OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 07:47:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Studies link morning sickness with fetal brain development  (Read 3648 times) Average Rating: 0
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« on: April 27, 2009, 05:34:58 PM »

So says this article.  If morning sickness is an indicator that brain development is going well, then I guess that's encouraging... I'll try to keep that in mind next time I'm doubled over in the bathroom.   laugh

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 06:50:59 PM »

It also has a direct correlation to hormonal levels. So the sicker you are, the higher the likelihood that your hormone levels are good. And from my experience the old wives tales about being sicker with one sex than another or that you are ALWAYS sicker with twins are complete bunk. I have been pregnant with twins before and I have been pregnant with boys and girls before. All pregnancies are different so expecting to feel the same way each time is unrealistic. I have bow been (and am) pregnant with three girls and with each one I felt different. And with my son I was sick as a dog, but that is likely due to being on progesterone since he was conceived less than two weeks after a 7 week miscarriage due to low progesterone.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 06:51:48 PM by Quinault » Logged
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 11:42:05 PM »

Great news for my wife (who was sick for practically 54 days straight) & baby; good thing I didn't hear about it back then, though, otherwise I would have made the mistake of sharing this info with her (and would have gotten the "stop being insensitive" smack-upside-the-head).
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 11:42:16 PM by cleveland » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 11:48:11 PM »

My wife will appreciate this!
kmm

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 12:26:43 AM »

bummer - I only had about a week of very minor nausea with each of my kids. I guess it was good for me (especially as a teacher - I know one teacher who had to carry a bucket around with her wherever she was with her students - the students got used to her "asides" to have a  puke), but my kids won't so smart. Mind you, my mother was horrifically ill with both of her pregnancies, and I figure my kids are a lot smarter than my brother and me combined. But then I am their mom and hence a tad biased...
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 09:57:21 AM »

I can't say I put an awful lot of stock into this study, though.  I've known some incredibly intelligent people who just made a lot of bad decisions in life.  I had a friend in high school who was in the gifted program and a prodigy at mathematics and computer science.  He got into drugs and last I saw him, he was working as a cashier at a grocery store.  So even if morning sickness does point to brain development, there's no guarantee those kids are actually going to use their brains.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 10:11:09 AM »

I can't say I put an awful lot of stock into this study, though.  I've known some incredibly intelligent people who just made a lot of bad decisions in life.  I had a friend in high school who was in the gifted program and a prodigy at mathematics and computer science.  He got into drugs and last I saw him, he was working as a cashier at a grocery store.  So even if morning sickness does point to brain development, there's no guarantee those kids are actually going to use their brains.

Oh, of course.  But it is, ahem, possibly reassuring to know that all the days of sickness are not only good, but may also indicate a more positive result (i.e. higher starting IQ) for your child.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 11:32:31 AM »

It also has a direct correlation to hormonal levels. So the sicker you are, the higher the likelihood that your hormone levels are good. And from my experience the old wives tales about being sicker with one sex than another or that you are ALWAYS sicker with twins are complete bunk. I have been pregnant with twins before and I have been pregnant with boys and girls before. All pregnancies are different so expecting to feel the same way each time is unrealistic. I have bow been (and am) pregnant with three girls and with each one I felt different. And with my son I was sick as a dog, but that is likely due to being on progesterone since he was conceived less than two weeks after a 7 week miscarriage due to low progesterone.

I was terribly sick with all my children.  Hospitalized with one, threatened with hospitalization with the other 5.  I have 3 boys, 3 girls... 2 have dyslexia and mild ADD, 1 learned to read when he was 4 (practically taught himself)... so we're all over the board here. 
kmm

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 07:55:35 PM »

Now now Cleveland, no gloating... Wink
si2008

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 09:30:13 PM »

Maybe if you have a higher starting level of hormones you won't be as sick when the mother lode of pregnancy hormones floods your body.  I was definitely lucky to avoid the morning sickness, having instead gotten mood swings, depression, heartburn, acid reflux, multiple sinus infections, etc.  Oh, well!  We'll try for a smart one next time.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 11:06:02 PM »

Now now Cleveland, no gloating... Wink

Oh, yeah.... That's what she'd call it.  I'd get a glare for sure! Grin

---------------------
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 11:11:28 PM »

You also have to factor in maternal age as well. I am more worn out and sick this pregnancy at 30 than I was at 23, 26 and 28. I imagine that if we have another child after this (that is up for discussion still) I will be more worn out and sick next time. (Although a great deal of my fatigue is I am sure due to being a single parent of three as opposed to pregnant and working full time).
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 11:13:00 PM by Quinault » Logged
kmm

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 11:35:09 PM »

Cleveland, your wife sounds great - she's got you well trained, for one thing!

Hey Quinault, you're a rather brave soul...

Maybe if you have a higher starting level of hormones you won't be as sick when the mother lode of pregnancy hormones floods your body.  I was definitely lucky to avoid the morning sickness, having instead gotten mood swings, depression, heartburn, acid reflux, multiple sinus infections, etc.  Oh, well!  We'll try for a smart one next time.

I think your theory makes sense - I do get the impression that I have a higher hormonal level than normal. But, other than the heartburn, I really enjoy being pregnant (I'm just so darned happy and mellow, and look my very best, albeit heavier), although the mood swings etc. and general nastiness do happen once I wean the babies. Mind you, the second pregnancy wasn't quite as enjoyable, but probably because I was raising a toddler and working 60+hours per week. My doctor says my body loves being pregnant. I am really lucky in that regard. Unfortunately, I won't likely have another pregnancy; life circumstances won't probably won't allow it (for one thing, as much as I like pregnancy, it is exhausting; I cannot handle being pregnant again working as I do with 2 kids - I think I would completely lose it and everyone around me would suffer. And, in a few short years I'll probably be too old anyway).

Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 11:58:51 PM »

I actually enjoy pregnancy a great deal. The idea that this will be my last makes me quite sad. Even being sick is something i enjoy. I think that is associated with the loses we have gone thru. Being sick makes me feel like the pregnancy will "stick" more. But I have been pregnant and/or nursing for all but about 2 months of the last 7.5 years. My eldest weaned 2 months before I was pregnant with her sister. Then my second child weaned 6 months into my pregnancy with my son. And finally my son just weaned 6 months into my current pregnancy. So I haven't had the hormonal letdown of weaning. I will likely be experiencing this once this child is weaned. My husband doesn't want to have anymore kids after this for financial reasons. We will see what there is in store for us in the years to come. We aren't making any "permanent" decisions on family planning at this moment. But if there was a way to afford to have more kids and maintain the current very moderate standard of living we have there is a good chance we would. And of course we would need a bigger house! I know you CAN have more than 4 kids in a 3 bedroom house, but we don't want to try Wink
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 11:59:58 PM by Quinault » Logged
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009, 02:03:51 PM »

It's because of the horrible morning sickness that I haven't enjoyed pregnancy.  Feeling exhausted wasn't fun but it was bearable and the mood swings aren't too bad but being sick all day, not being able to eat when I'm starving, only being able to eat things that are out of season or grown in Madagascar, throwing up at the smell or thought of various foods... ugh.  I'll take labor over that any day.

PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2009, 04:40:30 PM »

It's because of the horrible morning sickness that I haven't enjoyed pregnancy.  Feeling exhausted wasn't fun but it was bearable and the mood swings aren't too bad but being sick all day, not being able to eat when I'm starving, only being able to eat things that are out of season or grown in Madagascar, throwing up at the smell or thought of various foods... ugh.  I'll take labor over that any day.

I'm exactly the same way.  I hate pregnancies... I was barfing the day my youngest was born... not a pretty picture ya'll.  Definitely no pregnancy glow with me.  I love giving birth... all of them out of the hospital.  It is the most wonderful, empowering experience.

Quinault - I know that bittersweetness.  Cherish every moment.  With my pregnancy sicknesses I knew my 6th was my last too.  We still toyed with another one after he was born, but by then hubby was closing in on 50 and I just didn't think it would be fair to put the family through another "mommy is barfing all day" pregnancy.  It was hard to say goodbye to that chapter in my life.  I love having nurslings. 
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: