the RCC grow out of what was left of the Pagan Roman Empire?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 02:35:40 AM by Myrrh23 » Logged

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2009, 02:42:06 AM »

I would venture the Roman Empire still exists in the form of the Roman Catholic Church, especially in ruthlessness and financial strength. Did not the RCC grow out of what was left of the Pagan Roman Empire?

Didn't the East grow out of that same empire?

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2009, 03:32:37 AM »

But a majority of the Orthodox Christians in the world are not Roman they are Russian.
Roll Eyes
So you continue to insist that Roman is an ethnicity (unless you're Roman Catholic).
It's pointless trying to discuss this with you.
Good luck with the "United American Orthodox Non-Roman Church"- I look forward to seeing it's website (vagantes are good at websites).
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 03:35:40 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2009, 03:53:41 AM »

Believe me, Italians can be very regionalised.  Roman is an ethnicity to us.   laugh   Wink

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2009, 05:47:14 AM »

Please don't label all of us online Americans as such.

But a majority of the Orthodox Christians in the world are not Roman they are Russian. So this title wouldn't be a very authentic way of identifying a world Orthodox church. And since the Roman empire no longer exists in either the west or the east it means very little to the average unchurched human being who needs to hear what we have to share with them.

The Holy Roman Church was Catholic Orthodoxy, not Roman Catholicism. In the fifteenth century a patriarch of Constantinople (I'm certain Isa will have me culling my library for exactly which) was bereft of a Royal Protector and upon crowning the Russian Tsar (with his  Metropolitan of Kiev in attendance) declared the Princes of Moscovy and Holy Russia to be the Third Rome. This is the source of the Russian claim to the title (and correctly so) and from that point onward the tsars used the Byzantine Double Eagle standard. This was not wordplay, but a blessing and a recognition of a fact.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 05:54:51 AM by Αριστοκλής » Logged

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2009, 07:49:38 AM »

She's not alone. Roll Eyes

Who convened the First Oecumenical Council Tamara? Was it St. Constantine the Great who established Constantinople, the New Rome? 

A Proto-Romanian (a Latin speaker from the Balkans).  What about him?

The Armenians were at Nicea, and the Syriacs too.  They weren't Roman, but they remained Christian.  Just ask Salpy.

Yes, that's right.

OK

Yes. And the pagan ones, and the Arian ones, and the Jewish and Samarian ones too.

The Emperor Caracalla was the one who made all the subjects of the Empire "Romans," by extending citizenship (Constitutio Antoniniana, it was a tax ploy).  Btw, he was almost all Semite: his paternal grandfather was Punic and Berber, his mother from a dynasty of Arab King-Priests from Syria incorporated into the senatorial class. His paternal grandmother was Italic. The dynasty, btw were the ones who tried to coopt Christmas for their ancestral Sun cult.

The Emperor Theodosios was the one who made Orthodox Christianity the state Creed.  The Jews (and I think the Samaritans) still remained citizen and Romans though.

Btw, the Roman emperor who celebrated the millenium of the city was Philip the Arab, according to the sources the first Christian emperor, but in secret.

Not everyone at them were in the Empire.  But they were all Orthodox Christians.

I thought you were the one who abhorred mixing Church and state.  Autocephaly is an economia, etc.

So is that how this guy got called "Rumi?" (the only Turk worth something).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8b/Rumi-enlarge.jpg

https://www.littletoncoin.com/LCC/html/images/5102-wc.jpg

I guess that's Roman on the coins.  I guess that's how the Ottoman became Keysar-i Rum "Caesar of Rome" in 1453.  Render unto Caesar....

And you agree with this.

You miss something?

The Romanian Church is.

In the fifteenth century a patriarch of Constantinople (I'm certain Isa will have me culling my library for exactly which
No need.  It was EP Joasaph II.  But it was the sixteenth century.  And the czar was his royal protector.
http://eprints.ucl.ac.uk/12898/1/12898.pdf

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2009, 08:03:53 AM »

Thanks Isa. Working from memory, you know...

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2009, 08:19:43 AM »

Thanks Isa. Working from memory, you know...

No problem, I had to look it up myself. Tongue

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2009, 08:57:47 AM »

Uh huh.
So I guess it was the Romanian Empire....
 Roll Eyes
Nice picture too.
I'll make a note on ratemyprofessor.com

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2009, 09:23:27 AM »

Uh huh.
So I guess it was the Romanian Empire....

Could be.  In the Latin of the time and area, it was the same word.  As a matter of fact, at the time the word "Romania" had gained currency as the name of the empire.  Emperor Theodosius (a Latin speaker, but being from Spain you would expect that) does refer to his "desire that all the various nations which are subject to our Clemency and Moderation, should continue to profess that religion which was delivered to the Romans by the divine Apostle Peter, as it has been preserved by faithful tradition, and which is now professed by the Pontiff Damasus and by Peter, Bishop of Alexandria, a man of apostolic holiness..."  No mention of the bishop of New Rome, to whom the edict was addressed. Oh, well.

Roll Eyes
Nice picture too.

Here are nicer ones.  Is that Greek?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/14/ConstantineCoin.jpg

http://www.constantinethegreatcoins.com/symbols/

http://www.constantinethegreatcoins.com/symbols/

Render unto Caesar.

I'll make a note on ratemyprofessor.com

is there a ratemytherapist?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 09:36:05 AM by ialmisry » Logged

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2009, 09:27:15 AM »

Is that Greek?
Roll Eyes Er, no.  It's Roman.
That's what we're talking about remember? Try and stay focussed.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 09:27:44 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2009, 09:37:53 AM »

Is that Greek?

I was refering to the language in the inscriptions.  Romane? Latine? Romanesti?

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2009, 09:40:58 AM »

Is that Greek?

Who cares?
Was the Church of the Roman Empire Greek? Seriously: what's your point? I'm curious.

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2009, 09:57:32 AM »

Is that Greek?

Chuckle...it is Latin. Empire did not officially switch to Greek until mid-6th century.

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2009, 10:00:19 AM »

I see. So, all these pretty pictures and strange messages were to tell me the bleeding obvious were they?
"News Flash- the Roman Empire was not Greek". Well fancy that!  And there I thought Milan was a coastal suburb of Thessaloniki and that "Constance" was a Greek noun.
You guys should go on "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire."

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2009, 10:01:55 AM »

Is that Greek?

Who cares?

Quite obviously, you do.

Was the Church of the Roman Empire Greek?

As Pontiff St. Damasus was Portuguese (or if you prefer, Lusitanian) and Pope Peter II of Alexandria was Coptic, and Theodosius' (himself a Spaniard/Hispanian) decree was in Latin, I guess not.

Seriously: what's your point? I'm curious.

That ruumiy is an ethnicity.  I though I made that clear.

When one speaks Ρωμαίικα, he's not speaking Arabic.  Or Latin.  He's speaking Greek.

Its a ethnicity.  

I knew I had.

What's your point, George?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 10:04:00 AM by ialmisry » Logged

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2009, 10:03:01 AM »

I see. So, all these pretty pictures and strange messages were to tell me the bleeding obvious were they?
"News Flash- the Roman Empire was not Greek". Well fancy that!  And there I thought Milan was a coastal suburb of Thessaloniki and that "Constance" was a Greek noun.

Naw, they probably call it the "Byzantine Empire."

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2009, 10:05:19 AM »

Is that Greek?

Who cares?

Quite obviously, you do.
No Isa. You think I care. And because of that you make the following blunder:

As Pontiff St. Damasus was Portuguese (or if you prefer, Lusitanian) and Pope Peter II of Alexandria was Coptic, and Theodosius' (himself a Spaniard/Hispanian) decree was in Latin, I guess not.
I guess you missed this post.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 10:08:33 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2009, 10:18:48 AM »

Is that Greek?
Who cares?
Quite obviously, you do.
No Isa. You think I care. And because of that you make the following blunder:

I guess you missed this post.
"News Flash- the Roman Empire was not Greek".

Really?  Better tell the Phanar, er, Rum Ortodoks Patrikhanesi, er, New Rome's, Chief Secretary quoted above.  Somehow he's conneting his See with Hellenism.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 10:25:42 AM by ialmisry » Logged

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2009, 10:26:33 AM »

Really?  Better tell the Phanar, er, Rum Ortodoks Patrikhanesi, er, New Rome's, Chief Secretary quoted above.  Somehow he's conneting his See with Hellenism.

And what should we tell the "Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Antioch and All the East"?
http://www.antiochpat.org/english/sitefiles/

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2009, 10:27:40 AM »

Is this where or when we make a thread entitled, "Isa thinks Not Enough Discussions Are Being Derailed by Greek-bashing"?  Wink

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2009, 10:27:55 AM »

And what should we tell the "Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Antioch and All the East"?
http://www.antiochpat.org/english/sitefiles/

My point exactly.

Tags: Roman EP Bashing nomenclature 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: