OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 12:24:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite Movies with a Spiritual Theme  (Read 15292 times) Average Rating: 0
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« on: April 25, 2009, 02:12:51 AM »

What are some of your favorite movies that contain a spiritual theme? I'm not talking about religious movies per se, but any movie that you enjoyed because you discerned a spiritual or moral message being portrayed in some way.

Right now I'm watching "Frailty" on TV. I like this movie a lot.

OK. Look forward to reading your responses.

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 02:20:20 AM »

The Lord of the Rings.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 02:35:45 AM »

The Lord of the Rings.

I'm not a fantasy guy, but many people love the Lord of the Rings movies. I'm sure there's some great Christian allegory much like the Narnia movies. I have watched the two recent Narnia movies with my children, and they really love them. And I also enjoyed watching them along with my kids. So my question is this: Do you think that the Lord of the Rings would be good to watch with my children? They are ages 11, 9, and 4, and very bright kids. Is the movie appropriate as far as language/sexuality and such? Will it be over their heads (maybe my 4 year old), or do you think they will understand it. I would like your opinion, and I would be interested in watching it myself if I could do so with my kids.

Thanks.

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 04:01:23 AM »

The Lord of the Rings.

I'm not a fantasy guy, but many people love the Lord of the Rings movies. I'm sure there's some great Christian allegory much like the Narnia movies. I have watched the two recent Narnia movies with my children, and they really love them. And I also enjoyed watching them along with my kids. So my question is this: Do you think that the Lord of the Rings would be good to watch with my children? They are ages 11, 9, and 4, and very bright kids. Is the movie appropriate as far as language/sexuality and such? Will it be over their heads (maybe my 4 year old), or do you think they will understand it. I would like your opinion, and I would be interested in watching it myself if I could do so with my kids.

Thanks.

Selam
Language is practically non-existent in the film, and sexuality doesn't go beyond a kiss between Aragon and Arwen--which is very important to the story. The films earn a PG-13 rating for the scariness of the Ringwraiths and other creatures, and for the two battle scenes. I wouldn't take the four-year-old, but if you think your older kids can handle them, then by all means take them. They're great films, and great stories.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 04:02:47 AM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 04:20:51 AM »

LOTR is pretty good, I must admit. But my favorite movie(s) with a spiritual component are the original Star Wars Trilogy. I doubt George Lucas is Orthodox (never read anything about him actually) but I picked up a spiritual tone that seemed of a kind a Greek would thread into his movies' story.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 04:29:21 AM »

Language is practically non-existent in the film, and sexuality doesn't go beyond a kiss between Aragon and Arwen--which is very important to the story. The films earn a PG-13 rating for the scariness of the Ringwraiths and other creatures, and for the two battle scenes. I wouldn't take the four-year-old, but if you think your older kids can handle them, then by all means take them. They're great films, and great stories.

Thanks. I think I'll rent it soon and watch it with my youths. I bet they'll love it. Sounds like I'll enjoy it as well.

Selam

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 04:34:15 AM »

LOTR is pretty good, I must admit. But my favorite movie(s) with a spiritual component are the original Star Wars Trilogy. I doubt George Lucas is Orthodox (never read anything about him actually) but I picked up a spiritual tone that seemed of a kind a Greek would thread into his movies' story.
I have heard him speak on the subject. He's not Orthodox, and not particularly religious. He was raised Methodist, but leans toward spirituality somewhere between Methodism and Buddhism these days. The spirituality in his films is intentional, but he does not want to limit it to any one religion. And that's all he had to say about that.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 04:37:53 AM »

Of course I enjoyed the Star Wars movies when they came out when I was a child. But now I think they are too New Age.

But I have often believed that you can despise a particular world view and yet love the creativity with which that world view is expressed. I used to be a big David Lynch fan, even though I completely disagreed with the nihilistic worldview that many of his movie portrayed. But a few years ago David Lynch directed a beautifully simple movie called The Straight Story. The movie was rated G (but not a kids movie) and was excellent. It just goes to show that true creativity is able to transcend darkness and despair and reach for the light.

Selam 

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 04:44:37 AM »

I have heard him speak on the subject. He's not Orthodox, and not particularly religious. He was raised Methodist, but leans toward spirituality somewhere between Methodism and Buddhism these days. The spirituality in his films is intentional, but he does not want to limit it to any one religion. And that's all he had to say about that.

I think it was a little too Yin-Yang dualistic. You know, that there are two equal and opposite universal forces vying with one another- light against darkness, good v. evil, etc. But we know that God is supremely bigger than satan and the forces of evil. Our temporal worldly perspective may lead us to believe otherwise- in fact at times it seems that God is no match for the devil. But the history is already written, and thus we know the final outcome. Christ is Risen, and satan has already been defeated.

But that being said, Star Wars is a brilliantly constructed vehicle through which Lucas portrays a widely held belief system in our day and age.

Selam

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 08:42:56 AM »

The Lord of the Rings.

Thanks.

Selam

When the Lord of the Rings movies were first in the theaters, our children were too young to see them in the theater, particularly we decided because having the orcs and ring wraiths on the big screen would be too intense.  We had read the books and The Hobbit to the two older ones and they liked it very much, so it wasn't a matter of the story itself.  As the movies came out on home video we started by showing them the parts with the Hobbits and the the Shire to the 6 and 9 year old.  They loved it, so they got to see more of the movies and since it was on a small screen and at home if it had been too alarming it could be stopped.  Our 3 y.o. didn't care and wasn't interested. 

While the rating is PG-13, there is no crude language, no nudity, no raw sex or any of the more common things that get a film that rating.  There are a few scenes where characters are drinking ale/beer or smoking a pipe.  We don't care about that, but some groups are against that sort of thing in movies.  There are some battle scenes and some dangerous situations for the characters including a death (heroic in battle in the defense of others) of one of the fellowship and the scenes in Moria with the Balrog (which is very well done imo). The orcs and other servants of Sauron are ugly and could be frightening for some small children.  But there are also scenes of great beauty, lovely music and scenery/photography (New Zealand in a starring role).  There is a thread of a love story with Aragorn and Arwen and Sam Gamgee loves Rose Cotton back in the shire but there is nothing crude or crass about either. 

I hope that helps and if you have any questions I'll be happy to answer them.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 08:59:55 AM »

LOTR is a great movie to introduce Christian themes, and I have been working on taking out takes of scenes from the movies to discuss with my older teen youth group, such as:

-The nature and effects of power on people

-The parallels between Smeagol/Deagol and Cain/Abel in the movie.

-Boromir's wrestling with himself, and only understanding the nature of life until he repented (he literally fell flat, and then was brought to his senses). From then he understood it was better for him to give of himself, than to take from others.

It's been interesting enough that I have a group of adults who want to watch the movies and have discussions afterwards. We'll see where that goes, though...sometimes we have troubles actually doing what we want to do.

I really like Ostrog, but maybe that's just me.

But, y'know, you can discuss spiritual themes with Spongebob Squarepants episodes, when you really get down to it! Movies need to have some sort of tension in them, and then you can discuss the spiritual impact of the decisions made by the characters.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 09:09:17 AM »

The Fountain (2006).

Replete with spiritual themes (which are very much open to a plethora of interpretations--from extremely heretical to profoundly Orthodox), and just simply one of the best movies i've ever seen.

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Theophilos78
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2009, 09:19:17 AM »

I might be failing to understand what you mean by "spiritual themes", but I can suggest you the movie I have recently seen: Half-light (starring Demi Moore). If you are interested in horror films, Silent Hill is the first movie I can recommend.

Peace

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
Douglas
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2009, 01:56:04 PM »

Ostrov (The Island): 2007.

Douglas no longer posts on the forum.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2009, 04:33:47 PM »

Personally I would read thru the LOTR books before I show the kids the movies. That is what we do with the Narnia books/movies. Then I can tell what is coming up in the story so that if there is a scary part i can fast forward or cover young eyes.

That said all three of my kids have seen all three LOTR movies and they are much younger than yours; 7, 3 and (in-a-month)2.

I really like the Liam Neeson version of Les Miserables but that is not a movie to watch with children since a major plot point at the beginning involves a rather tragic (and complicated to explain to children) death. The death is absolutely essential to the understanding of the story so to leave that part out is a extreme disservice to the story. This is a great book and movie that touches on forgiveness in particular.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119683/

I enjoy Smoke Signals a great deal. There is a lot to glean from it about family relationships, forgiveness, bitterness and the like. It is typically labeled a "comedy" which is just sick and twisted in my opinion, it is NOT a comedy. It is a great movie with a wonderful soundtrack.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120321/

My husband really likes Black Robe. Again, not a movie to watch with children since there is a sex scene in it. The sex scene is important in that it shows the jarring nature of two cultures colliding but would be too complicated to explain to children very well.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101465/

The Shoes of the Fisherman is a wonderful movie in my opinion that everyone should see. It is essentially a story about the election of a Pope.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063599/

To Kill a Mockingbird- hands down a favorite movie of everyone in our household. My kids beg to watch it. Complicated race issues are covered in wonderful way and opens the door to further discussion. Love and respect are key issues in the story and it would be easy to bring many spiritual elements into the discussion of the movie. I also recommend the book, but not to read to children.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056592/
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 04:39:58 PM by Quinault » Logged
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2009, 04:56:02 PM »

Personally I would read thru the LOTR books before I show the kids the movies. That is what we do with the Narnia books/movies. Then I can tell what is coming up in the story so that if there is a scary part i can fast forward or cover young eyes.

That said all three of my kids have seen all three LOTR movies and they are much younger than yours; 7, 3 and (in-a-month)2.

I really like the Liam Neeson version of Les Miserables but that is not a movie to watch with children since a major plot point at the beginning involves a rather tragic (and complicated to explain to children) death. The death is absolutely essential to the understanding of the story so to leave that part out is a extreme disservice to the story. This is a great book and movie that touches on forgiveness in particular.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119683/

I enjoy Smoke Signals a great deal. There is a lot to glean from it about family relationships, forgiveness, bitterness and the like. It is typically labeled a "comedy" which is just sick and twisted in my opinion, it is NOT a comedy. It is a great movie with a wonderful soundtrack.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120321/

My husband really likes Black Robe. Again, not a movie to watch with children since there is a sex scene in it. The sex scene is important in that it shows the jarring nature of two cultures colliding but would be too complicated to explain to children very well.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101465/

The Shoes of the Fisherman is a wonderful movie in my opinion that everyone should see. It is essentially a story about the election of a Pope.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063599/

To Kill a Mockingbird- hands down a favorite movie of everyone in our household. My kids beg to watch it. Complicated race issues are covered in wonderful way and opens the door to further discussion. Love and respect are key issues in the story and it would be easy to bring many spiritual elements into the discussion of the movie. I also recommend the book, but not to read to children.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056592/

Thanks Quinalt. I really need to see "Shoes of the Fisherman," especially since Anthony Quinn is my favorite actor! I loved "Barrabas," which also starred Anthony Quinn.

I too really liked "Les Miserables" with Liam Neeson. A great movie full of the themes of forgiveness, redemption, and self-sacrifice.

"To Kill a Mockingbird" is another excellent movie. One of Robert Duvall's early roles was in this movie. Wait a minute, now I think Robert Duvall is my favorite actor! Anyway, Duvall and Quinn are at the top of my list for sure.

I like your taste Quinalt. So tell me more about "Smoke Signals" and "Black Robe." I'm unfamiliar with both of these, but they sound interesting.

Selam 

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2009, 09:27:46 PM »

The Lord of the Rings.

Thanks.

Selam
Althoug the work is not a strict allegory (Tolkien hated Allegory), Tolkien did say that it was a Catholic work and the Christian themes are very clear. As for your your children watching it, I think that I would probably not show it to the four year old and maybe not the nine year old. Although there is absolutely NO sex or cursing in the movie, it can be very violent at times and has some frightening images of evil characters.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2009, 09:31:13 PM »

-Boromir's wrestling with himself, and only understanding the nature of life until he repented (he literally fell flat, and then was brought to his senses). From then he understood it was better for him to give of himself, than to take from others.

I really like the fact that in the movie it is the King, Aragorn, who rehabilitiates Boromir. Much like our Saviour.

Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2009, 09:53:28 PM »

Les Miserables with Liam Neeson.....one of my favorites

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2009, 10:08:50 PM »

Well, you should take my recommendations of Black Robe and Smoke Signals with a grain of salt since I have a personal connection with them to some extent so to speak. Most movies with indians in them are far from accurate. (or the "indians" aren't indians at all) We indians are not noble savages, savages or anything like those two categories. I enjoy these movies for the stories that they portray. They are both sad stories that have some hope. Smoke Signals in particular deals with the identity of being indian in a white society and how jarring it is to leave the rez. There is also the issue of masculinity and how the sins of the father can be visited on the son. Sometimes trying your hardest NOT  to be like your parents backfires so completely that you fall into the same traps. The issue of forgiveness is paramount and domestic violence as well as loosing your parents at an early age are addressed. It is a subtle story in that the real "meat" of the story isn't readily apparent and it warrants multiple viewings to really get the story. I wouldn't call it a bad movie to watch with children, we watch it with ours. There isn't any sex, violence or much bad language to speak of. But the story is one that is extremely intense and will strike a child moreso than an adult in my experience. It is a wonderful movie and ends up making me cry everytime. Even my husband ends up crying each time at the ending scene. The music (and lyrics) are absolutely essential to the story and the soundtrack can stand alone easily. You can't find many movies where if you listen to the soundtrack alone you can get the jist of the story-Smoke Signals is one of those movies (so is Wall-E as an aside). There is plenty of humor in the story and that is likely why it ends up being labeled a comedy. You need to know that Sherman Alexie is a gifted writer and speaker and can make you laugh a great deal. But what you are laughing at isn't actually all that funny when it comes down to is. The lead actor (father character to those of you that have seen the movie) looks almost exactly like my biological father and in some ways the story paralells my own life. It is a loose comparison and one that many indians can relate to but it is there; domestic violence and abuse are rampant on indian reservations. Alexie's other movie "The business of Fancydancing" is absolute trash so just avoid it. He has an obvious agenda and pushes it way too hard, so much so that the movie itself is fairly forgettable.

My husband's love of Black Robe is his own. He can see many things in it and we have had quite a few discussions about it but they all fail me at the moment (pregnancy brain is on the fritz). And as he is VERY far away I can't ask him to delve into it all that much for you. I would suggest you rent it if you can (many public libraries will have it) and see what you think. It could be that what we see from our cultural perspective is something you won't be able to see from yours. And trying to give you that perspective is virtually impossible. I do enjoy the movie a great deal. But he has it with him in Afghanistan and I haven't watched it in quite awhile. (he has Smoke Signals as well actually)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 10:20:27 PM by Quinault » Logged
Gkterra
Formerly know as findingfaith

Jurisdiction: GOA

ακραία αμαρτωλός

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2009, 10:11:52 PM »

agreed. stars wars came out when i was 10, and it's one of the few influences in my youth that helped me differentiate between right/wrong, good/bad. having no role models per se.
probably even one of the thing's that kept me from slipping all the way to the dark side so to speak. and allowed me to find my way home.

Even satan himself can appear as an Angel of the Lord, and do good works in His name, to distract you from the path of True Righteousness

Ever notice that just like there is no age limit on stupidity, there is no IQ limit either? kind of explains a lot huh?
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2009, 10:20:05 PM »

Well, you should take my recommendations of Black Robe and Smoke Signals with a grain of salt since I have a personal connection with them to some extent so to speak. Most movies with indians in them are far from accurate. (or the "indians" aren't indians at all) We indians are not noble savages, savages or anything like those two categories. I enjoy these movies for the stories that they portray. They are both sad stories that have some hope. Smoke Signals in particular deals with the identity of being indian in a white society and how jarring it is to leave the rez. It is a subtle story in that regard and warrants multiple viewings to really get the story. The music (and lyrics) are absolutely essential to the story and the soundtrack can stand alone easily. You can't find many movies where if you listen to the soundtrack alone you can get the jist of the story-Smoke Signals is one of those movies (so is Wall-E as an aside). There is plenty of humor in the story and that is likely why it ends up being labeled a comedy. You need to know that Sherman Alexie is a gifted writer and speaker and can make you laugh a great deal. But what you are laughing at isn't actually all that funny when it comes down to is. The lead actor (father character to those of you that have seen the movie) looks almost exactly like my biological father and in some ways the story paralells my own life. It is a loose comparison and one that many indians can relate to but it is there. Alexie's other movie "The business of Fancydancing" is absolute trash so just avoid it. He has an obvious agenda and pushes it way too hard, so much so that the movie itself is fairly forgettable.

My husband's love of Black Robe is his own. He can see many things in it and we have had quite a few discussions about it but they all fail me at the moment (pregnancy brain is on the fritz). And as he is VERY far away I can't ask him to delve into it all that much for you. I would suggest you rent it if you can (many public libraries will have it) and see what you think. It could be that what we see from our cultural perspective is something you won't be able to see from yours. And trying to give you that perspective is virtually impossible. I do enjoy the movie a great deal. But he has it with him in Afghanistan and I haven't watched it in quite awhile.

Wow. Thanks for sharing that. It reminds me that one of my favorite movies of all time is "Dancing With Wolves." I would be interested to know what an Indian/Native American thinks of that movie. I'm not a Kevin Costner fan, but "Dancing With Wolves" brings me to tears every time I see it.

By the way, maybe you help those of us who struggle with political correctness. Is it preferable to use the term "Indian" or "Native American." I use the term "Native American" because I've heard that this is more culturally sensitive, but I notice that you easily use the term "Indian." Perhaps you can help us so that we do not cause any offense.

As for another movie, I have wondered if "Windtalkers" (I think that's the name of the movie) is any good. Have you seen it? Would you recommend it?

Selam

Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2009, 10:27:58 PM »

Windtalkers is pretty darn good but it falls short of the actual real life stories it is gleaned from. I would pick up the books on the real Navajo Codetalkers instead. Although the way that these brave men were treated was horrible, the US military by utilizing them brought their language back from extinction.
http://www.navajocodetalkers.org/

As far as how to address referring to indians goes- it is really up in the air. Some people are really picky about it, others are not. I call myself indigenous indian because I am from tribes that are in my immediate geographic area that I live in.  If I lived in another area farther from here then I would have to come up with something else! Grin Don't get to caught up in being PC, just don't use a racial slur like "red skin" or "rez rat" and you will be fine Smiley There are people that are very picky about it but if you come with a kind heart they will kindly correct you.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 10:36:47 PM by Quinault » Logged
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2009, 11:04:44 PM »

And while I think that the movie dances with wolves has beautiful cinematography and is an interesting story to some extent, it is not in any way an accurate portrayal of Lakota, Pawnee or really any indian tribe. Here is a pretty interesting article on both Dances with Wolves and Smoke Signals;

http://asjournal.zusas.uni-halle.de/106.html

Here is a snippet
  The plot device of having a white woman captive available as interpreter and potential wife for the white protagonist is another rather conventional feature, which links this movie to an old Hollywood tradition. An integration of Dunbar into the Sioux tribe to the extent of miscegenation was seemingly still too daring for Hollywood in 1990. (This does not even materialize in the ‘blood-brothers’-theme in the Winnetou series, in which, in good old Hollywood tradition, Winnetou’s sister Nscho-tschi has to die before she can marry Old Shatterhand.) Clearly, the film is not primarily about Native Americans, but about a white man’s spiritual journey at the end of which he is initiated into being a new, a different, an Indian man. Indeed, although Dunbar has only recently achieved the status of a Sioux warrior, the whole tribe soon depends on him as skillful buffalo hunter and as the most efficient fighter against the hostile Pawnee. In addition, immediately after his first buffalo hunt he turns into a storyteller to whom the whole tribe listens as some sort of celebrity, if not as a leader. Thus, as Shari Huhndorf points out, Dances With Wolves “actually reinforces the racial hierarchies it claims to destabilize, and it thus serves another primary function of going native. Although the film manifests some sympathy toward Indians, its primary cultural work in fact is the regeneration of racial whiteness and European-American society”
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 11:07:31 PM by Quinault » Logged
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2009, 11:11:07 PM »

Windtalkers is pretty darn good but it falls short of the actual real life stories it is gleaned from. I would pick up the books on the real Navajo Codetalkers instead. Although the way that these brave men were treated was horrible, the US military by utilizing them brought their language back from extinction.
http://www.navajocodetalkers.org/

As far as how to address referring to indians goes- it is really up in the air. Some people are really picky about it, others are not. I call myself indigenous indian because I am from tribes that are in my immediate geographic area that I live in.  If I lived in another area farther from here then I would have to come up with something else! Grin Don't get to caught up in being PC, just don't use a racial slur like "red skin" or "rez rat" and you will be fine Smiley There are people that are very picky about it but if you come with a kind heart they will kindly correct you.

Cool. Thanks for clarifying that.

The treatment of Native Americans by this country is sickening to me. It breaks my heart and angers me to see how our government has ostensibly made reparations to the Native Americans by providing them with casinos.

A few years back I was driving across Navajo Nation and was saddened to see such a beautiful landscape inhabited by a culturally decimated people.

But there are certainly hopeful notes to focus upon. A friend of mine wrote a wonderful book about the Hopi Indians of the Grand Canyon. It is called "The Beauty Path." It's not Orthodox, but it is very spiritually uplifting and focuses on certain Native American communities that are fighting to preserve their culture and heritage in a positive and peaceful way. I think you would enjoy it. Here's a link to it for those that may be interested:

http://www.manataka.org/page1994.html 

Selam

Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2009, 12:07:18 AM »

I seldom watch movies, but one that really resonated with me was "Babette's Feast".

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2009, 03:37:53 AM »

I seldom watch movies, but one that really resonated with me was "Babette's Feast".

Excellent Choice Rosehip! I've only seen it twice, but I thoroughly enjoy it. Highly recommended!

Selam

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2009, 03:52:22 AM »

And while I think that the movie dances with wolves has beautiful cinematography and is an interesting story to some extent, it is not in any way an accurate portrayal of Lakota, Pawnee or really any indian tribe. Here is a pretty interesting article on both Dances with Wolves and Smoke Signals;

http://asjournal.zusas.uni-halle.de/106.html

Here is a snippet
  The plot device of having a white woman captive available as interpreter and potential wife for the white protagonist is another rather conventional feature, which links this movie to an old Hollywood tradition. An integration of Dunbar into the Sioux tribe to the extent of miscegenation was seemingly still too daring for Hollywood in 1990. (This does not even materialize in the ‘blood-brothers’-theme in the Winnetou series, in which, in good old Hollywood tradition, Winnetou’s sister Nscho-tschi has to die before she can marry Old Shatterhand.) Clearly, the film is not primarily about Native Americans, but about a white man’s spiritual journey at the end of which he is initiated into being a new, a different, an Indian man. Indeed, although Dunbar has only recently achieved the status of a Sioux warrior, the whole tribe soon depends on him as skillful buffalo hunter and as the most efficient fighter against the hostile Pawnee. In addition, immediately after his first buffalo hunt he turns into a storyteller to whom the whole tribe listens as some sort of celebrity, if not as a leader. Thus, as Shari Huhndorf points out, Dances With Wolves “actually reinforces the racial hierarchies it claims to destabilize, and it thus serves another primary function of going native. Although the film manifests some sympathy toward Indians, its primary cultural work in fact is the regeneration of racial whiteness and European-American society”

I agree with the above assessment. It reminds me of "Cry Freedom" which was a film ostensibly about Steve Biko (portrayed by Denzel Washington), the South African freedom fighter. But the movie unfortunately winds up portraying the white journalist (played by Kevin Kline) as the real hero. But I still love this movie.

Both "Dancing With Wolves" and "Cry Freedom" are entertaining and important movies that draw attention to important cultural and racial issues, but unfortunately the 'white man' is still the protagonist. For those who are truly conscious about such issues, these are good movies to watch. But unfortunately, most people are not discerning enough to see through the underlying racism that permeates "liberal" Hollywood even to this day.

Selam

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2009, 05:27:51 AM »

If you are interested in horror films, Silent Hill is the first movie I can recommend.

Ugh, the video game (upon which the film is based) almost made me wet myself in fright.

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2009, 05:37:28 AM »

Black Robe is very good, but a more spiritually significant alternative is The Mission. It is about Jesuits in 18th-century South America---it has a wonderful cast, including Jeremy Irons, Robert DeNiro, Aidan Quinn and Liam Neeson. It also has the best depiction of penance I have ever seen in a film (I'm not kidding---wait till you see it). No sex in this one, though there is some battle violence (nothing graphic; the movie's only PG!).

One of my favorite films period is A Man for All Seasons, about St. Thomas More. It'll probably go over the 4-year-old's head, but definitely would be a great choice for the older kids (especially if they are bright---the brilliant screenplay has great dialogue).

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2009, 05:47:46 AM »

You might be surprised, but I think Spider-Man II is a wonderful movie and a feast for the spirit. Peter Parker's character has a real pathos here. The film has a number of Christian echoes.

-

If you are seeking good faith-informed reviews of films, decentfilms.com could provide you with some great recommendations.
Theophilos78
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2009, 03:46:56 PM »

If you are interested in horror films, Silent Hill is the first movie I can recommend.

Ugh, the video game (upon which the film is based) almost made me wet myself in fright.

Not familiar with the video game, but the movie was scary enough to make me recommend it.  Grin

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2009, 04:19:41 PM »

I really like the fact that in the movie it is the King, Aragorn, who rehabilitiates Boromir. Much like our Saviour.
I also like the fact that, at least in the books, Aragorn never revealed to Legolas and Gimli what Boromir confessed to him in his dying moments, even though they kinda suspected that Boromir was somehow responsible for driving Frodo away from the Fellowship.  Very much like a sacramental confession, in a way.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2009, 04:44:10 PM »

"God on Trial" set in a concentration camp. It's serialized on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oATX9-2IGfo

Proverbs 22:7
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2009, 04:47:16 PM »

"Ushpizin" is another favourite movie.

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2009, 05:28:01 PM »

I haven't heard of this one. Tell us more!

Selam

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2009, 05:30:01 PM »

Black Robe is very good, but a more spiritually significant alternative is The Mission. It is about Jesuits in 18th-century South America---it has a wonderful cast, including Jeremy Irons, Robert DeNiro, Aidan Quinn and Liam Neeson. It also has the best depiction of penance I have ever seen in a film (I'm not kidding---wait till you see it). No sex in this one, though there is some battle violence (nothing graphic; the movie's only PG!).

One of my favorite films period is A Man for All Seasons, about St. Thomas More. It'll probably go over the 4-year-old's head, but definitely would be a great choice for the older kids (especially if they are bright---the brilliant screenplay has great dialogue).

Yes, these are two great movies. Thanks for bringing them up.

Selam

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2009, 05:54:30 PM »

"The Exorcism of Emily Rose" was very scary and well done. Based on a true story, it raises a perplexing theological question: Would God allow one of His faithful children to be possessed by demons in order that people might become aware of the reality of the spiritual world?

We know the story of Job, whom satan was allowed to torment. And we know that St. Paul wrestled with a "thorn in his flesh" throughout his Christian life. But would God actually allow one of His baptized and obedient children to be possessed by satan or by demons? Personally I don't think so, since I don't believe that the Holy Spirit could dwell in the same house as satan. But I could be wrong. The movie is obviously based on Catholic belief. What does Orthodox opinion say about the matter?

But it's certainly a very intriguing and frighteneing movie.

Selam
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 05:55:14 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2009, 06:48:50 PM »

Selam

This is really an incredible movie, about a Hasidic jewish couple who are unable to have children. It takes place over the holiday of Sukkot and they receive some ex-convicts as guests (ushpizin). These men are quite wild and irreligious and cause the couple considerable grief, but they entertain them anyhow. In the end, their fervent prayers for children are rewarded and the couple is blessed. An amazing film, all about faith and hope. I loved it so much, and highly recommend it to everyone!

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2009, 07:31:29 PM »

Selam

This is really an incredible movie, about a Hasidic jewish couple who are unable to have children. It takes place over the holiday of Sukkot and they receive some ex-convicts as guests (ushpizin). These men are quite wild and irreligious and cause the couple considerable grief, but they entertain them anyhow. In the end, their fervent prayers for children are rewarded and the couple is blessed. An amazing film, all about faith and hope. I loved it so much, and highly recommend it to everyone!

Sounds good. Is it in English?

Selam

Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2009, 07:35:57 PM »

It's been a little while since I watched it, so I can hardly remember. I think it was in hebrew with english subtitles, if I'm not mistaken. It's an Israeli film. Anyhow, the movie was very touching and the themes are applicable for christians too. I hope you will watch it too sometime!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 07:46:33 PM by Rosehip » Logged

Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2009, 09:02:05 PM »

Stigmata (1999)

City of Angels (1998)

Smiley

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2009, 09:45:17 PM »

"BELLA" is a great movie with a strong Pro-Life theme and a powerful message about redemption. The music is great, and it is beautifully filmed. Rosehip, I think you'll like this one a lot.

Selam

Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2009, 09:51:20 PM »

The Thin Red Line (2001) (existential warriors in WW2 South Pacific; violence)

Princess Mononoke (1997) (the human-nature relationship, and divinity; anime violence)

Signs (2002) (the recovery of faith, from an outer-space source; some cursing)

King Arthur [Director's Cut] (2004) (touches on Pelagius and free-will; lots of Saxon-Latin violence)

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2009, 10:55:59 PM »

The Thin Red Line (2001) (existential warriors in WW2 South Pacific; violence)

Princess Mononoke (1997) (the human-nature relationship, and divinity; anime violence)

Signs (2002) (the recovery of faith, from an outer-space source; some cursing)

King Arthur [Director's Cut] (2004) (touches on Pelagius and free-will; lots of Saxon-Latin violence)

I loved "The Thin Red Line." A very underated movie.

I didn't care for "Signs" too much. Haven't seen these others you mentioned.

But as for movies dealing with the UFO phenomena, I liked "Fire In The Sky." The movie is based on the true life stroy of Travis Walton who was supposedly abducted by aliens. This movie really freaked me out!

Selam

Tags: movies 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: