OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 09:20:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Richard Dawkins on alien religion  (Read 498 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: February 18, 2014, 03:53:01 PM »

Dawkins tweets: "If we ever talk to aliens, their civilisation will be far more advanced than ours (because of distances involved). They won't be religious!"

Stick to science, dude.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 04:29:35 PM »

Dawkins tweets: "If we ever talk to aliens, their civilisation will be far more advanced than ours (because of distances involved). They won't be religious!"

Stick to science, dude.

Jetavan, you know I meant it as a compliment when I referred to you as my organic RSS aggregator or whatever I called you?

My favorites are when you append them to threads last bumped three years prior.

I am not kidding when I say I thought Dawkins was dead. I think his tweet served its purpose.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 04:39:39 PM »

I am not kidding when I say I thought Dawkins was dead. I think his tweet served its purpose.

I thought he died too.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 05:02:08 PM »

Stick to science, dude.

Jetavan, you know I meant it as a compliment when I referred to you as my organic RSS aggregator or whatever I called you?
I'm actually silicon-based.

My favorites are when you append them to threads last bumped three years prior.

Dawkins reminds of T. H. Huxley, Darwin's 'bulldog'. If things continue as they are, Dawkin's grandson will write a book on mysticism and the perennial philosophy.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: The Church of Alexandria

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 07:59:52 PM »

The fact that his message has so many retweets and favorites testifies to the rapid intellectual decay of western society.

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 08:01:55 PM »

Who knows? The aliens would have their own religion, and it would be a task, albeit a worthy one, to try to introduce them to our religion. Although we would have to adapt some of the theology (expand the impact of salvation from humans to sentient humanoids), an Eighth Ecumenical Council would be very helpful in that regard.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 08:31:05 PM »

Who knows? The aliens would have their own religion, and it would be a task, albeit a worthy one, to try to introduce them to our religion. Although we would have to adapt some of the theology (expand the impact of salvation from humans to sentient humanoids), an Eighth Ecumenical Council would be very helpful in that regard.
Jesus did say to preach the gospel to every creature (or all creation) (Mk 16:15); so if these aliens are "creatures" or created by God, then they're already covered.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 08:31:51 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Valekhai

Faith: atheist

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 09:38:40 PM »

Dawkins was among the first people I followed on Twitter.

He was the first that I unfollowed.
truthseeker32
Elder

Jurisdiction: GOAA- Denver

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 01:37:18 PM »

Walker Percy's Lost in the Cosmos provides much more interesting speculation about what encountering a more advanced alien civilization might be like.
ilyazhito
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 03:35:48 PM »

ON the other hand, angels are rational creatures, and there is a section of the anaphora of St. Basil's Liturgy is "and all creatures of reason and intelligence worship thee." If aliens are rational creatures, then they could be saved if they come to the knowledge of the truth, just like humans. The question would be how to approach them and translate theology into their language and concepts.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 03:53:46 PM »

I wonder what we would do if we encountered a race like the Tamarians from Star Trek.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

look into my lovable alpaca eyes

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 04:42:13 PM »

I thought he died too.

You are possibly thinking of Christopher Hitchens?

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 04:51:35 PM »

I thought he died too.

Perhaps.  I confuse well-known beardless white British men all the time. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

look into my lovable alpaca eyes

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 04:58:32 PM »

I thought he died too.

Perhaps.  I confuse well-known beardless white British men all the time. 

I know. They all look the same to me. Wink

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
Misplaced Book
Don't Mind Me.....

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Constantinople

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 09:15:24 PM »

Can we perhaps expect Professor Dawkins to start appearing on Ancient Aliens?
Rhinosaur
Homo Vivius

Faith: Roman Catholic (Orthodox Inquirer)

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 09:30:05 PM »

Considering that religion is probably genetically wired into the conscience of intelligent life forms, he's probably wrong.  Then again, the only sentient being we know of is us (though chimpanzees have exhibited what might be a primitive form of spirituality).
ilyazhito
High Elder

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 05:05:52 PM »

How do chimpanzees express spirituality? IS SACRILEGE!
Rhinosaur
Homo Vivius

Faith: Roman Catholic (Orthodox Inquirer)

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2014, 05:22:45 PM »

How do chimpanzees express spirituality? IS SACRILEGE!

http://www.janegoodall.org/chimp-central-waterfall-displays

In my time at Gombe I witnessed an average of 2 to 3 waterfall displays and rain dances per year. They ranged from single individual solitary events to a single individual participant within a social group, to multiple participant events. The displays I witnessed were performed by males of all age groups. Rarely have I seen adolescents or infants displaying in and around adult males, but it does occasionally happen. The displays are prolonged, lasting as long as 5 minutes, sometimes more. Aggression is occasionally an element of the display, but usually the event continues long after the subordinates have moved away. My feeling is that dominance plays a secondary role (if any) in most of this type of display. Rain dances are performed more often toward the beginning of the rainy season. I do not have a sense of seasonality in relation to waterfall displays.

I have discussed these displays at length with Dr. Goodall over the years. One of the most interesting and scrutinized events I recorded on video was a waterfall display performed by the alpha at the time, Freud. Freud began his display with typical rhythmic and deliberate swaying and swinging on vines. For minutes he swung over and across the 8-foot to 12-foot falls. At one point, Freud stood at the top of the falls dipping his hand into the stream and rolling rocks one at a time down the face of the waterfall. Finally, he displayed (slowly, on vines) down the falls and settled on a rock about 30 feet downstream. He relaxed, then turned to the falls and stared at it for many minutes. It was one of those times that I would give body parts to know what was going through a chimp's mind. Dr. Goodall and I have seen several events in which the participants seemed to ponder or consider the natural event to which they were reacting.

Here's the video:
http://vimeo.com/18404370

Chimps appear to ritualistically 'dance' in the face of  forest blazes indicating they are able to understand and even control fire, say researchers.

Scientists believe this observation could shed light on a key moment in man's evolution in that it shows when our ancestors first controlled fire.

The study found that instead of running away from a blaze, the chimps watched it very carefully and showed no signs of fear. The alpha male was even observed making a display or dance while looking at the flames.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1243693/Fire-dancing-chimps-shed-light-mans-evolution.html#ixzz2tzmZlyTX
 Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: