OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 04:53:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where do you get your books?  (Read 1078 times) Average Rating: 0
mersch

Faith: converting to orthodoxy, seems to be on hold

« on: May 01, 2009, 09:25:17 PM »

Where is the best store front retailer to get some of the books I've seen recommended.  It seems to me there isn't much available to those of us who like to get our books at the store instead of online. (unless of course, it's catholic or protestant). Yes, I am leery of ordering online,(had my account hacked by someplace in India last year, to a tune  of almost a thousand dollars, it was a mess).  I live in the Kansas City metro area by the way. Use to go to Christian Book and Gift, who had a decent selection but they sold to a baptist book seller, not much luck there. 
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 09:29:34 PM »

Any Orthodox parishes nearby have a bookstore attached?

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 09:40:11 PM »

Where is the best store front retailer to get some of the books I've seen recommended.  It seems to me there isn't much available to those of us who like to get our books at the store instead of online. (unless of course, it's catholic or protestant). Yes, I am leery of ordering online,(had my account hacked by someplace in India last year, to a tune  of almost a thousand dollars, it was a mess).  I live in the Kansas City metro area by the way. Use to go to Christian Book and Gift, who had a decent selection but they sold to a baptist book seller, not much luck there.

I live in Kansas City as well!  Welcome to the forum!  Please come and visit our bookstore at St. Mary of Egypt Orthodox Church:

Desert Wisdom Books
3101 Troost Ave
Kansas City, MO 64109
816-931-4751

The whole bookstore has just been remodeled and opened after Pascha.  I think you will be very impressed by the selection!  Call ahead to check on the hours of the store, but I know that it is open almost everyday of the week and is usually run by one of our resident nuns.

Where have you been attending services?  I noticed that your jurisdiction is the OCA, so I'm going to guess you're attending Holy Trinity?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 09:42:59 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 11:28:52 PM »

I live in Kansas City as well!  Welcome to the forum!  Please come and visit our bookstore at St. Mary of Egypt Orthodox Church:

Desert Wisdom Books
3101 Troost Ave
Kansas City, MO 64109
816-931-4751

The whole bookstore has just been remodeled and opened after Pascha.  I think you will be very impressed by the selection!  Call ahead to check on the hours of the store, but I know that it is open almost everyday of the week and is usually run by one of our resident nuns.

Where have you been attending services?  I noticed that your jurisdiction is the OCA, so I'm going to guess you're attending Holy Trinity?

I've heard and read a lot of wonderful things about St. Mary's and Fr. Altchul (sp?)!  If I lived up by KC, I would definitely attend St. Mary's. 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 11:47:09 PM »

I've heard and read a lot of wonderful things about St. Mary's and Fr. Altchul (sp?)!  If I lived up by KC, I would definitely attend St. Mary's.

Father Paisius Altschul is definitely a wonderful man.  He gives everything he has to those around him, often working himself to sickness.  I am blessed to have him instructing me in the faith.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 11:47:32 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
mersch

Faith: converting to orthodoxy, seems to be on hold

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 04:13:30 PM »

Desert Wisdom Books
3101 Troost Ave
Kansas City, MO 64109
816-931-4751

[/quote]

Thanks, that's great.  Wednesdays we're at the broadway medical building office by St Luke's Hosp. Usually I don't start till 11am, so that's very close!!!!!  ( I work for a urologist 3 days a week).  I've been on call every Sunday since I've met with Fr. Tim at Holy Trinity, I'm getting SO dejected.  Sad But I'm off this weekend Smiley  I work 2 jobs.) Isn't there an outreach program of some sort there?  Now that you've mentioned the book store, I remember one of our patients mentioning it. Maybe I'm mistaken.
Tags: bookstore 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: