Author Topic: Convince me that Anglicanism is false  (Read 10899 times)

Offline byhisgrace

• High Elder
  • Oh Holy Apostle, St. John, pray for us
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Re: Convince me that Anglicanism is false
« Reply #360 on: June 13, 2015, 04:28:15 PM »
Martin Luther completely ignored Christ's directive that we be perfect; Lutheran theology cant even support the notion of humans becoming perfect except through divine grace (Soli deo gloria).

But if this is what our Lord meant, he would not have issued commandments.

Fwiw, I have not found this argument convincing as a Protestant. Protestants (at least the non-liberal types) don't deny the call to holiness and following God's commandments. They just disagree on what those commandments may be, how they are practically applied in this life, and exactly how it contributes to our salvation. There is a temptation among apologists of all sides to present false dichotomies. Example: Sola Fide = antinomianism; Theosis = Pharisaism (if that's a word.)   
Not posting. Will be back on October 1st.

Offline Daedelus1138

• High Elder
« Reply #361 on: June 13, 2015, 05:06:51 PM »
Luther didn't ignore Christ's command to be perfect, he just saw himself as unable to do that, so he had to figure out the "why" behind it.   It's not like he didn't try- he seems to have thrown himself into the life and doctrines of the Roman Catholic Church 110 percent.   Just keep in mind, Luther was an incredibly broken, flawed man.  He basically grew up in a home where physical abuse and emotional abuse was routine, and he was terrified of God because in his understanding, God was incomprehensible and allowed some horrendous things to happen, so there was little reason to think that God was merciful to him, especially when so many of Catholic doctrines stated otherwise.  That doesn't make his theological insights irrelevant- we live in a fallen world, there is a little Luther in all of us.   
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 05:10:48 PM by Daedelus1138 »

Offline wgw

• Amateur Liturgical Enthusiast
  • Archon
  • The above Syriac icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: My spleen is on lease to Sinai.
« Reply #362 on: June 13, 2015, 05:17:55 PM »
Luther didn't ignore Christ's command to be perfect, he just saw himself as unable to do that, so he had to figure out the "why" behind it.   It's not like he didn't try- he seems to have thrown himself into the life and doctrines of the Roman Catholic Church 110 percent.   Just keep in mind, Luther was an incredibly broken, flawed man.  He basically grew up in a home where physical abuse and emotional abuse was routine, and he was terrified of God because in his understanding, God was incomprehensible and allowed some horrendous things to happen, so there was little reason to think that God was merciful to him, especially when so many of Catholic doctrines stated otherwise.  That doesn't make his theological insights irrelevant- we live in a fallen world, there is a little Luther in all of us.   

I have a great deal of sympathy for Luther, but many Orthodox saints endured far worse, and nothing you just said about Luther seems to me to be a good argument for listening to him on theological matters.

Orthodox saints in many cases attained visible degrees of Theosis in this life precisely on account of their worldly suffering.  Humans can become perfect, and Luther is a figure to be pitied; he did a good service in breaking the back of the papacy, but his doctrines deny Christians who follow them the promise of deification, which seems an unintentional cruelty on Luther's part.
Antisemitism, racism and prejudicial nationalism should have no place in Orthodoxy.  For to paraphrase  St. Paul, there is neither Jew nor Greek, neither male nor female, slave or freeman, in the Christian Church.

Offline Daedelus1138

• High Elder
« Reply #363 on: June 13, 2015, 09:09:04 PM »
Orthodox saints in many cases attained visible degrees of Theosis in this life precisely on account of their worldly suffering.  Humans can become perfect, and Luther is a figure to be pitied; he did a good service in breaking the back of the papacy, but his doctrines deny Christians who follow them the promise of deification, which seems an unintentional cruelty on Luther's part.

Lutherans do believe in glorification, but they emphasize it happening in the next world, where God will make a new Heaven and a new Earth.

I have read alot of Orthodox saints and I don't know a single one that believed they were sinless.  Isn't that the whole point of the Jesus Prayer? (which seems to be increasingly popular with Lutherans).

Offline Czar Lazar

• Elder
  • Само слога Србина спасава
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Српскa Православнa Црквa
« Reply #364 on: June 14, 2015, 12:22:55 AM »

I have a great deal of sympathy for Luther, but many Orthodox saints endured far worse, and nothing you just said about Luther seems to me to be a good argument for listening to him on theological matters.

did he now?

Offline Volnutt

• Taxiarches
« Reply #365 on: June 14, 2015, 03:54:01 AM »

Lutherans do believe in glorification, but they emphasize it happening in the next world, where God will make a new Heaven and a new Earth.

I have read alot of Orthodox saints and I don't know a single one that believed they were sinless.  Isn't that the whole point of the Jesus Prayer? (which seems to be increasingly popular with Lutherans).

It's kind of a paradox. St. Sisoes the Great, for example, on his deathbed cried out to God because he had "not yet begun to repent."

I tend to think that Orthodoxy supports something of a middle ground- perfection in this life can and does happen, we're supposed to always strive for it, but we should never conclude that someone living is definitely there.

Offline xariskai

• юродивый/yurodivy
  • OC.net guru
  • יהוה עזי ומגני
« Reply #366 on: July 05, 2015, 04:41:00 PM »
Glorification has its beginnings and firm reality in this present age.
"And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit" 2 Cor 3:18.

This is abundantly clear on reading the excellent article "Glory" in Colin Brown, ed., New International Dictionary of NT Theology.

It's kind of a paradox. St. Sisoes the Great, for example, on his deathbed cried out to God because he had "not yet begun to repent."

I tend to think that Orthodoxy supports something of a middle ground- perfection in this life can and does happen, we're supposed to always strive for it, but we should never conclude that someone living is definitely there.
"One limit of perfection is the fact that it has no limit. For that divine Apostle, great and lofty in understanding, ever running the course of virtue, never ceased straining toward those things that are still to come... We should show great diligence not to fall away from the perfection which is attainable but to acquire as much as possible." -St. Gregory of Nyssa, The Life of Moses (CWS/Classsics of Western Spirituality Series, 1979) p. 30.

"Not that I have already obtained it, or have already become perfect, but I press on in order that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Jesus Christ." Phil 3:12

“Repentance is fitting at all times and for all persons. To sinners as well as to the righteous who look for salvation. There are no bounds to perfection, for even the perfection of the most perfect is naught but imperfection. Hence, until the moment of death neither the time nor the works of repentance can ever be complete” (St. Isaac the Syrian, as quoted in Lossky, Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church, p. 204).

Protestants (at least the non-liberal types) don't deny the call to holiness and following God's commandments. They just disagree on what those commandments may be, how they are practically applied in this life, and exactly how it contributes to our salvation. There is a temptation among apologists of all sides to present false dichotomies. Example: Sola Fide = antinomianism; Theosis = Pharisaism (if that's a word.)

The Eastern Church views this as a two sided coin: the Christian working out his or her salvation "with fear and trembling" is a repentant sinner (notice there are two variables, not just one) -neither "morally perfect" (moralism/perfectionism) nor unrepentant (antinomianism); according to the Eastern fathers there is only one sin which is called mortal (1 Jn 5): refusal to repent. This is consonant with the dire warning in Heb 10 which speaks of continual willful sin rather than particular sins as such, and 1 Jn 3:9 which translates a verb in the Greek present/continual tense. All sin can blind, corrupt, harm, and deceive the sinner; one can "know" Christianity "ideologically" and be far from God; on the other hand "If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself" (Jn 7:17). Western Christianity sometimes tends to bifurcate into incomplete and often unbalanced alternatives of moralistic legalism on the one hand and undisciplined "hyper-grace" antinomianism on the other; the New Covenant as spoken of in Jeremiah taught the creation of a new heart which would cause us to walk in his ways, as opposed to a religion of tablets and laws (Jer 31), or devil-may-care lawlessness in effect denying Him even if drawing near with the lips and the mind alone (Titus 1:16: "They profess to know God, but they deny him by their works"). Neither trust in the sufficiency of one's own moral achievements nor despair in the face of impossible standards are issues in the Christian East.; similarly there is no tension between such categories as self-discipline as a Spiritual fruit (Gal 5:22). The Orthodox faith understands both the reality and seriousness of our present sin even in the midst of repentance as well as the uncomprormising upward call to holiness ("pursue... holiness, without which no one will see the Lord" -Heb 12:14); where one of these poles is emphasized to the exclusion or minimization of the other the disciple becomes unbalanced, whether in a Pharisaical direction or legalistic moralism, or the equally perilous direction of the lawless who regard continual repentance and the call to holiness as matters to minimize in the least and/or dismiss. The heart of the manner of our continual hope is exemplified by the ancient Jesus Prayer, which we pray at all times: "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner."
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 05:01:47 PM by xariskai »

Offline NoahB

• The Just Noah
  • Current Anglican-- Future Orthodox
  • Faith: Anglo-Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Anglican Province of America
« Reply #367 on: July 05, 2015, 04:58:03 PM »
Just a quick note on the filioque controversy...

Most Anglo-Catholics I've talked to agree that it was wrong for it to be added to the Creed without the consent of the whole Church, however, it is also understood in a different way than most here believe. When we say he proceeds from the Father and the Son, we are talking about the economy of salvation, not the procession of the Godhead. I believe even Orthodox Christians can affirm that in the economy of salvation, the Holy Spirit is sent from both the Father and the Son. But when talking about the Godhead by itself, it is true that he proceeds only from the Father.
"God became man, so that men might become gods." -- St. Athanasius

Offline Peter J

• Formerly PJ
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Melkite Catholic
« Reply #368 on: July 07, 2015, 11:55:59 AM »
Wow.

I got out of the habit of checking this section ... looks like I missed a lot in the last couple months.  ;)

Okay. I'll narrow it down to High Church.   

High church Anglican is a good beginning. (Edit: Hopefully that doesn't come across as too condescending.)

I don't know if you've read Evangelical is Not Enough: Worship of God in Liturgy and Sacrament, but I would recommend at least reading the Postscript ... or better yet, if you've got 5 or 10 minutes, go back two pages to the one starting with "Little is".
- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)

Offline byhisgrace

• High Elder
  • Oh Holy Apostle, St. John, pray for us
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #369 on: July 12, 2015, 04:02:59 PM »
The 2 pages before the postscript was a good read.
Not posting. Will be back on October 1st.

Offline Shlomlokh

• 主哀れめよ!
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Bulgarian/GOA
« Reply #370 on: July 12, 2015, 06:14:18 PM »
People still need to be convinced that Anglicanism and Episcopaganism are false??
"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos

Offline scamandrius

• Musicians don't dance
  • Taxiarches
  • Why do I waste my time here?
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #371 on: July 12, 2015, 07:44:23 PM »
People still need to be convinced that Anglicanism and Episcopaganism are false??

Well, with both their numbers plummeting, I dont think anyone will need convincing since both will be dead in 50 years, 75 tops. 
Hey, I don't hand out 9.5s to just anyone!  ;D

Online The young fogey

• Archon
  • I'm an alpaca, actually
    • A conservative blog for peace
« Reply #372 on: July 12, 2015, 08:11:29 PM »
It might still exist but "the empire strikes back"; it won't be British anymore. It will be African, maybe a little paganized around the edges but conservative and definitely Protestant. As for the rest, elementary as Holmes said. If you teach heresy about the Eucharist (as in the Thirty-Nine Articles), you don't have holy orders anymore, even though you still have a line of succession. (That what Pope Leo XIII taught.) So Anglicanism is not a "church"; it's an "ecclesial community," polite Vaticanese for a group of Christians, Protestants, who are not a church.

The Orthodox line is almost the same: it's outside the church and impossible to graft in as a group, so individual conversions are the way to go.
"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

High-church libertarian
Blog

Offline Peter J

• Formerly PJ
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #373 on: July 13, 2015, 10:02:23 AM »
As you say, the Orthodox line is almost the same -- almost being the key word, since we recognize them as a Church but not vice versa.

Offline Peter J

• Formerly PJ
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #374 on: July 13, 2015, 10:08:37 AM »
The 2 pages before the postscript was a good read.

:)

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • From the Land of 10,000 Lakes
« Reply #375 on: July 13, 2015, 08:03:35 PM »
It might still exist but "the empire strikes back"; it won't be British anymore. It will be African, maybe a little paganized around the edges but conservative and definitely Protestant. As for the rest, elementary as Holmes said. If you teach heresy about the Eucharist (as in the Thirty-Nine Articles), you don't have holy orders anymore, even though you still have a line of succession. (That what Pope Leo XIII taught.) So Anglicanism is not a "church"; it's an "ecclesial community," polite Vaticanese for a group of Christians, Protestants, who are not a church.

The Orthodox line is almost the same: it's outside the church and impossible to graft in as a group, so individual conversions are the way to go.

Ugandicanism FTW!
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline Peter J

• Formerly PJ
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #376 on: July 13, 2015, 08:06:04 PM »

I don't need to be convinced, I can quit any time I want.

Offline Daedelus1138

• High Elder
« Reply #377 on: July 15, 2015, 05:41:16 PM »
. As for the rest, elementary as Holmes said. If you teach heresy about the Eucharist (as in the Thirty-Nine Articles), you don't have holy orders anymore, even though you still have a line of succession. (That what Pope Leo XIII taught.)

1) How do you know this to be true?

2) How does the sacramental grace of ordination end with teaching "heresy"?  I thought a sacrament's validity was not determined by the worthiness of ministers?

3) What makes you think transubstantiation was the belief of the early church?

Offline Cyrillic

• The Laughing Cavalier
  • Toumarches
  • Level 13 Chalcedonian Paladin
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #378 on: July 15, 2015, 05:59:01 PM »
Re 3: The writings of those in the early Church.
At nunc desertis cessant sacraria lucis:
aurum omnes victa iam pietate colunt.
-Propertius, Elegies III.XIII:47-48

Ἀπ' ὃσα ἒκαμα κι ἀπ’ ὃσα εἶπα
νὰ μὴ ζητήσουνε νὰ βροῦν ποιός ἢμουν
-C.P Cavafy

Offline Peter J

• Formerly PJ
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #379 on: July 15, 2015, 07:24:47 PM »

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Offline wgw

• Amateur Liturgical Enthusiast
  • Archon
  • The above Syriac icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Jurisdiction: My spleen is on lease to Sinai.
« Reply #380 on: July 15, 2015, 07:45:08 PM »

Nice Empire Strikes Back reference. 
Antisemitism, racism and prejudicial nationalism should have no place in Orthodoxy.  For to paraphrase  St. Paul, there is neither Jew nor Greek, neither male nor female, slave or freeman, in the Christian Church.

Offline Daedelus1138

• High Elder
« Reply #381 on: July 15, 2015, 08:28:36 PM »

No, that's not true! That's impossible!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 08:36:21 PM by Daedelus1138 »

Offline Peter J

• Formerly PJ
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #382 on: July 17, 2015, 09:09:40 AM »
Try to get a low church Anglican and a high church Anglican in one room and start talking about what Anglicanism is and isn't. You'll be in for a lot of fun.
Okay. I'll narrow it down to High Church.

Even that doesn't say much. You have Anglo-Papalists, who are pretty much only the latter, people who are only in it for the aesthetics and Oxford Movement Anglicans. Since recently there even are "Anglo-Orthodox" who have doubts about the filioque and the penal atonement.

Yeah, Anglo-Papalists and Anglo-Orthodox are probably the most interesting Anglicans ...