OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 07:43:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Biologos Foundation  (Read 725 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: May 04, 2009, 08:20:06 PM »

Introducing the Biologos Foundation:

Dr. Francis Collins established The BioLogos Foundation to engage America’s escalating culture war between science and faith. On one side of the conversation, the “new atheists” argue that science removes the need for God. On the other side, religious fundamentalists argue that the Bible requires us to reject much of modern science. Many scientists, believers, and members of the general public do not find these options attractive.

There is therefore a great need to contribute to the public voice that represents the harmony of science and faith. BioLogos addresses the core themes of science and religion, and emphasizes the compatibility of Christian faith with what science has discovered about the origins of the universe and life.  In order to communicate this message to the general public, The BioLogos Foundation has created BioLogos.org.  

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 11:46:21 PM »

Seems sort of interesting.  I really don't hold a position on evolution and creationism anymore; I kind of stopped caring.  I'm sure at some point that I will have to examine if there is any real friction between the two.  I guess at this point I would classify myself as a non-committed theistic evolutionist.  I have a suspicion that there must be some component of the implications of evolutionary biology that I am missing; that it somehow profoundly undermines the idea that man was especially created in God's image and not an "accident", but I really haven't explored the issues in any depth.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 03:29:05 PM »

THREAD RESURRECTION!

Has anyone read much of Francis Collins' work?  I have thought about grabbing some books by him, but don't want to waste my time if he is going to just rehash the same old stuff as everyone else.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 03:39:51 PM »

I heard a fairly lengthy interview with Francis Collins the other day. I went into it knowing very little about him but having the impression that he was fairly respectable. I went away from the interview thinking that he knew little about science vs. religion and even less about theology/religion. One interview is not much to go on, but it was certainly a let down.

I guess there is still Ken Miller.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 03:45:12 PM »

I heard a fairly lengthy interview with Francis Collins the other day. I went into it knowing very little about him but having the impression that he was fairly respectable. I went away from the interview thinking that he knew little about science vs. religion and even less about theology/religion. One interview is not much to go on, but it was certainly a let down.

I guess there is still Ken Miller.
Where was the interview?  I'd be interested in hearing it.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 03:50:56 PM »

Where was the interview?  I'd be interested in hearing it.

Link. It was about him, btw, that I made my recent comment in the "What are you listening to?" thread about smart people who are out of their depth in other areas. It befuddles me that as good as he might be in certain areas of science, he still finds it perfectly reasonable to be an Evangelical. *shrugs*

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 05:28:47 PM »

THREAD RESURRECTION!

Has anyone read much of Francis Collins' work?  I have thought about grabbing some books by him, but don't want to waste my time if he is going to just rehash the same old stuff as everyone else.
It's pretty standard theistic evolutionist fare. God definitely intervened at the point of creating the cosmos from nothing, and at the appearance of humans; otherwise, natural evolutionary processes can explain general trends in evolution. He also believes in the New Testament miracles, but interprets Genesis non-literally. His "Language of God" ends with an altar call (well, sort of).
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 05:33:22 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 01:40:16 PM »

Fr. Hopko discusses Collins' book, The Language of God, starting at 21:00.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: