OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 09:36:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icon Question  (Read 3149 times) Average Rating: 0
David Young
OC.net guru

Faith: Baptist
Jurisdiction: local church, Wrexham, Wales

« on: May 05, 2009, 05:12:35 AM »

Can anyone explain to me what this icon represents? A picture of it was given to me by a friend, and I rather liked it, so I have inserted it into the front of a Bible, but I should like to gain a better understanding of it. (It gets bigger if you click on it.)

« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 05:13:51 AM by David Young » Logged

"But if you bite and devour one another, take heed that you are not consumed by one another." Galatians 5.15
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 04:12:53 PM »

I've never seen the icon before, but I'm bumping the thread because I'm also interested in the answer.  Grin

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 06:26:45 PM »

Sorry this is not an Eastern Orthodox Icon.

The symbolism and portral style is just all wrong.  For example, missing the proper inscription in the halo, the wrong colours of red robe respresenting divity and blue cloak representing humanity (God put on humanity) are missing. 
It just looks like contemporary non-Orthodox art to me.
antiderivative
Elder

Faith: Northeastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: A jurisdiction

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 06:47:27 PM »

The symbolism and portral style is just all wrong.  For example, missing the proper inscription in the halo, the wrong colours of red robe respresenting divity and blue cloak representing humanity (God put on humanity) are missing. 
It just looks like contemporary non-Orthodox art to me.

It's a Coptic (Oriental) Orthodox icon. I do know that I have seen icons (Eastern Orthodox) of Jesus without the "O W N" in the halo.

signature
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 06:51:29 PM »

Do eastern orthodox icon depict The Lord with the open wounds like this as well.. i never seen one... Huh Huh

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
soufliotiki

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 08:13:14 PM »

Do eastern orthodox icon depict The Lord with the open wounds like this as well.. i never seen one... Huh Huh

Hi, again I find myself posting a link to a parallel thread in another forum. - not to advertise that forum over this one but perhaps to provide information discussed there as a basis for discussion on this forum:

http://www.monachos.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5936

Guide my heart, O Blessed Wisdom, and my tongue will also be guided ...
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 11:43:43 AM »

My parish has one of Christ on the cross, and He is depicted with open wounds. Other than that, I have not seen wounds. It stands to reason that an icon of Christ showing Himself to St. Thomas would show the wounds, but I have not seen such an icon. Does one exist?

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 11:54:01 AM »

That is a Coptic icon of St. Abba Bishoy who was an Egyptian Desert monk. The icon depicts St. Bishoy washing the feet of our Lord Jesus Christ when the Lord appeared to him in the desert.

http://orthodoxwiki.org/Bishoy

« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 11:58:03 AM by Andrew21091 » Logged
David Young
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 05:16:08 PM »

Many thanks! That seems to answer my question. The friend who gave me the picture of the icon did spend some years working as a schoolteacher in the Middle East - Lebanon, I think - and it may be that his sojourn and travels in those parts brought him to this icon. He ended his exemplary life as a licensed "reader" in the Anglican Church in Wales.

"But if you bite and devour one another, take heed that you are not consumed by one another." Galatians 5.15
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 11:22:16 PM »

This is silly. The symbolism is not "all wrong." Symbolism by nature is subjective; it cannot be right or wrong. It is simply the case that the symbolism employed in Coptic Orthodox iconography is informed by Coptic culture.

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 11:27:19 PM »

This feature of the icon would make sense to one who was aware of the story of St Pishoi. St Pishoi's literal/physical encounter with the Lord Christ began as an encounter with an old man who was neglected by the rest of the monks despite his cry for their service. This old man was in actual fact Christ Himself, and He revealed Himself to St Pishoi as such by the display of His crucifixion wounds.

Again, for the sake of emphasis: the display of crucifixion wounds in this icon uniquely relates to the life of the very Saint who is the subject of the icon in the first place.

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

St. Hripsimeh pray for us!

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 11:53:48 PM »

EA,

I know that one or two videos have been produced depicting the life of this saint.  I recall seeing one a couple of years ago.  Do you know if there is a place on the internet where one can see it?

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 12:37:56 AM »

I'm pretty sure St. Pishoi lived before Chalcedon.  Is he not a saint in the EO Churches?

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 12:56:55 AM »

I'm sure there is some video on his life; he is a very popular Saint in the Coptic Church. I'll do a search some time later to see what I can come up with.

And yes, he is also a Saint in the EO Church. He goes by the name St Paisios, I believe.

stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 04:48:54 AM »

This feature of the icon would make sense to one who was aware of the story of St Pishoi. St Pishoi's literal/physical encounter with the Lord Christ began as an encounter with an old man who was neglected by the rest of the monks despite his cry for their service. This old man was in actual fact Christ Himself, and He revealed Himself to St Pishoi as such by the display of His crucifixion wounds.

Again, for the sake of emphasis: the display of crucifixion wounds in this icon uniquely relates to the life of the very Saint who is the subject of the icon in the first place.

Thank you! Brother Great Reply....

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2009, 06:41:18 PM »

I posted the life of St. Pishoi in the Lives of the Saints thread:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13801.msg321922.html#msg321922

David Young
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2011, 04:46:12 PM »

These wall paintings in an Orthodox church in Lagia (Peleponnese) struck me as resembling the Bayeux tapestry, or carvings at churches like Daglingworth (England) from before 1066, more than the usual Greek iconography. Any comments?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 04:48:32 PM by David Young » Logged

Orest
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2011, 12:23:21 PM »

This explains the difference between an icon of the Orthodox Church and a religious portrait:
http://www.pravmir.com/what%e2%80%99s-the-difference-between-an-icon-and-a-portrait/
David Young
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2012, 11:56:55 AM »

Can anyone comment on this icon? - the gestures, the facial expression, the icongraphic meanings, etc?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 11:57:26 AM by David Young » Logged

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2012, 02:00:22 PM »

Hey, welcome back David! We've missed ya Wink
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 02:00:38 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2012, 02:02:05 PM »

Can anyone comment on this icon? - the gestures, the facial expression, the icongraphic meanings, etc?

It's King David, looking up to Heaven. I can't quite make out the words on the scroll, sorry.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
David Young
OC.net guru

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2012, 03:18:27 PM »

I can't quite make out the words on the scroll, sorry.

Psalm 113, "From the rising of the sun to the going down of the same, the Lord's name is to be praised." (So said the Greek icon-seller who sold it to me, and once he said it, the letters fell into place and are obviously that verse.)

The green circle - is it a representation of the sun? a sun-dial? something else of religious significance?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 03:18:52 PM by David Young » Logged

David Young
OC.net guru

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2012, 03:22:18 PM »

Hey, welcome back David! We've missed ya Wink

Thank you. And I even had an hour with a bishop! (I think the correct words are Byzantine Catholic, but they regard themselves as Orthodox.) All the icons on sale are in Greek, imported from Greece: if you want one in Arbëresh, you have to order it specially from an iconographer  Sad, though there are some in churches.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 03:23:04 PM by David Young » Logged

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2012, 03:38:48 PM »

The green circle - is it a representation of the sun? a sun-dial? something else of religious significance?

It represents the voice of God, I believe. In some icons a hand is shown indicating God's approval or blessing.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2012, 04:35:10 PM »

It represents the voice of God, I believe. In some icons a hand is shown indicating God's approval or blessing.

It can also be found in icons of Theophany, the Annunciation, and Pentecost as God and sending the Holy Spirit.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2012, 04:44:32 PM »

To add to what others have written, Prophet David is looking up at the presence of God (the motif in the upper right-hand corner), in humility, and with a hand raised in supplication and deference to the Divine. This motif can also be rendered with a hand blessing within it, or, in the case of NT saints, Christ Himself may be seen blessing the saint. The radiant blue circle represents the uncreated light and glory of God, and is known as a mandorla. The deferential, supplicatory raised hand of saints and righteous ones is an extremely common feature in iconography.

It can also be found in icons of Theophany, the Annunciation, and Pentecost as God and sending the Holy Spirit.

And by no means only in these icons. Countless other icons have this motif.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 04:46:18 PM by LBK » Logged
David Young
OC.net guru

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2012, 04:40:34 AM »

On our recent holiday in Greece, my wife and I were struck by the number of times the Prophet Elijah was brought to our minds. Almost the very first village we went to was itself called by that name (see photo for the path to it). Sign-posts, churches... till in the end I bought an icon of him after talking with the monk who welcomes visitors at Nea Filosofou monastery (near Dimitsana). Two questions to you:

1) Why do the vast majority of the icons of him depict him (as in mine) being fed by the raven, rather than his ascension in his chariot to heaven, or his presence at the 'Metamorphosis'/Transfiguration (though these do apepar as well of course)?

2) Why is he such an important and ubiquitous figure in Greece?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 04:41:35 AM by David Young » Logged

LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2012, 05:36:25 AM »

1) Why do the vast majority of the icons of him depict him (as in mine) being fed by the raven, rather than his ascension in his chariot to heaven, or his presence at the 'Metamorphosis'/Transfiguration (though these do apepar as well of course)?

In my experience, the numbers of icons of Prophet Elijah in the fiery chariot and sitting at the mouth of his cave looking at the raven are about equal, irrespective of regional provenance or age.

The Transfiguration icon is primarily an icon of Christ; the presence of the three apostles and the two prophets is of great theological importance, but the icon is not about them per se.

2) Why is he such an important and ubiquitous figure in Greece?

For the same reason he is greatly venerated in all the Orthodox world: He is regarded as a protector against fire, and is also invoked during times of drought to intercede for rain to fall. There are specific litany petitions which ask for his intercession which can be read during a Divine Liturgy during times of fire, drought or flood.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 05:39:05 AM by LBK » Logged
Tags: icons Coptic Orthodox Church Oriental Orthodox saints saints OO icons 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: