OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 28, 2014, 07:05:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Family Tree of Abrahamic Faiths/Religions according to Orthodox (Need Help)  (Read 16730 times) Average Rating: 0
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: April 29, 2009, 01:33:08 PM »

I've been wanting to do this for a while (I don't know why). But after seeing the general timeline that is thrown around the Orthodox world of Church history, I felt maybe it could be expanded upon to show the whole family tree of Abrahamic faiths.

What I would like to know, is, according to Eastern Orthodox interpretations of faiths, schisms, links, etc... Would this family tree be correct? If not, what should I correct?

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 02:01:18 PM »

1. No idea why Arianism and Nestorianism are together, they were completely different.
2. No idea  why Byzantine Catholics and Roman Catholics are separated, they are one Church
3. You didn't mark unions between Catholics and OOs and Nestorians.
4. There aren't modern schisms in EO Church (calendar and anticommunist).

I'd also made One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church line bold to point out that we are the Church Smiley
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 02:02:36 PM by mike » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HG Coptic Bishop Anba Daniel of Sydney

St. Thomas Didymus the Apostle of India

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 02:12:56 PM »

Interesting that every group on your chart except for Oriental Orthodox Christianity has groups breaking away from it.

From an OO perspective, it would be very easy to produce a chart showing how all groups which break away from us end up breaking into pieces themselves.

Can understand why that nice, though somewhat strict, Ethiopian in Melbourne said to me, "Only the Oriental Orthodox are Christian."

Was pleased nonetheless to hear less strict views when this one wasn't about though Cool

...because I was not with you when the Lord came aforetime.
...because I am blind and yet I see.
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 02:21:40 PM »

You forgot Baha'ism. Not to mention the Bogomils, Sethians, and other "interesting" groups. Shocked

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 02:38:29 PM »

I didn't include a lot of movements because of how many there are and how little space I have to work with.

I also didn't include any breakaway groups from Oriental Orthodoxy because I don't know much about it's history, other than the fact that they broke away at Chalcedon.

Arianism and Nestorianism are together more for the sake so that Islam can be shown that it borrowed ideas from both. They aren't a single movement, but I wanted to show Islam's relation to it. That part can change though.

I didn't mark a lot of unions because of the way I had to organize the tree. I wanted to put Islam so it could connect with both Judaism and Arianism/Nestorianism.
I wanted Roman Catholicism to connect to Protestantism and also show the union groups between EO and RC.

Also, with the EO Church, modern schisms are also somewhat small. I could probably include the Old Calendar schism, but not many others since the Old Believer schism is also there.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 07:05:09 PM »

Is this better?

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 08:47:35 PM »

I'm not sure I would put Rastafari as a split off from the OO Church.  Sure some of them worship an emperor who was OO, but the Rastafari movement was not founded by OO's, nor did it split off from the Ethiopian Church, or any other OO Church.  I believe its founders were men who had been Protestant, but never Ethiopian Orthodox, or members of any other OO Church.

88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 09:47:23 PM »

Ah, I had always thought the Rastafari religion had been an offshoot of OO. Maybe I just got it mixed up because of Bob Marley...
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 10:13:13 PM »

Ah, I had always thought the Rastafari religion had been an offshoot of OO. Maybe I just got it mixed up because of Bob Marley...

It's a syncretist "new age" movement...

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 10:42:22 PM »

It was initially inspired a lot by Marcus Garvey, who himself, I believe, grew up Anglican in Jamaica; so maybe we can say that Rastafarianism is partly an off-shoot of the Church of England, partly an off-shoot of an Afro-Jamaican reading of Jewish scripture and messianism.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 10:45:12 PM »

It was initially inspired a lot by Marcus Garvey, who himself, I believe, grew up Anglican in Jamaica; so maybe we can say that Rastafarianism is partly an off-shoot of the Church of England, partly an off-shoot of an Afro-Jamaican reading of Jewish scripture and messianism.

*blinks*

aka. a syncretist, new age movement?? Tongue

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 11:04:00 PM »

I'm not sure I would put Rastafari as a split off from the OO Church.  Sure some of them worship an emperor who was OO, but the Rastafari movement was not founded by OO's, nor did it split off from the Ethiopian Church, or any other OO Church.  I believe its founders were men who had been Protestant, but never Ethiopian Orthodox, or members of any other OO Church.

You are mostly correct here Salpy. The Rastafari faith was in no way an offshoot of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church. First of all, to clarify, Rastafari is better understood as a movement or a faith rather than a religion. Although for the sake of legal rights (such as Rastafarians in prison), "Rastafarianism" has been recognized in some places an official religion. But all true Rastas eschew the term "Rastafarianism," because Rastas seek to promote unity and avoid divisive practices such as politics and organized religion which they view as "ism /schism."

Undoubtedly, the Rastafari movement was heavily influenced by the Revivalism that saturated Jamaica. This explains the Rastas love for the Holy Bible, the apocalyptic view of "Babylon," and the heavy moral and fundamentalist strains that permeate the Rasta consciousness. (All of these things, by the way, are what led me to embrace the Rasta lifestyle years ago.)

The EOTC holds a unique place in the eyes of Rastafarians. Most Rastas were not aware of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church until His Majesty Emperor Haile Selassie sent Archbishop Yesehaq to Jamaica to proclaim the ancient and true Christian Faith among those who were erroneously worshiping the Emperor as Christ Himself.

Many Rastas immedialtey embraced the Faith of His Majesty, and they were baptized by Abuna Yesehaq into the Orthodox Church. But many Rastas also rebelled against what they felt was the intrusion of yet another organized religion upon their sacred beliefs and way of life. Abuna Yesehaq was wise enough to understand the roots of this legitimate fear and reaction, and patiently showed these Rastas that he in no way wanted to undermine their sacred way of life or their holy traditions.

Some Rastas dsired to be baptized, but demanded that the Archbishop baptize them in Haile Selassie's name. Of course, Archbishop Yesehaq explained that this was not possible, and this angered a lot of the Rastas. Peter Tosh, who was one of the original Wailers, did not like the Church. In fact, he used to perform with an Ethiopian hand Cross and bless the crowd with it like a Priest would do. (A very unorthodox action, but may God bless him still.)

Today there are many Rastafarians who have entered into the EOTC through baptism and profess and strive to practice true Christian doctrine. I myself and one such man. Those of us who are Rastas and also Orthodox Christians believe that to truly follow His Majetsy Haile Selassie's words and example is to embrace the true and ancient Christian Faith of Ethiopia. So, one can be a Rasta and also be an Orthodox Christian. But one does not have to be a Christian to be a Rasta. As I said, Rastafari is best understood as a Movement or Faith, not as a releigion.

So, to address the issue at hand: It is not accurate to say that the Rastafarian movement is an offshoot of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church.

OK. I hope that wasn't too confusing.

Selam 

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 11:07:30 PM »

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that Bob Marley was baptized by Abuna Yesehaq shortly before his passing. He was given the baptismal name of Birhan Selassie, which means "Light of the Trinity." So, do not hesitate to proclaim Bob Marley as our Orthodox brother! The world needs to know!

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 01:37:31 PM »

*blinks*

Well, "New Age" implies significant influences from the Western occultic/magickal traditions (Hermeticism, Gnosticism, Kabbalah) and Asian enlightenment traditions (Yoga, Dhyana, Samadhi), all mixed up and made palatable to middle-class white North ("north of Mexico") Americans.

The use of Ganja by Rastafarians might have some connection to the importation of Asian Indian migrants into Jamaica, but that's about the extent of any direct Asian influence. And Rastafarians don't seem to be all that into practicing magick or doing astrology, so there's minimal occultic or magickal elements there. However, Rastafarians do live in North America, so you may have a point. Wink
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 01:38:36 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 01:52:11 PM »

Is this better?

No, because you still claim Nestorians are "non-Trinitarian."

Also, Gnosticism is not an off-shoot from Christianity. There were numerous Gnostic sects before Christianity came alone, some of these later adopted Christian elements and beliefs after the coming of Christ.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 01:55:13 PM by Orthodox11 » Logged
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 02:14:31 PM »

Hows this? I did a few more changes to it...

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009, 02:42:01 PM »

Also, Gnosticism is not an off-shoot from Christianity. There were numerous Gnostic sects before Christianity came alone, some of these later adopted Christian elements and beliefs after the coming of Christ.

Absolutely right.  It would be better to put Gnosticism as a parallel line with no source on the Judaeo-Christian line, but then a dotted diagonal from the Judaeo-Christian line to the Gnostic one to show that it had adopted Christian principles and ideas.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2009, 03:14:18 PM »

Hows this? I did a few more changes to it...

A lot better. You should perhaps extend the Nestiorian line all the way to the end and point out that it is today known as the Assyrian Church of the East, which also claims "to be the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church...etc." This church also split into two groups - traditionalists and modernists - over the subject of a married patriarchate and use of the Gregorian calendar.

The majority of the Church of the East were united to Rome and became known as Chaldean Catholics (might want another line going back into Catholicism.....same with the Monothelites who are now Maronite Catholics).
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 03:37:53 PM »

edited (removed chart)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 03:40:15 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2009, 03:38:32 PM »

Devin,

On the main line, where you have "Polytheism...... Henotheism.... Monotheism...." you should probably change "Trinity" to "Trinitarian Monotheism."

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2009, 03:39:23 PM »

Ah ok... That does make more sense than just having "Trinity"...
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2009, 03:42:45 PM »

Isn't Islam something more than mix of Arianism and Judaism? I thought it evolved from native Arabic beliefs also.

I like it now Smiley
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 03:43:01 PM by mike » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2009, 04:03:44 PM »

Ah ok... That does make more sense than just having "Trinity"...

More sense, and it's a more accurate description of what we believe; we do not deny "Shema Israel" (Hear, O Israel, your God is One).

Isn't Islam something more than mix of Arianism and Judaism? I thought it evolved from native Arabic beliefs also.

It is, but we're not necessarily looking for a complete tree of influences on each branch; Judaism is the major foundational point for the movement toward Islam, while other factors played into the actual dogmatic beginning.  So, too, was there a realization by Christianity that other people had been expounding truth about the One God without realizing it (ancient Greek philosophers, etc.); we don't include them on the tree because they weren't the major foundation for our faith; Judaism and the coming of Christ was.

---------------------
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2009, 04:03:44 PM »

Yeah it is, that's why I only have dotted lines from Judaism and Arianism.

Latest version:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 04:06:48 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2009, 04:09:04 PM »

Latest version:...

good work, maybe a one more line from EO Church to RC Church (Greek Catholics?)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 04:10:53 PM by mike » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2009, 04:12:44 PM »

Latest version:...

good work, maybe a one more line from EO Church to RC Church (Greek Catholics?)
done (not shown online though)
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2009, 04:18:34 PM »

Also the Druze, Samaritans, Mandaeans

Proverbs 22:7
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2009, 04:19:51 PM »

I like it now Smiley

Islam? Shocked

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2009, 05:01:14 PM »

I like it now Smiley

Islam? Shocked

I think he meant the timeline.  If I'm wrong, I'm sure we'll see an announcement in a few months...

---------------------
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2009, 05:53:53 PM »

Also the Druze, Samaritans, Mandaeans

Bringing in the Druze just opens up a whole can of worms. Shocked

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2009, 06:55:59 PM »

So where do the Pastafarians fit in?
LBK
Moderated
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2009, 07:19:46 PM »

Is this a typo, Alveus, or one of the better puns I've seen lately?  laugh
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2009, 07:47:44 PM »

Many Rastafarians view themselves to be one of the lost tribes of Israel. Some view themselves as the true Israelites. But since Rastafari encompasses a wide set of beliefs, it would be hard to pin down as to what its' specific roots are. But undoubtedly it has its roots in Judaic Faith, and culminates in unique Christian interpretations revolving around Haile Selassie and Ethiopia. Here is my brief chronolgy of its evolution:

-Garden of Eden is in Ethiopia/Africa(Genesis 2:13), thus "Black" man was original man.
-Old Testament Patriarchs and Prophets
-Judaic Law
-Solomon and the Queen of Sheba
-Ark of Covenant comes to Ethiopia
-European enslavement and colonization of Africans for around 400 years parallels Israelite's enslavement in Egypt for 400 years.
-Marcus Garvey (Black Jamaican Catholic radical)prophesies that an African King will arise to liberate Africans at home and abroad.
-Prince Ras Tafari of Ethiopia is crowned by his Orthodox Christian baptismal name "Haile Selassie" which means "Power of the Holy Trinity."
-Many Black people in Jamaica see this historical event as the fulfillment of Marcus Garvey's prophecy. The Rastafarian movement is born when many begin to interpret Haile Selassie's name as evidence of fulfillment of the prophecy of Revelation 5:5.
-Rastafarians begin to proclaim Haile Selassie as Christ in His second coming. They hold to the Levitical law as much as possible, and take the Nazarite vow (thus their dreadlocks and beards, their vegetarian diet, their avoidance of alcohol, and their shunning of tattoos etc.)
-Haile Selassie learns that some people in Jamaica are worshiping him. He is deeply grieved by this and therefore sends Archbishop Yesehaq to Jamaica to teach the true and ancient Orthodox Christian Faith. Many Rastafarians are baptized into the Ethiopian Orthodox Church.
-A Rastafarian named Dr. Vernon Carrington, AKA "Prophet Gad," begins to teach that Haile Seassie is not Christ, but that he represents Christ in His "kingly character." Dr. Carrington starts the "12 Tribes House of Ratafari" which is based on the proper worship of the true Christ of the Holy Bible. Haile Selassie is revered but not worshipped by the 12 Tribes. Prophet Gad teaches that "a chapter a day (of the Bible) keeps the devil away." Today the 12 Tribes comprises the largest group of Rastafarians in the world, many of whom are members of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church. Bob Marley was part of the 12 Tribes.   

OK. That is VERY brief, but I hope it helps.

Selam

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2009, 07:57:34 PM »

If the Rastafari movement were to be included, I would put it on one of the branches coming out of Protestantism, since the founders had been Protestants.  It's founders were not Oriental Orthodox.  Like Gebre Menfes Kidus said, though, it is hard to pin down.

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2009, 09:18:58 PM »

*blinks*

Well, "New Age" implies significant influences from the Western occultic/magickal traditions (Hermeticism, Gnosticism, Kabbalah) and Asian enlightenment traditions (Yoga, Dhyana, Samadhi), all mixed up and made palatable to middle-class white North ("north of Mexico") Americans.

The use of Ganja by Rastafarians might have some connection to the importation of Asian Indian migrants into Jamaica, but that's about the extent of any direct Asian influence. And Rastafarians don't seem to be all that into practicing magick or doing astrology, so there's minimal occultic or magickal elements there. However, Rastafarians do live in North America, so you may have a point. Wink

Rastafari has strong Gnostic influences and the presence of yoga and other Asian religious influences is also present. Besides that, the fact that in one Rastafari religious text, a so-called prophet bites some of his fingers off in a response from "God".....rather occultish I'd say...

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2009, 11:26:48 PM »

Rastafari has strong Gnostic influences and the presence of yoga and other Asian religious influences is also present. Besides that, the fact that in one Rastafari religious text, a so-called prophet bites some of his fingers off in a response from "God".....rather occultish I'd say...

The presence of Gnostic influence is minimal, although it can be found. As for this Rasta text that you mention, I have never heard of this story. Can you give us a reference and a context?

Reasoning with Rastafarians about the Bible can be tricky. On the one hand, Rastas have a deep love and profound knowledge of the Holy Bible. But on the other hand, they are very mistrustful of Eurocentric interpretations and versions of the sacred texts. So when engaging Rastafarians about the Bible, it is good to affirm the Ethiopic canon and the Ethiopic version. But it is also good to point out that Haile Selassie himself said that, "Whatever version or language it may be written, the message of the Bible remains one and the same. For myself, I glory in the Holy Bible." 

Selam

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2009, 12:41:00 AM »

Is this a typo, Alveus, or one of the better puns I've seen lately?  laugh

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2009, 12:50:32 AM »

The presence of Gnostic influence is minimal, although it can be found. As for this Rasta text that you mention, I have never heard of this story. Can you give us a reference and a context?

Reasoning with Rastafarians about the Bible can be tricky. On the one hand, Rastas have a deep love and profound knowledge of the Holy Bible. But on the other hand, they are very mistrustful of Eurocentric interpretations and versions of the sacred texts. So when engaging Rastafarians about the Bible, it is good to affirm the Ethiopic canon and the Ethiopic version. But it is also good to point out that Haile Selassie himself said that, "Whatever version or language it may be written, the message of the Bible remains one and the same. For myself, I glory in the Holy Bible." 

Selam

I would say certainly in some circles the Gnosticism is much much more than just minimal, just as I'm sure you will find Rastas who do not even follow the so-called sacred text which follows:
"And it came to pass on the third Saturday night of the seventh month of the year nineteen hundred and twenty-seven, the word of the Lord came to Athlyi saying, "Tomorrow, thou shalt with thine own blood set apart the Athlyians from the rest of the world's inhabitants, that I may glory in them and nourish them."
I shall send my angels and they shall dwell among the Athlyians and teach them new things. Verily, the women as well as the men shall develop great in science."
"Fear not, because of the inventions of today," saith the Lord, "for greater shall come out of my people, the Athlyians. They shall school Ethiopia. Consequently the sons and daughters of Ham shall be a burning light unto all the earth."
On the next day which was Sunday, while the Shepherd Athlyi preached before the people who came out to Gaathly, the spirit of the Lord came upon him and he then bit the top of his fingers, so that the blood spouted." http://sacred-texts.com/afr/piby/piby18.htm

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2009, 01:11:30 AM »

That's from the "Holy Piby," right?  I know very little about these things.  How widely is it embraced by Rastas as being scripture?  Wasn't it written before the movement really was founded?  Do those who embrace it as scripture put it on the same level as the Bible?

« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 01:27:31 AM by Salpy » Logged

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2009, 01:23:01 AM »

That's from the "Holy Piby," right?  I know very little about these things.  How widely is it embraced by Rastas as being scripture?  Wasn't it written before the movement really was founded?  Do those who embrace it as scripture put it on the same level as the Bible?

It is certainly very popular among certain sections of Rastas (the Bobo Ashanti come to mind). Other sections probably have no idea it exists/have never read it. It was indeed written before formal organization of Rastafari began. Probably amongst those who consider it a holy text, it is probably placed on a similar level to Scripture...

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2009, 02:41:24 AM »

It is certainly very popular among certain sections of Rastas (the Bobo Ashanti come to mind). Other sections probably have no idea it exists/have never read it. It was indeed written before formal organization of Rastafari began. Probably amongst those who consider it a holy text, it is probably placed on a similar level to Scripture...

The Holy Piby (Athlyi Rogers) and The Promised Key (written by Leonard Howell) were both attempts to create an Afro-centric scriptural source that would be the ultimate guide for all Rastafarians. While these writings are respected amongst Rastas that are familiar with them, they have nevertheless failed to replace the authority and position of the Holy Bible amongst most Rastafarians. The Holy Bible (although admittedly interpreted very broadly and in sometimes in very unorhtodox ways) and the words of His Majesty Haile Selassie I remain the paramount sources of authority and guidance for Rastafarians. Of course it may be argued that the Gnostic influence is present in the Rastafarian belief that JAH (God) is inseparable from the Rasta individual, and thus speaks directly to and through that individual. For example, when I confronted a friend of mine who unapologetically worships Haile Selassie with Selassie's own words of Chrisitian affirmation, my friend simply responded by saying, "His Majesty has never told me this himself." To him, the words I read from Haile Selassie had probably been fabricated and erroneously attributed to him by white tricksters who wanted to keep Black people in ignorance about Haile Selassie's true divinity. So, you see, it is a tricky thing to try and argue with Rastafarians. The best thing to do is simply demonstrate a sincere heart and manifest Peace and Love. Act like Christ rather than preaching about Him, and you will be warmly received. 

Selam   

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2009, 08:14:38 AM »

Islam? Shocked

In pre-Islamic Arabia, gods or goddesses were viewed as protectors of individual tribes, their spirits being associated with sacred trees, stones, springs and wells. As well as being the site of an annual pilgrimage, the Kaaba shrine in Mecca housed 360 idol statues of tribal patron deities. Aside from these gods, the Arabs shared a common belief in a supreme deity called Allah (literally "the god"), who was remote from their everyday concerns and thus not the object of cult or ritual.

from wiki

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2009, 08:18:30 AM »

Islam? Shocked

In pre-Islamic Arabia, gods or goddesses were viewed as protectors of individual tribes, their spirits being associated with sacred trees, stones, springs and wells. As well as being the site of an annual pilgrimage, the Kaaba shrine in Mecca housed 360 idol statues of tribal patron deities. Aside from these gods, the Arabs shared a common belief in a supreme deity called Allah (literally "the god"), who was remote from their everyday concerns and thus not the object of cult or ritual.

from wiki

Mike, Isa's comment was to your "I like it now" that came at the end of the post about Islam.

---------------------
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2009, 08:28:38 AM »

Mike, Isa's comment was to your "I like it now" that came at the end of the post about Islam.

lol
It was about 88Devin12's work which really impressed me and I cannot find any bugs now Smiley

I'm neither impressed by nor interested in Islam.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 08:29:58 AM by mike » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2009, 12:52:00 PM »

Here is the chart as it is now...
I didn't continue the line for Samaritans because of the lack of space, also I read that there are only like 700 now so the movement is no longer as strong...

Tags: Rasta Rastafarian Rastafarianism Church history 
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: