Author Topic: Voluntary Muting  (Read 1104 times)

Offline FatherGiryus

• You are being watched.
  • Archon
Voluntary Muting
« on: February 05, 2012, 07:40:28 PM »
Quick question: can a Forum member request 'voluntary muting'?  The reason I ask is that I'm thinking of extending my Lenten fasting of my internet participation in a new way, and was wondering how I could 'switch off' my account so that I don't get into any unprofitable squabbles during a season frought with temptations.  Is this possible?
http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb

Offline FrChris

• The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
  • Site Supporter
  • Taxiarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!
Re: Voluntary Muting
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 07:43:36 PM »
Quick question: can a Forum member request 'voluntary muting'?  The reason I ask is that I'm thinking of extending my Lenten fasting of my internet participation in a new way, and was wondering how I could 'switch off' my account so that I don't get into any unprofitable squabbles during a season frought with temptations.  Is this possible?

We have had posters here do a "voluntary muting" by exerting their own self control and not logging in.

If a person wants us to mute them, how does it stretch anyone's self control to not do something that they couldn't do anyway?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 08:01:17 PM by FrChris »
"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
  • Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 07:58:39 PM »
ozgeorge used to post in his signature line "I am not posting here during Lent."  I suppose if you do that and you also logged out from the site with your browser, you would have to go through the process of logging in to post on the site so that might be a deterrent.

Or you could install web filtering software and put our website in the blocked list :)
Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism and may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.

Offline FatherGiryus

• You are being watched.
  • Archon
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 09:34:45 PM »
Oh, I think it is helpful at times to have an extra layer of security at times.  Kind of like a seatbelt.   ;D

Quick question: can a Forum member request 'voluntary muting'?  The reason I ask is that I'm thinking of extending my Lenten fasting of my internet participation in a new way, and was wondering how I could 'switch off' my account so that I don't get into any unprofitable squabbles during a season frought with temptations.  Is this possible?

We have had posters here do a "voluntary muting" by exerting their own self control and not logging in.

If a person wants us to mute them, how does it stretch anyone's self control to not do something that they couldn't do anyway?
http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 12:26:37 AM »
I suppose we're already planning our annual Clean Monday site blackout for 2012-02-27.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 12:26:56 AM by PeterTheAleut »
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 01:00:18 PM »
I like to think of web filtering and the like as a sorta chemical castration, which I have been doing for some time.

Works wonderfully.

EDIT: The chemical castration, not the web filtering. Let's not get carried away here.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 01:01:01 PM by orthonorm »
If you have PMed me, the mods have taken my ability to PM away. Please see my email if you wish to contact me during my time of trial.

Offline Αριστοκλής

• Merarches
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 06:35:02 PM »
Quick question: can a Forum member request 'voluntary muting'?  The reason I ask is that I'm thinking of extending my Lenten fasting of my internet participation in a new way, and was wondering how I could 'switch off' my account so that I don't get into any unprofitable squabbles during a season frought with temptations.  Is this possible?

I have found that just not turning on the power switch on my PC does the same thing. That one must struggle a little to resist the temptation to just peek is not a bad thing during the fast  ;)
"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 10:41:11 PM »

Father,

Wouldn't being muted prevent you from seeing the many prayer requests that are made on OC.net daily?

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 12:14:50 AM »

Father,

Wouldn't being muted prevent you from seeing the many prayer requests that are made on OC.net daily?
No. One who is muted can read posts on this forum but cannot write posts.
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 12:28:23 AM »
My point being that if he wants to limit his time on OC.net maybe the Prayer forum is the best place to be.

Offline Cavaradossi

• 法網恢恢,疏而不漏
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 12:32:33 AM »
I think I know how one might procure a 'voluntary muting', although he would not be able to dictate the length of his muting if he attempted to obtain one.
Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.