OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 12:34:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: St Peter's restoration  (Read 957 times) Average Rating: 0
Mickey
OC.net guru

Faith: Holy Orthodoxy

« on: April 28, 2009, 08:42:07 AM »

There is a topic on another forum where Roman Catholics are arguing that St Peter's triple affirmation in the Gospel of St John chapter 21 has nothing to do with his triple denial. The RC argument makes the claim that this passage only affirms the supremacy of St Peter and hence his successors.

I would like to hear the Orthodox understanding of this.

Thank you.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 08:58:31 AM »

From the Orthodox vigil for Apostles Peter and Paul:

At Great Vespers, at "Lord, I have cried":

By the triple question, ‘Peter, do you love me?’ Christ set right the triple denial; and so Simon said to him who knows the heart, ‘Lord, you know all things, you understand all things, you know that I love you’. Therefore the Saviour said to him, ‘Shepherd my sheep, shepherd my flock, shepherd my lambs, which I purchased with my own blood to save them. Entreat him, O Apostle, called blessed by God, that his great mercy be given to our souls.

At Matins, from Ode 7 of the canon to Apostle Peter:

The Master, healing your threefold denial before His passion, O Peter, confirmed His love by a threefold divinely-uttered question.

If it's in the Vigil, it's good enough for me.  Smiley
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 09:04:34 AM by LBK » Logged
Mickey
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 09:00:50 AM »

From the Orthodox vigil for Apostles Peter and Paul:

At Great Vespers, at "Lord, I have cried":

By the triple question, ‘Peter, do you love me?’ Christ set right the triple denial; and so Simon said to him who knows the heart, ‘Lord, you know all things, you understand all things, you know that I love you’. Therefore the Saviour said to him, ‘Shepherd my sheep, shepherd my flock, shepherd my lambs, which I purchased with my own blood to save them. Entreat him, O Apostle, called blessed by God, that his great mercy be given to our souls.

At Matins, from Ode 7 of the canon to Apostle Peter:

The Master, healing your threefold denial before His passion, O Peter, confirmed His love by a threefold divinely-uttered question.

If it's in the Vigil, it's good enough for me.

Thank you. I have never read that before.  Smiley
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 09:19:48 AM »

There is a topic on another forum where Roman Catholics are arguing that St Peter's triple affirmation in the Gospel of St John chapter 21 has nothing to do with his triple denial. The RC argument makes the claim that this passage only affirms the supremacy of St Peter and hence his successors.

I would like to hear the Orthodox understanding of this.

Saint John Chrysostom speaks of the triple "Do you love me?" as balancing and cancelling Saint Peter's triple denial in the courtayrd.    Look for his commentary on John 21.  It's bound to be on the Net on CCEL.

The triple "Do you love me?" was actually a moment of shame for Peter and that is why he does not rush in in his usual enthusiastic way and answer "Yes, Lord, I love you more than these."  Instead he replies with a much more subdued, and even kind of plaintive, "Lord, you know that I love you."

Why? Because our Lord is reminding him that at the last supper Peter vainly boasted that he loved Him more than the other Apostles - and yet a few hours later his boast was proven to be empty and he committed an an act of betrayal in the courtyard of the High Priest.

Our Lord's triple question, "Do you love me?" is His compassionate way of cancelling the triple betrayal of Peter at the time of His trial and allowing Peter to redeem himself.  It was His way of restoring Peter to the office of an Apostle, and I imagine that is why it took place in front of the Apostles so that they were aware of Peter's restoration.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 09:50:19 AM »

I don't see why Catholics would deny this triple denialy interpretation. I can see it working along side the fact that Christ had the idea of him being the earthly shepherd of the Church. I am not sure why there need be a dichotomy here.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Mickey
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 10:29:29 AM »

I don't see why Catholics would deny this triple denialy interpretation.
Indeed.
I can see it working along side the fact that Christ had the idea of him being the earthly shepherd of the Church.
All bishops and presbyters are shepherds of their flocks on earth with Christ as the head of the Church.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 10:38:22 AM »

All bishops and presbyters are shepherds of their flocks on earth with Christ as the head of the Church.
Indeed.  Smiley

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: