OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 10:44:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Matthew 24:24  (Read 891 times) Average Rating: 0
Chacci

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: April 27, 2009, 02:59:19 PM »

Greetings!

I had a discussion last night with a Reformed tradition Christian - I believe he was Presbyterian.   The main point of the conversation was how the anti-christ could deceive "good" Christians as described in the NKJV translation of Matthew 24:24: "For false christs and false prophets will rise and show great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect. "  To which this reformed Christian disagreed stating that if the Christian was deceived he is not part of the elect - because it is not possible to deceive the elect.  Looking at the NIV translation of this verse, I can see how one could arrive at this conclusion - "For false Christs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and miracles to deceive even the elect—if that were possible".   

So we have on one hand a translation that leaves room for the elect to be deceived and another that leaves no room for such a deception.  I am no Greek expert - but my amateur translation of "εγερθησονται γαρ ψευδοχριστοι και ψευδοπροφηται και δωσουσιν σημεια μεγαλα και τερατα ωστε πλανασθαι ει δυνατον και τους εκλεκτους" aligns more with the first rather than the latter.  Any Greek experts out there that can help understand what I am missing with the NIV translation?   Or is this a plain and simple case of incorporating theology into the translation?

In the risen Christ,
Chacci
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 03:01:06 PM by Chacci » Logged
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 03:15:16 PM »

Or is this a plain and simple case of incorporating theology into the translation?

Yes.  Why just have the text when you can manipulate to mean what you want it to mean?  The conditional ει simply means "if" and there is no subjunctive or optative verb after  δυνατον to indicate a future less vivid conditional phrase.  The best translation is as you rendered it originally, "if possible."

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Chacci

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 03:44:40 PM »

Thanks Samandrius! 
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: