OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 06:44:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Discussion on Ecumenism  (Read 26843 times) Average Rating: 0
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #360 on: July 14, 2011, 02:21:46 PM »

So, the consensus: Grammarians, not to be trusted?

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #361 on: July 14, 2011, 02:25:18 PM »

Well St Severus also disagreed with Sergius the Grammarian, who was a non-Chacledonian but with incorrect ideas.

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

St. Severus of Antioch, Crown of the Syrians

Partisangirl
« Reply #362 on: July 14, 2011, 02:33:10 PM »

Does anyone think I should just ask FrChris permission to access the private fora even though I haven't even been here for two weeks? I guess it couldn't hurt to try.
So... should I? I just want to get advice from more experienced posters on OC.net so I don't look like a complete fool for asking him prematurely. But, I assume 'one month' means 'one month'. I was just wondering if there were any exceptions.

In solidarity with the "Nasara" (i.e. Christians) of Iraq & Syria

On hiatus from posting. PM me if you wish to contact me. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact

NOTE: Some of my older posts may not reflect my current views
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #363 on: July 14, 2011, 02:34:43 PM »

Well St Severus also disagreed with Sergius the Grammarian, who was a non-Chacledonian but with incorrect ideas.

Ah yes, I think I remember him. Wasn't he the non-Chalcedonian who refused to confess the difference/distinction of Christ's divinity and humanity, thus mixing the two together (I.e. Eutychian heresy).
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 02:36:06 PM by Severian » Logged

On hiatus from posting. PM me if you wish to contact me. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #364 on: July 14, 2011, 02:35:40 PM »

Does anyone think I should just ask FrChris permission to access the private fora even though I haven't even been here for two weeks? I guess it couldn't hurt to try.
So... should I? I just want to get advice from more experienced posters on OC.net so I don't look like a complete fool for asking him prematurely. But, I assume 'one month' means 'one month'. I was just wondering if there were any exceptions.

I heard a story about someone who was here 3 weeks and asked FrChris to join the private fora. FrChris showed up at his house and murdered his entire family.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Father Peter
Archon

Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #365 on: July 14, 2011, 02:37:37 PM »

I wouldn't want to call Sergius the Grammarian a Eutychian, not least because Eutyches didn't say anything like that.

He was a bit out of his depth though, Sergius and Eutyches to be honest. And he was in error.

The letters between St Severus and Sergius are in English and you can purchase them. The translation is very good. It's by Iain Torrance.

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #366 on: July 14, 2011, 02:46:14 PM »

St Severus writes against the Grammarian in one of his major works - Severi Antiocheni liber contra impium Grammaticum

If John of Damascus used him as his source for information about the non-Chalcedonians then he was in error in doing so.
Not quite: as Lang points out, John the Grammarian remained popular among the non-Chalcedonian Syrian Orthodox for a century after St. John of Damascus' repose.  As has been pointed out
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,4996.msg65100.html#msg65100
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,21382.msg323267.html#msg323267
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,37678.msg597072.html#msg597072
the Armenian Church chose Julian of Halicarnassus over Pat. Severus, causing a breach with the non-Chalcedonian Syrian (and Coptic?)Orthodox until the Council of Manzikert in 726 (and apparently keeping Severus off the Armenian Calendar).
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,37678.msg597072.html#msg597072
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=29494.0
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=4996.0
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13141.msg280292.html#msg280292

This is interesting, as it is stated that the Emperor Justianian took to Julianism, and deposed the EP St. Eutychus (who had presided over the Fifth Ecumenical Council, and opposed Julianism and the  Aphthartodocetae) and replaced him with EP St. John Scholasticus, but the emperor died before he could promote Julianism. EP St. John thereupon forged an understanding with the non-Chalcedonians (at least some of them) in 567, briefly reuniting the Church in 571.  I wonder what Julian and Philoponus did to the dynamic between St. John of Damascus and Pat. Severus via the media of the nascent EO and OO.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #367 on: July 14, 2011, 02:47:37 PM »

I heard a story about someone who was here 3 weeks and asked FrChris to join the private fora. FrChris showed up at his house and murdered his entire family.
Putting the disturbing sarcasm aside, do you think I should ask or not?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 02:55:07 PM by Severian » Logged

ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #368 on: July 14, 2011, 02:48:29 PM »

Ask... seek...knock....Someone said that. Cheesy

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #369 on: July 14, 2011, 02:51:22 PM »

So, the consensus: Grammarians, not to be trusted?
Seems like since the nineth century, we've agreed to that.

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #370 on: July 14, 2011, 02:52:37 PM »

I wouldn't want to call Sergius the Grammarian a Eutychian, not least because Eutyches didn't say anything like that.

He was a bit out of his depth though, Sergius and Eutyches to be honest. And he was in error.

The letters between St Severus and Sergius are in English and you can purchase them. The translation is very good. It's by Iain Torrance.
I do realize that there really is no evidence Eutyches really said anything like that. When I speak of "the Eutychian heresy" I am referring to the heresy attributed (falsely?) to him. Eutyches was probably just a confused old man who had no idea what he was talking about. I read that he was hesitant to confess that Christ's humanity was consubstantial with man and yet he confessed him to be "perfect God and perfect man" (for reasons I am not ignorant of).

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #371 on: July 14, 2011, 02:54:23 PM »

Ask... seek...knock....Someone said that. Cheesy
Well, I can't disagree with scripture, so I'll try. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm refused, though.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 02:54:32 PM by Severian » Logged

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #372 on: July 14, 2011, 02:59:55 PM »

Entangled threads
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,24367.45.html

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #373 on: July 14, 2011, 03:09:59 PM »

Well, I asked him. I wouldn't be surprised if I am refused, but anyway...  Undecided

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #374 on: July 14, 2011, 03:22:26 PM »

If it means anything, I am not an ecumenist. I believe that the Church should hold dialogues with schismatics, if anything, just to introduce them to the Orthodox faith and try to bring them back to the fold, but I don't truly expect to reunite with them. The only group I think the Church can unite with without compromising her faith is the Eastern Orthodox Church. She (the EOC) is the only church outside the canonical boundaries of the OOC whose sacraments I recognize. I pray for all schisms to end, but, if we were to reunite with the Protestants and the Latins, they will have to submit themselves to the Orthodox faith. The EOC has faithfully maintained the correct faith despite her schism from the OOC. And it is for that reason I don't mind my hierarchs communing EOs who approach an OO chalice. If I am being arrogant or rude I am sorry. I really am trying to present my view of things as respectfully as I can.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 03:33:02 PM by Severian » Logged

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #375 on: July 14, 2011, 03:46:50 PM »

I never saw the 1 Month warning so I asked at 11 days.  FrChris showed up at my house but no one was home, so he just gave me access.   Wink  Just be polite and respectful and you should be fine, though from the looks of it this is already your habit.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #376 on: July 14, 2011, 03:51:37 PM »

laugh

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #377 on: July 14, 2011, 03:53:01 PM »

Eutyches was probably just a confused old man who had no idea what he was talking about.

laugh

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #378 on: July 14, 2011, 03:53:36 PM »

I never saw the 1 Month warning so I asked at 11 days.  FrChris showed up at my house but no one was home, so he just gave me access.   Wink  Just be polite and respectful and you should be fine, though from the looks of it this is already your habit.
Why, thank you. I do try to be as polite as possible.

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #379 on: July 14, 2011, 04:29:51 PM »

Well, I asked him. I wouldn't be surprised if I am refused, but anyway...  Undecided
Don't worry about it. You can't possibly make yourself look like more of a fool than I have.
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #380 on: July 14, 2011, 04:34:49 PM »

Don't worry about it. You can't possibly make yourself look like more of a fool than I have.
Thanks for your kind words of reassurance. But trust me, both on the internet and in real life, I make a complete fool out of myself, lol.  laugh

Thanks again,
Severian

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #381 on: July 14, 2011, 05:39:01 PM »

What were "Grammarians?"  Were they people who taught grammar to kids in school?  Did they write books about grammar?  If you were a Grammarian, what did you do for a living?

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #382 on: July 14, 2011, 05:42:43 PM »

What were "Grammarians?"  Were they people who taught grammar to kids in school?  Did they write books about grammar?  If you were a Grammarian, what did you do for a living?
Good question actually...

The word grammarian usually describes a grammar teacher. But I'm not sure if Sergius or John fit these descriptions.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 05:49:28 PM by Severian » Logged

FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #383 on: July 14, 2011, 06:47:11 PM »

How did you hear about that event? I thought all the witnesses had 'disappeared'.... Wink

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #384 on: July 14, 2011, 06:51:11 PM »

Well, it is a bit early, but based on your previous posts (very well constructed, displaying examples of thought as well as courtesy)....I'm going to take the chance you will continue in that mode.

You have access to the Private Forums. Use this access for good, and not evil.  Smiley

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #385 on: July 14, 2011, 07:00:57 PM »

Well, it is a bit early, but based on your previous posts (very well constructed, displaying examples of thought as well as courtesy)....I'm going to take the chance you will continue in that mode.

You have access to the Private Forums. Use this access for good, and not evil.  Smiley

I had a feeling you would accept him.  Smiley

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #386 on: July 14, 2011, 07:24:06 PM »

Thanks FrChris.

God bless,
Severian

CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #387 on: August 24, 2011, 10:44:24 AM »

I think I remember St Severus of Antioch condemning John the Grammarian, so we don't follow him. But, one of my posts was moved to the private forum and the moderator of this board, Micha Kalina, was nice enough to warn me without actually placing a green warning label on my account. With that considered, Isa, if you would like to contine this discussion with me let's do it via PMs. I want to respect the moderator's decision.

I think the John the Grammarian that St. Severus wrote against was the Chalcedonian John of Caesarea not John Philoponus.

About the time that Severus was returning to Maiuma from Constantinople in 511, a presbyter and grammarian, John of Caesarea, composed an Apology for the Synod of Chalcedon (CPG 6855), demonstrating a more structured approach to the topic than that found in Nephalius’s work of the same name. Like Nephalius, John was motivated by the neo-Chalcedonian movement; in particular his aim was to reconcile Severus and his party to the Council of Chalcedon, using Cyril as the basis for argument. John’s work is mostly lost to us, but its argument can largely be reconstructed from Severus’s rebuttal of it, provocatively entitled Against the Impious Grammarian, which does not survive complete.

SEVERUS OF ANTIOCH, Pauline Allen and C.T.R.Hayward, Routledge 2004
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 10:54:50 AM by CoptoGeek » Logged

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #388 on: September 20, 2011, 12:37:19 PM »

Some of John the Grammarian's writings seem to have been recently found and analyzed, particularly lectures against Manichaeanism:

http://oxfordpatristics.blogspot.com/2011/04/byard-bennett-john-grammarians-first.html

Byard Bennett, “John the Grammarian’s First and Second Homilies against the Manichaeans: An Early Sixth-Century Christian Neoplatonist on the Problem of Evil”

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Tags: ecumenism Chalcedon 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: