OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 09:11:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tarazi vs. Farley  (Read 541 times) Average Rating: 0
Orthodox11
Archon

« on: March 07, 2013, 06:36:08 PM »

Is anyone familiar with the Bible commentary series of Fr. Paul Nadim Tarazi and Fr. Lawrence Farley? Does anyone know how they compare? I already have a couple of Fr. Farley's books.

Thanks!

Clerical titles added to post to enforce compliance with forum rules regarding the respect we are to give our clergy  -PtA
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 08:36:29 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 07:58:35 PM »

I don't have much reading experience with either author, but from what limited reading I've done (on unrelated material) and what I've read online, some opinions seem to be...

- Fr. Farley is highly recommended by some, but is fairly popular-level
- Fr. Tarazi is less traditional, especially when it comes to the Old Testament, but is also less popular level

Clerical titles added to post to enforce compliance with forum rules regarding the respect we are to give our clergy  -PtA

Orthodox11 hasn't been warned for this before, but you have. Therefore, I think it safe to expect that you would know this rule better than he. For not using proper clergy titles, you are hereby receiving this warning to last for the next two weeks.

If you think this action wrong, please appeal it to me via private message.

- PeterTheAleut
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 08:37:34 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
choy
Archon

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 08:05:17 PM »

I highly recommend Fr. Lawrence Farley.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 09:14:56 PM »

I don't have much reading experience with either author, but from what limited reading I've done (on unrelated material) and what I've read online, some opinions seem to be...

- Fr. Farley is highly recommended by some, but is fairly popular-level
- Fr. Tarazi is less traditional, especially when it comes to the Old Testament, but is also less popular level

Orthodox11 hasn't been warned for this before, but you have. Therefore, I think it safe to expect that you would know this rule better than he. For not using proper clergy titles, you are hereby receiving this warning to last for the next two weeks.

If you think this action wrong, please appeal it to me via private message.

- PeterTheAleut

Didn't know either of them were priests. I suppose that is my fault for not doing a google search before every post I make to make sure anyone I talk about isn' a prest.

Wait...

OK, I checked google and orthodoxwiki does NOT have an article on "PeterTheAleut" saying he's a priest. I think I'm good...
 14 day warning for publically questioning moderator decision.

If you would like to apeal my decision please PM me.

-serb1389. General Fora Moderator

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 09:18:15 PM »

Is anyone familiar with the Bible commentary series of Fr. Paul Nadim Tarazi and Fr. Lawrence Farley? Does anyone know how they compare? I already have a couple of Fr. Farley's books.

Thanks!

I read the commentaries of Fr. Tarazi (added the Fr. even though his books do not, so as to escape the green meatball) and was scandalized.  A lot of modernist liberal rot.  You would be better off with a set of Lutheran commentaries by Lanski (or just stick with the Fathers).
 14 day warning for publically questioning moderator decision. 

If you would like to apeal this warning please PM me.

-serb1389 General Fora Moderator

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Punch
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 09:23:36 PM »

Didn't know either of them were priests. I suppose that is my fault for not doing a google search before every post I make to make sure anyone I talk about isn' a prest.

Nor would you have known if you had one of (Fr) Terazi's books in front of you since he published them under Paul Nadim Terazi.  However, to be safe, just use the (Fr) liberally because every time you call someone Father on the OCNet, you get 5000 indulgences.  Not doing so at the wrong time gets you a random number of days in forum purgatory.

choy
Archon

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 09:32:45 PM »

I would comment too that Fr. Lawrence does not have "Father" printed with his name in his books.  The only reason I know he is "Father" is because he is my priest.  Also if anyone goes to AFR to listen to his podcast.

Speaking of which, to know the quality of his books you can listen to his podcast on AFR called "Coffee Cup Commentaries".
jah777
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 12:08:05 AM »

I am not familiar with Fr. Lawrence's writings, but Fr. Paul Tarazi's are full of heresy.  That is not my opinion, but rather the conviction expressed by Archimandrite Touma (Bitar), Abbot of the Monastery of St. Silouan in Douma, and many clergy in the Archdiocese of Tripoli and elsewhere.  More of an explanation regarding his heretical teachings can be found here:

http://orthodoxinfo.com/phronema/fr-paul-tarazi-from-study-to-heresy.aspx
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 02:35:27 AM »

I have Fr. Lawrence Farley's commentaries on all four synoptic Gospels and I highly recommend them.  I have learned so much since I began reading them.  In addition, Fr. Lawrence is highly regarded by many people.

As for Fr. Tarazi, I have never read anything by him.  I have, however, read from many blogs and articles that his commentaries are extremely dangerous. 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 07:25:06 AM »

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry for getting people into trouble with clerical titles, I hadn't realised they were priests either.

I asked about Fr. Paul Tarazi because nearly every one of his books are required reading for the Antiochian House of Studies courses (I'm not planning to sign up, but am interested in what's being taught in the various Orthodox theology programmes) and I had never heard of him before, so I was wondering why his works were preferred over Fr. Lawrence Farley's (besides the fact that the former has written a lot on the OT whereas the latter seems to only have NT commentaries).

So I assume modern Biblical criticism is the problem? Is he of the moderate variety (Genesis probably not written by Moses but is a composite work) or does he go the whole way (Christ probably never said x,y,z)?

Just came across this: http://orthodoxinfo.com/phronema/fr-paul-tarazi-from-study-to-heresy.aspx
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 07:44:23 AM by Orthodox11 » Logged
Punch
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 10:12:50 AM »

I asked about Fr. Paul Tarazi because nearly every one of his books are required reading for the Antiochian House of Studies courses

Reading his commentaries was the final straw that caused me to leave the Antiochian Church. 

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 10:20:29 AM »

I see Jah777 had already put up that link. I missed that post, sorry!

Reading his commentaries was the final straw that caused me to leave the Antiochian Church. 

I initially really liked the fact that they devote so much of their theological programme to biblical studies (a good grasp of Scripture + the Fathers is all you really need), but if his books are as you say it's a bit troubling that he receives such a heavy emphasis and that no other books are used, if only for the sake of balance.
Tags: Bible 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: