OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 04:02:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Difference between Anglicans and Episcopalians  (Read 4560 times) Average Rating: 0
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« on: April 24, 2009, 06:15:18 AM »

Anglicans or Episcopalians.
What's the difference between these two? I thought that the Episcopalian Church is like an Anglican equivalent to ROCOR: the English Church outside of England.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 07:38:08 AM »

Christ is Risen!
What's the difference between these two? I thought that the Episcopalian Church is like an Anglican equivalent to ROCOR: the English Church outside of England.
LOL! I like it.

Think of the differences between the State Lutheran Church of Finland, and the independent Lutherans.  Something like that.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 07:41:29 AM »

Think of the differences between the State Lutheran Church of Finland, and the independent Lutherans.  Something like that.
So the Anglicans and the Episcopalians are not in communion with each other?

serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 08:27:32 AM »

Christ is Risen!
LOL! I like it.

yah cuz we're all up on finland's local church politics... Roll Eyes Tongue Tongue Tongue

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 08:53:19 AM »

They are (please see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglican_Communion#Provinces_of_the_Anglican_Communion). But there is also the Continuing Anglican movement (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuing_Anglican_movement#List_of_churches), which is not in communion with "Canterbury Anglicans/Episcopalians", and I belive that at least some of Western Rite Orthodox parishes came from this Continuing Anglican branch.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 08:53:32 AM by Michał » Logged
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 09:13:31 AM »

Christ is Risen!

Christ is Risen!
LOL! I like it.

yah cuz we're all up on finland's local church politics... Roll Eyes Tongue Tongue Tongue

Why not?
No, but most posters, unlike Alpo, are where you can observe the difference between the Anglicans and Episcopalians up close, and don't need it explained.

LOL.  No one is safe from communion with the Anglicans/Episcopalians, that is, according to the Anglicans/Episcopalians.

They are (please see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglican_Communion#Provinces_of_the_Anglican_Communion). But there is also the Continuing Anglican movement (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuing_Anglican_movement#List_of_churches), which is not in communion with "Canterbury Anglicans/Episcopalians", and I belive that at least some of Western Rite Orthodox parishes came from this Continuing Anglican branch.
I'd like all those not too infected with the 39 Articles to come to their senses and all become Western Rite Orthodox.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 09:18:03 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 09:41:30 AM »

I do not know what the relationship is between the two Churches mentioned above, so I cannot say if they are similar.  The Episcopal Church (Episcopalians) is the American member of the Anglican Communion which is made up of the various Anglican Churches in different parts of the world, generally by country, though not always.  For example there are two provinces in India: the Church of North India and the Church of South India, but there are separate Churches for Australia, Japan, Canada, the US etc.  A complete list may be found here:
http://www.anglicancommunion.org/tour/index.cfm

All of these Churches are linked to the Church of England by heritage, but they are not under it per se.  The Archbishop of Canterbury is the "first among equals" of the various Primates/Archbishops of the member Churches in the Communion. 

There are other groups, some of whom have split from the Anglican Communion or one of the member Churches and some who have not been part of it who may use the term Anglican.  It can be useful to know the links, as it were.

I hope this explains things. Please feel free to ask questions if I have not been clear.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 09:43:02 AM »

You could always evangelize some local Anglicans or Episcopalians.  Tongue Other than that, I don't have any more suggestions.

I know you used a smilie, but still.... Sigh.
 Undecided

as to the post above my two, if I had one I'd use the emoticon of one raised eyebrow in questioning.

Why?  and one wonders just how much up close observation of Episcopalians and Anglicans has been done besides what gets in the news....

« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 09:46:01 AM by Ebor » Logged

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 09:55:09 PM »

I wouldn't mind at all if the moderators came here and left a large smoking crater.

The thing about being "infected with the 39 articles" is that, in recent years, only the evangelicals have had much truck with them. The old low church faction has been gone for decades, and the others-- liberal, radical leftist, high-and-wide, and A-C -- have no real use for them either, except for "the Bishop of Rome hath no jurisdiction in this realm of England", and that isn't even in the American articles.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 11:26:46 PM »

The Anglican understanding of "in communion" is somewhat different than the Orthodox understanding. Anglicans practice "open communion," which means that any baptized Christian can receive Holy Communion at their services. Agreements of "full communion" like that reached between the US Episcopal Church and the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America are thus more practical than mystical.
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 11:33:34 PM »

Agreements of "full communion" like that reached between the US Episcopal Church and the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America are thus more practical than mystical.

The Nordic Lutheran churches of the Porvoo Communion and the Old Catholic Churches in the Utrecht Union are also in such a "practical communion" with Anglicans/Episcopalians.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 04:12:52 AM »

I hope this explains things. Please feel free to ask questions if I have not been clear.
It clarified things quite well.  Smiley

Actually only puzzling thing was that I associated "Anglican" with the Church(es) in England and "Episcopal" with Churhes within Anglican tradition but outside of England. But it seems that there are also some Churches outside of England which also call themselves Anglicans.

Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 04:51:20 AM »

And the Anglican Church in Scotland calls itself "Episcopal"

Proverbs 22:7
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 07:14:02 AM »

And the Anglican Church in Scotland calls itself "Episcopal"

Scotland's not in England.  Didn't you see "Braveheart?"

Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 09:20:31 AM »

It clarified things quite well.  Smiley

Actually only puzzling thing was that I associated "Anglican" with the Church(es) in England and "Episcopal" with Churhes within Anglican tradition but outside of England. But it seems that there are also some Churches outside of England which also call themselves Anglicans.

Actually, you were not wrong in your associations as that was the case for decades, but the situation has changed somewhat in that .  All of these are part of the worldwide Anglican communion.  Originally, the Episcopal Church of the USA was the sole manifestation of the Anglican Communion in the USA until the Episc. Ch. started radically changing doctrine and moral code.  As already mentioend, there is a movement of Anglicans that are now placed themselves under the jurisdiction of more traditional Anglican primates in Africa (still all in communion with Canterbury).  Thus, you might see "Anglican" Churches here that were originally Episc. Church USA parishes that have now moved under more traditional bishops in Africa.  This is somewhat of a serious "battle" within the Anglican communion for "what is our communion about."   Some are now worried about Canterbury's hesitance to define what the worldwide Anglican Communion is about, and seeking to possibly cut ties with Canterbury and go somewhere else (Rome or Orthodoxy for example, while a few "go on their own" so to speak). 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 09:22:00 AM by FatherHLL » Logged
rwprof
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA now, Antiochian originally

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 11:38:10 AM »

And it's about to get more complex.

"Leaders representing Canadian and US orthodox Anglican jurisdictions approved applications for membership of 28 dioceses and dioceses-in-formation and finalized plans for launching the Anglican Church in North America (ACNA). Twelve Anglican organizations are uniting to form the ACNA.

The ACNA Leadership Council, in addition to accepting these dioceses as constituent members, finalized a draft constitution and a comprehensive set of canons (Church bylaws) for ratification by the provincial assembly. A list of the new dioceses, the constitution and the canons will soon be available at http://www.united-anglicans.org."

Source: http://www.kendallharmon.net/t19/index.php/t19/article/22160/

Mark (rwprof) passed into eternal life on Jan 7, 2010.  May his memory be eternal!
Searching_for_Christ

Faith: Anglo-Catholic inquirer

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 03:45:18 PM »

Anglicans and Episcopalians are all the same (kinda) Smiley

The only reason why the Church in america is called "episcopalian" is because of the revolutionary war (can't be having British Churches don't ya know) however the Episcopalian Church in America is in full communion with the See of Canterbury.  Each Church is autonomous, but in communion with each other, and there really isn't any formalized beliefs.  You can believe almost anything within the Anglican Communion (sadly)  However the biggest issue in the communion is the American Church.  They have gone so far off the beaten path, that they ordain female bishops, active gay bishops, female priests, active gay priests ect.  They are the cause of a lot of schism in America.  You have continuing Anglicans (which are trad anglicans..very Orthodox) and now the newest Church body ACNA (which is what the Church I am looking into is part of) that rejects the Episcopalian Churches over liberalization Smiley 
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 03:48:19 PM »

The only reason why the Church in america is called "episcopalian" is because of the revolutionary war (can't be having British Churches don't ya know) however the Episcopalian Church in America is in full communion with the See of Canterbury.  Each Church is autonomous, but in communion with each other, and there really isn't any formalized beliefs.  You can believe almost anything within the Anglican Communion (sadly)  However the biggest issue in the communion is the American Church.  They have gone so far off the beaten path, that they ordain female bishops, active gay bishops, female priests, active gay priests ect.  They are the cause of a lot of schism in America.  You have continuing Anglicans (which are trad anglicans..very Orthodox) and now the newest Church body ACNA (which is what the Church I am looking into is part of) that rejects the Episcopalian Churches over liberalization Smiley 

Metropolitan JONAH has spoken at ACNA meetings along with other Orthodox Priests. Who knows. They may become Orthodox judging from the applause give to representatives of Orthodoxy.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 03:54:38 PM »

Metropolitan JONAH has spoken at ACNA meetings along with other Orthodox Priests. Who knows. They may become Orthodox judging from the applause give to representatives of Orthodoxy.

How cool would that be Smiley
PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2012, 04:28:51 PM »

the degree of liberalism to which they lean...both politically and religiously.
Keble
Archon

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2012, 05:17:47 PM »

Not a chance. ACNA has a large evangelical core and they have female priests in Pittsburgh.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2012, 05:44:44 PM »

Not a chance. ACNA has a large evangelical core and they have female priests in Pittsburgh.

Well, there a few dioceses that are heavily Anglo-Catholic- Fort Worth comes to mind. I doubt we'd see a whole-scale union with the ACNA any time soon, but (for the OCA at least) the ACNA is the only Anglican entity in America that there is any dialogue with at this time.

FWIW, Metropolitan JONAH's speech is what finally brought me over to Orthodoxy at a time I was debating the merits of remaining with the Episcopalians or going ACNA.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2012, 05:56:48 PM »

they might see that ballast, and bail.

Keble
Archon

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2012, 06:40:11 PM »

Who is this "they"? The Three Catholic Dioceses shared ECUSA with female priests for decades. At this point the Orthodox churches are likely to get only individual priests and parishioners who develop new qualms.
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2012, 07:29:44 PM »

Who is this "they"? The Three Catholic Dioceses shared ECUSA with female priests for decades. At this point the Orthodox churches are likely to get only individual priests and parishioners who develop new qualms.

This is true. I think American Orthodoxy got all the anti-female ordination Anglican mileage we're going to get in 1979. Not that that wasn't some good mileage.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Searching_for_Christ

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2012, 10:00:50 PM »

ACNA allows each Diocese to vote on whether they will allow female Priests, but ACNA does not allow female bishops (ever).

My Church is part of something called an "Arch-deaconry" that all the Churches that don't want female priests are part of..kinda like protection or something.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2012, 10:06:31 PM »

ACNA allows each Diocese to vote on whether they will allow female Priests, but ACNA does not allow female bishops (ever).

My Church is part of something called an "Arch-deaconry" that all the Churches that don't want female priests are part of..kinda like protection or something.

And that Arch-deaconry could go Orthodox if the female priests and their supporters push their way into the episcopacy.
Once a priest, what is to stop female priests and their supporters from asking for consecration to the episcopacy.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Searching_for_Christ

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2012, 10:08:48 PM »

And that Arch-deaconry could go Orthodox if the female priests and their supporters push their way into the episcopacy.
Once a priest, what is to stop female priests and their supporters from asking for consecration to the episcopacy.

Well I can only hope that such a thing doesn't happen (woman pushing for the episcopacy, not going Orthodox)   my Diocese allows female priests, that's why we have the Arch-Deaconry.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2012, 10:17:00 PM »

There already are female Bishops in the Anglican Communion:

Meet Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori, left, and Latin America's first woman bishop, Obispa Sufraganea Nerva Cot Aguilera, right.:

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2012, 10:22:53 PM »

We were talking about the ACNA, not Bishop Katharine's Episcopal group.

And yes, once female priests are allowed, demands for consecrations to the episcopacy will soon follow.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 10:25:54 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
LBK
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2012, 10:58:54 PM »

We were talking about the ACNA, not Bishop Katharine's Episcopal group.

And yes, once female priests are allowed, demands for consecrations to the episcopacy will soon follow.

Demands for female ordinations and consecrations will be futile, as they would be automatically rejected by any sane Orthodox bishop. And, if by some strange circumstance he does approve, his tenure as bishop and clergyman would be sorted out before he could blink.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 10:59:24 PM by LBK » Logged
Searching_for_Christ

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2012, 11:05:55 PM »

I'm sure if any of that ever happened my arch-deaconry would jump ship so fast.   I mean we already don't allow female priests, if female bishops where all of a sudden allowed.......funny thing I could see the arch-deaconry jumping to rome, or going Coninuing anglican or something.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2012, 09:14:07 PM »

Metropolitan JONAH has spoken at ACNA meetings along with other Orthodox Priests. Who knows. They may become Orthodox judging from the applause given to representatives of Orthodoxy.

laugh

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2012, 09:28:19 PM »

Who is this "they"?
The ones with insight.

The Three Catholic Dioceses shared ECUSA with female priests for decades. At this point the Orthodox churches are likely to get only individual priests and parishioners who develop new qualms.
Not a problem, as the heirs of Cramner have by no means ended the line of new things to have qualms about.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2012, 09:31:32 PM »

The question remains: who has better miters?

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2012, 09:42:36 PM »

cf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglican_Church_in_North_America#Inaugural_assembly
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglican_Church_in_North_America#Other_churches

SubdeaconDavid
"...the spread of the light of Orthodoxy among the peoples of all the lands where our Church exists continues as an inseparable part of our mission": Metropolitan Hilarion, First Hierarch of ROCOR
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church Abroad (ROCOR)

Помилуй мя Боже, по велицей милости Твоей

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2012, 12:00:52 AM »

Well, there a few dioceses that are heavily Anglo-Catholic- Fort Worth comes to mind. I doubt we'd see a whole-scale union with the ACNA any time soon, but (for the OCA at least) the ACNA is the only Anglican entity in America that there is any dialogue with at this time.

FWIW, Metropolitan JONAH's speech is what finally brought me over to Orthodoxy at a time I was debating the merits of remaining with the Episcopalians or going ACNA.
The ACNA cannot possibly have women priests and claim to be heirs to US Anglo-Catholic Episcopalians.  Don't you realise they have put the cancer into the ACNA?  On this level they are entirely the same as ECUSA minus the bishops.  The ACNA is not the only Anglican body in the US to have dialog with Orthodoxy.  The Anglican Catholic Church which has no women priests, was founded at the Congress of St Louis in 1978, and whose orders derive from the three bishops who consecrated the first continuing Anglican bishops in 1978 has a worldwide presence, especially large in India.  They  had a senior ROCOR priest speak at their 2009 International Synod and since then have added a feast and collects of the Russian New Martyrs. At least the ACC has no confusion about women priests. They have yet however to come to an Orthodox understanding of the nature of the Church ie. that it is one and not a branch of a tree.
http://www.anglicancatholic.org/index.php
[urlhttp://www.anglicancatholic.org.uk/][/url]

Visit my blog@  http://orthodoxtasmania.blogspot.com

To the Russians abroad it has been granted to shine in the whole world  the light of Orthodoxy, so that other peoples, seeing their good deeds, might glorify our Father in Heaven, and thus obtain salvation
S John of Shanghai & San Francisco
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2012, 01:43:35 AM »

The ACNA cannot possibly have women priests and claim to be heirs to US Anglo-Catholic Episcopalians.  Don't you realise they have put the cancer into the ACNA?  On this level they are entirely the same as ECUSA minus the bishops.  The ACNA is not the only Anglican body in the US to have dialog with Orthodoxy.  The Anglican Catholic Church which has no women priests, was founded at the Congress of St Louis in 1978, and whose orders derive from the three bishops who consecrated the first continuing Anglican bishops in 1978 has a worldwide presence, especially large in India.  They  had a senior ROCOR priest speak at their 2009 International Synod and since then have added a feast and collects of the Russian New Martyrs. At least the ACC has no confusion about women priests. They have yet however to come to an Orthodox understanding of the nature of the Church ie. that it is one and not a branch of a tree.
http://www.anglicancatholic.org/index.php
[urlhttp://www.anglicancatholic.org.uk/][/url]

Oh, I realize. Look at "Faith" under my screen name to see just how much I realize. That said, the Anglo-catholic element in the ACNA is just as Anglo-catholic as anyone left in the Anglican Communion- if that says anything at all.

You will forgive me, I hope, if I overlooked entirely the ACC- in the ensuing alphabet soup of all the different continuing Anglican movements that joined or talked about joining the ACNA it's very hard (especially for someone who has not really followed the news on these things since he started seriously investigating Orthodoxy) to keep track of what's what, who's in and who's out. Even without the current tumult of American Anglicanism it was always hard to keep track of the ACCs, the RECs, the TACs, the UECNAs, and others of the "continuing" and splinter movements; and now that I'm Orthodox I have my hands full keeping track of the alphabet soups where I can commune (GOA, OCA, AOC, ROCOR, etc) versus those where I shouldn't commune (HOCNA, AOMNSABI, TOC, GOCA, GGOCA, ad infinitum). I'll amend my statement to say that the ACNA is the only body in communion with other Anglican Communion members in dialogue.

Keble
Archon

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2012, 09:49:53 AM »

Well, on the one hand, some of this alphabet soup is getting cleaned up. The REC is now part of ACNA, and let me tell you, if women priests are an issue there, seeing the heirs of Bishop Cummins under the same roof as Bishop of Forth Worth is at least as strange. TAC is mostly disappearing into the ordinariate. I get the impression that the CEC is headed more into being yet another pentecostal group.

The flip side of this is that a lot of the continuers are extremely shy of church structure. I remember visiting Holy Cross Linthicum in the days before they bought their building, and encountering a group of visiting continuing clergy at coffee hour. One of them, a deacon from I don't recall which group, said flat out that they were completely uninterested in any kind of union among their various groups, because that was after all how ECUSA had made such a mess of their own house.

The final thing to consider is that the Three Catholic Dioceses managed to survive in ECUSA for thirty years after official ordination of women began. It may seem bizarre that Anglicans are willing to and indeed work around such difficult theological differences, but that's what we are.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2012, 12:07:05 PM »

TAC is mostly disappearing into the ordinariate.

I'm a bit surprised to hear you say that. I was under the impression that it was still only a minority of TAC who were going Romeward. (I can't recall where I heard that.)

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2012, 01:07:08 PM »

Speaking of the Episcopalians, does anyone know how they legitimize having a femal primate? I was just wondering.....

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2012, 01:16:54 PM »

Speaking of the Episcopalians, does anyone know how they legitimize having a femal primate? I was just wondering.....

PP
"tolerance" "fairness" "justice"? Some of those words come to mind in my attempts to ask them who they justify it.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2012, 01:28:42 PM »

PP
"tolerance" "fairness" "justice"? Some of those words come to mind in my attempts to ask them who they justify it.

In Christ,
Andrew
Ah, so no jusififcation other than emotion. Wonderful.

PP

Gregory the Great

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2012, 01:33:13 PM »

PP

The only thing I can think of, which may be close, is the mention by St. Paul of a greeting to a female deacon. There were female deacons at one point in the Church. I guess they figured that the goal of a deacon is often to become a priest, which led them to... Not saying they're right. Just that we did use to have at least some women deacons.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2012, 01:38:16 PM »

PP

Good question. I imagine some Episcopalian or other on this forum will be happy to respond to that.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: