OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 11:57:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Article on Augustne  (Read 1254 times) Average Rating: 0
truthstalker

Faith: Evangelical Presbyterian

« on: April 12, 2009, 04:48:08 PM »

Jonathan, in his kindness, furnished the following link:

http://www.stmaryscopticorthodox.ca/content/articles/fathers/1007.pdf

This thread is to discuss the article, which I read with my mouth open, and not because of a stuffed up nose (which I don't have, thank you for asking).  I would like someone to rise to Augustine's defense. I tend to think the author was too kind to Augustine in discussing some of his works.  The same assertions regarding lust, for example, are present in his writings on virginity, the good of marriage, and widowhood. He gets an "F" on his understanding of marriage in my book.  This tears a huge hole in any possible acceptance of Catholicism for me, one reason I am looking at Orthodoxy.

Why didn't A. know about the Councils of Nicea and Constantinople, or about the writings on the Holy Spirit? He did read some Greek, and there were people running around translating things.  That he didn't bother looking into the eastern works on the Trinity, when spending most of his life working on that work, is worse than embarrassing.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 04:04:15 AM »

He read Greek? I do not think so. In fact he nearly loathed it reading what little he did of earlier fathers in Latin translation only.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 09:42:36 AM »

He read Greek? I do not think so. In fact he nearly loathed it reading what little he did of earlier fathers in Latin translation only.

He did study it in school a little bit, but had a lot of difficulty with it (cf. Confessions, Book II). 

We must keep in mind that there was no instant translation machine back then.  Augustine worked with what he had.  However, I do believe that there were Latin translations of the canons of Nicaea  circulating at the time of his writing period (c. 390-430 A.D.).

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 10:44:12 AM »

Yeah, my instant translation machine involved a few years of real effort without any machine...and still continues.

He didn't work very hard.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
truthstalker

Faith: Evangelical Presbyterian

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 10:37:38 PM »

He did study it in school a little bit, but had a lot of difficulty with it (cf. Confessions, Book II). 

We must keep in mind that there was no instant translation machine back then.  Augustine worked with what he had.  However, I do believe that there were Latin translations of the canons of Nicaea  circulating at the time of his writing period (c. 390-430 A.D.).

There must have been. Absolutely. And for a premier scholar and bishop to miss this...."shudder."

I think he had some competence in Greek, but also realized he was not competent enough to read Greek theological works.  But he seems to have done little research, as it either unaware of the Eastern work or bypassing it in favor of his own cogitations. Distances were much greater back then, and news traveled slowly, but still...
Tags: Augustine 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: