OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 02, 2014, 04:52:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Titles of the Psalms in the Eclogarion acccording to the Great Horologion  (Read 1260 times) Average Rating: 0
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« on: May 05, 2009, 10:51:42 PM »

In the HTM Great Horologion, in the Eclogarion section, before each psalm selection, there is a sub-title.  For instance, under the Polyeleos, the subtitle is "O Ye Servants, Praise the Lord.  Alleluia." (p.680) Another instance is for the birth of the Theotokos (p. 685), the subtitle is "His Meekness. Alleluia."  Now, I realize that these are just truncations of the first full verse, but what is the purpose of these?  Are they supposed to signal some specific melody?  Or are they sung verbal cues sung by the protopsaltis or canonarch to the rest of the chanters to indicate what hymn is to be sung next?  What's the deal?

Forgive me for lacking appropriate terminology in describing this.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 11:13:02 PM »

I'll take a look tomorrow, but off the top of my head they look like antiphonal responses, if one were to chant the psalm.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 05:07:26 PM »

In the HTM Great Horologion, in the Eclogarion section, before each psalm selection, there is a sub-title.  For instance, under the Polyeleos, the subtitle is "O Ye Servants, Praise the Lord.  Alleluia." (p.680) Another instance is for the birth of the Theotokos (p. 685), the subtitle is "His Meekness. Alleluia."  Now, I realize that these are just truncations of the first full verse, but what is the purpose of these?  Are they supposed to signal some specific melody?  Or are they sung verbal cues sung by the protopsaltis or canonarch to the rest of the chanters to indicate what hymn is to be sung next?  What's the deal?

Yes, it is indicative of the melody.  You will also find this in the Octoechos (paraklitiki) where the subtitle indicates the melody that you are to sing the verses following.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 05:10:49 PM »

^So, "Ye servants of the Lord. Alleluia." is a melody?  Just as "we wept" is its own particular melody?  I've never found these melodies as automela before.  Where do I then find the particular melodies for these pslams in the eclogarion?

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 12:08:39 AM »

Yes, it is indicative of the melody.  You will also find this in the Octoechos (paraklitiki) where the subtitle indicates the melody that you are to sing the verses following.

Father in this case what is being referenced is the typical refrain that is chanted at the end of each verse. What I have found interesting in HTM's Horologion is that many of the Psalms where the refrain is simply "Alleluia" they do list the last words of the first verse of the Psalm. I have yet to see a musical setting (outside of those that are done by HTM) that have the whole refrain. 

Joseph
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 09:17:34 AM »

Father in this case what is being referenced is the typical refrain that is chanted at the end of each verse. What I have found interesting in HTM's Horologion is that many of the Psalms where the refrain is simply "Alleluia" they do list the last words of the first verse of the Psalm. I have yet to see a musical setting (outside of those that are done by HTM) that have the whole refrain. 

My apologies.  You are correct, in this case it is referencing the refrain.  As I was over in the Church this morning after morning prayers I got out the HTM Hor.  We can see this also in the 8th ode at Matins, where it is the refrains that are sung during the Ode (Praise the Lord...sing and exalt him throughout all the ages).   Most other places where it is not giving a refrain it is giving a once-said prelim verse with no rubrics, probably assuming that the Canonarch will know the difference.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: