OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 12:29:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reminder: Forum Administrator, whom you should contact  (Read 329545 times) Average Rating: 1
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« on: April 24, 2009, 04:03:22 PM »

Just a reminder that the Administrator of the Forum is Fr George.

When you wish to express a concern, give feedback for a job well done, make a complaint, or a suggestion, or discuss anything pertaining to the Forum, please contact Fr George

I am the owner of the site, true; but direct appeals over the head of Fr George defeat the whole purpose of having someone on the staff who is in charge of just the forum (whereas I am busy trying to develop content and keeping the site running "under the hood.")

So the next time you wish to communicate your thoughts about the forum, the right person to contact is: Fr George.

When people contact me to escalate a complaint about a moderator or about the forum aspect of the site, I will always refer these complaints to Fr George.

If you want me to be aware of a problem though, you can always use bcc: to ensure that I will see it.  But I will let Fr George respond to any communications about the forum.

If your complaint is about Fr George, then yes, you can contact me directly, but since Fr George and I are a team, we will discuss the issue together as a team.

in Christ,

Fr Anastasios

Updated March 18, 2012 to reflect current administrative structure.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 03:50:18 PM by Fr. George » Logged

Check out my personal website with 130+ articles: www.anastasioshudson.com

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 11:43:33 PM »

So what are you trying to say? Grin

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 11:51:17 PM »

Sounds like someone's passin' the buck.  laugh

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

"Yes, you are a white supremacist, ..."  ~Iconodule
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 12:13:15 AM »

I know you were joking, but Fr. A. has a lot to take care of, and it's best that people respect the division of labor, so that he doesn't get more than he needs to, and so that things don't pile up for either him or Fr. Chris because people keep putting off reporting or they report to the wrong person.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 01:30:28 AM »

I know you were joking, but Fr. A. has a lot to take care of, and it's best that people respect the division of labor, so that he doesn't get more than he needs to, and so that things don't pile up for either him or Fr. Chris because people keep putting off reporting or they report to the wrong person.

Nothing wrong with putting off reporting....those who are looking for censorship really deserve the firing squad, a short delay is the least they should get. Wink

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 04:03:57 PM »

Can I get access to the Politics forum?
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 04:12:49 PM »

Can I get access to the Politics forum?

(*very heavy sigh*)

Please read this readily available thread, one part of which contains the following:

Due to some confusion regarding who to petition for access to the Private forums (i.e., the Politics Board as well as the EO/OO Board if/when these posts move towards polemical debates), I wish to clarify the following:

If you want to post in the Private Forums, you must PM me with a message asking to do so.

Some recent petitions were made to others, and no action had yet been taken perhaps because they were assuming I was copied in. So, to prevent such problems:

PM Fr Chris for access to the Private Forums.

Once again, to clarify things:

Fr Chris is the one to be PM'ed if you want access to the Private Forums.

Thanks!  Wink

Fr Chris
Admin
(The one you should PM in case you want access to the Private Forums)

I am awaiting your action that is required by this note...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 04:13:57 PM by FrChris » Logged

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 04:47:38 AM »

^^^

Proverbs 22:7
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 04:52:09 AM »

^^^
You calling Fr. Chris's post spam!!? laugh laugh laugh

(I moved the spam post while you were constructing your reply. police)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 04:58:09 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 03:21:39 PM »

^^^
You calling Fr. Chris's post spam!!? laugh laugh laugh

(I moved the spam post while you were constructing your reply. police)

I thought that Fr. Chris's post was so beautiful reading free wedding gowns dresses thank for to sharing...   Wink

One day we will talk about why people fetishize children, but for now I'll keep on the side of humanity that doesn't think the height of life is a drinking a juice box and eating a tater tot while defecating in their pants.
carl_can

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 08:41:10 AM »

Hi, new here. I am really appreciating you for your kindness that you have made a really interesting blog, Excellent post and wonderful blog, I really like this type of interesting articles keep it up.

Spam link removed from post...  Next time, please check with Fr. Chris before posting such links to commercial Web sites. Thank you. -PtA
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 10:50:56 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Fear the Tooth

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 08:43:14 AM »

^^^

Hi, new here. I am really appreciating you for your kindness that you have made a really interesting blog, Excellent post and wonderful blog, I really like this type of interesting articles keep it up.

Very good.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 06:26:28 PM by Fr. George » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 12:50:54 PM »

Question about how to insert photos into comments has been moved to Technical Help, since it doesn't fit the purpose of this thread.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,42013.0.html
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 08:50:03 PM »

"Note: Please do not PM me about forum moderation."

That's fine and all, Fr. Anastasios, however what if the problem is with say FrChris? And what if this particular adminstrator is negligent in their duties to address modertorial issues? Why do you insist on taking such a backseat with, what is in essence, your message board? What is the reasoning that leads you to believe that one adminstrator suffices? Doesn't that leave room for one adminstrator that can enact on their vices and bias without being measured to an objective standard?

I'm not accusing said individiual on any sort of issues, but your recent signature edit has rubbed me the wrong way.

EDIT: Yes I do believe this to be a rather public matter than a private one. I think it would be beneficial for the rest of the community to hear your response.

Fr. Anastasios's decision to leave all moderation of this discussion forum to Fr. Chris and the moderator team is an administrative decision made by the owner of this site regarding how this forum is to be moderated. If you don't agree with this decision by Fr. Anastasios, you have avenues by which you can express your concern that don't involve sending Fr. Anasasios a PM directly. For instance, you have the option of using the "Contact" function in the top menu bar to express your concerns to Frs. Anastasios and Chris.

You know better than to question or criticize admin/moderator decisions publicly. For choosing to raise your disagreement with forum moderation publicly and for making this such a big issue, you are now on Post Moderation for the next 40 days. If you think this action unfair, feel free to appeal it via private message to Veniamin.

- PeterTheAleut
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 08:58:46 PM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 10:26:25 PM »

That's fine and all, Fr. Anastasios, however what if the problem is with say FrChris? And what if this particular adminstrator is negligent in their duties to address modertorial issues? Why do you insist on taking such a backseat with, what is in essence, your message board? What is the reasoning that leads you to believe that one adminstrator suffices? Doesn't that leave room for one adminstrator that can enact on their vices and bias without being measured to an objective standard?

I'm not accusing said individiual on any sort of issues, but your recent signature edit has rubbed me the wrong way.

EDIT: Yes I do believe this to be a rather public matter than a private one. I think it would be beneficial for the rest of the community to hear your response.

Did you read Fr. Anastasios' OP here:

If your complaint is about Fr Chris, then yes, you can contact me directly, but since Fr Chris and I are a team, we will discuss the issue together as a team.

If you did, then this whole matter should be discussed privately with Fr. Chris and/or Fr. Anastasios.

If you would read the links in Fr. Anastasios' signature, then you would know that he very busy in real life as a parent of young children, a pastor, and a missionary priest too as he takes care of a mission parish in addition to his own parish.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 10:29:06 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 10:27:56 PM »

And did you not read my edit:

Sorry but this really needs to be addressed publicly. And I actually would like to see Fr. Anastasios clarify what he means as "address this issue as a team".

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 10:29:46 PM »

If you would read the links in Fr. Anastasios' signature, then you would know that he very busy in real life as a parent of young children, a pastor, and a missionary priest too as he takes care of a mission parish in addition to his own parish.
Then don't run a message board as the adminstrator/owner if you don't have the time.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 10:31:46 PM »

Sorry but this really needs to be addressed publicly. And I actually would like to see Fr. Anastasios clarify what he means as "address this issue as a team".

Yes, I read your edit, did you read mine?

Again, Father has very many real-life responsibilities. He does take care of forum-related technical matters, but has left the administration to Fr. Chris. You can send a PM to Fr. Anastasios, but he most likely will discuss it with Fr. Chris. Basically, that is what you have agreed to by continuing to post here.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 10:36:12 PM »

Yes, I read your edit, did you read mine?

Again, Father has very many real-life responsibilities. He does take care of forum-related technical matters, but has left the administration to Fr. Chris. You can send a PM to Fr. Anastasios, but he most likely will discuss it with Fr. Chris. Basically, that is what you have agreed to by continuing to post here.
Again read directly above regarding his other real life responsibilities. And what I have in bold, please read my original post again.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2012, 10:48:58 PM »

Then don't run a message board as the adminstrator/owner if you don't have the time.

Frankly, what business is it of your's if Fr Anastasios has created a message board using his own resources, developed it over the years and then given it over to others to run because he doesn't have time to devote to it because of his myriad other responsibilities as a priest?  Why should he answer to you or to anyone else about this?  What about this is so hard for you to understand?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 10:51:57 PM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2012, 10:54:38 PM »

Jan Hammer?

No, Ban Hammer.  Tongue

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2012, 10:56:22 PM »

EDIT: Nevermind. I will await for Fr. Anastasios to speak.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 10:57:16 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2012, 11:01:49 PM »

Frankly, what business is it of your's if Fr Anastasios has created a message board using his own resources, developed it over the years and then given it over to others to run because he doesn't have time to devote to it because of his myriad other responsibilities as a priest?  Why should he answer to you or to anyone else about this?  What about this is so hard for you to understand?

There are two elements to Achronos' OP. So far, only one has been commented on.
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2012, 11:16:55 PM »

If Achronos has a problem with Fr Chris, he can cc Fr Anastasios.  Fr. Anastasios can decide himself if he wishes to act on the issue at hand, since he has made it clear in his message to community members that he trusts Fr Chris implicitly to run this board.  He has made it clear in his message that the "buck stops at Fr Chris" unless Fr Anastasios really decides that he wants to intervene (after having discussed the matter with Fr Chris), and chances are great that he will not want to.  I think it is very clear.  

If Fr Chris did not have final say, then it would still be Fr Anastasios who had the last word.  In any event,  moderatorial decisions are made in a collegial manner, with the entire moderatorial staff having input.  Discipline is not meted out lightly or arbitrarily, and there is an appeal process, should a member disagree with how their case is handled.  

IMHO, the entire moderation process is very collegially handled, and not just by one administrator, far from it.  However, in the end, even is this were not true, Fr Anastasios would be under no obligation to make it so.  This is not a website under the care or oversight of any ecclesial jurisdiction.  It is a private site that Fr Anastasios created, and he may run it in any way he sees fit. 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 11:44:20 PM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2012, 11:31:15 PM »

If Achronos has a problem with Fr Chris, he can cc Fr Anastasios.
Where in my original message did I have a problem with FrChris? Would you be so kind to point that out. Thanks.

Fr. Anastasios can decide himself if he wishes to act on the issue at hand, since he has made it clear in his message to community members that he trusts Fr Chris implicitly to run this board.
Did you not read my original post?

He has made it clear in his message that the "buck stops at Fr Chris" unless Fr Anastasios really decides that he wants to intervene (after having discussed the matter with Fr Chris), and chances are great that he will not want to.  I think it is very clear.  
Well clearly it's not, which is why I asked the questions that I did. And nothing you said here has anything to do with my OP.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2012, 11:53:28 PM »

This is not a website under the care or oversight of any ecclesial jurisdiction.  It is a private site that Fr Anastasios created, and he may run it in any way he sees fit.  
Which basically means there is little to no accountability in regards to integrity, mutual trust, honesty, etc. Doesn't OC.net have an obligation to its members and future members to uphold core Orthodox Christian values? Is it wrong to suggest a few metropolises should be involved in the administration of this site since well this is about Orthodox Christianity? For alot of new individuals this could be their first exposure to Orthodoxy, and if the staff on this site isn't consistent with its behavior or upholding certain values, then is this site a true witness to the Gospel of Jesus Christ?

Oh btw is there a disclaimer on this site that the opinions and statements made are not an accurate expression of the Orthodox Church, as a whole?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 11:57:32 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2012, 11:55:40 PM »

Where in my original message did I have a problem with FrChris? Would you be so kind to point that out. Thanks.

I should have said "if Achronos or anyone else has a problem with Fr Chris" since you referred to this as a "what if" scenario in your post:

That's fine and all, Fr. Anastasios, however what if the problem is with say FrChris? And what if this particular adminstrator is negligent in their duties to address modertorial issues?

He has made it clear in his message that the "buck stops at Fr Chris" unless Fr Anastasios really decides that he wants to intervene (after having discussed the matter with Fr Chris), and chances are great that he will not want to.  I think it is very clear.  

Well clearly it's not, which is why I asked the questions that I did. And nothing you said here has anything to do with my OP.

It has everything to do with it.  You simply don't get it.  
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 11:57:10 PM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2012, 11:59:07 PM »

Thread locked until the moderator team has had a chance to decide whether we wish to support this kind of public commentary about what is essentially an admin's moderatorial decision.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2012, 05:43:07 PM »

All the "serious" questions that have been asked were answered by Fr. Anastasios' post above:

That's fine and all, Fr. Anastasios, however what if the problem is with say FrChris?

If your complaint is about Fr Chris, then yes, you can contact me directly

------------------------------------------------------------

And what if this particular adminstrator is negligent in their duties to address modertorial issues?

Why do you insist on taking such a backseat with, what is in essence, your message board? What is the reasoning that leads you to believe that one adminstrator suffices?

I am busy trying to develop content and keeping the site running "under the hood.

N.B. It is not, "in essence," his message board - it IS his message board.  He is its co-founder, administrator, and owner.

I am the owner of the site

Doesn't that leave room for one adminstrator that can enact on their vices and bias without being measured to an objective standard?

It is Fr. Anastasios' idea to have one person in charge of the forum:

the whole purpose of having someone on the staff who is in charge of just the forum

If you feel that this system is flawed, then:

So the next time you wish to communicate your thoughts about the forum, the right person to contact is: Fr Chris.

And if you think he is the problem, then:

No one asked you to like how the owner of the forum communicates his thoughts in his forum signature.  And, verily, no one asked you for your opinion on it.  He's already responded to as much as he needs to in the publicly available material on the site.

This thread shall remain locked.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 05:43:51 PM by Fr. George » Logged

---------------------
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2012, 03:04:16 PM »

I must say that I enjoy assisting Father A on oc.net.  I've been a moderator for years.  He provides a place to discuss, read, and learn.  The mod staff and administration here gladly give up a bit of their time to help make oc.net flow and run better.  It's called teamwork.  Father A is a busy man.  He is a good man.  The mod staff are good men and women.  The Admin team are good folk.  With 5 digit per month postings not one man alone could moderate oc.net.  Moderation means making sure board rules are followed.  We make sure no one attacks, threatens or harasses another member.  We make sure people do not plagarize copyrighted material.  It takes a lot to run a board of this popularity.  And I can say we really care about Orthodoxy, you the posters, each other who are on the mod staff and we are thankful that Father A maintains the server space and software that goes in to running oc.net, a place that is growing faster each day.

Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2012, 06:11:52 PM »

Is it wrong to suggest a few metropolises should be involved in the administration of this site since well this is about Orthodox Christianity?

Are you interested in getting to know how it works in practise?

I am a staff member of a Polish website about the Orthodox Church. It was set up almost 10 years ago by a group of members of the Brotherhod of the Orthodox Youth (Polish Orthodox youth NGO). Since it's creation it has had several dosens of the crew including priests, future priests, seminarians, theology students, lay Church employees, the Brotherhod of the Orthodox Youth members, clergy relatives and also laymen with no connection to the "official Church". The website has never had an official Church supervision. It is overseed and owned by another one NGO Prawosławna Inicjatywa OthNet (Orthodox Initiative OrthNet) that also owns OrthPhoto.net. It has not become an official Church website (despite being much more popular and developed than the official one) because all the materials published there would must be approved by the Metropolitan - his condition.

There have been some small conflicts with the "official Church". Some priests or hierarchs have been asking or insisting to remove some materials, articles, posts or comments. Usually they have been politely refused (unless that were very serious and well motivated cases). Generally the typical attitude in tle clergy circles was something like "We are not fond of your activities but we won't forbid it to you" or "You have good ideas but you should do it with more toning down" or "You rascals Wink" - with a wink. On the other hand the website has sometimes been relieving the official Church press-services with spreading information because they are sometimes not sufficient. It was running more-less smoothly.

Last year (or two years ago) there was a gossip running around the crew that one bishop is about suing the site owners for a user's comment not nice to him. The site owners without checking that with him (it later proved to be false) in an act of autocensorship decided to turn off the forum and comments. When it was made clear that the gossip was false that features were not turned on back because "such thing might have taken place". The biggest (frankly - the only) one place for the Polish Orthodox Christians to discuss Church matters disappeared and it doesn't look like it will change soon. Daily visits amount is a half of the one that used to be with comments and forum (1300 to 3000). Some more autocensorship tendencies can be noticed among the crew.

Just some thoughts.

edit: If anyone would like to discuss my case feel free to start a new thread. The discussion about changing this site's governance is the one that is locked.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 07:07:10 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

no longer posting here
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: