OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 15, 2014, 05:58:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Russian Orthodox "War" on Catholics?  (Read 1722 times) Average Rating: 0
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: April 25, 2009, 12:49:35 PM »

Someone posted a video a while ago about a "war" between the Russian Orthodox and the Pope's decision to divide Russia into Catholic diocese in 2008.  Did this actually happen, and what the heck was Pope Benedict XVI thinking if he really wants to improve relations with the Orthodox?  The video shows that the bishops of the new diocese were expelled from the country by Vladimir Putin per the Patriarch's request, and paints a grim picture of Russia.

I don't really care too much either way, I was just wondering how difficult things are for Catholics in Russia, and whether or not they were really proselytizing as they are being accused of.

Here's the video, by the way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7esUOmVB8U8
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 01:20:33 PM »

I stopped watching before it was halfway done.  I find it to be typical Western propaganda rooted in strict opposition to Orthodoxy. After hearing repeatedly of the Orthodox Church and Patriarch ALEXY II of blessed memory being collaborators with the communist despite NO proof of that, it was assumed that such was the case.

Now, I will certainly grant that Russia is not  a free democratic society.  But the Christianity of Russia has always been Orthodox. It is the Russian Orthodox's Church responsibility and only her responsibility to minister to the spiritual needs of the people. 

Benedict XVI will say one thing with his mouth and do another thing.  He should do the right thing and disband the dioceses.  Creating more dioceses will only create more tension.  If the Russian catholics love their catholicism that much, they can move.  Russia is Orthodox.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 01:38:39 PM »

I stopped watching before it was halfway done.  I find it to be typical Western propaganda rooted in strict opposition to Orthodoxy. After hearing repeatedly of the Orthodox Church and Patriarch ALEXY II of blessed memory being collaborators with the communist despite NO proof of that, it was assumed that such was the case.

Now, I will certainly grant that Russia is not  a free democratic society.  But the Christianity of Russia has always been Orthodox. It is the Russian Orthodox's Church responsibility and only her responsibility to minister to the spiritual needs of the people. 

Benedict XVI will say one thing with his mouth and do another thing.  He should do the right thing and disband the dioceses.  Creating more dioceses will only create more tension.  If the Russian catholics love their catholicism that much, they can move.  Russia is Orthodox.
Christ is Risen! and Christod Voskrese!

Well, I wouldn't go that far, I like that the bishops have to work for their flock. But yeah, all about Nazi invasions but nothing about the Teutonic Knights or the forced submission to the Vatican and Latinization at the point of the Szczerbiec
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szczerbiec
split when the Polish king invaded Kievan Rus in support of Svetpolk, murderer of SS. Boris and Gleb, fighting against Yaroslav the Wise.

The epitomy of it was the rather dogmatic statement made as a matter of fact, that the "Catholic Chruch and the Russian Orthodox Church are sisters Churches....virtually identical in theology," and the reference to the Latin bishops as "brother priests" to the Orthodox bishops.  The PoM response to the Horos of the council of Ravenna says otherwise.  Russia has seen what the Vatican has done to the sister Churches of Serbia, Czech Republic etc.  They aren't stupid.
The sound principles of Catholicism, however, were maintained and propagated by the Jesuits who, suppressed by the Holy See and exiled from the Catholic nations, found an asylum and the centre of their future revival in Russia. In 1779 Catharine II invited the Jesuits to exercise their ministry in White Russia, and in 1786 they had in Russia six colleges and 178 members. Their number increased so much that Pius VII re-established their order for Russia, where it returned to life under Father Gruber. In 1801 the society had 262 members, and 347 in 1811. The Jesuits retained a lively gratitude for the hospitality that they had received in Russia, and worked with zeal to convert it to Catholicism.
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/13253a.htm
hasn't changed.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 01:53:22 PM »

I find it to be typical Western propaganda rooted in strict opposition to Orthodoxy. After hearing repeatedly of the Orthodox Church and Patriarch ALEXY II of blessed memory being collaborators with the communist despite NO proof of that, it was assumed that such was the case.

Just so we're clear, I didn't think there was any attempt to be objective in the video.  It is quite obviously propaganda.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 01:55:05 PM »

This attitude reminds me of countries like Saudi Arabia: We demand you give Muslims religious freedom in your country but forget about having it in ours.

How about disbanding the MP dioceses in Western Europe?
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 02:16:06 PM »

I stopped watching before it was halfway done.  I find it to be typical Western propaganda rooted in strict opposition to Orthodoxy.

That's the same reaction I had.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 02:37:02 PM »

This attitude reminds me of countries like Saudi Arabia: We demand you give Muslims religious freedom in your country but forget about having it in ours.

I'll go with that (disbanding MP dioceses) simply because it is an uncanonical position.  However, this would require grants of autonomy or autocephaly neither of which I see in the forseeable future simply because their are only pockets of Orthodox (like a few thousand).  we're not talking hundreds of thousands like there are in Russia.

However, I know of no instances where the Orthodox in Europe are actively trying to convert the populations to Orthodoxy where as the Catholic Hierarchs in Russia are trying to do exactly that.  Why is there a need for four dioceses for a total Catholic population is only 500,000 people? 

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 02:50:45 PM »

Why is there a need for four dioceses for a total Catholic population is only 500,000 people?

And how many diocese are there in the United States for some measly 1,000,000 Orthodox?  Way more than the ratio of the four diocese for 500,000.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 03:03:43 PM »

Why is there a need for four dioceses for a total Catholic population is only 500,000 people?

And how many diocese are there in the United States for some measly 1,000,000 Orthodox?  Way more than the ratio of the four diocese for 500,000.

The Catholic diocese in which I was confirmed has little over 100,000 Catholics.

Russia is a big place---the MP has 2 dioceses in Western Europe, and you could put quite a few Western Europes in one Russia.
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 03:11:56 PM »

True enough.  Of course much of that is due to teh fact that we have no centralized Orthodox administrative authority and divided along jurisdictional lines.  The Catholics, on the other hand, do have that so why the need for more dioceses, especially if most of the Russian Catholics are in relatively the same location and not spread out over a huge geographic area?

Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 04:20:35 PM »

We should also keep in mind that Greece has allowed the Catholics to divide up the whole country into diocese without issue.
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 04:39:40 PM »

How is it that the Catholics are starting to make such inroads in traditional Orthodox countries? The protestants are also doing the same. It's weird seeing all these big Russian protestant churches popping up all over the place in America. It makes you question whether the Orthodox church has become ineffective today in evangelism and apologetics. 

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2009, 05:11:30 PM »

or like the Vatican demanding rights into Orthodox countries, prattling on how "you can be Russian and be Catholic," but in Central and Latin America bemoaning the presences of the Protestants and encouraging restrictions (if not outright persecusion) of them. Witness the sparing by the Peruvian Latin hierarchs in Fujiyama's (who is catholic) election because of the presence of Pentacostal support for him.

Are you speaking for the Protestants too?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2009, 05:19:40 PM »

Or like the Vatican demanding rights into Orthodox countries, prattling on how "you can be Russian and be Catholic," but in Central and Latin America bemoaning the presences of the Protestants and encouraging restrictions (if not outright persecution) of them. Witness the sparing by the Peruvian Latin hierarchs in Fujiyama's (who is Catholic) election because of the presence of Pentecostal support for him.

It's true.  Everyone is really just out for themselves in this mess.  At least Russia is honest about it and calling out the Pope on his games.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2009, 07:23:45 PM »

Absolutely. Catholics in Russia don't deserve to have shepherds of their own.  Roll Eyes

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2009, 07:26:20 PM »

or like the Vatican demanding rights into Orthodox countries, prattling on how "you can be Russian and be Catholic," but in Central and Latin America bemoaning the presences of the Protestants and encouraging restrictions (if not outright persecusion) of them. Witness the sparing by the Peruvian Latin hierarchs in Fujiyama's (who is catholic) election because of the presence of Pentacostal support for him.

You can be Russian and Catholic. Religion need be tied to your race or ethnicity. It should be tied to what you believe is the truth with regard to God's revelation to man.

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2009, 08:07:53 PM »

How is it that the Catholics are starting to make such inroads in traditional Orthodox countries? The protestants are also doing the same. It's weird seeing all these big Russian protestant churches popping up all over the place in America. It makes you question whether the Orthodox church has become ineffective today in evangelism and apologetics. 

The new generation does not like the traditional constraints or structure...

The post Vat II crowd has seen to that on the RC side...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2009, 08:10:56 PM »

In my post above I meant to say that religion need not be tied to one's religion or ethnicity. sorry for the typo. Too late for me to go back and fix it.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2009, 11:57:56 PM »

You can be Russian and Catholic. Religion need be tied to your race or ethnicity. It should be tied to what you believe is the truth with regard to God's revelation to man.

And you can be Polish and Orthodox. In fact, we have a whole Church for you if you are Polish.  But I don't see that in the Vatican's universe.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2009, 12:43:31 AM »

And you can be Polish and Orthodox. In fact, we have a whole Church for you if you are Polish.  But I don't see that in the Vatican's universe.
Or Russian and Catholic, German and Catholic, French and Catholic, Lebonese and Catholic, Japanese and Catholic, Mexican and Catholic, etc, etc, etc, ad infinitum. The Roman Church is not bound up in ethnicities. I doubt that the Orthodox Church is really bound up in ethnicities either. Thus, you can be whatever race or ethinicity you are that should have influence on which Church you choose.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 12:45:28 AM by Papist » Logged

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2009, 01:40:54 AM »

It's quite perplexing that some people are all up in arms about thousands of Catholic Russians but do not pay nearly as much attention to many millions of non-believing or non-practicing Russians.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2009, 01:44:06 AM »

It's quite perplexing that some people are all up in arms about thousands of Catholic Russians but do not pay nearly as much attention to many millions of non-believing or non-practicing Russians.
Exactly!

Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2009, 01:55:53 AM »

An excellent point.  Less power grab; more Gospel of Jesus Christ.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2009, 03:31:15 AM »

What do you have in mind?    What has been the increase in believers and communicants over the last 15 years?  Millions of people.

Since Perestroika in 1991, the Church of Russia has opened 27,000 churches.  It is continuing to open 3 new churches EVERY day!   It has also supplied priests for these churches and many of them also have a full-time deacon.    There is a great outreach to the unchurched.  How else do you think that the mass baptisms of new believers occur in the summer in rivers and ponds?

There is also a great amount of work in society.  Just to give one example - the Diocese of Moscow operates 400 (four hundred) soup kitchens.  They have no qualms about missionary work as they serve up the meals and share them with the indigent.   

So while it may seem to people in the West that the Russian Church in too concerned about Roman Catholics in Russia - let us remember that this is often just the Western media dishing up news which it knows will be interesting.  News about the Russian Church's evangelisation of non-believers doesn't have the same headline appeal.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: