OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 06:22:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Western Rite - Liturgy, Icons, and Architecture...  (Read 6337 times) Average Rating: 0
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: May 05, 2009, 11:00:31 AM »

What is the liturgy like in the Western Rite? Is it much different than the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom? How about the icons? Are they much more western?

Just to give you some background, I was thinking about the Western Rite, and if it grows a lot more, it's architecture could be different than that of eastern churches. I was thinking about just drawing up some possibilities, but didn't know if I ought to use pre-schism western churches or not. I didn't know if the pre-schism western basilicas worked well with the Western Rite liturgy or whether the eastern cross-in-square plan fits the liturgy better...
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 11:10:08 AM »

Useful links:
- http://www.westernorthodox.com/
- http://www.stgregoryoc.org/
- http://www.emmanuelorthodox.org/
- http://www.ststephensorthodox.org/
- http://www.holyincarnation.org/
- http://www.stvincentchurch.org/
- http://www.saintpeterorthodox.org/
- http://www.stpaulsorthodox.org/
- http://www.holyapostlestyler.org/
- http://www.st-benedict.org/
- http://www.orthodoxlynchburg.org/
- http://www.saintpatrickorthodox.org/
- http://www.spokaneorthodox.com/
- http://www.orthodoxresurgence.com/petroc/
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 11:37:32 AM »

What is the liturgy like in the Western Rite? Is it much different than the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom? How about the icons? Are they much more western?

The Western rite (of the AOC) is basically just theologically corrected Anglicanism. The liturgy is a revised version of that of the Book of Common Prayer, architecture is western, although I think most use Byzantine iconography.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 12:27:49 PM »

I would love to visit one of these parishes. Its too bad that we don't have one in New Mexico. Sad

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 12:31:19 PM »

Just to give you some background, I was thinking about the Western Rite, and if it grows a lot more, it's architecture could be different than that of eastern churches. I was thinking about just drawing up some possibilities, but didn't know if I ought to use pre-schism western churches or not. I didn't know if the pre-schism western basilicas worked well with the Western Rite liturgy or whether the eastern cross-in-square plan fits the liturgy better...

The biggest difference I've seen is that there is no iconostasis (there is a communion rail, but no rood screen) and the altar is up against the wall.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 12:33:04 PM »

The biggest difference I've seen is that there is no iconostasis (there is a communion rail, but no rood screen) and the altar is up against the wall.
Just like the set up for a Tridentine Mass.  Smiley

88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 12:45:56 PM »

So the layout of the church would pretty much be suited for the typical pre-schism western church?

« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 12:48:49 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
Michał
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 12:55:32 PM »

So the layout of the church would pretty much be suited for the typical pre-schism western church?

The layout of the church in most of WRO parishes is rather in "the best we could afford" style. Wink
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 01:24:41 PM by Michał » Logged
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 02:40:08 PM »

Well I mean for when/if the Western Rite becomes larger and the parishes become more developed.
Reader KevinAndrew

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Western Rite

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 09:30:48 PM »

Many of the WR churches have altars that are free-standing. Ours is one like that. Regarding the rood screen, most WR churches just don't have the money or space for it. If we're fortunate later to have the space and the funds, we'll have one.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 11:51:26 AM »

There are some threads on the forum addressing the point that a rood screen is not the same as an iconostasis.  I'll try to look for them later. 

WR are still pretty thin on the ground, and it seems to me that there hasn't been much umm growth in that department.   Undecided

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
StGeorge
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

St. George

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 12:22:06 PM »

I've only been to one Western Rite Orthodox church.  They did not have their own church structure, so the interior was not ideal.  I remember that they had a Christ icon and I think a Theotokos icon near the altar.  In the back of the church, they had a place to light beeswax candles (just like an Eastern church).  The Liturgy offered was the Liturgy of St. Gregory, basically the Tridentine Latin Mass in English and with some alterations.  They used unleavened bread and distributed the Eucharist by intinction (dipping the Bread in the Wine).  The vestments used by priest and servers were Latin, similiar if not the same as the traditional vestments of the Latin Church.  I did not see any statues, and the people made the sign of the cross Greek-style.   

Michał
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 01:31:16 PM »

Well I mean for when/if the Western Rite becomes larger and the parishes become more developed.

St Augustine's in Denver is quite a developed WRO parish. I reccomend photographs availabe on their website (http://www.staugustinedenver.org).
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 01:31:37 PM by Michał » Logged
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 05:14:41 AM »

I really like the Western rite Orthodox churches. It was my first contact with Orthodoxy. The liturgy is beautiful and, I can genuflect!

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
The young fogey
Moderated
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 10:24:05 AM »

Essentially it comes in two versions, Tridentine Mass either in Latin or more often in 'thou' English (St Augustine's, Denver is a lovely example) and US 1928 Anglican Book of Common Prayer (what most Antiochian Western Riters are... the Mass is that Communion service retrofitted with Tridentine-like additions like minor propers), both with varying necessary corrections (no filioque) and likewise varying self-byzantinisations (liturgical fans on display behind the altar).

ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2009, 02:38:39 PM »

Essentially it comes in two versions, Tridentine Mass either in Latin or more often in 'thou' English (St Augustine's, Denver is a lovely example) and US 1928 Anglican Book of Common Prayer (what most Antiochian Western Riters are... the Mass is that Communion service retrofitted with Tridentine-like additions like minor propers), both with varying necessary corrections (no filioque) and likewise varying self-byzantinisations (liturgical fans on display behind the altar).
Any specific reason as to why they opted for the Anglican book of common prayer?

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
The young fogey
Moderated
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 10:28:21 AM »

Because most of them used to be Episcopalians.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2009, 10:30:05 AM »

St Augustine's in Denver is quite a developed WRO parish. I reccomend photographs availabe on their website (http://www.staugustinedenver.org).

We were blessed to have Fr. David Lynch, the former pastor of St. Augustine, retire to our parish.  May his memory be eternal!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2009, 11:44:13 AM »

Byzantinisations?  Sad

PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2009, 11:45:49 AM »

Byzantinisations?  Sad
Kind of like Latinizations, without all the Papal infallibility.  Wink Kiss
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2009, 11:48:33 AM »

Byzantinisations?  Sad
Kind of like Latinizations, without all the Papal infallibility.  Wink Kiss
Haha. I know. I just love the idea of a Western Rite Orthodoxy and would love to see it be as genuinely Western as possible. Of course, I have no say in this matter, but if I was supreme dictator... LOL

PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2009, 11:50:47 AM »

Haha. I know. I just love the idea of a Western Rite Orthodoxy and would love to see it be as genuinely Western as possible. Of course, I have no say in this matter, but if I was supreme dictator... LOL
I thought you'd like that.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2009, 12:44:37 PM »

Of course, I have no say in this matter, but if I was supreme dictator...

Supreme Pontiff???
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2009, 12:47:56 PM »

Of course, I have no say in this matter, but if I was supreme dictator...

Supreme Pontiff???
LOL.

ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2009, 02:40:33 PM »

O.K. well, that explains it! What about the liturgy of Saint Tikhon?

Gabriel
Agnostic Pessimist

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2009, 02:46:37 PM »

That's the modified Anglican Book of Common Prayer with a few changes to bring it in line with Orthodox theology.  Removal of filioque, stronger epiclesis, etc.

They named it after him out of honor, I believe.

My soul waits for the Lord
More than those who watch for the morning.
Yes, more than those who watch for the morning.
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2009, 03:36:45 PM »

That's the modified Anglican Book of Common Prayer with a few changes to bring it in line with Orthodox theology.  Removal of filioque, stronger epiclesis, etc.

Hmm O.K. But I guess it would have made more sense (to me) if an Old Roman Rite liturgy were to be used rather than a Protestant version of the Roman mass (Book of Common Prayer). Maybe my reasoning is slow to comprehend  Roll Eyes. Although, I know the liturgy of Saint Gregory is the one typically used by the WRO under the ACOA. Why not just use this version of the ancient Roman Mass wherever the WRO function?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 03:56:19 PM by ChristusDominus » Logged

seabeau

Faith: Orthodox (Western Rite)
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2009, 03:49:24 PM »

The Western Rite movement started in England, I think that is the reason we use the modified Anglican mass.
Most of the early Western rite people were former Episcopalians. However, it seems like most of the people being drawn into the church are former RC and Protestants.

For me the WR Church is my neighborhood Orthodox Church, it is a long drive to an Eastern Rite Church.
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2009, 03:53:17 PM »

The Western Rite movement started in England, I think that is the reason we use the modified Anglican mass.
Most of the early Western rite people were former Episcopalians. However, it seems like most of the people being drawn into the church are former RC and Protestants.

For me the WR Church is my neighborhood Orthodox Church, it is a long drive to an Eastern Rite Church.

That makes sense. Is that where you now attend?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 03:57:09 PM by ChristusDominus » Logged

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2009, 03:55:38 PM »

Hmm O.K. But I guess it would have made more sense (to me) if an Old Roman Rite liturgy were to be used rather than a Protestant version of the Roman mass (Book of Common Prayer). Maybe my reasoning is slow to comprehend  Roll Eyes. Although, I know the liturgy of Saint Gregory is the one typically used by the WRO under the ACOA. Why not just use this version of the ancient Roman Mass everywhere that the WRO function?

The Orthodox Missal contains both: the DL of St. Gregory stems originally from a request from the Church of what would become Czechoslovakia to the Church of Russia for approval of Western rites (the Czechoslovak Church was all Western until the 30's I believe).  The DL of St. Tikhon comes from his request that the Holy Synod review the BCP as the basis of a WRO.  The the time the Episcopalians were still the dominant group in America, and had a hand (actually full hands) in the Orthodox getting into the US (that had a hand in what became the Antiochian Archdiocese splitting off from the Russian Archdiocese).  The first priest for the parish that the GOA traces itself to was brought by the Protestant Episcopal church.
http://www.holy-trinity.org/history/1865/1865.03.03%20NYT-Honcharenko.pdf

seabeau

Faith: Orthodox (Western Rite)
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2009, 04:12:00 PM »

Yes,
St Michael Church in California, I have been there for several years.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2009, 10:40:16 AM »

That is a very beautiful church but I am curious; the organ and what seems to be the choir loft are above the altar. That seems a little strange since if the choir is up there, they wouldn't be able to see the service.
The young fogey
Moderated
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2009, 10:46:55 AM »

Probably a secondhand Protestant building.

ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2009, 01:59:58 PM »

I believe it used to be a Protestant Church.

Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2009, 02:47:14 PM »

Yeah, that makes sense.
Reader KevinAndrew

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Western Rite

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2009, 11:15:17 AM »

I believe it used to be a Protestant Church.
It was built originally as a Lutheran church.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: