OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 09:48:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Living Together and Not Being Married...?  (Read 10821 times) Average Rating: 0
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« on: April 28, 2009, 09:03:07 AM »

In another thread:  "Two Questions on Marriage" http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,20925.0/topicseen.html

Someone brought up the question as to whether or not it is OK for people to live together pre-marriage.  Usually the gut answer is NO, but maybe it is a little bit more nuanced than that. 

For example, what if the couple is not having pre-marital intimate relations (sex or other physical relations).  What if they are just living in the same space in order to better financially support themselves, and build a future together? 

I believe that some on the forum would say something like: "it is too great a temptation and should be avoided"

But then what about College Dorms and orthodox youth who go to college?  Yes colleges are usually a cesspool for bad behavior, but the set-up is the same, and the church does not have any real prohibitions against kids living in college dorms. 

To that point, though, I know that the OCF at University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign) has an Orthodox House/Dormitory where orthodox students can live in a safe and orthodox environment.  Maybe this is the church's answer to this...

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 09:18:29 AM »

I live with my fiance and wouldn't have dreamed of agreeing to marry her without knowing how we operate on a day to day basis. So far, so good. Smiley

edit: I guess that doesn't really address your question at all though.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 09:25:01 AM by Bogoliubtsy » Logged

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 09:26:24 AM »

I live with my fiance and wouldn't have dreamed of agreeing to marry her without knowing how we operate on a day to day basis. So far, so good. Smiley
How does your Priest feel about this situation?
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 09:29:40 AM »

How does your Priest feel about this situation?

He's not the one who's going to marry her.

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 09:30:31 AM »

Evading? Seriously, what does he think about this situation?
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 09:34:40 AM »

Evading? Seriously, what does he think about this situation?

Well, my parish life is another story. But, really, he's never asked and I've never thought it important to bring it up. From certain conversations though, it seem pretty apparent to me that he does know.

FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 09:35:25 AM »

Let's not forget that this situation is not exclusive to young adults. Middle aged and older adults are also increasingly cohabiting for a variety of reasons, such as:

-marrying would cause a significant problem among one or both of the couple's child(ren);
-marrying would affect their Social Security or retirement benefits (naturally, I'm only speaking of the US); or
-marrying would require new legal burdens such as updating wills, real estate deeds, etc.

So we cannot just assume that this problem is present only among the young. I used to regularly visit a home for older adults, and in talking with the residents I really think  just as much if not more is going on there than in a dorm.

In the past, I have had to recommend that if the temptation is too great, maybe the couple should consider not living together, but even then that's not a guarantee of non-intimate conduct between the two. Ultimately it resides with what is important to the couple, and where they draw the line in their own lives. We can only pray that their behavior leads to their salvation, and that the Lord have mercy on us all.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 09:40:05 AM »

Well, my parish life is another story. But, really, he's never asked and I've never thought it important to bring it up. From certain conversations though, it seem pretty apparent to me that he does know.
So he does, or he doesn't?
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 09:43:19 AM »

The interesting thing is that the statistics demonstrate that those who cohabitate before marriage are much more likely to get divorced.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 09:45:55 AM »

The interesting thing is that the statistics demonstrate that those who cohabitate before marriage are much more likely to get divorced.

Good thing I'm not a statistic. I come to this situation with my own set of questions/baggage about marriage and would not approach it in any other way.

Also, much of that "evidence" is inconclusive and doesn't take into account a number of variables.

Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 09:46:13 AM »

So he does, or he doesn't?

It hasn't been spoken about, but I think he knows.

PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 09:47:19 AM »

Why haven't you formally talked to him about it?
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 09:48:09 AM »

Good thing I'm not a statistic. I come to this situation with my own set of questions/baggage about marriage and would not approach it in any other way.

Also, much of that "evidence" is inconclusive and doesn't take into account a number of variables.
I am not saying that evidence is conclusive but it does demonstrate trends and I think that these trends tend to demonstrate the direction that human nature generally tends as well.

Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 09:51:01 AM »

Why haven't you formally talked to him about it?

Again, because it's my issue, not his. I'm a grown man capable of weighing the consequences of my actions.

PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 09:52:38 AM »

Again, because it's my issue, not his. I'm a grown man capable of weighing the consequences of my actions.
Really? Really???
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 09:54:04 AM »

Really? Really???

Yes, really.
How, exactly, is a priest more qualified to make decisions about my love life?

PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 09:57:28 AM »

Yes, really.
Is your love life independent of you regular life?
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2009, 09:58:34 AM »

Yes, really.
Is your love life independent of you regular life?

Why are you so interested in my life?

PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 10:00:06 AM »

If you don't want people to question you, why post about your personal life? And you still aren't really answering the question.
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2009, 10:04:56 AM »

If you don't want people to question you, why post about your personal life? And you still aren't really answering the question.

Because I don't owe you an answer to your obviously baited question. I'm two steps ahead of you in your line of questioning.

No, my love life is not separate from my "regular" life. How can it be? It's something I'm engaged in a good portion of my day. It informs decisions I make about how I behave. It forces me to step out of myself, question myself, and negate myself on a regular basis because I LIVE with this person. Because of it my life is immensely enriched. 
If you had had this type of experience in a relationship (i.e. a real relationship), you wouldn't ask if it is separate from my "regular" life.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2009, 10:06:58 AM »

Because I don't owe you an answer to your obviously baited question. I'm two steps ahead of you in your line of questioning.

I think its a valid question. You obviously wanted others to comment on your love life. So you must have expected that others would ask you questions about it.

PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2009, 10:09:31 AM »

No, my love life is not separate from my "regular" life. How can it be? It's something I'm engaged in a good portion of my day. It informs decisions I make about how I behave. It forces me to step out of myself, question myself, and negate myself on a regular basis because I LIVE with this person. Because of it my life is immensely enriched. 
If you had had this type of experience in a relationship (i.e. a real relationship), you wouldn't ask if it is separate from my "regular" life.
Why be insulting? You are now getting angry, and I can only surmise it is because you know what I'm getting at, and you don't want to face it.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2009, 10:10:29 AM »

Why be insulting? You are now getting angry, and I can only surmise it is because you know what I'm getting at, and you don't want to face it.
More than likely he is beginning to understand that living with some one before marriage is really not appropriate for a Christian.

Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2009, 10:11:50 AM »

I'm getting angry because I knew you were implying this whole time that there is something  you believe I should not be doing and that I'm not living up to your idea of a Christian standard. Why beat around the bush with transparent but indirect questions

And now, here it is.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 10:14:50 AM by Bogoliubtsy » Logged

Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2009, 10:12:09 AM »

More than likely he is beginning to understand that living with some one before marriage is really not appropriate for a Christian.

And here we have it again.
You act as if this is the first time I've considered the issue. I have and I'm fine with it. My life is better because of it.  I don't need approval for it.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 10:14:30 AM by Bogoliubtsy » Logged

PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2009, 10:14:37 AM »

Why offer the information? If you don't want people to comment on it, why bring it up?
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2009, 10:15:34 AM »

I'm getting angry because I knew you were implying this whole time that there is something is something you believe I should not be doing and that I'm not living up to your idea of a Christian standard. Why beat around the bush with transparent but indirect questions

And now, here it is.
You may be living the Christian faith very well in other matters. However, I think you know that in this particular matter you are not. Why else would you have started this thread in the first place?

Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2009, 10:19:54 AM »

Why offer the information? If you don't want people to comment on it, why bring it up?

I responded to the OP on the mechanics of living with someone before marriage. My comment, "so far, so good" was my response to his query, even if it was a little vague.
If the questions that followed weren't 1.) from strangers commenting on the most intimate aspect of my life by using generalizations about what they understand to be proper Christian behavior and  2.) from people who have no idea what my relationship is like, I probably would have been more amenable to answering them.

Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2009, 10:20:51 AM »

I'm getting angry because I knew you were implying this whole time that there is something is something you believe I should not be doing and that I'm not living up to your idea of a Christian standard. Why beat around the bush with transparent but indirect questions

And now, here it is.
You may be living the Christian faith very well in other matters. However, I think you know that in this particular matter you are not. Why else would you have started this thread in the first place?

I didn't start the thread.

I think that you know that by virtue of being Roman Catholic you are not living the faith.

PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2009, 10:22:20 AM »

I responded to the OP on the mechanics of living with someone before marriage. My comment, "so far, so good" was my response to his query, even if it was a little vague.
If the questions that followed weren't 1.) from strangers commenting on the most intimate aspect of my life by using generalizations about what they understand to be proper Christian behavior and  2.) from people who have no idea what my relationship is like, I probably would have been more amenable to answering them.
Just say you don't want to answer the question. Now it's my fault somehow that you aren't answering? Come on. Roll Eyes
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2009, 10:23:03 AM »

And now, here it is.

I think that you know that by virtue of being Roman Catholic you are not living the faith.
Insulting again? For no reason? Hmmmmmmmm....
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2009, 10:26:31 AM »

Just say you don't want to answer the question. Now it's my fault somehow that you aren't answering? Come on. Roll Eyes

No, of course it's not your fault.

Here's the thing: I'm fine with the decision I've made. I have no reservations about it being a good idea.
When you began asking about my priest I knew where you were headed and took small offense to it. Do you think I've not thought about this issue?

Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2009, 10:28:27 AM »

And now, here it is.

Insulting again? For no reason? Hmmmmmmmm....

No, it's logical.

Papist has said that by virtue of my actions (about which he knows practically NOTHING), I am not  living as a good Christian.
What is the difference if I say that by virtue of certain actions of his (e.g. praying in a Catholic way), he is not living the Christian faith.

No difference.

PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2009, 10:28:28 AM »

No, of course it's not your fault.

Here's the thing: I'm fine with the decision I've made. I have no reservations about it being a good idea.
When you began asking about my priest I knew where you were headed and took small offense to it. Do you think I've not thought about this issue?
I am sure that you have. I don't wish to offend you, and for that I am sorry, please forgive me. I too know what it is like to be in love. God Bless!
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2009, 10:30:07 AM »

No, it's logical.

Papist has said that by virtue of my actions (about which he knows practically NOTHING), I am not living as a good Christian.
What is the difference if I say that by virtue of certain actions of his (e.g. praying in a Catholic way), he is not living the Christian faith.

No difference.
No you are inferring that from his words. And there is a difference. You are trying to hurt him. He wasn't trying to hurt you.

Big Difference.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2009, 10:30:24 AM »

And now, here it is.

And you are free to that opinion and I am not offended by that opinion at all. That's your religious view point. I know its wrong but neither you're believing differently than me, nor the fact that you are wrong bother me in the least bit.

Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2009, 10:33:47 AM »

No, it's logical.

Papist has said that by virtue of my actions (about which he knows practically NOTHING), I am not living as a good Christian.

No difference.
No you are inferring that from his words. And there is a difference. You are trying to hurt him. He wasn't trying to hurt you.

Big Difference.

I'm not trying to hurt anyone. I am pointing out the fact that based on one ill informed piece of information about me that a stranger (Papist) has discovered on the internet through a 10 line exchange, he has made a comment on the state of my Christian life.

Similarly, it' just as ridiculous for me to comment on the state of his soul based on the same level of information I can gather about him from such a brief exchange (i.e. that he is Catholic).

Ughhh

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2009, 10:34:41 AM »

No, it's logical.

Papist has said that by virtue of my actions (about which he knows practically NOTHING), I am not  living as a good Christian.
I do know something about your actions. You have described them here for us all to read. You have stated that you are living with some one before marriage. This has been rejected as immoral for at least 1900 years of Christian history as immoral. The only conclusion I can draw from this is that in this particular matter you are not living according to the gospel. However, I have no idea what's going on in the rest of your life. In other matters you may be very faithful. I have no idea. But what I do know is what you have posted here.
As I said before, I am not offended in the least bit by your opinion on this matter. In fact, I am not even offended that you are experssing this opinion. I just think its wrong.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2009, 10:36:51 AM »

No, it's logical.

No difference.

Big Difference.

I'm not trying to hurt anyone. I am pointing out the fact that based on one ill informed piece of information about me that a stranger (Papist) has discovered on the internet through a 10 line exchange, he has made a comment on the state of my Christian life.

Similarly, it' just as ridiculous for me to comment on the state of his soul based on the same level of information I can gather about him from such a brief exchange (i.e. that he is Catholic).

Ughhh
Again, if you will read my posts I am only commenting on one issue that you have brought up. I am not commenting on the entirety of your faith experience. I continue to reiterate the fact that you may be doing some very Christian things in other areas of your life. I don't know. I just know that the one thing that you revealed here on this thread is immoral and I think you know that. Otherwise, I don't believe that there would be such a high level of defensiveness in your posts. Again, I am not upset about you disagreeing with me in the least bit.

Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2009, 10:37:20 AM »

No, it's logical.

I do know something about your actions. You have described them here for us all to read. You have stated that you are living with some one before marriage. This has been rejected as immoral for at least 1900 years of Christian history as immoral. The only conclusion I can draw from this is that in this particular matter you are not living according to the gospel. However, I have no idea what's going on in the rest of your life. In other matters you may be very faithful. I have no idea. But what I do know is what you have posted here.
As I said before, I am not offended in the least bit by your opinion on this matter. In fact, I am not even offended that you are experssing this opinion. I just think its wrong.

Where has a council or the fathers condemned pre-marital cohabitation?

PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2009, 10:38:27 AM »

Looking for validation?
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2009, 10:38:33 AM »

No, it's logical.

No difference.

Big Difference.

Ughhh
Again, if you will read my posts I am only commenting on one issue that you have brought up. I am not commenting on the entirety of your faith experience. I continue to reiterate the fact that you may be doing some very Christian things in other areas of your life. I don't know. I just know that the one thing that you revealed here on this thread is immoral and I think you know that. Otherwise, I don't believe that there would be such a high level of defensiveness in your posts. Again, I am not upset about you disagreeing with me in the least bit.

I don't find anything to be immoral about it. It's a great thing.

LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2009, 10:39:15 AM »

:sound of can of worms opening:
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2009, 10:39:41 AM »

No, it's logical.

No difference.

Big Difference.

Ughhh

I don't find anything to be immoral about it. It's a great thing.
The fact that you don't find anything immoral about it does not change the fact that it is immoral. Your subjective view point is not the standard of morality. I would be very concerned if I was an Orthodox Christian and I was not living according to traditional Orthodox ethics.

Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2009, 10:39:46 AM »

Looking for validation?

No, I'm looking for Papist to show how 1900 years of Christian history have condemned pre marital cohabitation.

I feel validated enough in my decision.  Smiley

Tags: marriage cohabitation sex sin PayPal premarital sex fornication 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: