OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 01:15:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Extreme Pilgrimage video  (Read 1845 times) Average Rating: 0
Douglas
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« on: May 05, 2009, 09:16:58 PM »

This is the third in a series of videos titled: Extreme Pilgrimage. It's really quite interesting (one hour in length) and I highly recommend it.

http://stmarkla.com/index.php/component/hwdvideoshare/?task=viewvideo&video_id=53

Douglas no longer posts on the forum.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 09:39:40 PM »

Thank you for this!  I'm just now taking a class on pilgrimage in byzantium.  this video was pretty good (although fairly hoakie as well).  Always nice to have a resource like this though! 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 10:06:11 PM »

I'm watching it right now...thanks for posting...it's interesting!

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 10:21:33 PM »

I just finished it.  He makes some very interesting statements.  Unfortunately I felt like a lot of his statements were "staged" to be "real" but in actuality just him making up stuff.  I hope it was real and heartfelt, but it is a TV program...

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 10:35:38 PM »

^^ I sort of felt the same way in a few times.  All in all, this is a really interesting, fascinating documentary; a real blessing to have come across it.  Thanks for posting this Douglass.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 12:13:09 AM »

I just watched this whole thing.  My thoughts:

1)  This video really hammers down while it is so essential to enter into such rigorous asceticism only after years of training and with the help and blessing of a spiritual father.  Fr. Peter had no spiritual father (and I'm not including Fr. Lazarus here) and thus his journey was so much more difficult.  Thus, this is definitely not for anyone or everyone.

2)  I wonder too if his thoughts were sincere since this was made for television.

3)  I was kind of put of by his initial thoughts about how he is trying to seek meaning by "sampling" other spiritual traditions.  This kind of mingling of different spiritualities is dangerous.  you are anchorless, jumping from one bandwagon to the next to go with what works for you, instead of simply what works.

4)  The gems of wisdom from Fr. Lazarus really hit home with me especially in his dicta regarding prayer.

All in all, I liked watching this video.  Thanks for posting it.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Douglas
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 12:44:12 AM »

Thanks for the excellent observations. In truth, I agree with your assessments. Fr Lazarus is a real gem.

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 02:23:38 AM »

This video was discussed a little while back in this thread:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,16462.html#top

I don't think the whole video was available then to view, so I am glad you brought it up again with the link.

The other thread includes some interesting information about Fr. Lazarus.

Douglas
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 10:20:24 AM »

That extra information on Fr Lazarus was very helpful. Thanks for the link.

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 07:29:41 AM »

Fascinating so far... 9 minutes in.  (Of course, I skipped a minute or two of video before he set out.)

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
c.steward

Faith: Inquirer

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 08:21:40 AM »

Fr Lazarus is featured in this book titled, Desert Father: In the Desert with Saint Anthony.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1590301455?ie=UTF8&tag=sneaandbook-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1590301455
PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 08:40:55 AM »

This is the third in a series of videos titled: Extreme Pilgrimage. It's really quite interesting (one hour in length) and I highly recommend it.

http://stmarkla.com/index.php/component/hwdvideoshare/?task=viewvideo&video_id=53

I caught this a few days ago and really enjoyed it.  I thought the presenter for very respectful.  Thanks for the extra links!
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 10:29:25 AM »

The more I watch the video, the more I'm impressed with Abba Lazarus.  The true spirit of prayer in the desert leaves us with men such as him - full of wisdom and humility.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 05:11:44 PM »

I just finished watching this again for the second time.  Each time I watch it, I take away a new lesson.  Many years to Abba Lazarus and Fr. Peter.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Tags: St. Antony Monastery Coptic Orthodox Church asceticism Monasticism Extreme Pilgrim video pilgrimage 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: